Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How long before Irish reunification? (Part 2) Threadbans in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 973 ✭✭✭grayzer75

RobMc59 wrote: »
    I don't hate the EU, I believe brussels wants too much influence on the nations within the EU

Brussels will only have the amount of influence each member nation allows e.g. Schengen travel area - we opted out but have common travel area with UK.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,300 ✭✭✭✭jm08

Interesting post amongst the multitude of UK bad Ireland good usual stuff.
    Constantly playing the victim will work to a point.The ira learned this when they had to disband and decommission when ordered to by the US.
    Affection for one's ancestral origins do go a long way although generally,imo Ireland's and the UK's interests don't clash so the US doesn't have to make any major choices between the two.
    This is probably the first time I've seen anyone of a republican disposition acknowledge the atrocities committed by the ira which resulted in the original bloody sunday.

With the advent of better communications (radio, etc), Britain couldn't control the narrative any more. We were not playing the victim, the world was seeing what was really happening and the rest of the US didn't particularly like what they were seeing.

You misunderstand the US-Irish relationship which can be summed up by a remark made by one of the Tory Ministers when talking about Joe Biden's election as president. He commented that he thought that Joe would be very positive towards the UK because his family had left Ireland during the famine!

What English people don't know as well is that US Irish identify with Northern Ireland nationalists because they were treated in a similar way by the decendents of the Mayflower (WASPs) as Northern Ireland nationalists were treated by unionists. In a documentary on John Hume in America, one Boston congressman explained this quite well that up to when JFK became President (1960s), a catholic of Irish decent couldn't get a loan in a bank in Boston although they put their life savings in it.

Recommended viewing for you: Doves & Hawks (Portillo documentary on youtube): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kynqsL6JfzE

In the Name of Peace: John Hume in America was shown on BBC2, but can't find it now.

By the way, 'atrocities' is how Portillo described them, not me. If you are a spy in a country, don't expect anyone from that country to feel sorry for you if you come to a bad end. They are not James Bond who always comes out on top. And please don't compare the assisanation of spies to the indiscriminate murder by state forces of civilians watching a football match.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,085 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

I don't hate the EU, I believe brussels wants too much influence on the nations within the EU

Can we have some examples of this please?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,537 ✭✭✭droidman123

He has been dodging this and my question

• Registered Users Posts: 4,831 ✭✭✭RobMc59

I've given examples bonnie,do you intend to keep asking the same question daily?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 69,257 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

I've given examples bonnie,do you intend to keep asking the same question daily?

You've given examples that are no more extraordinary than the things that happen in any 'union'.

The United Kingdom has wielded it's influence over Irish Unionists by imposing the Sea Border on them for instance, for the greater good of the UK.

It's how 'unions' work Rob. Sometimes you have to do things you don't want to.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,273 ✭✭✭jh79

And what has that got to do with my post?

Is this gonna be a day where you argue about the saturation properties of oxidane?

Aren't you clever, using the IUPAC name for water. As a Scientist more than happy to dicuss it's properties.

And what has that got to do with my post?

Is this gonna be a day where you argue about the saturation properties of oxidane?

Well to be fair saying SF have links to criminality is akin to saying water is wet.

He has been dodging this and my question

It's the Unionist and Partitionist way. Come in, fumigate the place and then leave.

No actually, that's bishops.

Give more. You bring it up often enough that you should have a list of grievances as long as your arm.

• Advertisement

jh79 wrote: »
    Aren't you clever, using the IUPAC name for water. As a Scientist more than happy to dicuss it's properties.

You really do post in a humourless fashion.

jh79 wrote: »
    Well to be fair saying SF have links to criminality is akin to saying water is wet.

:rolleyes:

10 minutes to come up with that retort. Poor poor.

You literally can't be critical of the DUP and Unionists at all can you? Your posts are the sort that could make calamine lotion itchy.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,623 ✭✭✭Fionn1952

Give more. You bring it up often enjoy you should have a list of grievances as long as your arm.

