Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How long before Irish reunification? (Part 2) Threadbans in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,618 ✭✭✭✭downcow

Fionn1952 wrote: »
    The state that encompasses the 26 counties free of British rule are officially called Ireland. Ulster is officially nine counties, two thirds of which make up NI.

The use of the two terms is not comparable, though I do understand it can be confusing when the island is also officially called Ireland, despite the great difficulty you have with acknowledging any degree of Irish connection, despite even Ian Paisley Sr being comfortable with acknowledging his own.

I am Northern Irish through and through.
    I don’t mind what you call your country but it is a bit confusing when it seems to have so many names.
    If you want to use the name of the whole island for a bit of it then that’s fine in the same way as if some up here want to use the name of the whole province for a bit of it
    I personally never refer to ni as Ulster except in many of our football songs.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,598 ✭✭✭Fionn1952

downcow wrote: »
    I don’t mind what you call your country but it is a bit confusing when it seems to have so many names.
    If you want to use the name of the whole island for a bit of it then that’s fine in the same way as if some up here want to use the name of the whole province for a bit of it

What I call my country is irrelevant, hence why I referred to official nomenclature.

It is almost as if your confusion implies that the two parts of the island should be united. Welcome to the Irish Nationalist side of the fence!

What I call my country is irrelevant, hence why I referred to official nomenclature.

It is almost as if your confusion implies that the two parts of the island should be united. Welcome to the Irish Nationalist side of the fence!

Eire
    Free state
    Ireland
    Rep of Ireland
    The 26 counties
    Erin
    The state
    Etc

Eire
    Free state
    Ireland
    Rep of Ireland
    The 26 counties
    Erin
    The state
    Etc

Or we could stick with the offical name for the country when we're speaking in the English language; Ireland.

The Irish Free State hasn't existed since 1937, Republic of Ireland is a soccer team, the 26 counties is a description, Eire is a misspelling of the name of the country in it's native language (Erin is a misspelling of the genitive case for that name in that native language) and, 'the state' is terminology I've genuinely never heard in my entire life.

As an aside, I see the BBC are continuing in that weird, exclusively colloquially Irish tendency to report on the Pope's activities in Iraq despite that being something only insignificant Rome Rule news outlets like the RTE would ever report on...

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-middle-east-56309779

Even more bizarrely, it is front page news on the BBC website (second most prominent headline right now), and doesn't even feature on the front page of that pesky Papist RTE website....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Junkyard Tom

That Pope fella's visit to Iraq was one of the top-of-the-hour reports on Sky News earlier too.

A request to light up Stormont red to mark the ‘European Victims of Terrorism Day’ has been rejected. And yes guess who has blocked it. Those great Europeans Sinn Fein. That party who names some of their offices after terrorists. Well at least they are consistent in their admiration for republican terrorism.

Pretty shocking even by sf standards

As an aside, I see the BBC are continuing in that weird, exclusively colloquially Irish tendency to report on the Pope's activities in Iraq despite that being something only insignificant Rome Rule news outlets like the RTE would ever report on...

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-middle-east-56309779

Even more bizarrely, it is front page news on the BBC website (second most prominent headline right now), and doesn't even feature on the front page of that pesky Papist RTE website....

I watched both RTÉ news and bbc news one evening and reported how I found it including the pope and de angels. I completely accept the pope is now getting good coverage on bbc. Rangers still aren’t getting much on RTÉ but I imagine the non covid compliant celebrations will get covered

A request to light up Stormont red to mark the ‘European Victims of Terrorism Day’ has been rejected. And yes guess who has blocked it. Those great Europeans Sinn Fein. That party who names some of their offices after terrorists. Well at least they are consistent in their admiration for republican terrorism.

Pretty shocking even by sf standards

Good interview this morning from a victim of a Uvf bomb in Dublin that killed his father. He is disgusted with sf blocking this acknowledgement. He went on to say that unionist politicians have been much more help to him and his family than nationalists.
    This is what many ordinary people in Roi don’t get; that most nationalists have not faced up to the terror committed in their name while most Unionists have.

I watched both RTÉ news and bbc news one evening and reported how I found it including the pope and de angels. I completely accept the pope is now getting good coverage on bbc. Rangers still aren’t getting much on RTÉ but I imagine the non covid compliant celebrations will get covered

I presume De Angels is some weird attempt at The Angelus? Look, we're all aware you like to show your distaste for anything with a Catholic association, but how the hell have you forgot how to spell, 'the'?!

Great to hear that you're happy to concede your rambling about the Pope was nonsense though.

