Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How long before Irish reunification? (Part 2) Threadbans in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 69,220 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

downcow wrote: »
    I am usually proved right on here.
    I have from good authority that the officer who intervened was a catholic from ROI and the officer who made the arrest was a catholic from ROI.
    There were only two officers involved who were fresh out of training college and at least one of them was catholic
    Will Michelle have the bulls to apologise and admit she was wrong. Not a chance. She’s fit in well on this thread.

I amn staking any reputation I have here on the fact that the officer who is being accused by Michele of being sectarian is a catholic. Watch this space. And the chief con is a total coward

The PSNI have apologised for their behaviour and suspended an officer.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,623 ✭✭✭Fionn1952

Fionn. Do you know that the offending officer is one of your own?

One of my own? He's an atheist from a mixed cultural background is he?!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,626 ✭✭✭✭downcow

An Roi catholic officer.

The Psni did not apologise. The nutter who is in charge apologised. He has form for hanging junior officers out to dry.
    His days are numbered
    https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-manchester-45553979

I think he had a mood swing

An Roi catholic officer.

I don't care who he is. If his actions warranted suspension and an apology from the force, so be it.

• Advertisement

The Psni did not apologise. The nutter who is in charge apologised. He has form for hanging junior officers out to dry.
    His days are numbered

'Britain didn't apologise, it was only the Queen'

'Ireland didn't apologise, only the Taoiseach'.

Certain people in positions of authority speak on behalf of their organisation, Downcow. If one of your employees did something wrong and you apologised, most would read it as an apology on behalf of your company.....unless you're suggesting he was making a personal apology for something he did wrong?

Nice to see you, as a, 'moderate Unionist' taking the Jim Allister approach to this though....

His days are numbered

EtkfOc1XIAES1UB?format=png&name=900x900

He is the chief, he apologised on behalf of the force he leads.

I don't care who he is. If his actions warranted suspension and an apology from the force, so be it.

Francie try and rise above your sectarianism.

A catholic officer from Roi arrived by chance and found a crowd of 30-40 on orneau road when the regulations said no more than 6.
    He contacted his sergeant ent who said wait until the event is over and speak to the organiser.
    He waited until it was over and there equipment was put away. He then spoke to the organiser who physically assaulted him.
    He arrested the person who assaulted him.
    The chief con apologised and suspended him.
    Where is your compassion for the young officer at the bottom of the ladder who is hung out to dry?
    Here I am sticking up for the young nationalist Roi catholic officer and you want him roasted.
    Sad really

Fionn1952 wrote: »
    'Britain didn't apologise, it was only the Queen'

'Ireland didn't apologise, only the Taoiseach'.

Certain people in positions of authority speak on behalf of their organisation, Downcow. If one of your employees did something wrong and you apologised, most would read it as an apology on behalf of your company.....unless you're suggesting he was making a personal apology for something he did wrong?

Nice to see you, as a, 'moderate Unionist' taking the Jim Allister approach to this though....
    Ok point taken. I am probably wrong and if chief con apologised then that is an organisational apology. But let me assure you, you will struggle to find a single colleague of his who will agree with him on this crazy behaviour.
    But point taken. You are correct

Francie try and rise above your sectarianism.

A catholic officer from Roi arrived by chance and found a crowd of 30-40 on orneau road when the regulations said no more than 6.
    He contacted his sergeant ent who said wait until the event is over and speak to the organiser.
    He waited until it was over and there equipment was put away. He then spoke to the organiser who physically assaulted him.
    He arrested the person who assaulted him.
    The chief con apologised and suspended him.
    Where is your compassion for the young officer at the bottom of the ladder who is hung out to dry?
    Here I am sticking up for the young nationalist Roi catholic officer and you want him roasted.
    Sad really

I never said anything about roasting anyone. I said, if he did wrong and was suspended then so be it.
    If he didn't do any wrong and is vindicated, so be that too.

But the facts at the moment are the facts. The PSNI apologised and an officer has been suspended.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,426 ✭✭✭maestroamado

I'll try and simplify again

1) You stated that NI politics are factional
    we agree on this point

2) You stated that this is the reason they are unsuitable for Ministerial positions

3) I stated that the current UK Ministerial positions are filled with politicians from a highly factional party within a highly factional government system.

