Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How long before Irish reunification? (Part 2) Threadbans in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,831 ✭✭✭RobMc59

One wonders why the UK government proposed and agreed to such a terrible deal.

As time passes,it's apparent both parties are to blame.The current situation of sniping at each other and petty squabbling isn't helping anyone.The tories insisting no close ties to brussels and brussels saying only a common sense approach if you do what we say,which as the much more powerful party is to be expected but here's the downside-irs not only hitting the UK it's hitting EU trade into the UK. It's easy to blame it all on the UK but if you consider the complex,unique trading relationship,security and so much more,is this deal the best both parties could come up with?Should the UK be treated as just another 3rd party or should a truly innovative,groundbreaking deal have been hammered out?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,635 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

RobMc59 wrote: »
    As time passes,it's apparent both parties are to blame.The current situation of sniping at each other and petty squabbling isn't helping anyone.The tories insisting no close ties to brussels and brussels saying only a common sense approach if you do what we say,which as the much more powerful party is to be expected but here's the downside-irs not only hitting the UK it's hitting EU trade into the UK. It's easy to blame it all on the UK but if you consider the complex,unique trading relationship,security and so much more,is this deal the best both parties could come up with?Should the UK be treated as just another 3rd party or should a truly innovative,groundbreaking deal have been hammered out?

The bad faith behaviour is entirely down to the UK. Entirely. The Tories insisted on limited alignment to Brussels and this is the result.

Theresa May drew her red lines and Brussels' response to was to negotiate within that framework. Need I dig up that Powerpoint slide yet again?

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

• Registered Users Posts: 729 ✭✭✭Granadino

I wonder does Jim Allister get really pissed off with all the St Paddy's day (granted it's a good marketing stunt) stuff around the world, rivers died green etc. Does he wonder why the American WASPS never do the same for July 12th....
    Ah if only Willie Frazer was still around.....

• Registered Users Posts: 68,770 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Granadino wrote: »
    I wonder does Jim Allister get really pissed off with all the St Paddy's day (granted it's a good marketing stunt) stuff around the world, rivers died green etc. Does he wonder why the American WASPS never do the same for July 12th....
    Ah if only Willie Frazer was still around.....

Jim is upset at not getting yet another Unionist monument erected that seems to me anyway to have 7 counties now...is there something I haven't been told? :)

https://twitter.com/JimAllister/status/1372602253807390731

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,635 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Jim is upset at not getting yet another Unionist monument erected that seems to me anyway to have 7 counties now...is there something I haven't been told? :)

Maybe he wants to revive Terence O'Neill's plan to drain Lough Neagh?

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,045 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

Maybe it's a metaphor for how NI would have been more stable with Monaghan and the rest of Oriel?

Maybe it's a metaphor for how NI would have been more stable with Monaghan and the rest of Oriel?

The horse bolted from that stable horse! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,688 ✭✭✭eire4

Unionism is fascinating in a strange way. Absolutely venerate Britain, sometimes mention 'the mainland', but they are totally out of step with it.

Opinions that people might have held 40 years ago are still completely acceptable at the very top of unionism, but not anywhere else in the UK or Ireland. Ulster Protestants love for the UK is totally unrequited, which is kind of sad, but somehow they never seem to move on.

Its a complex identity, often shown in very negative ways like support for the Orange Order (which doesn't alllow Catholics), huge bonfires and support for very outdates social positions. It just doesn't seem to regenerate at all.

That is largely because it is an identity build on supremacy of one group over another. Nowhere to go with that really other then recognising that is wrong. Agree with what your saying there in general. Loved how you used unrequited. Excellent.

Ahh yes put up a monument to commemorate the founding of a bigoted, racist apartheid statelet 100 years ago. How could anybody object to that. That is so risible.

eire4 wrote: »
    Ahh yes put up a monument to commemorate the founding of a bigoted, racist apartheid statelet 100 years ago. How could anybody object to that. That is so risible.

Whereas a statue of Sean russell ,ira member and nazi henchman is grand.

