Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How long before Irish reunification? (Part 2) Threadbans in OP

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

The Slugger has a very Unionist centric focus in my opinion but that is not a sufficient reason in my mind to ignore it, as it is often a way of assessing the Unionist argument. You can argue with what is said on it.

Can you argue with what the writer has to say?

*I am not really interested in your lack of knowledge or awareness anymore. It is a pitiful excuse tbh.

The blogger not the writer.

Gemma O'Doh is a blogger, you going to use her as a source next if she posts something you like?

Unfortuneatly most people have a life so don't have the time to read every random website knocking around. Better things to be at. Anything that is relevant and worth discussing will be on the prominent websites. The rest if just "fake news"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,718 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    The blogger not the writer.

Gemma O'Doh is a blogger, you going to use her as a source next if she posts something you like?

Unfortuneatly most people have a life so don't have the time to read every random website knocking around. Better things to be at. Anything that is relevant and worth discussing will be on the prominent websites. The rest if just "fake news"

So Business Insider and SLugger O'Toole are 'random websites'.

Okie doke, I think we have you now Shef.

Lordy that was a laugh and a half! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 11,301 ✭✭✭✭jm08

Such international renowed awards :P

Best one is "Irish Blog Awards in 2010". What did they get? a USB mouse:P

Here are a list of the categories, their sponsors and those nominated in 2010.

http://awards.ie/blogawards/2010/03/19/2010-irish-blog-awards-finalists/

So Business Insider and SLugger O'Toole are 'random websites'.

Okie doke, I think we have you now Shef.

Lordy that was a laugh and a half! :D

Business Insider was a fluff piece. Similar to your Indo article to "prove" FF wanted to negotiate with SF and nothing in the article confirmed that

When you do provide a source it is usually not reliable or does not actually provide confirmation of the point you are making.

The phrase "pulling it out of your ass" comes to mind. When questioned you never have an answer and deflect. Usually we get some post which you try to poke humour, que post above.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,085 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

jh79 wrote: »
    I would of thought that was a very well known blog to be fair.

We had this a few weeks ago with another user who didn't understand how Mick Fealty might be considered a "unionist" commentator.

And these people insist they're well informed...

Another Partitionist doesn't know about Slugger; quelle suprise!

• Advertisement

Business Insider was a fluff piece. Similar to your Indo article to "prove" FF wanted to negotiate with SF and nothing in the article confirmed that

When you do provide a source it is usually not reliable or does not actually provide confirmation of the point you are making.

The phrase "pulling it out of your ass" comes to mind. When questioned you never have an answer and deflect. Usually we get some post which you try to poke humour, que post above.

Sure Shef.

It wouldn't be just that you don't like what all these sources have to say would it? :)

We had this a few weeks ago with another user who didn't understand how Mick Fealty might be considered a "unionist" commentator.

And these people insist they're well informed...

Another Partitionist doesn't know about Slugger; quelle suprise!

I didn't buy either stances for a second. Easier to shoot the messenger for these guys, than to face up to what is being said.

Funny, this 'fluff' can never be countered in itself.

Boards started in around 1998. Do you think the information posted on boards should be held in higher standing because it is older?

Stop digging Shef.

Slugger is a well-known in Northern political discussion. You'd know that if the height of your discussions were a bit more than "Sinn Féin bad".

I didn't buy either stances for a second. Easier to shoot the messenger for these guys, than to face up to what is being said.

Funny, this 'fluff' can never be countered in itself.

Oh aye. It's the usual SF pile on crew as well. Nothing else to stay about Northern politics except "Sinn Féin bad"!

Anyway, hopefully we can put this whole embarrassing saga behind us.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭mick087

This will happen but when is a very tough question.
    There are so many young people on both sides with very one minded views.
    I dont see this happening for a very long time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,702 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

mick087 wrote: »

Correct M.

Only driven and idealistic coins seem to follow that path.

Hard to justify, a normal person would reckon.

mick087 wrote: »

I would start with the basics. Something the SF party and supporters are incapable of answering. Start with getting answers to basics and then work from their.

Shouting on TV without even any idea how to even fix the basic question would just mean running a refurendum at the cost of millions and then complain when you dont get the answer you want.

It is standard SF, shout and hope the real politicians will sort it out

I would start with the basics.

Having done a good bit of work in committee, FF and FG seem intent on continuing with the 'basics' with it's Unity Unit.

Two year remit, have the border poll.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,285 ✭✭✭jh79

Having done a good bit of work in committee, FF and FG seem intent on continuing with the 'basics' with it's Unity Unit.

Two year remit, have the border poll.

Where did you read that?

jh79 wrote: »
    Where did you read that?

