Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How long before Irish reunification? (Part 2) Threadbans in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,728 ✭✭✭eire4

You and people like you don’t speak for most of us ,nor do you contribute in any way to our country . Take take take is all the likes of you barstoolers do .

Ahh I have to give you credit thanks for giving me a good old laugh. Fair play to you with that.

Unlike yourself I actually clearly stated that while I disagreed with your opinion you were entitled to that. Clearly from the tone of your reply respecting an opinion that differs from your own in this regard is not something that your capable of. Sad to see your incapable of that level at least of respect and civil discourse.

I merely pointed out your use of the word "we". Your entitled to your opinion no question about that and I respect that but I differ in my opinion in that I fully support Irish reunification.

As for your I guess kind of insult about take take take not even clear on what your trying to insinuate with that. But it does seem that having a diversity of and having respect for different opinions in Ireland is not something your in favour. Very telling that.

• Registered Users Posts: 69,155 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    Not by you or SF fans,

Well it's hardly the members of FF who'll be electing the SF leader is it.

Keep the membership happy and you are safe as leader. You can text that advice to Michael. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,728 ✭✭✭eire4

No actual examples, ? I know you are not the brightest (A huge understatement ) but, I said “all” the rubbish you talked /waffled about the economy d

This morning alone , I addressed them. Pathetic . You had nothing but “let’s agree to disagree” as a response . Why ? because that’s all you could muster ,because you haven’t a clue

. It was pointed out that what you were waffling about ,in vague detail about cross border commerce , was none-sense and why it was nonsense . You had zero response

Boards.ie is hilarious. It’s like a platform for the likes of you and Francie to compensate for her sheer failure in school and careers to pretend that they actually know what he are talking about

Yawn ? Lol, translation for “I’m way out of my depth”

Re blame, it’s never going to work when the IRA are bombing the place and sectarian division and mistrust continues. Tell the truth, YOU AND FRANCIE HAVE ZERO intention or desire for Stormont to work . And he two spoofers genuinely believe that them coming into a Unified Ireland would work

Basically, you are of the mindset that the Majority of Unionists in NI can **** off ,without any Consequences . Those lads ain’t moving ,ya know

We got our Republic in 1947 ! Nearly 20 years via Constitutional means !! The North sat on their arses and under the bed between 1916-1922, 50 years too late. They had zero support for their 1950s border campaign, they sought to hijack Hume n Coopers Civil Rights Movement snd they had **** all support for the violence that was carried out since the 1970s

Facts ? You barely know how to spell that word never mind understsnd what the word means

Family research lol. Sounds like what a Yank would say; most Irish families are clueless as to their family line pre 1800 due to lack of documents , the need or desire to actually bother to look in parish records and the weird tradition of not talking much about past generations of the family for some reasons

100% Irish lol, no such thing. Besides, again, that’s what many Plastic Paddies spout .

Claims to be 100% Irish ,then uses a British colloquial term. Lol

I DID NOT say or imply “Irish freedom doesn’t feature during recession”

Well done, you have proved why things go way above your head . Can you even read ? Go quote the full statement with that laughable interpretation . Did you even go to school ? Doesn’t look like it

Re read what I actually said. If you need it, go and get an adult to translate it for you

Irish freedom lol. That requires the support of a majority

FYI Ireland became a Republic in 1949 not 1947

• Registered Users Posts: 3,591 ✭✭✭cfuserkildare

eire4 wrote: »
    FYI Ireland became a Republic in 1949 not 1947

When was Ireland run as a single nation?

Before independence.

I cannot find info for when this was?

• Registered Users Posts: 659 ✭✭✭Fr D Maugire

When was Ireland run as a single nation?

Before independence.

I cannot find info for when this was?

Well Ireland had a government which sat in Dublin up until the Act of Union in 1800 which ruled all of the island. The parliament was subservient to Westminister and allegiance was to the crown, but parliament had responsibility for affairs in Ireland. Now it was a COI parliament that for a long time persecuted Catholics and minority religions like Presbyterians, but it still existed and all members were Irish or rather Anglo Irish.

When the Act of Union was proposed that required MPs to abolish parliament in Dublin and sit in Westminister, many of the members were opposed to it and had to be coerced/bribed into abolishing the Irish Parliament. Ironically, Catholics were likely to be in favour of the Act of Union as the British PM was promising more religious freedom for Catholics.