You don't get it, Bonnie....the UK were clearly right to leave the EU because the EU is bad, they discussed doing a thing Rob wouldn't like (didn't actually do it mind), a thing that wouldn't have been on the table if the UK hadnt opted to leave the EU, but totally justifies their leaving somehow.

Throw in a few bendy bananas and it is clear that the EU is a house of cards just waiting to topple, and then we'll have a new Union, with Britain and it's Queen in their rightful place, leading the plebs (i.e. anyone not British). We'll start each day with God Save the Queen and finish with Rule Britannia.

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭lurleen lumpkin

'Political & constitutional methods'

So if the Unionist leaders are keen to undermine a Protocol that's in place to protect them from the idiotic decision that they made, what's the point in engaging with them as anything other than petulant children?

Can the rest of us just move on and talk and let the belligerents' come around eventually like they always do.

'Political & constitutional methods'

Like a legal agreement between governments and political unions perhaps?

• Registered Users Posts: 973 ✭✭✭grayzer75

You really do post in a humourless fashion.

:rolleyes:

10 minutes to come up with that retort. Poor poor.

You literally can't be critical of the DUP and Unionists at all can you? Your posts are the sort that could make calamine lotion itchy.

To be fair, my the Ulster fry is a UK variant of the Full Irish was funny.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,729 ✭✭✭eire4

Absolutely brilliant literally LOL stuff there. Poor old Wales there at the end classic.

• Advertisement

Of course it was democratic. I don't think some Unionists understand what a democracy is. This is a situation like they will find themselves in if a majority vote for a UI - I.E. go with the majority vote without being the slightest bit 'un-peaceful'.

Brexit was decided on in the exact same way and they spent 4 years ramming it down peoples throats that the UK as whole decided on Brexit. Well, the UK also decided on the Brexit deal too.

Given that the Unionists ran an apartheid style regime from Stormont for decades and seem to still pine for those days of supremacy I would say the Unionists relationship with democracy is rather tenuous to put it mildly.

You haven't been paying attention for the last century!

Unionism is never happy. It must be exhausting.

Professional Victims to use a recent Irving Welsh quote.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,626 ✭✭✭✭downcow

That is classic Bonnie. But she still hasn’t said if she thinks the remarks applied to micheal stone, which she affirmed, are equally applicable to ira members

Top notch Francie. I belong to a culture that enjoys a good laugh at ourselves - not like the irish, who got very upset at me posting a bit of humour on this thread the other day lol

downcow wrote: »
    Top notch Francie. I belong to a culture that enjoys a good laugh at ourselves - not like the irish, who got very upset at me posting a bit of humour on this thread the other day lol

I'm 'Irish' and posted that because it was funny downcow, You disproved your theory in your own post. You keep having these facepalm moments...hilarious.

I'm 'Irish' and posted that because it was funny downcow, You disproved your theory in your own post. You keep having these facepalm moments...hilarious.

You are far too sensitive Francie - now there’s a cultural difference!
    I was not referring to all Irish; I was referring to the Irish that got upset about my bit of humour.

We very much enjoy a laugh at our expense in OWC

I was not referring to all Irish; I was referring to the Irish that got upset about my bit of humour.

No idea what 'bit of humour' you are talking about.
    Your suggestion the Irish have no sense of humour though, now that is hilarious nonsense.

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭lurleen lumpkin

What's OWC? Orange Water Closet? Out With Catholics?

No idea what 'bit of humour' you are talking about.
    Your suggestion the Irish have no sense of humour though, now that is hilarious nonsense.

Francie, if you lived in OWC you would never have allowed yourself to get so wound up over, why you got wound up, lol Otherwise your mates would have found your weak link and they’d be onto you Haha

• Advertisement

Francie, if you lived in OWC you would never have allowed yourself to get so wound up over, why you got wound up, lol Otherwise your mates would have found your weak link and they’d be onto you Haha

What are you on about downcow? Wound up? Who got wound up?

Advertisement