Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How long before Irish reunification? (Part 2) Threadbans in OP

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,718 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    Another deflection as usual Francie.....:p

I would say I was surprised but it is nothing new......your little comment back fired and instead of admitting it, standard SF and point the finger:p:p

What backfired?

You are in a wee bubble of FF self righeousness there Shef, a UI isn't going away because you have managed to ferret a few quid away you don't want touched. ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,085 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

That obscure random blog 'Slugger O'Toole' has some more interesting Loyalist introspection today.
    https://sluggerotoole.com/2020/06/12/loyalism-the-enduring-perception-of-loss/

I can accept a lot of this, but I do think Loyalists still have a big swallow to make if they are ever to come to terms with what happened to them.

They need to accept and confront the fact that the statelet they created was wrong and could never be sustained. Then a lot of what happened will make sense to them.

You'll need a better and more robust "blog" than Slugger, Francie. :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,085 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

downcow wrote: »
    Do you not get it. Or are you trying to not get it.
    The history here means that things one community loves and cherishes have become a source of offence and antagonism to the other community.
    These include, Irish flags, union flags, gaa shirts, ni tops, Irish language signage, etc, etc.
    We need to learn to respect all of these and not be cleansing each area of the ones the majority don’t want.
    It’s going to take a very long time I fear

I don't get why you can't the answer six clear, concise and straightforward questions I posed to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,186 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

Do you not get it. Or are you trying to not get it.
    The history here means that things one community loves and cherishes have become a source of offence and antagonism to the other community.
    These include, Irish flags, union flags, gaa shirts, ni tops, Irish language signage, etc, etc.
    We need to learn to respect all of these and not be cleansing each area of the ones the majority don’t want.
    It’s going to take a very long time I fear

Or the new Linfield UVF top a team who plays at Windsor park the home of the north’s football team. Some things never change.

I was shocked you agreed with Francie, shocked.

What is rubbish, the start, middle and end is the bits I picked out

So no effort to counter it or any points raised?

At no point,did i say i agree with it?

Its very childish to label something rubbish and then refuse to outline why

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

So no effort to counter it or any points raised?

At no point,did i say i agree with it?

Its very childish to label something rubbish and then refuse to outline why

I think you will find the charter says I don’t have to counter rubbish posts.....yes just checked and Yes I don’t have to

Especially when it’s not even to the OP...

What backfired?

You are in a wee bubble of FF self righeousness there Shef, a UI isn't going away because you have managed to ferret a few quid away you don't want touched. ;)

If you can’t even follow your own posts then it’s a bit pointlesS isn’t it?

Did anyone say a UI is going away?

I would say I have managed to “ferret” a lot more than a few quid, most people do when they work for a living

I think you will find the charter says I don’t have to counter rubbish posts.....yes just checked and Yes I don’t have to

Especially when it’s not even to the OP...

Indeed

Though one would have to wonder is labeling all and sundry,who disagree with yous as rubbish,without stating why....count as civil??

Like your free to hold this view,im just enquiring as to what informs it?
    You seem unable/unwilling to provide direction to what supplements your opioion though,bit childish like,but thats ok too i guess

Indeed

Though one would have to wonder is labeling all and sundry,who disagree with yous as rubbish,without stating why....count as civil??

Like your free to hold this view,im just enquiring as to what informs it?
    You seem unable/unwilling to provide direction to what supplements your opioion though,bit childish like,but thats ok too i guess

Civil? I’m just repeating what you post every time you caught talking rubbish and lying

So you agree your uncivil by posting about the charter? Refusing to back up your posts?

Civil? I’m just repeating what you post every time you caught talking rubbish and lying

So you agree your uncivil by posting about the charter? Refusing to back up your posts?