This same parliament is what Home Rule wanted to re-establish and the Home Rule party was set up by Isaac Butt, a Donegal Protestant who has witnessed first hand the mismanagement of the famine by Government in London. This was carried on by Charles Stewart Parnell, another Protestant, until his downfall. Of course most Unionists were now opposed to the idea of self-government in Ireland. What had happened in the intevening 80 years for them to do a U-turn on self-Government for Ireland? Catholics had got the vote and people like Butt and Parnell believed in giving Catholics more rights to own land etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,758 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

There is a process of all-island integration slowly but surely underway. Here is another example of that.

Major British retailers reconsidering their operations in NI due to imminent customs sea border.

https://twitter.com/adampayne26/status/1269193016817917955

I'm guessing it's Sainsburys or Asda referred to here.

Bit by bit British identity symbols are being eroded even now down to shopping.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

Well it's hardly the members of FF who'll be electing the SF leader is it.

Keep the membership happy and you are safe as leader. You can text that advice to Michael. ;)

Not hard to keep the SF supporters happy, previous leader protected paedophiles and SF supporter seem to have no issue with that.

So no FF member wouldn’t have anything to do with that “party”

There is a process of all-island integration slowly but surely underway. Here is another example of that.

Major British retailers reconsidering their operations in NI due to imminent customs sea border.

Why would Sainsbury or Asda pull out?

It was Asda I think in enniskillen had the biggest profit a couple of years ago across the entire uk. People from south coming up buying.

In case you hadn’t noticed but have a look around your local large shopping centre, majority of shops are “British identity symbols” :-)

So no FF member wouldn’t have anything to do with that “party”

Except on the night of the count when the sleeveen Martin thought he had more seats in the bag than he got. :):)

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/election-2020/martin-opens-the-door-to-coalition-with-sinn-fein-38941313.html

https://www.rte.ie/news/election-2020/2020/0209/1114244-pathway-to-coalition/

The Indo link: Asked about a coalition with Sinn Féin, he said: "I'm a democrat," before adding, "I listen to the people, I respect the decision of the people."

Hahahahaha, you should read the articles you post. Nothing in it says FF would go near SF, the only interview says they wouldn’t

Keep grasping Francie :-) voting for a party which has no issue with protecting children abusers!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,758 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Why would Sainsbury or Asda pull out?

It was Asda I think in enniskillen had the biggest profit a couple of years ago across the entire uk. People from south coming up buying.

In case you hadn’t noticed but have a look around your local large shopping centre, majority of shops are “British identity symbols” :-)

Supply chains will be switched to Irish/EU.

This won't suit either Sainsbury or Asda.

Because Tesco already have a presence here they are much less effected.

The other two face NI import costs that could well make their presence north of the border unviable from January. They will be importing from GB in to the EU single market at that point.

No bad thing. More room for Supervalu, Dunnes, Aldi, Lidl...and Irish products :-)

The Indo link: Asked about a coalition with Sinn Féin, he said: "I'm a democrat," before adding, "I listen to the people, I respect the decision of the people."

Hahahahaha, you should read the articles you post. Nothing in it says FF would go near SF, the only interview says they wouldn’t

!

That's just a party political cover story. The world and it's mother, not to mention headline writers, knew exactly what Michael was doing. His best traditional sleeveen going back on his word. He went back on it with FG as well. Best of luck trusting that guy.

That's just a party political cover story. The world and it's mother, not to mention headline writers, knew exactly what Michael was doing. His best traditional sleeveen going back on his word. He went back on it with FG as well. Best of luck trusting that guy.

Sorry I forgot your links into the inner workings of all the parties. Grasping at straws as usual Francie....

So we can thrust Mary Lou and the child abuser protectors? What word do you call them? You seem to have plenty for other parties and repeat on every post.

What do you call Gerry?

Sorry I forgot your links into the inner workings of all the parties. Grasping at straws as usual Francie....

So we can thrust Mary Lou and the child abuser protectors? What word do you call them? You seem to have plenty for other parties and repeat on every post.

What do you call Gerry?

Adams addressed what happened with his brother, which was totally wrong.

Adams is no saint nor a perfect politician, but would I trust his word over that of Michael Martin...everyday of the week, to be honest.

Well Ireland had a government which sat in Dublin up until the Act of Union in 1800 which ruled all of the island. The parliament was subservient to Westminister and allegiance was to the crown, but parliament had responsibility for affairs in Ireland. Now it was a COI parliament that for a long time persecuted Catholics and minority religions like Presbyterians, but it still existed and all members were Irish or rather Anglo Irish.

When the Act of Union was proposed that required MPs to abolish parliament in Dublin and sit in Westminister, many of the members were opposed to it and had to be coerced/bribed into abolishing the Irish Parliament. Ironically, Catholics were likely to be in favour of the Act of Union as the British PM was promising more religious freedom for Catholics.

