Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How long before Irish reunification? (Part 2) Threadbans in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,626 ✭✭✭✭downcow

Id say having a functioning parliment for omw....stormont geos years without sitting

Having a functioning society.....northern ireland has given half its existance in near civil war

Having majority of population living there recognise it as a country.....what is % claiming NI identity

Not a country,a jokeshop

That just about sums up how you operate. A load of subjective nonsense that means nothing. I guess your politics wouldn’t work if you didn’t employ those tactics.

Pathetic really!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,872 ✭✭✭View

ulster wrote: »
    There is a sizeable percentage of people in NI who want to belong to Ireland. It's growing all the time.

Growing? That isn’t what the results in NI of the last U.K. GE showed.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,831 ✭✭✭RobMc59

And be assured that there are many of here in the 26 that agree with you. Discussion on the topics probably give the impression to those north of the border that the south is full of people obsessed with a UI. But there are many many of us more enlightened than that who fully recognise that you are in the UK, and not Ireland. Yet are still our closest relations. We share an island, are completely entwined culturally and historically, and there need be no more about it. We form different flavours of the British isles, and all regions in it are really the closest of siblings - the squabble by northern Ireland nationalists about being Irish or British really is getting upset about six of one or half dozen of the other. I am proud to call you your our UK brothers in the north on our common island of Ireland.

I agree.As an English person I don`t see Scottish,Northern Irish or Welsh people as any different from me-British.I also agree that boards can be a shock to the system and can give the impression that the Republic is inhabited exclusively by UK hating disgruntled republicans,which is`nt the case.The UK and Ireland are so alike it`s uncanny.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,872 ✭✭✭View

downcow wrote: »
    Ireland is a tiny insignificant backwater in world terms. Why would anyone want to belong to it when they can belong to one of the biggest economies in the world

Ireland is an integral part of the EU, the world’s second largest economy. By your own logic (of favouring bigger economies), you should be delighted at the prospect of belonging to Ireland. :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 69,257 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

RobMc59 wrote: »
    I agree.As an English person I don`t see Scottish,Northern Irish or Welsh people as any different from me-British.I also agree that boards can be a shock to the system and can give the impression that the Republic is inhabited exclusively by UK hating disgruntled republicans,which is`nt the case.The UK and Ireland are so alike it`s uncanny.

I'd agree, a lot don't wear it on their sleeve. But make no mistake, come a border poll what the outcome on this side will be. I know lots of people who utterly detest SF who will never pass an opportunity to vote for a UI.

• Advertisement

You asked (twice),what was necessary to make a country,i outlined some criteria,i felt was reasonable

Unable to counter,yous choose to label it as subjective nonsemse to shut down debate,on a subject,yous.brought in

Sometime you just have to call a spade a spade.

But let’s check out your nonsense criteria. tell me, would you say that a majority of people in Roi see the 26 counties as an independent country?

Sometime you just have to call a spade a spade.

But let’s check out your nonsense criteria. tell me, would you say that a majority of people in Roi see the 26 counties as an independent country?

:D:D are you gonna try claim now that a state administered via an International Agreement between two sovereign countries is 'independent' now as well as a country? :):D

By the way, I couldn't care less what you call it.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,694 ✭✭✭✭maccored

I wasn’t asking about basic requirements. I was asking what makes a place a country? Simple question

not having to rely on another country's government

• Registered Users Posts: 10,694 ✭✭✭✭maccored

Would you tell Nicola sturgeon that Scotland is not a country due to the Barnet formula

Facts are a pain in the ass!

scotland should indeed be freed of britain - you are quite correct there.

• Registered Users Posts: 622 ✭✭✭Natterjack from Kerry

maccored wrote: »
    not having to rely on another country's government

The UK does not rely on another country's government. It functions perfectly well and independently.

• Advertisement

:D:D are you gonna try claim now that a state administered via an International Agreement between two sovereign countries is 'independent' now as well as a country? :):D

By the way, I couldn't care less what you call it.

This was the question Francie
    “ would you say that a majority of people in Roi see the 26 counties as an independent country?”
    I know you don’t like where it is going and you want to rescue the other poster, but why don’t you help him by answering it

maccored wrote: »
    scotland should indeed be freed of britain - you are quite correct there.

Do you not think that should be a decision for the Scottish people rather than applying your Irish arrogance to it

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,254 ✭✭✭Nqp15hhu

Well have a chat with your parents if still alive. The majority in both jurisdictions voted for it. Not even May or Boris dared break it, so it will be followed. In that agreement those who voted for it agreed to accept the will of the majority - i.e. what nationalists are doing now.

What is your point? This has no relevance to my nationality and identity.

