Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How long before Irish reunification? (Part 2) Threadbans in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,273 ✭✭✭jh79

Personally il go,with high profile figures who come out in favour of it and work from there as outrage culture usually makes those who agree/disagree identifible

Loyalists walked away from too many killings of innocents and collusion for me to funnel money to those who join forces with them (each to their own like,just my choices)

Harsh realities of the economics involved will do more damage than any individual or organisations.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,625 ✭✭✭✭downcow

You'd say? Have you talked to a majority of Nationalists? Seems odd that you have established this "fact" and yet I have never seen anyone call for an independent NI nor have I seen poll figures showing it is wanted by anyone.

---

The GFA s a roadmap to a UI.

For another roadmap, to say your ill-thought out independent NI, would require an All Island consensus and a buy in from everybody, that is plainly not there, to replace what we have.

Who is going to do that? It's cracked.

What gives you this idea. the GFA is every bit as much a roadmap to a permanent place in the UK for Northern Ireland.
    We can argue over specific polls, but what is very clear is that there is certainly not an increasing percentage in Northern Ireland wishing for a united Island. So if anything the GFA is a roadmap allowing Republicans to save face as they want all except a united Island but never happen

Just my personal choices anyway

Fcuk the uda,and all those who side with them,

they killed dozens at tail end of the troubles with help of security forces and got no push back for it,a utd ireland is ultimate 2 fingers to them

Only for likes of martin doherty,they would likely killed dozens that night in dublin,and you still have people here side with them

I hold the UDA in the same regard as the IRA.

Not sure the relevance of this to the financial difficulties an UI would bring.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,625 ✭✭✭✭downcow

mehico wrote: »
    No of course I don't want to disregard the Unionist community but to answer the first part of your question, yes unionist voting trends have changed.

Changes in voting trends are being misrepresented.
    Every country ebbs and flows in support for one party or other.
    There has been a rise in vote for the Alliance party - I don't see any other dramatic changes over the last decade.
    A rise in the Alliance party vote should concern those who want to unite this landmass into one country.
    A recent poll of Alliance party voters showed that they were in favour of remaining in the UK by 3 to 1.
    Polls, to the dismay of Republicans, continue to remain fairly static with regard to the population having any interest uniting the island. It seems there are about 25% who would like to unite. That is a very steep hill to climb

• Registered Users Posts: 69,154 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

downcow wrote: »
    Changes in voting trends are being misrepresented.
    Every country ebbs and flows in support for one party or other.
    There has been a rise in vote for the Alliance party - I don't see any other dramatic changes over the last decade.
    A rise in the Alliance party vote should concern those who want to unite this landmass into one country.
    A recent poll of Alliance party voters showed that they were in favour of remaining in the UK by 3 to 1.
    Polls, to the dismay of Republicans, continue to remain fairly static with regard to the population having any interest uniting the island. It seems there are about 25% who would like to unite. That is a very steep hill to climb

Head in the sand stuff there downcow.
    It showed 46.8% in Northern Ireland would vote to remain in the UK, while 45.4% would vote for a united Ireland. 7.8% said they would unsure how they would vote.

LucidTalk ran the same poll in the Republic of Ireland, where 73.1% of respondents said they would vote for Northern Ireland to be part of a united Ireland, while 10.2% said they would vote in favour of Northern Ireland remaining in the UK. 16.7% of respondents said they didn't know what way to vote.

https://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/news/northern-ireland/northern-ireland-poll-shows-454-back-irish-unity-and-468-support-union-with-uk-38989093.html

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

No I won't refrain from using it. It is such a well known term it even has it's own Wickie page:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Partitionism#:~:text=In%20Ireland%2C%20partitionism%20(Irish%3A,people%20who%20live%20within%20them.

So its used by SF. Nobody else, SF and SF supporters

Just my personal choices anyway

Fcuk the uda,and all those who side with them,

they killed dozens at tail end of the troubles with help of security forces and got no push back for it,a utd ireland is ultimate 2 fingers to them

Only for likes of martin doherty,they would likely killed dozens that night in dublin,and you still have people here side with them

IRA killed plenty and also after the Good Friday they continued to kil people.

So the only issue you have with the UDA is what exactly?

Your free to.hold such a view,not morally equals imo but whatever

Any indo finicial figures i seen (imf put it at 4.6 f
    To 5.4 billion deficit for NI),free state spending in 2017 went from 77 to 81 billion without entering deficit i think its achievbele anyway

And it wipes the smirk of sammy wilson and his bigot buddies faces aswell,and you cant put a price on that

That would just maintain NI as it is, essentially economic partition. It's the funding required to match the 26's economic policy that's the problem.