This same parliament is what Home Rule wanted to re-establish and the Home Rule party was set up by Isaac Butt, a Donegal Protestant who has witnessed first hand the mismanagement of the famine by Government in London. This was carried on by Charles Stewart Parnell, another Protestant, until his downfall. Of course most Unionists were now opposed to the idea of self-government in Ireland. What had happened in the intevening 80 years for them to do a U-turn on self-Government for Ireland? Catholics had got the vote and people like Butt and Parnell believed in giving Catholics more rights to own land etc.

When was this Island Government started?

Adams addressed what happened with his brother, which was totally wrong.

Adams is no saint nor a perfect politician, but would I trust his word over that of Michael Martin...everyday of the week, to be honest.

A person who protect a child abuser is as bad as the child abuser themselves. The protector allows them to continue to do it and also to attack other children.

It's disgusting, Adams should have been fired into jail with his brother and let them both of them rot away.

The issue with SF is it wasn't just Adams, they all knew. Including Mary Lou. It's another one of those SF truths which the supporters love to go "oh that was addressed", let move on. Pity so many of them

To turn around and say you thrust those people, says a lot.....

In regards to a Unitied Ireland, it will happen. Not anytime soon and certainly now with the likes SF leading the campaign. Lets just wait till FF do a Good Friday again and sort the whole situation, like real politicians.

A person who protect a child abuser is as bad as the child abuser themselves. The protector allows them to continue to do it and also to attack other children.

It's disgusting, Adams should have been fired into jail with his brother and let them both of them rot away.

The issue with SF is it wasn't just Adams, they all knew. Including Mary Lou. It's another one of those SF truths which the supporters love to go "oh that was addressed", let move on. Pity so many of them

To turn around and say you thrust those people, says a lot.....

The PSNI scrutinised and questioned Adams about all of this and he had no charge to answer.

I accept that he made a mistake, a huge mistake, when it came to a situation within his family.
    He addressed though and was at court prepared to give evidence against his brother. He has apologised for it and like anyone who has made a mistake, I ask myself, would they do the same if it happened again? The answer for me is 'no'.
    Martin was under pressure to deal with the Ceann Comhairle's support for an abuser before the pandemic hit (it saved FF from having to address this case) and despite the pleadings of the family Michael Martin to my knowledge completely blanked and ignored the campaign.
    This is the guy rushing to the steps of the Dáil for photo ops with somebody when there was high moral grounding political capital to be made. Classic sleeveenism.
    In regards to a Unitied Ireland, it will happen. Not anytime soon and certainly now with the likes SF leading the campaign. Lets just wait till FF do a Good Friday again and sort the whole situation, like real politicians.

:):):)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,626 ✭✭✭✭downcow

Grasping at straws, more than a little, me thinks.
    If that is the best you can do to demonstrate that we are on a road to a united Ireland, then it is fairly pathetic.
    An obscure reporter suggests that an unnamed supermarket may be thinking about withdrawing from Northern Ireland.

I think of this does anything it shows how little evidence there is of a road to a united Ireland

downcow wrote: »
    If that is the best you can do to demonstrate that we are on a road to a united Ireland, then it is fairly pathetic.
    An obscure reporter suggests that an unnamed supermarket may be thinking about withdrawing from Northern Ireland.

I think of this does anything it shows how little evidence there is of a road to a united Ireland

Seems to me that it's more likely that they are being undercut by discount shops originating in the one country that is trying to control everything in the EU. IE Germany!!

The seriousness of the situation is elaborated on here:

https://sluggerotoole.com/2020/06/06/northern-ireland-is-about-to-learn-the-cost-of-lies/

Not a good place to be in, and not a very firm platform to be insisting 'nothing is gonna change'.

• Advertisement

Debehams is pulling out of the Republic, does that suggest a United Ireland or not? I am confused now as to what a shop closing down means in the bigger scheme of things :p

The seriousness of the situation is elaborated on here:

https://sluggerotoole.com/2020/06/06/northern-ireland-is-about-to-learn-the-cost-of-lies/

Not a good place to be in, and not a very firm platform to be insisting 'nothing is gonna change'.

Where do you lads find these websites? :P

Trawling the depths of the internet to find any random website for a topic :rolleyes:

Next you will be telling me "slugger" is a very valid source of information

• Registered Users Posts: 8,273 ✭✭✭jh79

Trawling the depths of the internet to find any random website for a topic :rolleyes:

I would of thought that was a very well known blog to be fair.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,300 ✭✭✭✭jm08

Where have you been that you have never heard of sluggerotoole. Its been around a very long time and one of the few places where you will get unionists and nationalists actually engaging in discussion that doesn't decend into complete 'whataboutery'.