Hmm....for civil i was referencing calling posts rubbish without any reason

Chill out,read the posts and stop flying off the handle....you have misread my post

I have always given very specific guidelines and min of 2,if not 3 points to make google easy,ive no interest in spoonfeeding info to people.....(even in some instances a direct quote from an article to copy and paste)

whereas yous have proclaimed entire posts as rubbish,without even a hint of an explaination (like your free to do so and imagine them the same...but just seems like your trying to shut down debate tbh on points raised)

• Advertisement

If you can’t even follow your own posts then it’s a bit pointlesS isn’t it?

Did anyone say a UI is going away?

I would say I have managed to “ferret” a lot more than a few quid, most people do when they work for a living

Well, actually, no they don't. That's one of the reasons why the power swap has fallen to it's lowest share of the vote ever. Because even the working man and woman cannot get ahead in this country due to inequities and FF/FG's insistence that the less well of pay for the foibles, mistakes and downright crimes of others.

And the point was you belligerently want a UI to go away - hence you find yourself in alliance with belligerent unionists/loyalists. Good luck with that. I wonder will Michael Martin do the same, come the time.

Well, actually, no they don't. That's one of the reasons why the power swap has fallen to it's lowest share of the vote ever. Because even the working man and woman cannot get ahead in this country due to inequities and FF/FG's insistence that the less well of pay for the foibles, mistakes and downright crimes of others.

And the point was you belligerently want a UI to go away - hence you find yourself in alliance with belligerent unionists/loyalists. Good luck with that. I wonder will Michael Martin do the same, come the time.

I know hundreds of working men and women who have got ahead in this country. Every day people are doing it.

No party in government is going to be able to help the waster

As I posted above, the good people of Northern Ireland come down in their thousands to benefit from the Ff and FG Ireland

• Registered Users Posts: 11,628 ✭✭✭✭downcow

I don't get why you can't the answer six clear, concise and straightforward questions I posed to you.

Bonnie
    I would not call the questions straightforward or concise, but I am prepared to take them at face value and assume you genuinely want an answer, so I will make the effort

I know hundreds of working men and women who have got ahead in this country. Every day people are doing it.

No party in government is going to be able to help the waster

As I posted above, the good people of Northern Ireland come down in their thousands to benefit from the Ff and FG Ireland

And you are too selfish to see that with investment and effort everybody can share in the created wealth of the island.

It is not too long ago that the good people of the south had to leave this country (run by the good people of FG and FF) in their hundred's of thousands just to survive.

Right? Why would an ILA give anyone a right to "antagonise you?

What does the ILA change that will allow such behaviour?

Why do you expect antagonism?

Do you think that Irish Language enthusiasts will try to exact revenge for the sectarianism that the Northern statelet imposed upon Nationalists?

If so why do you think that? What evidence have you that that's a likely scenario?

Why would an ILA give anyone a right to "antagonise you?
    I understand that there are a small number of people in Northern Ireland who love and cherish the Irish language. Unfortunately for those people the IRA, Sinn Fein, and their many offshoots and splinters have positioned Irish language in unfortunate win/loose situation. They have used to try and dominate my community, painting it in secretary graffiti on our community centres, churches and Orange halls. They have made statements like ‘every Irish language word spoken is bullet in the struggle’. They tell us privately that the ‘Commissioner’ will be the key and they will push and push until they have it everywhere. This has nothing to do with minority languages, because they freely admit that they want it to take supremacy over all the languages that are spoken daily by significant numbers in Northern Ireland e.g. Chinese, Polish, Spanish, etc, and often the speakers do not have the luxury of understanding English.
    Unfortunately it has became a sectarian/political symbol (it absolutely does not need to be and I look forward to day when we have worked together to remove this blight from it).
    So clearly, for a significant number of Republicans, it will be used to antagonise the unionist community try and get one over on them.
    I am not sure how to spell it out any better for you. but with the current feelings towards Republicans pushing it, the Irish roadsides would mean exactly the same to most Unionists as putting a little union flag in the corner of every road sign would mean to nationalists - simply intolerable and will be destroyed wherever it appears in a Unionist area.