I am liking the way people are totally disregarding the unionist. Is that not what the English did to the Catholics and started the whole troubles?

How stupid would it be to disregard a whole community and then start off another load of bombing? seems like a few people on here would just like to forget about that issue and just ignore it. Sensible people will ask that question.

Plus all your polls, did any of them ask about having a united Ireland but your tax would increase by an extra 5-10% oper year to pay for Norther Ireland? if not then they are irrelevant results in Rep of Ireland.

Few people burying head in sand around her.

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    So its used by SF. Nobody else, SF and SF supporters

I think R. F. Foster and Austin Currie or the editors of the Derry Journal would take grave exception to being called Shinners Shef.

Did you also 'not know' they weren't in SF? :)

It's also used in other parts of the world too Shef. Here is it's definition in Canada.
    https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/partitionist

• Advertisement

I am liking the way people are totally disregarding the unionist. Is that not what the English did to the Catholics and started the whole troubles?

How stupid would it be to disregard a whole community and then start off another load of bombing? seems like a few people on here would just like to forget about that issue and just ignore it. Sensible people will ask that question.

Plus all your polls, did any of them ask about having a united Ireland but your tax would increase by an extra 5-10% oper year to pay for Norther Ireland? if not then they are irrelevant results in Rep of Ireland.

Few people burying head in sand around her.

Who is 'disregarding' the Unionist?

I think R. F. Foster and Austin Currie or the editors of the Derry Journal would take grave exception to being called Shinners Shef.

Did you also 'not know' they weren't in SF? :)

It's also used in other parts of the world too Shef. Here is it's definition in Canada.
    https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/partitionist

Anything apart from wiki with a reference? I have googled and mostly I see it used by crack pot SF fans on facebook. Most of them who can't even spell it.

I think the best was a picture of Brexit on RTE and they wanted to launch a campaign against RTE because they had a union jack on Northern Ireland :P:P:P:P:P:P

If you want to stick me in the group called "partitionist" and you are in the group with those crackpots. Off you go. I know which one I am better off in

Who is 'disregarding' the Unionist?

Best to read the comments from your fellow SF members!

Anything apart from wiki with a reference? I have googled and mostly I see it used by crack pot SF fans on facebook. Most of them who can't even spell it.

I think the best was a picture of Brexit on RTE and they wanted to launch a campaign against RTE because they had a union jack on Northern Ireland :P:P:P:P:P:P

If you want to stick me in the group called "partitionist" and you are in the group with those crackpots. Off you go. I know which one I am better off in

Funny that. You live in a world where you never heard the term and your google mostly takes you to Facebook when you google 'partitionist'.

Here's where mine takes me.

https://www.google.com/search?q=Partitionist&ei=13XbXpmVLZup1fAPp_OOmAc&start=0&sa=N&ved=2ahUKEwjZ3IyXg-3pAhWbVBUIHae5A3M4HhDy0wN6BAgLECw&biw=1097&bih=526

You wouldn't have been bluffing about both things Shef by any chance? :)

Funny that. You live in a world where you never heard the term and your google mostly takes you to Facebook when you google 'partitionist'.

Here's where mine takes me.

https://www.google.com/search?q=Partitionist&ei=13XbXpmVLZup1fAPp_OOmAc&start=0&sa=N&ved=2ahUKEwjZ3IyXg-3pAhWbVBUIHae5A3M4HhDy0wN6BAgLECw&biw=1097&bih=526

You wouldn't have been bluffing about both things Shef by any chance? :)

Has anyone said the word? apart from SF.

Best to read the comments from your fellow SF members!

Come on Shef...you made the claim...back it up?

There has been some discussion on this on this thread and Unionists have nothing to fear in maintaining their identity as British or in any other areas.

I know I am open to discussions about flags, anthems, language, The CW etc etc.

Killed mates of me dads and relatives of mine

Now your free to politically side with them in opposing a utd ireland all you want and hide behind emojis....but your their equal when you side with em imo

Sorry but I have seen too many of your stories so I dont believe a word of it.

Back to the point, are you saying the UDA killing someone is worse to the IRA killing someone?

To me killing someone is equal no matter who done it.

Come on Shef...you made the claim...back it up?

There has been some discussion on this on this thread and Unionists have nothing to fear in maintaining their identity as British or in any other areas.