Rangers winning the SPL was on the RTE News at 9 last night, and here it is on the RTE website

https://amp.rte.ie/amp/1201492/

What exactly were you expecting? 'We interrupt this programme to bring you some breaking news' type of announcements? 24 hours solid of RTE repeating that Rangers have won the SPL? Scottish football isn't the biggest of news anywhere outside of Scotland, Rangers have received about as much coverage for their SPL win here as anywhere else outside of Scotland, and the same amount of coverage as Celtic received the nine times in a row they won the SPL before Rangers first SPL win (a phenomenal achievement for a club that is less than ten years old admittedly).

As for complaining about coverage of the non-Covid compliant celebrations, that is also being covered by practically every major news outlet, including the BBC, the Guardian, Sky Sports and the (hardly describable as anti Unionist) Belfast Telegraph, so I've no idea what your criticism of RTE sharing news on that incident is either.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,254 ✭✭✭Nqp15hhu

I have never said Ulster for NI.

It is wonderful news and a lovely neighbourly gesture that our first minister is encouraging Boris to offer vaccines to ROI to rescue their vaccine programme.
    This will be great, not only for you guys in ROI, but it will help us exit lockdown quicker as otherwise the open border is going to be an issue.
    The more cooperation across our two islands the better.

I was worried this would be used as an excuse for us to be kept in lockdown after being vaccinated. I think I am going to go to England for a few weeks if they come out with this, I can’t cope with lockdown anymore.

Easiest way to ensure cross border cooperation is no border, Downcow. You'd be back in the EU and get rid of all those NI Protocol issues you find so egregious too.

Didn't have you down as a closet Republican at all!

The issues surround trade with GB. That would enhance the trade barriers.

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭Annd9

Unfortunately only English football gets decent media coverage in the south Downcow , you would be lucky to see results from the League of Ireland never mind Scotland! it's nothing against Rangers .

As for the scene's in Belfast yesterday , I have yet to see any mention of it . Hopefully the likes of Nolan will keep highlighting it for months as a super spreader event like a certain funeral .........
    Although SF should be held to higher standards then a bunch of people celebrating a foreign team winning a foreign league !

• Registered Users Posts: 4,831 ✭✭✭RobMc59

Another blow to the prospects of a UI with the dire position the Republic finds itself in.Whose going to want to pay for a UI with this hanging over them?

https://www.irishtimes.com/business/economy/ireland-to-have-highest-debt-per-head-in-europe-this-year-1.4503652

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭ulster

RobMc59 wrote: »
    Another blow to the prospects of a UI with the dire position the Republic finds itself in.Whose going to want to pay for a UI with this hanging over them?

https://www.irishtimes.com/business/economy/ireland-to-have-highest-debt-per-head-in-europe-this-year-1.4503652

It's ok, England can continue to pay for it, with its huge available surplus of cash

https://www.ft.com/content/57974640-8bea-448c-9d0b-32f34825f13e

• Registered Users Posts: 23,677 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

ulster wrote: »
    It's ok, England can continue to pay for it, with its huge available surplus of cash

https://www.ft.com/content/57974640-8bea-448c-9d0b-32f34825f13e

Ouch

• Registered Users Posts: 11,300 ✭✭✭✭jm08

RobMc59 wrote: »

Actually, unification would lower the national debt per person.

By the way, according to that article, Ireland really isn't that far behind other countries, including UK (different of 10K per person).

• Registered Users Posts: 8,265 ✭✭✭jh79

jm08 wrote: »
    Actually, unification would lower the national debt per person.

By the way, according to that article, Ireland really isn't that far behind other countries, including UK (different of 10K per person).

Unification would also significantly reduce our Per Capita Income. Would reduce from 79K to 65k approximately.

I presume De Angels is some weird attempt at The Angelus? Look, we're all aware you like to show your distaste for anything with a Catholic association, but how the hell have you forgot how to spell, 'the'?!

Great to hear that you're happy to concede your rambling about the Pope was nonsense though.

Rangers winning the SPL was on the RTE News at 9 last night, and here it is on the RTE website

https://amp.rte.ie/amp/1201492/

What exactly were you expecting? 'We interrupt this programme to bring you some breaking news' type of announcements? 24 hours solid of RTE repeating that Rangers have won the SPL? Scottish football isn't the biggest of news anywhere outside of Scotland, Rangers have received about as much coverage for their SPL win here as anywhere else outside of Scotland, and the same amount of coverage as Celtic received the nine times in a row they won the SPL before Rangers first SPL win (a phenomenal achievement for a club that is less than ten years old admittedly).

As for complaining about coverage of the non-Covid compliant celebrations, that is also being covered by practically every major news outlet, including the BBC, the Guardian, Sky Sports and the (hardly describable as anti Unionist) Belfast Telegraph, so I've no idea what your criticism of RTE sharing news on that incident is either.