What does the ILA change that will allow such behaviour?
    I think the most important thing to change is for Sinn Fein to recognise and accept that the unionist culture and identity is equal in value to the nationalist/Irish culture and identity. Therefore what we need is a cultural/identity Act. That recognises the value and encourages respect for all cultures and identities here - this needs to include the identities of the many newcomers and how they interface with this society.

Why do you expect antagonism?
    Simply because my interaction with Irish language has almost always been antagonistic. Not always, but almost always. And I don’t need to repeat what is above

Do you think that Irish Language enthusiasts will try to exact revenge for the sectarianism that the Northern statelet imposed upon Nationalists?
    Absolutely not. My experience of genuine Irish language enthusiasts is that they are good people, and their only agenda is their love for Irish language and culture. If they have a weakness it is often that they are fairly blind to how their interest/hobby is perceived by many (this perception is no fault of theirs).

If so why do you think that? What evidence have you that that's a likely scenario?
    This question is not applicable as I have explained I do not think that

• Registered Users Posts: 859 ✭✭✭Randy Archer

****only got real when the violence spilled over to here?

Yeh, Randy...not everyone has the disconnect you have. That is why a UI is not going away.

Go find the line , in full, to support that bull**** . Pathetic distortion . It was clearly pointed out to you, that the Boundary Commission settled it . The majority in the six counties wanted nothing to do with the South for several obvious reasons. Pity armchair generals like you in the entire Province of Ulster didn’t get the finger out and get out from under the bed between 1919-1922.

Interesting you have nothing to say nor do you defend yourself with regard to your social class and the complete lack of say or contribution to the economy you ever had or will have the future

Go back to picking mushrooms

Go find the line , in full, to support that bull**** . Pathetic distortion . It was clearly pointed out to you, that the Boundary Commission settled it . The majority in the six counties wanted nothing to do with the South for several obvious reasons. Pity armchair generals like you in the entire Province of Ulster didn’t get the finger out and get out from under the bed between 1919-1922.

Interesting you have nothing to say nor do you defend yourself with regard to your social class and the complete lack of say or contribution to the economy you ever had or will have the future

Go back to picking mushrooms

What? :)

Your objections to a UI are based on 'I'm alright Jack' to hell with anyone else's aspirations or life.

There is no denying that FG and FF systemically ignored what was happening Irish people in the north. They got enough keys to the kingdom and they sat back..to hell with anyone else, I'm alright Jack.

Northerners of both communities have next to zero in common with most southerners . Many of they have more in common with Glasgow than they do with Cork or Dublin

“I’m all right jack “ lol ! , ya, multiple recessions, mass emigration until the 1990s . What did you expect the State to do about the North bar run to the ECJ and UN . Fight with sticks and stone ? Why didn’t you not go all GI Joe back in the day ? Waffler !

When you stand and support paramilitaries that refused to recognise this State snd its organs , well, frankly, the public down here will tell ye to jog on .

The region , is a basket case ; sectarianism still divides the place and it offers sfa economic assets to either the U.K. or a Ireland , bit like the **** holes that are Monaghan , Cavan and Donegal. Whitney chip on shoulder Nordies. There was nothing stopping so called Irish men and women to move down South

Hilarious for typical Shinner’s whinge “I’m all right jack” when they haven’t done a days work in years and prefer the dole

What? :)

You really are pathetic. You don’t even mask your stupidity anymore. Waffler . Do yourself a favour Francie, go out and get a job, you bum. It can’t be healthy being clued to this site, and in particular SF related threads 20 hours a day 7 days a week

Northerners of both communities have next to zero in common with most southerners . Many of they have more in common with Glasgow than they do with Cork or Dublin

I'm flabberghasted that anyone could utter such a comment after the last 5 years.
    Have you no filter that you would not have had a think before committing something like that to type?
    We are completely linked through economic, societal and health structures be we catholic, protestant's, orange green or purple.
    “I’m all right jack “ lol ! , ya, multiple recessions, mass emigration until the 1990s . What did you expect the State to do about the North bar run to the ECJ and UN . Fight with sticks and stone ? Why didn’t you not go all GI Joe back in the day ? Waffler !

