Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How long before Irish reunification? (Part 2) Threadbans in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,694 ✭✭✭✭maccored

Possibly a technically true statement. But firstly, you dont know everyone in SF. And secondly, would you also say that of those you do know is SF, while not involved in criminality, they have also not been involved in criminality in the past ? Or have they ?

You dont know everyone in SF either so how can you say they are?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,626 ✭✭✭✭downcow

You can't have it both ways.

In my view the cold hard truth is you accept the possibility of some thuggery with an Irish sea border.

Or you accept a greater magnitude of trouble with a land border.

Britain chose the former.

Both are repulsive - but one is less than the other.

That is called 'the greater threat'. Very bad training for loyalists paramilitaries looking on

Fionn1952 wrote: »
    Putting the logistics aside, putting the silly Goodies and Baddies approach aside....even if we accept that the threat of violence is the primary reason the sea border makes sense (it isn't, basical logistics is, but let's go along with the silly premise), which border infrastructure would be easier for a terrorist to interfere with?

That's ignoring the fact that the existence of a sea border is more democratic than the proposed land border, the fact that it would be infinitely more complex and expensive to control.....and that it is essentially logistically unmanageable to have several hundred crossing points versus a handful.

Regardless of one's politics, one of those borders is a lot more natural and inherently easier to enfore for managing Britain's choice to leave the EU.....but aye, let's blame that on the RA and all.....sure everyone knows Brexit was a Republican plot...
    you can't have it both ways - if what you say that it is a logistical problem, then there is no way Scotland can leave the UK and join the EU

It is democratic it was voted for in the House of Commons and passed.

The reason this is an issue at all is because the north is not Britain and is not on the same footing as GB. The British government must consider both traditions in the north and that is precisely what has, albiet with encouragement, happened.

Unionists have always had an à la carte relationship with democracy in their little ethno-statelet (its creation against the will of the Irish people, gerrymandering, one-man-one vote, sinking the Sunningdale Agreement, opposition to the GFA, opposing Language rights, marriage equality, abortion, Brexit and so on).

Time for big boy trousers.

I am quite prepared to accept that it is democratic, if you apply your measure to Ireland leaving the UK and the subsequent partition of Ireland. These were all voted for in your Parliament, and therefore democratic by your measure

• Registered Users Posts: 8,273 ✭✭✭jh79

maccored wrote: »
    You dont know everyone in SF either so how can you say they are?

From memory, O'Dowall was involved in criminality. Driver for Gerry Hutch too so was operating at a very high level within that drugs gang.

Aengus O Snodaigh and the spy ring would be another example.

Then you have their links to criminals such as "Slab" and "Goldfinger" (still welcome at SF xmas parties as a plus one for Conor Murphy).

Not saying it is related....

But here it won’t be forgotten that, in 1999, months after Murphy lost the case, one of the men who gave evidence against him, Eamon Collins, himself a former IRA man, was bludgeoned to death.

I believe Collins had a metal spike hammered into his face!

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/gerry-adams-had-little-choice-but-to-stand-by-slab-murphy-1.2473143

Derry SF pretending to all be in the jacks when Jock and his gang disemboweled McCartney

Donaldson spy ring

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 69,257 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

downcow wrote: »

Well known Brexiteer, former advisor to David Trimble, anti Scottish Independence, member of The Policy Exchange, the Tory Think Tank writes an article dissing the Irish economy....yawn.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Junkyard Tom

These were all voted for in your Parliament, and therefore democratic by your measure

The choice was 'immediate and terrible war' or partition and it literally caused a civil war in Ireland.

It doesn't surprise me that you consider that 'democracy'.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,779 ✭✭✭Sunny Disposition

The unionists are very disillusioned about the sea border, even though it definitely won't end partition. They seem to be constantly upset these days, I suspect leadership hasn't been there to tell them that things have changed since the Good Friday Agreement, and the likes of the TUV keep making it difficult to engage with Catholics. If they don't start soon they're definitely going to lose a border poll. The Brexit referendum was a good chance for them, they could have campaigned for remain and built some common cause. With no chance of becoming a huge majority again in the North, surely they'd be better to agree a united Ireland, which could fairly quickly become a less tense and divided society. Keep going with the marches and bands and stuff, but give up the constitutional quest, which is doomed anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,085 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

jh79 wrote: »
    From memory, O'Dowall was involved in criminality. Driver for Gerry Hutch too so was operating at a very high level within that drugs gang.

Then you have their links to criminals such as "Slab" and "Goldfinger" (still welcome at SF xmas parties as a plus one for Conor Murphy).

But here it won’t be forgotten that, in 1999, months after Murphy lost the case, one of the men who gave evidence against him, Eamon Collins, himself a former IRA man, was bludgeoned to death.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/gerry-adams-had-little-choice-but-to-stand-by-slab-murphy-1.2473143

Derry SF pretending to all be in the jacks when Jock and his gang disemboweled McCartney

Donaldson spy ring

Show us your DUP list when you get a chance.

Surprised you didn't try some balance in that post as you're always so insistent on it when Unionism is criticised.

• Advertisement

Surprised you didn't try some balance in that post as you're always so insistent on it when Unionism is criticised.

You could link quite a few parties to criminality in the same way.

