Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How long before Irish reunification? (Part 2) Threadbans in OP

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,254 ✭✭✭Nqp15hhu

Its not a country :pac:

Aye it is. :pac: :pac:

Fionn1952 wrote: »
    That's unfortunate, but many people live in a country they feel no affinity to. Perhaps it gives you an indication on how my community have felt for generations. Beyond commiserations, and attempts to make you feel welcome, there's not a huge pile else I can do. Should Unification happen, it will be because a majority voted for it, so in that case you'd have to make do with your hurt feelings.

Except nationalists were born under this system. I was not born in ROI.

It is not a battle of wanting to punish unionists so drop the bitterness.

• Registered Users Posts: 69,254 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Nqp15hhu wrote: »
    It’s not about differences. It’s about being raised in NI and having affinity to this country.

I’m not going to bother talking about the identity as I will get the usual nonsense about regional roi identities.

While you were being raised in NI did you notice the passing of the GFA? And what that says about the wishes of a majority? It will be either you or those with no affinity to the UK who will have to accept what happens.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,085 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

Except nationalists were born under this system. I was not born in ROI.

It is not a battle of wanting to punish unionists so drop the bitterness.

What?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,626 ✭✭✭✭downcow

jm08 wrote: »
    Geography helps greatly. The river Tweed (and others), two national parks, mountains form natural boundaries. There are only a couple of roads between the two jurisdictions. It has a natural boundary unlike that of the British border in Ireland.

Last time I looked there were a darn site more than a couple of roads. I am sure I have used many. You live on another planet

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,694 ✭✭✭✭maccored

I don’t care what you call it. It’s my country and my home, not Ireland.

i was born there and was treated like a second class citizen because of that kind of assertion. i see unionists haven't changed.

maccored wrote: »
    its a tiny statelet designed to always require someone to look after it. not a country by any stretch of the imagination.

Why though is your desire any less valid that the nationalists desire to get rid of the artificial statelet that the 6 counties are?

Also, why do unionists always blather on about Ulster - dont you know your geography?

Ireland is a tiny insignificant backwater in world terms. Why would anyone want to belong to it when they can belong to one of the biggest economies in the world

Its not a country :pac:

Please don’t go there again. Unless you are prepared to set the criteria that makes a place a country? Otherwise it is a pointless game of tennis

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Fenzi

downcow wrote: »
    Ireland is a tiny insignificant backwater in world terms. Why would anyone want to belong to it when they can belong to one of the biggest economies in the world
    We'll definitely see the benefits of that membership any day now, I mean it's been only been 100 years.

...and get shafted and shafted again and again and again? No thanks, happy where I am.

• Advertisement

Northern ireland is deffo not a country kid
    it

So have the balls to nail your colours to the mast. No point in just rambling
    What exactly makes a place a country in your world?

...and get shafted and shafted again and again and again? No thanks, happy where I am.

.....but your life seems so incomplete, without the country you clearly love, even more than your own, not joining with you in your little ‘two countries into one’ united ireland.
    I am sorry for your sadness but I won’t be helping you

• Registered Users Posts: 3,623 ✭✭✭Fionn1952

A sovereign state represented in International bodies such as the UN?

.....but your life seems so incomplete, without the country you clearly love, even more than your own, not joining with you in your little ‘two countries into one’ united ireland.
    I am sorry for your sadness but I won’t be helping you

No borders in my mind or in my country downcow...that border is where it should be, in the sea.

You have helped - Unionism has helped, to make this island complete again.

? ye's voted to leave europe and now yous are complaining about the consequences. oh sorry! - are you talking of britain's fast failing economy? I hear the dutch are cashing in on the companies vacating britain

not having to rely on an outside government for finance would be a basic requirement.

not having to rely on an outside government for finance would be a basic requirement.

I wasn’t asking about basic requirements. I was asking what makes a place a country? Simple question

A sovereign state represented in International bodies such as the UN?

You might want to rethink that! Lol
    That makes the UK a country (of which I am glad the UN says I belong). It means Scotland is not a country and it means the country of Ireland has 26 counties

If carlsberg done countries......
    I love your definition

Would you tell Nicola sturgeon that Scotland is not a country due to the Barnet formula

Facts are a pain in the ass!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,728 ✭✭✭eire4

Fenzi wrote: »
    We'll definitely see the benefits of that membership any day now, I mean it's been only been 100 years.

Last time I checked Ireland was very much part of the EU who's economy is the second biggest in the world so I think we are ok there.

• Advertisement

While you were being raised in NI did you notice the passing of the GFA? And what that says about the wishes of a majority? It will be either you or those with no affinity to the UK who will have to accept what happens.

No. I was a baby.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,728 ✭✭✭eire4

Yes being a valued member of the EU economy has definitely proved to be good for Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,623 ✭✭✭Fionn1952

You might want to rethink that! Lol
    That makes the UK a country (of which I am glad the UN says I belong). It means Scotland is not a country and it means the country of Ireland has 26 counties

If carlsberg done countries......
    I love your definition

.....what's your point? Ireland is a country with 26 counties until the point of Unification. Ireland is also an island made up of the country Ireland and the constituent state of the United Kingdom called Northern Ireland.

Why would I want to rethink that?

.....what's your point? Ireland is a country with 26 counties until the point of Unification. Ireland is also an island made up of the country Ireland and the constituent state of the United Kingdom called Northern Ireland.

Why would I want to rethink that?

That’s all good with me. I am surprised but also pleased that we agree on this.

Some people try to blur the clear difference in the island of Ireland and the country that calls itself Ireland, but I am 100% with your clear definitions

No. I was a baby.

Well have a chat with your parents if still alive. The majority in both jurisdictions voted for it. Not even May or Boris dared break it, so it will be followed. In that agreement those who voted for it agreed to accept the will of the majority - i.e. what nationalists are doing now.

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭ulster

There is a sizeable percentage of people in NI who want to belong to Ireland. It's growing all the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,831 ✭✭✭RobMc59

Well have a chat with your parents if still alive. The majority in both jurisdictions voted for it. Not even May or Boris dared break it, so it will be followed. In that agreement those who voted for it agreed to accept the will of the majority - i.e. what nationalists are doing now.

Thats strange..I could have sworn it was von der leyen who was willing to endanger it until put firmly back in her box.

Boris did break it. It’s clearly broken by the Irish Sea border.

RobMc59 wrote: »
    Thats strange..I could have sworn it was von der leyen who was willing to endanger it until put firmly back in her box.

Did it happen Rob? No it didn't. Get the point now?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 622 ✭✭✭Natterjack from Kerry

I don’t care what you call it. It’s my country and my home, not Ireland.

And be assured that there are many here in the 26 that agree with you. Discussion on the topic probably gives the impression to those north of the border that the south is full of people obsessed with a UI. But there are many many of us more enlightened than that who fully recognise that you are in the UK, and not Ireland. Yet are still our closest relations. We share an island, are completely entwined culturally and historically, and there need be no more about it. We form different flavours of the British isles, and all regions in it are really the closest of siblings - the squabble by northern Ireland nationalists about being Irish or British really is getting upset about six of one or half dozen of the other. I am proud to call you our UK brothers in the north on our common island of Ireland.

Advertisement