Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How long before Irish reunification? (Part 2) Threadbans in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 69,219 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

jh79 wrote: »
    You think one will be called once COVID stabilizes, which would be imminent given it's impossible to hold one while COVID is around.

Boris might be tempted to go rogue and exploit ambiguity in the GFA but I'm sure Foster et al would refuse to partake and it would be the end of the GFA.

The poll itself will not be imminent, but a two maybe three year lead in.

Strategically what good would it do Unionism to refuse and bring down the GFA?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,426 ✭✭✭maestroamado

It seems after all the trouble over 30 years now NI is in a pretty pecarious position as i do not see anyone saying anything about United Ireland at the moment.
    I think Boris is playing a clever game with EU, NI want to be part of the EU trade while also being alined to UK and all that goes with it.
    At the end of the day it will come down to who is prepared to pay for all the shenanigans in NI.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 548 ✭✭✭JasonStatham

Why not have the poll before xmas??

Though i think,the universally accepted date is 2023 as its 25th anniversairy of the gfa.....too far away,given demographics imo

Wasn't it 2024 in Star Trek haha.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,760 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

downcow wrote: »
    The anchor person on our Bbc morning news programme is from ROI and she went off script this morning, controversially I thought, by expressing her wish that her entire family had moved to ni. She was referring to the vaccine rollout and that her 85 mother in Donegal hasn’t even got it yet.
    To quote her exactly, she said
    “If we had all moved lock, stock and barrel to Northern Ireland.........it would have been a different story”, and she went on “it’s really quite extraordinary that you can have a really different experience........just 10 miles from each other, quite incredible”

You may send her some of that data about how brilliant Roi is, quickly before she moves her entire family to this 3rd world hell hole, based on her warped personal experience. Lol

She will be getting in this or next week.

Perhaps she wants her family to move to NI to help swing the UI vote. :D

why would the DUP throwing a sulk end the gfa,they opposed it,to begin with?

Demographics are tipping over and over everyday,boris can exploit ambiguity all he wants....but deosnt this make condemning dissidents impossible,as they would be fighting with a majority behind em and againest undemocratic practices??

They stoked up a big huff about the Protocol...Edwin Poots pretended there was a terrorist threat. Arlene talked the talk and asked people to sign a petition...the petition has reached the grand total of 135,000 concerned people across the UK (and Tuvalu :))

Judge for yourself what is going on.

• Advertisement

I honestly think anyone involved in this dangerous subversion of democracy should resign and even be charged. Absolutely unacceptable behaviour.

This morning PSNI Chief Constable Simon Byrne was asked by
    @StephenNolan
    : "Were you aware of any credible threats on any staff in Belfast or Larne port?"
    The Chief Constable replied: "No we weren't. We didn't have that credible information you talk about".

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭bonzothedog

I deal with a few Protestant lads up North in business and I must say they are the soundest lads you could meet, we avoid all talks of politics and soccer! they are mad NI supporters. I think the majority of unionists are concerned about a border poll considering they often grew up in environments that told them to hate Catholics and they would still be mistrustful of the likes of Sinn Fein. We need to reach out to these people and find a common ground and if the vote were to proceed to hear them out and give them assurance and basically be sound with them! Peace to all on this island.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,626 ✭✭✭✭downcow

If Michelle thinks the Protocol will be dropped she is wrong. Like everybody else she most likely believes that 'easements and flexibilities' available to the UK to implement need to be used. To me this proves she believes that, seh kinda spells it out :)

The fact is downcow (and you are about to find out) to be in the 'unenviable position' UNIONISM needs to accept the Protocol, needs to accept that they are in the EU for trade and that they have to come closer to Dublin economically than London.

Where did you get the idea I thought the protocol would be scrapped.
    Seems you have moved to my position. I only want the issues sorted out. And I am confident they will be

• Registered Users Posts: 11,300 ✭✭✭✭jm08

I took two pedigree bulls to Stirling in 2020. I sold one and the other didn’t sell so I brought him home and sold him. He is enjoying live now impregnating norther Irish females.
    If the protocol had existed then I could not have brought him home and he would have had to be turned into scottish burgers. But I could have bought a scottish bull and brought him home
    Does anyone think that is sensible?

So, the problem was that you didn't have anyone in Stirling to certify its health so that your bull could be reimported back into NI.

You could have bought a stirling bull back then because it would be in the EU's testing regime. It makes perfect sense to me.

There is a documentary about a gay bull from Clare that ended up in a animal santuary in England. It explains very clearly that back then, there was a lot of precedures to go through to export the bull to England - and that was back then when England was in the EU.

Wasn't it 2024 in Star Trek haha.

Lol

Gerry said there would be a United ireland by 2016

• Advertisement

I honestly think anyone involved in this dangerous subversion of democracy should resign and even be charged. Absolutely unacceptable behaviour.

Unfortunately the unionists have watched Leo and friends doing exactly the same for the last few years.

Did you not believe the loyalist paramilitaries when they said they were no involved in any threats??

Haha, I look forward to the shinners who also voted to withdraw the workers resigning lol - and that was before Poots moved

Where did you get the idea I thought the protocol would be scrapped.
    Seems you have moved to my position. I only want the issues sorted out. And I am confident they will be

Fair enough, that's one Unionist who has accepted that NI needs to be in the EU for trade and that there needs to be a Protocol to cover that.

Why you signed a petition asking for the protocol to be removed is anyone's guess.

jm08 wrote: »
    So, the problem was that you didn't have anyone in Stirling to certify its health so that your bull could be reimported back into NI.

You could have bought a stirling bull back then because it would be in the EU's testing regime. It makes perfect sense to me.

There is a documentary about a gay bull from Clare that ended up in a animal santuary in England. It explains very clearly that back then, there was a lot of precedures to go through to export the bull to England - and that was back then when England was in the EU.