This was the question Francie
    “ would you say that a majority of people in Roi see the 26 counties as an independent country?”
    I know you don’t like where it is going and you want to rescue the other poster, but why don’t you help him by answering it

My opinion has always been that the majority here see us as an independent sovereign state in a partitioned country. That is why they will vote to unite it again.

Again, I could care less what somebody who supports partition calls the partitioned bit.

And be assured that there are many here in the 26 that agree with you. Discussion on the topic probably gives the impression to those north of the border that the south is full of people obsessed with a UI. But there are many many of us more enlightened than that who fully recognise that you are in the UK, and not Ireland. Yet are still our closest relations. We share an island, are completely entwined culturally and historically, and there need be no more about it. We form different flavours of the British isles, and all regions in it are really the closest of siblings - the squabble by northern Ireland nationalists about being Irish or British really is getting upset about six of one or half dozen of the other. I am proud to call you our UK brothers in the north on our common island of Ireland.

Thank you. I appreciate it when people from ROI are willing to listen to and embrace the opinions of Northern Irish people.

I have witnessed a lot of arrogance from ROI politicians (particularly neale Richmond - so snarky.) They are seen as interfering and making things worse.

Nqp15hhu wrote: »
    What is your point? This has no relevance to my nationality and identity.

The point is, either you have to get rid of the GFA or accept it. The two sovereign states will unite Ireland if a majority want it.

• Registered Users Posts: 622 ✭✭✭Natterjack from Kerry

The point is, either you have to get rid of the GFA or accept it. The two sovereign states will unite Ireland if a majority want it.

You already have a united Ireland ffs. All 26 counties of it. Would you ever give up on trying to mooch a part of the UK. It really is no help to anyone at all.

You already have a united Ireland ffs. All 26 counties of it. Would you ever give up on trying to mooch a part of the UK. It really is no help to anyone at all.

1/10

Poor effort

RobMc59 wrote: »

There is a spectrum of similarity, depending on the region. As a Unionist who has lived in Southern England I admit to finding the culture very foreign and not similar to here.

Scotland is very similar, more so than the southern half of this island.

My opinion has always been that the majority here see us as an independent sovereign state in a partitioned country. That is why they will vote to unite it again.

Again, I could care less what somebody who supports partition calls the partitioned bit.

Well Northern Ireland is not your country. You are an outsider and most would see you as so.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭lurleen lumpkin

Well Northern Ireland is not your country. You are an outsider and most would see you as so.

Haha. C'mon now.

The GFA gives the people of this island the right to decide our future.
    Come a border poll I will have as much of a say as you will. It's one person one vote now. Hard for you guys to accept but that's progress and modernity for you.

Will you accept the outcome of a border poll by the way?

The GFA gives the people of this island the right to decide our future.
    Come a border poll I will have as much of a say as you will. It's one person one vote now. Hard for you guys to accept but that's progress and modernity for you.

Will you accept the outcome of a border poll by the way?

After we (unlikely) voted yes, you would get your vote. You don’t have a say in the running of my country.

So as the Kerry person did, listen and respect our opinions rather than telling us what to do and patronising us from your house in ROI.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Fenzi

respect our opinions

Why should they when you refuse to respect theirs?

After we (unlikely) voted yes, you would get your vote. You don’t have a say in the running of my country.

So as the Kerry person did, listen and respect our opinions rather than telling us what to do and patronising us from your house in ROI.

I am not telling you what to do. I am telling you what will happen unless the GFA gets rescinded.

I get your opinion, I've 'listened' to it for decades.

You didn't answer the question, will you accept the outcome of a border poll as per the GFA?

*And maybe talk to your Unionists leaders about our say in what happens in NI. Boris too. We had our say and Boris had to comply.

Fenzi wrote: »
    Why should they when you refuse to respect theirs?

Because they are proposing to get rid of my country from another country.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,085 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

Because they are proposing to get rid of my country from another country.

Have you anything positive to add?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,300 ✭✭✭✭jm08

Last time I looked there were a darn site more than a couple of roads. I am sure I have used many. You live on another planet

Take a look at google maps. Max about 10 roads with about 3 or 4 major ones. As well as that, there are not any dwelling with their sitting room in Scotland and their kitchen in England!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,046 ✭✭✭Sheep breeder

Being a while since looked in here and still arguing one side against the other, this is the reason why there will be no united Ireland for a very long time, because you can’t agree and the ordinary joe soap doesn’t want the hassle of this argument.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,300 ✭✭✭✭jm08

Being a while since looked in here and still arguing one side against the other, this is the reason why there will be no united Ireland for a very long time, because you can’t agree and the ordinary joe soap doesn’t want the hassle of this argument.

Not an unusual attitude from some people in the ROI. Nationalists in NI have been dealing with
    intransigent unionists whose Mission Statement is just ''No'' for a century now. Time to do the right thing now.

Advertisement