I don’t expect RTÉ to cover stuff of interest to unionists. I am just saying some on here seem to think they do.
    I watched this evenings news on RTÉ and timed it. They spent over 5 times as long talking about the after match celebrations than they did talking about the win. This was not the case on ni news
    I know it is sad that I timed it but I don’t know how else to get you to take your head out of the sand.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Junkyard Tom

At this stage I'd say DC watches more RTE News than any one on this thread.

PhysicalWellmadeHydatidtapeworm-max-1mb.gif

I don’t expect RTÉ to cover stuff of interest to unionists. I am just saying some on here seem to think they do.
    I watched this evenings news on RTÉ and timed it. They spent over 5 times as long talking about the after match celebrations than they did talking about the win. This was not the case on ni news
    I know it is sad that I timed it but I don’t know how else to get you to take your head out of the sand.

It is pretty sad alright. So we're back to my initial comment; what do you expect? 'We interrupt this programme to bring you breaking news' broadcast at the final whistle of the Celtic game? An hour long special broadcast instead of the news?

What is your actual suggestion here? That RTE covering the non compliant celebrations is for sectarian reasons (then you'd want to have a word with pretty much every major news outlet, who also covered it)? That you won't support Unification because Irish people aren't interested enough in the SPL?

The thing is, television broadcasts are about numbers. A few hundred thousand extra Rangers fans in the event of Unification and I'm confident that the amount of coverage Rangers would get would increase.

News reflects the needs and interests of its viewers, if more people cared about Rangers, there would be increased coverage. At present, given the global pandemic, more people are concerned about large groups of people having non regulation compliant celebrations than they are a soccer result.

I suggest that you take a look at the amount of coverage say Manchester United get in NI papers versus Rangers before you continue on with this genuinely insane ramble.

Out of interest, care to share which news broadcast you watched, and your numbers on the amount of time spend on coverage of their victory versus coverage of the non compliant celebrations?

At this stage I'd say DC watches more RTE News than any one on this thread.

PhysicalWellmadeHydatidtapeworm-max-1mb.gif

Yeah I’d agree. I have probably watched it 10 times in my life and 3 of those have been in the last week.
    I’ll see if I can get some therapy to deal with my addiction

• Registered Users Posts: 4,426 ✭✭✭maestroamado

I wonder if there was a poll done today what %%% of people would want a United Ireland?
    I do not see SF jumping up and down and now is the time... but do we want it?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,775 ✭✭✭Sunny Disposition

The unionist fretting over the NI protocol is way off. There has to be a border post Brexit, the question is where.
    Suppose they got their way, no barriers at all East-West but one between North and South instead. That’d be a great boost for those seeking to end partition. It’d give republicans of every hue something to rail against and probably galvanise the Irish diaspora. There may be some inconvenience with the NI protocol but in the long run it is better for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,775 ✭✭✭Sunny Disposition

I wonder if there was a poll done today what %%% of people would want a United Ireland?
    I do not see SF jumping up and down and now is the time... but do we want it?

Now is not the time I think, but the time is close. Maybe a 60% chance of reunification within ten years, would say almost no chance of partition still being in place by 2041.
    SF are not the people to lead the movement towards reunification, they are toxic to Protestants, with good reason. Need the Southern parties to show some leadership in the issue, make themselves known to unionists and show them that religion is not a factor in daily life in the Republic.
    If the unionist leaders keep doing what they’re doing reunification will come sooner rather than later, but many in the Protestant community won’t be ready for it.

Now is not the time I think, but the time is close. Maybe a 60% chance of reunification within ten years, would say almost no chance of partition still being in place by 2041.
    SF are not the people to lead the movement towards reunification, they are toxic to Protestants, with good reason. Need the Southern parties to show some leadership in the issue, make themselves known to unionists and show them that religion is not a factor in daily life in the Republic.
    If the unionist leaders keep doing what they’re doing reunification will come sooner rather than later, but many in the Protestant community won’t be ready for it.

Tell me.
    If british parties showed some leadership in the issue, make themselves known to nationalists and show them that religion is not a factor in daily life in the UK.
    Would you consider Roi reuniting with the UK?

• Registered Users Posts: 860 ✭✭✭UDAWINNER

You should tell Leo that, he was a making a big deal out of religion only the other day and this is a man who doesn't say things to score political points:)

• Registered Users Posts: 860 ✭✭✭UDAWINNER

Tell me.
    If british parties showed some leadership in the issue, make themselves known to nationalists and show them that religion is not a factor in daily life in the UK.

Great Leadership by Boris today to only meet the Unionist Leader, says it all to all the nationalist community what he thinks of them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,014 ✭✭✭trashcan

Tell me.

Tell me, do you think there is a significant number of people in the ROI who want to “re-unite” with the UK ? If there were, maybe you could compare the two.

Advertisement