Wrong
    If I was at a sale next week in Stirling I can buy an English bull and bring it home with me. If I buy a Northern Irish bull or try to bring my own unsold bull home with me, I can’t.
    I can get 10 health inspectors to do every test possible and stand on their heads for a week, but I still can’t bring it home.

Now does that make perfect sense??

I suppose it makes perfect EU sense.

Fair enough, that's one Unionist who has accepted that NI needs to be in the EU for trade and that there needs to be a Protocol to cover that.

Why you signed a petition asking for the protocol to be removed is anyone's guess.

Did you ever buy a car Francie. If you wanted it for £5,000, would £5,000 be your opening offer?

Do you think that Arlene thinks it will be scrapped. It will be like the AIA. Because of all the fuss over it it will quietly be neutered

Did you ever buy a car Francie. If you wanted it for £5,000, would £5,000 be your opening offer?

Do you think that Arlene thinks it will be scrapped. It will be like the AIA. Because of all the fuss over it it will quietly be neutered

The AIA was quietly neutered? Okie doke. :):)

Wrong
    If I was at a sale next week in Stirling I can buy an English bull and bring it home with me. If I buy a Northern Irish bull or try to bring my own unsold bull home with me, I can’t.
    I can get 10 health inspectors to do every test possible and stand on their heads for a week, but I still can’t bring it home.

Why you won't show the rules governing this is suspicious.

Does anyone else know what rule this is?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,300 ✭✭✭✭jm08

Wrong

I looked up the rules on UK Gov. website:

Health certificate guarantees

The animals to be imported must be accompanied by
    • a valid health certificate signed by an Official Veterinarian (OV) appointed by the appropriate authority in Great Britain. The necessary health certificate and the conditions therein required for export from GB to NI can be viewed here(external link opens in a new window / tab).

The info here is quite good. You should read it. https://www.daera-ni.gov.uk/articles/cattle-imports-gb

• Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Junkyard Tom

Clearly not what Michelle thinks. She is clear that she thinks we will have access to gb & Eu once the current issues are remedied.

Michelle is no fool, she understands that it is critical that the northeast of Ireland remains in the EU as regards trading arrangements because it allows Ireland's unification economically, socially, and psychologically, to continue as before.

In a matter of years the final piece of the puzzle will be to unite politically because we will be united in every other way except in the minds of about 30% of the population of the north.

Michelle is no fool, she understands that it is critical that the northeast of Ireland remains in the EU as regards trading arrangements because it allows Ireland's unification economically, socially and psychologically, to continue as before.

In a matter of years the final piece of the puzzle will be to unite politically because we will be united in every other way except in the minds of about 30% of the population of the north.

Why is she not asking for a poll to achieve what SF and all Governments in Republic have aspired for for last 100 years.

Why is she not asking for a poll to achieve what SF and all Governments in Republic have aspired for for last 100 years.

I think they are aren't they? Listen, this is hundreds of years in the making, there's no rush in my view. Let the effects of Brexit bed-in. I have a feeling that the north will be in the sights of 'er Maj's Treasury soon enough.

• Advertisement

I think they are aren't they? Listen, this is hundreds of years in the making, there's no rush in my view. Let the effects of Brexit bed-in. I have a feeling that the north will be in the sights of 'er Maj's Treasury soon enough.

I agree and for me this is what Boris wants, if EU and UK agree to economically devide UK, why do UK pick up all the running cost of keeping status quo.
    I doubt the UK will comntinue and for me they want out...

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,760 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

If they (GB) left the EU for £350 million a week, would they jettison NI for a bit more than that?

Lol

Gerry said there would be a United ireland by 2016

Yes, I saw that as well. I didn't think that prediction was realistic before Brexit.

But now I think a lot of people are taking a UI more seriously. Gerry Adams will probably see a UI in his lifetime.

I agree and for me this is what Boris wants, if EU and UK agree to economically devide UK, why do UK pick up all the running cost of keeping status quo.
    I doubt the UK will comntinue and for me they want out...

If they could offload the north and redirect the money to keeping Scotland dependent they'd do it in a heartbeat.

In geopolitical terms Scotland leaving the UK would be a catastrophe for England/London. England essentially considers all of Britain 'Greater England' with some pesky natives living on its periphery.

Maybe they are waiting to see what happens in the next NI elections? A SF First Minister would probably have more legitimacy to ask for it?

If they (GB) left the EU for £350 million a week, would they jettison NI for a bit more than that?

Imagine a big green bus doing the rounds in London with '£400m a week for the NHS, let Ireland Unite' on the side of it...

Imagine a big green bus doing the rounds in London with '£400m a week for the NHS, let Ireland Unite' on the side of it...

Or a big red bus with 'Make Ireland Unite and save £400 million a week for the NHS!'

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

If they could offload the north and redirect the money to keeping Scotland dependent they'd do it in a heartbeat.

In geopolitical terms Scotland leaving the UK would be a catastrophe for England/London. England essentially considers all of Britain 'Greater England' with some pesky natives living on its periphery.

The Brexit deal that the Brits got makes reunifcation less likely, its not a bad deall at all for the six counties

If Scotland left, it might spur some drive towards a border poll, but I don't see the Scots leaving.

Bambi wrote: »
    The Brexit deal that the Brits got makes reunifcation less likely

Why?

• Advertisement

So for me we now have a situation where half of the people in NI want to be British and in EU,the other half say they want to join Republic and be in EU.
    Its a crazy situation and i expect when Covid settels either we will have border deviding NI and Republic or there will be process for border poll whenever.
    I expect the EU will have to work on this one as asking British to have internal checks cannot work. Obviously NI politicians had no input into creating Irish sea border checks..

Advertisement