Edit: Its been around since 2002. https://sluggerotoole.com/about/about-slugger-otoole/

jm08 wrote: »
    Where have you been that you have never heard of sluggerotoole. Its been around a very long time and one of the few places where you will get unionists and nationalists actually engaging in discussion that doesn't decend into complete 'whataboutery'.

Where have I been? well working, family time and generally living my life. Where have you been?

It's a blog, a glorified version of boards.

Would you use boards to find out economic information for the Rep or Northern Ireland? maybe I shouldnt ask that question

Boards started in around 1998. Do you think the information posted on boards should be held in higher standing because it is older?

• Registered Users Posts: 659 ✭✭✭Fr D Maugire

When was this Island Government started?

I am gonna assume you actually have some angle on this or are you incapable of doing a bit of research yourself.? Before the arrival of the Normans, there was the High Kings, Brehon Laws, a shared culture, language etc, but as we know, the Irish Chieftains fought constantly among themselves. This was not unusual as the same happened in Brittania. The Normans set up Government in the 13th Century, but only covered their own lands which fluctuated over time as we know. It was when King Henry VIII crowned himself King of Ireland in the 16th Century that an all island Government was set up that included the Irish Chieftains and rebellious Old Normans. How loyal the Irish or Old Normans were was always in flux.

In reality Ireland was always recognised as a single separate entity from the rest of Britain until the Act of Union. The governments in Dublin may habe been subservient to the King or Westminister, but it was they who governed in Ireland, all of Ireland. If you want to compare it to the current Scottish Parliament or even Stormont, Irish Governments would have been similar. The notion of a divided island did not come about until home rule was put on the table. As I posted previously, this would have been a return to a similar all island government as before. The unionists were opposed to it, not because it meant leaving the UK, but because they baulked at the idea of a democratically elected government that would have a Catholic majority.

Where have I been? well working, family time and generally living my life. Where have you been?

It's a blog, a glorified version of boards.

Would you use boards to find out economic information for the Rep or Northern Ireland? maybe I shouldnt ask that question

The Slugger has a very Unionist centric focus in my opinion but that is not a sufficient reason in my mind to ignore it, as it is often a way of assessing the Unionist argument. You can argue with what is said on it.

Can you argue with what the writer has to say?

*I am not really interested in your lack of knowledge or awareness anymore. It is a pitiful excuse tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,300 ✭✭✭✭jm08

Boards started in around 1998. Do you think the information posted on boards should be held in higher standing because it is older?

Boards isn't a blog.And yes, since the editor/owner of sluggerotoole is a journalist, Anyway, here is a short list of its credentials.

• Best Current Affairs / Political blog Littlewoods Ireland Blog Awards 2016 and 2017
    • Longlisted for the Orwell Blog Prize in 2012
    • "Best Political Blog" in Galway at the Irish Blog Awards in 2010.[2]
    • Winner the Peace Through Media Award 2009 from the International Council for Press and Broadcasting BBC Report:[3]
    • Shortlisted for Politics Online's "The Top 10 Who Are Changing the World of Internet and Politics" 2006 and 2009.[4]
    • "Best Website of the Month" and specially commended in the "Website of the Year Award" at the BT GoldenEye T Awards in May 2006.
    • First in the "Best Political Blog" section in the Irish Blog Awards in 2006.
    • In 2005 it won "Best European Political Weblog" in the first Satin Pajamas competition held by A Fistful of Euros. [1].
    • It won the New Statesman "New Media Award" for community and information in 2004.

• Advertisement

Boards isn't a blog.And yes, since the editor/owner of sluggerotoole is a journalist, Anyway, here is a short list of its credentials.

• Best Current Affairs / Political blog Littlewoods Ireland Blog Awards 2016 and 2017
    • Longlisted for the Orwell Blog Prize in 2012
    • "Best Political Blog" in Galway at the Irish Blog Awards in 2010.[2]
    • Winner the Peace Through Media Award 2009 from the International Council for Press and Broadcasting BBC Report:[3]
    • Shortlisted for Politics Online's "The Top 10 Who Are Changing the World of Internet and Politics" 2006 and 2009.[4]
    • "Best Website of the Month" and specially commended in the "Website of the Year Award" at the BT GoldenEye T Awards in May 2006.
    • First in the "Best Political Blog" section in the Irish Blog Awards in 2006.
    • In 2005 it won "Best European Political Weblog" in the first Satin Pajamas competition held by A Fistful of Euros. [1].
    • It won the New Statesman "New Media Award" for community and information in 2004.

Such international renowed awards :P

Best one is "Irish Blog Awards in 2010". What did they get? a USB mouse:P

Advertisement