Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How long before Irish reunification? (Part 2) Threadbans in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭gilly1910

Fionn1952 wrote: »
    Extensively hashed out and rehashed.....and ultimately those who came into the discussion favouring continued partition left doing so and those who came into it supporting Unification left doing so.....I'd be reluctant to recommend reading 300-odd pages given that!

Haven't the will to read back 300 odd pages, so what was the general consensus?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,085 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

All the talk of flags, languages and anthems, one thing that absolutely hasn't been resolved to my satisfaction, and I will be asking every person who comes to my door campaigning.....what about Tayto?

With Nordie Tayto being vastly superior to Free-Stayto, I'm not sure I could vote for the demise of a clearly superior snack. I'll concede on the Cadbury's chocolate down this way though.

I will have to disagree on the Tandragee mulch.

No comparison. There's been another improvement in Free Stayto over the years so much so, I have dabbled in the Northside* Crisp over its Southside** stalwart, King more often than not the last few years.

Cadbury's shouldn't differ anymore though given Mondelez's destruction of their brands.

Also for the uninitiated, Coolock used to smell amazing!

* Tayto crisps were made in Coolock on the Northside of Dublin

** King crisps were made, before purchase by Tayto (and Largo) in Inchicore on the Southside of Dublin.

All are made in Ashbourne in Mordor now.

I think we should concentrate on finding a sport for Fermanagh people to play that they might be good at. :)

Given half the county is Protestant and the other half is water, you'd think they'd have produced a fair few swimmers!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,623 ✭✭✭Fionn1952

No comparison. There's been another improvement in Free Stayto over the years so much so, I have dabbled in the Northside* Crisp over its Southside** stalwart, King more often than not the last few years.

Cadbury's shouldn't differ anymore though given Mondelez's destruction of their brands.

** King crisps were made, before purchase by Tayto (and Largo) in Inchicore on the Southside of Dublin.

I'd put King below even your Tayto, but Northern still reigns supreme. I have the wife converted and I'm aware of some shops selling them in Donegal too, the revolution has already started.

I have been known to enjoy a packet of Manhattan cheese and onion in a certain Blanchardstown pub, but I'd be accused of notions ordering that back in the old local, never mind your O'Donnell type crisps, which should only be eaten alone with your head under a blanket akin to the French Ortolan.

It's been a long time since I ate a Dairy Milk though, the last time they were still wrapped in foil and were noticeably better than in the North.
    Given half the county is Protestant and the other half is water, you'd think they'd have produced a fair few swimmers!

I'll have you know there's nothing at all wrong with my swimmers!

• Registered Users Posts: 69,243 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Hard to bate Donegal in the sun when the Sam Spudz factory is frying the Cheese and Onion batches.

• Advertisement

Hard to bate Donegal in the sun when the Sam Spudz factory is frying the Cheese and Onion batches.

Washing it all down with Football Special or some illicit Cavan Cola.

Washing it all down with Football Special or some illicit Cavan Cola.

Never passed these lips...Erne Mineral Water's Cola, from the home of the Ulster Final, was yer only man.

I'd put King below even your Tayto, but Northern still reigns supreme. I have the wife converted and I'm aware of some shops selling them in Donegal too, the revolution has already started.

I have been known to enjoy a packet of Manhattan cheese and onion in a certain Blanchardstown pub, but I'd be accused of notions ordering that back in the old local, never mind your O'Donnell type crisps, which should only be eaten alone with your head under a blanket akin to the French Ortolan.

It's been a long time since I ate a Dairy Milk though, the last time they were still wrapped in foil and were noticeably better than in the North.

I'll have you know there's nothing at all wrong with my swimmers!

The Manhattan pub crisp is a thing of beauty.
    King used to be as named, but have wallowed in recent times.

Though, unsure if you've been but if you go to Australia, you can buy these:

[Image to follow]

All to do with the Tandragee outfit and their ownership of the name outwith the Free State!

---

EDIT: Unfortunately I can't find a picture anywhere. In Australia they sell Free Stayto under the moniker "Kings Crisps". It's jarring to say the least.

Never passed these lips...Erne Mineral Water's Cola, from the home of the Ulster Final, was yer only man.

I think I'm gonna have to go on the hunt for some Cadet now and have a crisp sandwich after all of this.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,626 ✭✭✭✭downcow

While I have to say that I appreciate the fact that posters' possessing more patience than I have attempted to discuss some pretty salient points overnight, I must also state though, the disgusting comments that the GAA is comparable to the B Specials deserved more opprobrium than they received.

It's not the first time however that such a comparison had been made, and I doubt it will be the last.

You are at it again on Bonnie. I was using the GAA as an example with regard to an almost exclusively catholic membership. I don't know why that touches such a raw nerve there you.
    Maybe you would help us, and give us your best guess as to the percentage of Protestants who are current members?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,623 ✭✭✭Fionn1952

downcow wrote: »
    You are at it again on Bonnie. I was using the GAA as an example with regard to an almost exclusively catholic membership. I don't know why that touches such a raw nerve there you.
    Maybe you would help us, and give us your best guess as to the percentage of Protestants who are current members?

I can name one particularly important one....Sam Maguire.

The GAA does not have an almost exclusively Catholic membership.

Though I do believe it could do more to attract members of the Protestant community in NI, I don't believe Protestants are underrepresented significantly on this side of the border as compared to their percentage of the population. I can't find specific figures on it, so that is just guesswork really.