• Advertisement

Carson, the terrorist who put the gun back into Irish politics is already front and centre at Stormont...along with a plethora of Unionist statuary and names.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,045 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

Carson, the terrorist who put the gun back into Irish politics is already front and centre at Stormont...along with a plethora of Unionist statuary and names.

Wait til Rob tells us he was from Dublin...

Wait til Rob tells us he was from Dublin...

I'm well aware who Carson is,I took this photo a couple of years ago at the museum in letterkenny.

Your whataboutery is on fire today I see Rob love it great stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,618 ✭✭✭✭downcow

I'm sorry you don't seem to understand.

Unionists have been quite explicitly told that time is up. You need to get in to negotiations with Dublin.

What other way do you need to be told?

It's patently obvious they want you out.

The British, to be fair, are trying to tell you in the nicest way possible.

Thanks to the gfa we the people of ni hold all the cards on that one.

eire4 wrote: »

My town centre has an illegal granite monument in its centre on Council property. The monument is to a terrorist organisation which murdered townsfolk in living memory.

I guess you think that is fine?

Watch this space. The monument will be erected.

It can be put up in 20 minutes any night. There will be some crack getting through the stormont red tape to get it removed - will it require a majority of both communities to remove it? It could be interesting.

Pretty significant and ominous warning for Unionism.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-britain-eu-nireland-minister-idUSKBN2BB1WU

Pretty significant and ominous warning for Unionism.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-britain-eu-nireland-minister-idUSKBN2BB1WU

It’s quite sad really. This is the outcome of Roi using threat of violence for two years To get there own way.

Little does Roi see that the Eu is just using them and the ni border to increase difficulties for UK and deter others from trying to leave.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Junkyard Tom

Republican dissidents must be absolutely delighted with Unionism's relentless own-goals. Britain's international reputation is in the toilet and it has essentially inflicted harsh trade sanctions on itself with its awful Brexit deal and woeful unpreparedness.

There is no happy ending for anyone in all this not least of all N/Irish Unionism. I could imagine Stormont falling and crippling austerity being visited upon the north from England by various methods, practically guaranteeing a pro-UI vote within a few years.

A United Ireland could end up being a sort of rescue mission.

Republican dissidents must be absolutely delighted with Unionism's relentless own-goals. Britain's international reputation is in the toilet and it has essentially inflicted harsh trade sanctions on itself with its awful Brexit deal and woeful unpreparedness.

There is no happy ending for anyone in all this not least of all N/Irish Unionism. I could imagine Stormont falling and crippling austerity being visited upon the north from England by various methods, practically guaranteeing a pro-UI vote within a few years.

A United Ireland could end up being a sort of rescue mission.

The irony. As the world looks on in admiration at the UK, Tom says it’s reputation has gone down the toilet.
    Watch the national news last night. British press, not known for talking up the nation, are cock-a-hoop about the UK reputation at the minute.

We are leading every aspect of dealing with the pandemic.
    Most advanced geneo technology in the world
    Most advanced in detecting variants
    Most advanced in developing vaccines
    On of the best rollouts worldwide
    Booster shots ready to go for autumn
    First to sign a series of contracts with foreign vaccine makers
    Not deflected by silly rumours about clots like many European countries.

I have never been as proud or relieved to be british.

....and Eu doesn’t know who to stop the vaccines coming our way as they are kicking themselves that they have left the back door open with the Irish protocol.

I genuinely hope the UK will follow Arlene’s advice and bring Roi along with us on vaccines (if you are allowed to use uk vaccines). But that won’t look good for the United irelanders

Maybe we can all agree to trigger artic 16 to at least get the vaccines from UK to Roi

• Advertisement

Nearly 130,000 dead souls in the UK (may they RIP), a large proportion of the population running around half-vaccinated, and one of the worst hit economies on Earth from Brexit + COVID19, and this this is being sold as something the world is standing back and admiring...

Good grief, we are well-and-truly dealing with a very propagandised population in the UK.