The question is if point 3 holds (the Tory government are from a highly factional party within a highly factional government system), that point 2 doesn't make logical sense, so why are parties from one location unsuitable due to their factional nature, yet parties from another location are perfectly suitable despite also having a factional nature. This implies to me that the factionalism isn't the problem.

How can the factional nature of NI politics be the reason they are not suitable for ministerial positions, when that government is made up of another highly factional party essentially.

Maybe someone else could step in and say if I'm being unclear here, because I genuinely can't make it any more easy to follow than this. It honestly feels like we're talking across a language barrier, hence my earlier question.

There is no language barrier here.
    Its pretty clear to me no-one seem to want Ireland United at the moment as seems the best possible solution long term.
    Why are people not looking for a poll, would it be the MONEY?

There is no language barrier here.
    Its pretty clear to me no-one seem to want Ireland United at the moment as seems the best possible solution long term.
    Why are people not looking for a poll, would it be the MONEY?

Some people want unification, other people don't. People on the side who want Unification have absolutely been calling for a poll....there have probably been more people calling for a border poll in the last six months than in the years beforehand. It has literally been a few days since I last saw a report on calls for a border poll.

There isn't any logical flow to your points, so if it isn't down to a language barrier, I see little point in proceeding further, you seem to be more interested in having a discussion based around imaginary points; you haven't given a direct reply to any of my posts that you've quoted at all.

Good luck, your vote will be worth just as much as mine after all.

I think alot of people here are more interested including yourself in blame than solution.
    The Republic simply cannot aford NI at the moment and SF know this so they not asking for it that i heard recently.
    You are talking about UK politicians and the solution on this Island.

I think alot of people here are more interested including yourself in blame than solution.
    The Republic simply cannot aford NI at the moment and SF know this so they not asking for it that i heard recently.
    You are talking about UK politicians and the solution on this Island.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/opinion/comment/clamour-for-border-poll-cant-be-ignored-38948986.html

Michelle O'Neill February 2020.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/choice-between-brexit-britain-and-new-ireland-never-starker-says-o-neill-1.4444939%3fmode=amp

Michelle O'Neill December 2020

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.irishcentral.com/news/taoiseach-sinn-fein-over-focused-border-poll.amp

Micheal Martin stating SF are TOO focused on a border poll July 2020.

Putting it crudely, you're talking nonsense.

Its the leader needs to be saying this and not the underdstudy one year ago.
    Breixt has changed everything, we are talking about what is happening now.
    So Michael is now SF spokesperson, get real....

Last month.
    https://www.irishtimes.com/opinion/mary-lou-mcdonald-government-must-be-active-in-conversation-on-a-united-ireland-1.4467494

You need to better inform yourself. I'd agree with Fionn here, it very difficult to understand what point you are making...and why.

The leader of SF in NI (the place that needs to be calling for a border poll, you know?) has been calling for a border poll regularly, despite your stating that SF are not asking for it.

It is not in the power of the Irish government to call a border poll, it is down to the Secretary of State for NI.

That said;

https://www.irishpost.com/news/a-united-ireland-will-happen-this-decade-sinn-fein-leader-mary-lou-mcdonald-says-199657

Mary Lou December 2020

https://www.irishcentral.com/news/politics/time-irish-unity-poll-mary-lou-mcdonald.amp

Mary Lou October 2020

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.independent.ie/irish-news/politics/were-heading-towards-a-unity-referendum-at-some-stage-mcdonald-rejects-governments-plan-not-to-pursue-a-border-poll-39659677.html

Mary Lou September 2020

So aye, the party leader is talking about it plenty too.

Seriously, suggesting that SF aren't calling for a border poll is one of the weirdest takes I've ever heard on here. Bizarre.

• Registered Users Posts: 622 ✭✭✭Natterjack from Kerry

The leader of SF in NI (the place that needs to be calling for a border poll, you know?) has been calling for a border poll regularly, despite your stating that SF are not asking for it.

It is not in the power of the Irish government to call a border poll, it is down to the Secretary of State for NI.