Trump methods will never be gone while Sinn Fein are around.
    This is a disgraceful official sf video
    I am curious the reaction if they tried a stunt like this south of the border
    https://mobile.twitter.com/sinnfeinireland/status/1361694230830317568?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw%7Ctwcamp%5Etweetembed%7Ctwterm%5E1361712441969811457%7Ctwgr%5E%7Ctwcon%5Es3_&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Fd-36165477201166501917.ampproject.net%2F2101300534005%2Fframe.html

I can name one particularly important one....Sam Maguire.

The GAA does not have an almost exclusively Catholic membership.

Though I do believe it could do more to attract members of the Protestant community in NI, I don't believe Protestants are underrepresented significantly on this side of the border as compared to their percentage of the population. I can't find specific figures on it, so that is just guesswork really.

I wasn't even responding to that poster. I was making out that comparing a sporting and cultural organisation to a blatantly bigoted and sectarian force is abhorrent.

Not as abhorrent as the deaths of people at the hands of the state apparatus mind you, but then again, the various unionists on the thread here have rationalised that Bloody Sunday parts 1 and 2 were somewhat justifiable, so I guess comparing the GAA to murderous gangs makes sense to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭lurleen lumpkin

Trump methods will never be gone while Sinn Fein are around.
    TUFZMTI1Mzc4MjM1.jpg?width=2048&enable=upscale

• Registered Users Posts: 6,728 ✭✭✭eire4

How is Irish a "foreign" language? And who are you to know who speaks it or not?

It is certainly very much alive in my household!

The GAA isn't almost exclusively Catholic! Again, people in the North have a habit of applying the sectarian lens to things in the south, not realising that religion just isn't a factor in most aspects of life down here. Sure, Catholics are overrepresented in the GAA in the north, but not in the south. There are heaps of players and administrators from various ethnic and religious backgrounds, but quite genuinely, no one cares. The secretary of the underage section of my club is originally from Afghanistan, have no idea what religion he is, suppose he's unlikely to be Catholic, but why would anyone involved in the club care?

and I would add in those of no religion as well.

jm08 wrote: »
    Nice yes, but that isn't how democracy works. Would you think the same if the vote was 52/48 to remain part of the UK?

Thought not!

The divorce referendum passed in Ireland in 1995 by only a tiny margin,
    50.28% to 49.72%.

eire4 wrote: »
    The divorce referendum passed in Ireland in 1995 by only a tiny margin,
    50.28% to 49.72%.

00000286_286-752x501.jpg

Hello Ulster, bye bye border!

Hello Ulster, bye bye border!

Brexit as it seemed it would has certainly accelerated that.

Funny that exact picture was my first thought when I read that post. As the cliché goes a pictures is worth a thousand words.

• Advertisement

You are right. I should have added the old brigade of the dup Mind you while they are supporting trumps disgusting behaviour, the shinners are doing videos that would even make trump blush

Funny that exact picture was my first thought when I read that post. As the cliché goes a pictures is worth a thousand words.

Absolutely agree. Not much difference in the duppers and the shinners.

Absolutely agree. Not much difference in the duppers and the shinners.

Haha good for you still outstanding at trolling . Never said that of course.

Haha good for you still outstanding at trolling . Never said that of course.

So how did the video remind you of that picture?
    And what did you think of the video?

• Registered Users Posts: 298 ✭✭Five Eighth

Just accept the piece was factually incorrect or provide evidence otherwise. Simple
    Provide evidence?

I’ve quoted extracts from books written by Robert Kee (eminent British historian), Chris Ryder (eminent Northern Irish/British journalist) and just plain old Irishman Tim Pat Coogan.

Here’s more:
    Sir James Craig, the future Northern Ireland prime minister, was able to use the Belfast disturbances to persuade Lloyd George to establish the sectarian Ulster Special Constabulary (USC) as an auxiliary police force based on the pre-war UVF.”

Parkinson, a British lecturer and author has just had a new book published A Difficult Birth: The Early Years of Northern Ireland 1920-1925. Should make for some interesting reading.

Just came across this piece on Wikipedia:

“The force (B Specials) was almost exclusively Ulster Protestant and as a result was viewed with great mistrust by Catholics. It carried out several revenge killings and reprisals against Catholic civilians in the 1920–22 conflict.”

There you go – only 'almost exclusively Protestant'.

Provide evidence?

I’ve quoted extracts from books written by Robert Kee (eminent British historian), Chris Ryder (eminent Northern Irish/British journalist) and just plain old Irishman Tim Pat Coogan.

Here’s more:
    Sir James Craig, the future Northern Ireland prime minister, was able to use the Belfast disturbances to persuade Lloyd George to establish the sectarian Ulster Special Constabulary (USC) as an auxiliary police force based on the pre-war UVF.”

Parkinson, a British lecturer and author has just had a new book published A Difficult Birth: The Early Years of Northern Ireland 1920-1925. Should make for some interesting reading.

“The force (B Specials) was almost exclusively Ulster Protestant and as a result was viewed with great mistrust by Catholics. It carried out several revenge killings and reprisals against Catholic civilians in the 1920–22 conflict.”

Extraordinary that they stood down this force in ignominy and replaced it with one that was as bad which was also stood down and comparisons are being made with the GAA by way of defence and deflection.

Provide evidence?

Finally we agree. That was exactly the point I was making, evidenced for all

Thanks

• Advertisement

Extraordinary that they stood down this force in ignominy and replaced it with one that was as bad which was also stood down and comparisons are being made with the GAA by way of defence and deflection.

The only comparison was to help us understand what almost exclusively.
    I could just as easily have said that sf are almost exclusively from a catholic background or dup are almost exclusively from a Protestant background or sheep are almost exclusively white etc. I chose the gaa example.

Advertisement