547542.png

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

Sam McBride (editor of the newsletter) spells out why unionists are in quite evident trouble and so isolated.

https://twitter.com/SJAMcBride/status/1373188833076989959?s=19

This cheered up my Sunday morning.
    This is what Sinn Fein are saving ireland with lol “United ireland Easter eggs”.
    And I see he has downgraded his ambition to “uniting the people of ireland”. I am ok with that and support him 100%. Let’s start by sharing The vaccine and establish healthy respectful links.

The penny seems to have dropped at last that the old ambition of uniting Ireland into one country is unachievable and goes against the direction of most countries of allowing people to self determination and live as good neighbouring countries. Which allows for more united people accross international boundaries.

Let’s get the people united, and if republicans need to get together to eat united ireland Easter eggs made from milk from the banks of the Boyne, then thats good with me.

Bobby sands would be incredulous.

https://www.facebook.com/165088196843841/posts/4081652478520707/?vh=e&extid=0&d=n

McMurphy wrote: »
    Sam McBride (editor of the newsletter) spells out why unionists are in quite evident trouble and so isolated.

https://twitter.com/SJAMcBride/status/1373188833076989959?s=19

When did Sam become editor of the newsletter?
    I very much appreciate his critical inputs. He is doing wonders for unionism. Not scared to shine a light on what he sees wrong. He is a strong unionist and his writings come from the right place.

If there was a nationalist journalist with similar ability to critique nationalist thinking, it would be very helpful

This is an excellent piece you have posted. Why I can’t abide the DUP

The tragedy of N/Irish Unionism is that it gets more-and-more poisonous as it diminishes and thus accelerates its death-spiral.

It would be quite a spectacle to have a population of 30% of the North saying they will 'never accept a United Ireland' when it would be completely out of their hands.

547612.png

• Registered Users Posts: 3,598 ✭✭✭Fionn1952

downcow wrote: »
    When did Sam become editor of the newsletter?
    I very much appreciate his critical inputs. He is doing wonders for unionism. Not scared to shine a light on what he sees wrong. He is a strong unionist and his writings come from the right place.

If there was a nationalist journalist with similar ability to critique nationalist thinking, it would be very helpful

This is an excellent piece you have posted. Why I can’t abide the DUP

Sam is the Political Editor for the Newsletter, Downcow.

Despite my (regularly stated) views on The Newsletter as a publication, I'd have all the time in the world for Alex Kane and plenty of time for Sam too (even if I disagree with them both on quite a lot).

It is hard to think of a comparable Nationalist paper to The Newsletter. Realistically it would probably be something like the andytown news, with a similar circulation. It has certainly been critical of Nationalist strategy at times, but probably a bit too close to the party line regarding SF with Máirtín Ó Muilleoir at the helm.

Fionn1952 wrote: »
    Sam is the Political Editor for the Newsletter, Downcow.

The poster promoted him to newsletter editor. I was simply correcting that which I hope you feel is fair enough and that you realise that the sports editor, political editor, etc is very different from the newspaper editor

It would be quite a spectacle to have a population of 30% of the North saying they will 'never accept a United Ireland' when it would be completely out of their hands.

Oh the irony (I could use another word, but I am on best behaviour)

The irony of a republican saying the above. Is that not exactly what they have been saying for the last 100 years about NI remaining in UK ? Am I missing something here?

The Newsletter is the equivalent of An Poblacht.
    It's editor 'outed' a twitter user as a 'provo' recently and had to lay low for several days, not even sure he has surfaced yet.

It's also on it's uppers so shows how few actually read it and are as belligerent.

• Advertisement

The Newsletter is the equivalent of An Poblacht.
    It's editor 'outed' a twitter user as a 'provo' recently and had to lay low for several days, not even sure he has surfaced yet.

It's also on it's uppers so shows how few actually read it and are as belligerent.

The world has moved on. I personally never buy a newspaper but the newsletter is a unashamedly unionist institution. The oldest English speaking newspaper in the world.

Advertisement