The unionists are very disillusioned about the sea border, even though it definitely won't end partition. They seem to be constantly upset these days, I suspect leadership hasn't been there to tell them that things have changed since the Good Friday Agreement, and the likes of the TUV keep making it difficult to engage with Catholics. If they don't start soon they're definitely going to lose a border poll. The Brexit referendum was a good chance for them, they could have campaigned for remain and built some common cause. With no chance of becoming a huge majority again in the North, surely they'd be better to agree a united Ireland, which could fairly quickly become a less tense and divided society. Keep going with the marches and bands and stuff, but give up the constitutional quest, which is doomed anyway.

You haven't been paying attention for the last century!

Unionism is never happy. It must be exhausting.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,779 ✭✭✭Sunny Disposition

That's a very defensive article, in all fairness anyone who spends a bit of time north and south knows the south is more prosperous. That's not getting at the north, there are other countries more prosperous than Ireland too. But why do unionists care enough to argue silly points that even if they were true, are only relevant to an area they say they don't care about?
    There are legitimate criticisms you could make about the southern economy, it's prone to boom/bust for example, but trying to compare it negatively with the north isn't sensible.

As a voter in the Republic the DUP are of no concern to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Junkyard Tom

It'll be good when the other parties have to properly compete with SF for ownership of the United Ireland cause, which they will eventually. Then the paritionists/crypto-unionists in the south will have to properly align with the DUP/UUP/UVF - it will be hilarious.

As a voter in the Republic the DUP are of no concern to me.

But "British" SF were of concern to you yesterday?

Pick a lane son.

Pick a lane son.

:D:D True.

It'll be good when the other parties have to properly compete with SF for ownership of the United Ireland cause, which they will eventually. Then the paritionists/crypto-unionists in the south will have to properly align with the DUP/UPP/UVF - it will be hilarious.

The pin-dancing and flip-flopping must be causing them some serious physiological discomfort at this point.

It'll be good when the other parties have to properly compete with SF for ownership of the United Ireland cause, which they will eventually. Then the paritionists/crypto-unionists in the south will have to properly align with the DUP/UUP/UVF - it will be hilarious.

It will be epic, no doubting that.

Donaldson spy ring

If you have proof anyone in SF is involved in criminality, off you toddle to the appropriate authorities. In fact, feel free to post the info here as well - otherwise what is the point of your last post? Besides past tense info and dubious claims that is.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,623 ✭✭✭Fionn1952

you can't have it both ways - if what you say that it is a logistical problem, then there is no way Scotland can leave the UK and join the EU

That is just plain idiotic Downcow, as you well know.

Exhibit A) The island of Ireland, with a history of issues regarding a land border and a huge number of crossings due to the historic non-existence of that border, has two options with regards to this. Option 1 is a land border, option 2 is a sea border. Both are possible, but the land border would be more difficult to enforce and logistically more challenging (note it says more difficult, not impossible).

Exhibit B) Scotland also has a history of issues along it's land border, but fortunately they are not in living memory, and so it isn't particularly politically charged. It also has far fewer crossings and a great deal of natural features making this border easier to manage from an infrastructure perspective. While challenging, as any land border is, there is no alternative sea border option available to Scotland, and as such should Scotland seek independence and membership of the EU, a land border would be the only option.

Quite how you've managed to go from your government coming to an agreement with the EU, and choosing the option they felt would be best (the sea border), and an acknowledgement that a sea border offers less logistic issues than a land border.... to we should deny Scotland's right to self determination is puzzling to say the least. The threads holding your bizarre logic together are frayed to snapping point, Downcow. It is verging on a complete non-sequitur.

Unionism right at this present time, is helping a UI immensely by showing the world how silly, stupid and childish their main leaders are. Keep it up I say.

Pick a lane son.

Dowall, O Snod mates and Slab were convicted in the Republic.

maccored wrote: »
    Unionism right at this present time, is helping a UI immensely by showing the world how silly, stupid and childish their main leaders are. Keep it up I say.

For a change, I agree with you. If they would just keep their mouths shut they would have nothing to worry about re unification.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,831 ✭✭✭RobMc59

The choice was 'immediate and terrible war' or partition and it literally caused a civil war in Ireland.

It doesn't surprise me that you consider that 'democracy'.

Tom,you should live for now not harping on about things that happened hundreds of years ago.The world was a very different place then,get over it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,537 ✭✭✭droidman123

I honestly cannot figure out Rob on this one. And he is being less than forthcoming on what he means. He is trying to paint this as a victory when it is yet another example of the British folding a tent and going home.

Rob cant be taken seriously about anything,he hates the eu yet he claims to be a remainer,he makes no sense

Dowall, O Snod mates and Slab were convicted in the Republic.

And what has that got to do with my post?

Is this gonna be a day where you argue about the saturation properties of oxidane?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,831 ✭✭✭RobMc59

Rob cant be taken seriously about anything,he hates the eu yet he claims to be a remainer,he makes no sense
    I don't hate the EU, I believe brussels wants too much influence on the nations within the EU

RobMc59 wrote: »
    I don't hate the EU, I believe brussels wants too much influence on the nations within the EU

That would be the EU wanting influence on the EU.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,537 ✭✭✭droidman123

RobMc59 wrote: »

You called them a nest of vipers,yet you voted to remain.why would you want to remain with a nest of vipers running the show?

Advertisement