That said;

https://www.irishpost.com/news/a-united-ireland-will-happen-this-decade-sinn-fein-leader-mary-lou-mcdonald-says-199657

Mary Lou December 2020

https://www.irishcentral.com/news/politics/time-irish-unity-poll-mary-lou-mcdonald.amp

Mary Lou October 2020

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.independent.ie/irish-news/politics/were-heading-towards-a-unity-referendum-at-some-stage-mcdonald-rejects-governments-plan-not-to-pursue-a-border-poll-39659677.html

Mary Lou September 2020

Seriously, suggesting that SF aren't calling for a border poll is one of the weirdest takes I've ever heard on here. Bizarre.

Where would it leave them though if following a border poll in favour of leaving the Union, adoption of the northern six were rejected by Ireland ? Content to remain in the UK ? Or some sort of go it alone venture ? Maybe that really would be the best solution all round.

That said;

Mary Lou December 2020

Mary Lou October 2020

Mary Lou September 2020

For me saying we want a poll at some stage is rubbish as there will certainly be a poll at some stage.
    She is happy to wait until the end of the decade fine but not leadership talk.
    Its too being a responcibility for Irish politics at the moment.
    So if Irish politicians have no influence over decisions by NI secretary what are we all talking.
    round and round we go...

Where would it leave them though if following a border poll in favour of leaving the Union, adoption of the northern six were rejected by Ireland ? Content to remain in the UK ? Or some sort of go it alone venture ? Maybe that really would be the best solution all round.

They start building support for the next referendum, which can be called after 7 years.

• Advertisement

For me saying we want a poll at some stage is rubbish as there will certainly be a poll at some stage.
    She is happy to wait until the end of the decade fine but not leadership talk.
    Its too being a responcibility for Irish politics at the moment.
    So if Irish politicians have no influence over decisions by NI secretary what are we all talking.
    round and round we go...

Not for the first time...I give up. Makes no sense to me.

I believe as per the GFA, should unification be rejected by the other 26 counties, then the status quo would continue for at least 7 years until another border poll could be called (and so on and so forth should it be rejected again). The GFA allows for either unification or remaining part of the UK, there is no provision for an independent NI within it - for that to even be on the table, the UK/NI and Ireland would all have to agree to scrap the GFA and replace it with a new agreement that allowed for it.

your just in the tunnel... straight ahead...

Yeah, I tried as much as I could. Complete non-sequiturs that don't seem to follow any sort of consistent logical thread.

I'll discuss a point in good faith with anyone, but I genuinely don't have a notion what this one is on about.

I believe as per the GFA, should unification be rejected by the other 26 counties, then the status quo would continue for at least 7 years until another border poll could be called (and so on and so forth should it be rejected again). The GFA allows for either unification or remaining part of the UK, there is no provision for an independent NI within it - for that to even be on the table, the UK/NI and Ireland would all have to agree to scrap the GFA and replace it with a new agreement that allowed for it.

Or, another Ulster month, whereby the 6 join the 26, and then secede. Both the UK and Ireland would then be free of the problem. There is the germ of a brilliant idea here people. You can say that you were on boards.ie the night the future of Ireland began.

Or, another Ulster month, whereby the 6 join the 26, and then secede. Both the UK and Ireland would then be free of the problem. There is the germ of a brilliant idea here people. You can say that you were on boards.ie the night the future of Ireland began.

Despite your ridiculous trolling, at least your suggestion would be within the bounds of the GFA. Credit where it is due there! Beats 99% of the suggestions from those who support continued partition on this side of the border!

Honestly I got a good chuckle out of that one. Top class.

This seems to be the way ot political thinking in this Country at the moment.
    I personally expect something may happen because of complications with Brexit.
    It may simply die-down and the Customs in NI will work.

This seems to be the way ot political thinking in this Country at the moment.
    I personally expect something may happen because of complications with Brexit.
    It may simply die-down and the Customs in NI will work.

What are you even arguing with?! My post was literally a statement of fact. It is nothing to do with political thinking. Christ, this is tedious.

What are you even arguing with?! My post was literally a statement of fact. It is nothing to do with political thinking. Christ, this is tedious.

I am agreeing with you as what you posted was more or less what i see happeming at this moment in time...

• Advertisement

I am agreeing with you as what you posted was more or less what i see happeming at this moment in time...

Can you two please stop arguing with each other about how you agree with each other ?

Advertisement