Apologies, I may not have been clear there.
    The Unity Unit is part of the putative programme for government and is a sign that the pressure is now on to address and plan for this.
    https://www.reuters.com/article/us-ireland-politics/potential-irish-ruling-partners-would-set-up-united-ireland-unit-idUSKCN21X2OV

The last sentence is what I think should happen, so that they can't be accused of the usual dithering.

I would start with the basics. Something the SF party and supporters are incapable of answering. Start with getting answers to basics and then work from their.

Shouting on TV without even any idea how to even fix the basic question would just mean running a refurendum at the cost of millions and then complain when you dont get the answer you want.

It is standard SF, shout and hope the real politicians will sort it out

Is there anything else you can talk about in here regarding reunification without yabbering on about Sinn Féin and what they do or don't do etc?

Like, anything at all?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭mick087

I just dont see this happening in my lifetime.
    There are many faces from the political world of N Ireland that will not only have to be retired, but also need to have no say or clout anymore.
    This is a really really tough one

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭brandodub

You'd be surprised what a pandemic can do. Already there are signs of unprecedented all island co-operation.
    Interesting to see how the regulatory border will push that even further

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,702 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

Michelle O’Neill on MI this am didn’t answer one question put to her by Audrey Carville.

As I posted, the only chance of a United Ireland is if FF and FG go to the DUP and UK government about it. Unfortuneatly at the moment SF spent a lot of time shouting about it but doing nothing to assist in the transition to a United Ireland.

SF are part of the conversation as they are supposed to be part of the government in Northern Ireland. So discussing a UI will have to involve SF. Same as all the rest of the parties had to get the Good Friday agreement in place and then bring in SF, but if you listen to SF now they openly say they brought around the GF agreement.

In reality, the best option for the North if they want to join the Rep is kick out SF out of power sharing, then the proper politicians could work together

You're a loon.

There was no Good Friday 'Agreement' without SF.

There was one without the DUP though.

• Advertisement

As I posted, the only chance of a United Ireland is if FF and FG go to the DUP and UK government about it. Unfortuneatly at the moment SF spent a lot of time shouting about it but doing nothing to assist in the transition to a United Ireland.

How did yous come to this conclusion?

In reality, the best option for the North if they want to join the Rep is kick out SF out of power sharing, then the proper politicians could work together

Agh yes....the only way for powersharing to work is just not allowed nationlists to vote for who they want/ban their representives :rolleyes:

Hint mate: its never gonna work,what hope has it,if unionists wont allow a modest compromise of a irish language act...its been 20 years wasted

Your dislike of sinn fein seems to have poisioned the part of your mind,which controls logic and commonsense though :D

SF are part of the conversation as they are supposed to be part of the government in Northern Ireland. So discussing a UI will have to involve SF. Same as all the rest of the parties had to get the Good Friday agreement in place and then bring in SF, but if you listen to SF now they openly say they brought around the GF agreement.

None of this makes any sense.

You're a loon.

There was no Good Friday 'Agreement' without SF.

There was one without the DUP though.

The Good Friday was because of FF, Labour, Clinton, Mitchell and John Hume.

None of this makes any sense.

What have SF done to progress a United Ireland since the Good Friday agreement?

Have they managed to mend any bridges with the wider Northern Ireland community?

Have they managed to progress NI in terms of jobs/employment etc?

Think about it, what are the chances they will do any better in the next 10 years?

Agh yes....must have imagined sf being at the negociations....indeed didnt adams famously sign xoxoxo after his name on it,on at least 1 copy???

And nobody else. Good to see you not even crediting moderate unionists.

What have SF done to progress a United Ireland since the Good Friday agreement?

Right...

So it's SF's fault we aren't nearer to a UI than we were in 1998?

And there's me thinking we were closer than ever?

Have they managed to mend any bridges with the wider Northern Ireland community?

Crocodiles eating curried yogurt is all they are!

Have they managed to progress NI in terms of jobs/employment etc?

What would be an acceptable measure here for you?
    Think about it, what are the chances they will do any better in the next 10 years?

Honestly, I couldn't give a shoite about your SF obsession. It's bordering on fanatical at this stage.

Exclusionary politics again...good man Shef.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Junkyard Tom

As I posted, the only chance of a United Ireland is if FF and FG go to the DUP and UK government about it.

The DUP are utterly implacable when it comes to a UI. You know this and are deliberately making their capitulation to a UI a daft condition to some crazy oul process you made up in your head.

• Advertisement

Honestly, I couldn't give a shoite about your SF obsession. It's bordering on fanatical at this stage.

Its impressive,the way this lad devotes so much time and energy to a political party...

While franciebrady (high quality content poster) defends them to hilt,shef attacks incessemtly to extent,if they found cure for cancer,he'd likely complain them about putting doctors outta jobs :pac:

I personally enjoy this fanatical posting,its great to see a different view too

Be somewhat taken aback,if they turn out to be same person :/

Advertisement