I know I am open to discussions about flags, anthems, language, The CW etc etc.

As I said originally who uses the word, best you can come up with is Wiki and a reference to SF. So find someone, anyojne who uses it apart from SF and SF supporters?

If it is such a popular word then politicians all over the World would use it.

You can try change the subject but that was the original post, you have yet to answer. So please. Answer and if not then refrain from using the word.

As I said originally who uses the word, best you can come up with is Wiki and a reference to SF. So find someone, anyojne who uses it apart from SF and SF supporters?

If it is such a popular word then politicians all over the World would use it.

You can try change the subject but that was the original post, you have yet to answer. So please. Answer and if not then refrain from using the word.

:)

Sticking to the obvious and provable lie that only SF use it.

I use it. It is a definable term, and a legitimate word.

Your fear of owning your own stance, is your own fear. It won't 'refrain' me or anyone else using the word.

You asked why people have issue with uda and now hid behind bullsh1t as you dislike answer...childish tbh

This wasnt what i said though,your imagination is at you i fear

Indeed,it is equal....so is this why likely why yous want to side with uda in supporting partition???

When did I say I support the UDA? Please quote

So you want to say anyone in the North who doesn’t want a United Ireland supports the UDA?

That’s a horrible opinion to hold, are people on both sides now allowed to have their own opinion?

• Advertisement

:)

Sticking to the obvious and provable lie that only SF use it.

I use it. It is a definable term, and a legitimate word.

Your fear of owning your own stance, is your own fear. It won't 'refrain' me or anyone else using the word.

How many posts now, let’s go back to the original question

“Who uses it? I have never heard it before?“

So anyone use it apart from SF? Seems a fairly simple question to me

How many posts now, let’s go back to the original question

“Who uses it? I have never heard it before?“

So anyone use it apart from SF? Seems a fairly simple question to me

I use it.

And I will continue to use it, thank you very much, as it defines a political ideology that wants to keep this island partitioned.

If you still have an issue, I think you need to report anybody using it. It is an acceptable and legitimate term catalogued in dictionaries and used by many, as shown.

I use it.

And I will continue to use it, thank you very much, as it defines a political ideology that wants to keep this island partitioned.

If you still have an issue, I think you need to report anybody using it. It is an acceptable and legitimate term catalogued in dictionaries and used by many, as shown.

The definition always includes treating the 2 countries differently as practiced by SF last week with their amendment to the abortion bill.

jh79 wrote: »
    The definition always includes treating the 2 countries differently as practiced by SF last week with their amendment to the abortion bill.

If you wish to call SF 'partitionist', go ahead. I disagree.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,085 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

jh79 wrote: »
    End result is irrelevant in the context of SF not having an all island approach and engaging in partitionist politics.

And in the context of "Sinn Féin don't own reunification; so is it possible for you to talk about anything related to a UI without bringing SF into it"?

They had a chance of running Ireland and they ran into the shadows till the real politicians came up with a plan, then SF pop back out complaining

They are more afraid than the rest of us at been given power because they know they will make a balls of it, just look at North. Three years without a government, another example of how poor Mary Lou is. Any country in the world ever go 3 years with their government shut down because of children bickering?

And we are supposed to believe they know how to unite Ireland? Your having a laugh.

Belgium went a good long while. It happens. It's not a big deal.

What was a big deal was the DUP reneging on a deal about the ILA and kicking up a fuss in Westminster because they held the balance of power there.

Stormont wasn't interesting enough for them while they played with the adults in London.

As regards a UI, it's the Constitutional aspiration of this State coupled with it bring a goal for ALL parties. It's not Sinn Féin's alone.

Your entitled to your opinion,as am.i...that those who support partition,politically align with the uda and il boycott and cancel as much of my business as i can with those who hold that side with them (and encourage efforts,by others to do so,within reason)

Never said yous support the uda either?

So you are saying, that if someone doesn't support a United Ireland they are supporters of the UDA?

Majoiritry also know the Northg is a mess and something the Rep of Ireland cannot afford. Let the brits pay for it

Here we go... Let's rehash this one again...

Are you accusing me of "act or agitates to partition"?

You want the partition of the island to continue. You are therefore a Partitionist.

• Advertisement

And in the context of "Sinn Féin don't own reunification; so is it possible for you to talk about anything related to a UI without bringing SF into it?"

What else is there ro talk about not like an UI is happening any time soon, if at all.

Advertisement