When you stand and support paramilitaries that refused to recognise this State snd its organs , well, frankly, the public down here will tell ye to jog on .

The region , is a basket case ; sectarianism still divides the place and it offers sfa economic assets to either the U.K. or a Ireland , bit like the **** holes that are Monaghan , Cavan and Donegal. Whitney chip on shoulder Nordies. There was nothing stopping so called Irish men and women to move down South

Hilarious for typical Shinner’s whinge “I’m all right jack” when they haven’t done a days work in years and prefer the dole

The rest of this is just unfiltered bile. Not worth comment tbh

• Advertisement

You really are pathetic. You don’t even mask your stupidity anymore. Waffler . Do yourself a favour Francie, go out and get a job, you bum. It can’t be healthy being clued to this site, and in particular SF related threads 20 hours a day 7 days a week

You don't have clue about me or my life.

Just spitting out hate for some reason. Take it easy Randy.

I'm flabberghasted that anyone could utter such a comment after the last 5 years.
    Have you no filter that you would not have had a think before committing something like that to type?
    We are completely linked through economic, societal and health structures be we catholic, protestant's, orange green or purple.

The rest of this is just unfiltered bile. Not worth comment tbh

Not worth commenting because it’s true

Like all the other Shinners ,ye are mouth piece bar stool wafflers , who go into victim mode when facts are pointed out to you.

Don’t worry, ye ****ers will take a right good hammering in the next election .

Last five years ? Lol !

What ? Shinners could not and would not talk and deal with DUP to re open Stormont . Or Shinners ruling Dublin City Hall during the housing crisis but doing **** all ? The Dubs remembered that and sent Shinners packing , as they did all over the country in the locals

Down here, people like me were too busy successfully recovering from the last recession, while you and many of your comrades sat on their hole . Why bother contribute when ye clowns can sit on a ditch ?

Filter ? Lol. You are a pure waffler and it’s plan for anyone to see. You talk utter rubbish about the economy, history, law and politics. Native stuff . Deluded . You have zero qualifications or credibility to talk ! Zero

In the real world, people like you get laughed at to your face and with ease talk you down. Here, you have to feel important ,writing up literally 20 odd hours a day 7 days a week. Like your pal runaway and bad , you leg it when you get cornered for your waffling .

Go get a job , do ya the world of good . You won’t talk such bollox

You clearly haven’t a clue as to what people of the west, South ,east or midlands think of the North. We don’t give two fiddlers for ye Nordies for reasons already pointed out

Religion ? Lol !!! Oh dear . Clearly not ! The auld Catholicism ain’t too popular around here now a days. Interesting, it’s often Nordies coming down here on behalf of Catholic matters trying to lecture us .

Societal ? Lol. There are thousands of Southerners who never set foot in Northern Ireland, even when you include driving through to get to Donegal from Dublin. There’d be a few more who wouldn’t be that arsed going up either ,even for cheap tins of Tennants

Economics . LOL, our retail sector and a previous Taoiseach complained about “wearing the green jersey” about lads driving up to Newry n Strabane for cheaper shopping .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,655 ✭✭✭✭Tokyo

Mod: Forum banned for the next week. Permanently threadbanned from here upon return.

And you are too selfish to see that with investment and effort everybody can share in the created wealth of the island.

It is not too long ago that the good people of the south had to leave this country (run by the good people of FG and FF) in their hundred's of thousands just to survive.

Always turn it personal Francie .....

We had a few bad years, but turned it around again

How many bad years have the North had because of the likes of SF? Also with no sign of it ever getting better

You can go in circles all you want, this is a thread about the North and for all your complaining about FF and FG they have made a country that huge sections of the North work in and live in because they can get away from parties like SF. How many young people from the North move to UK as well to get away?

How many bad years have the North had because of the likes of SF? Also with no sign of it ever getting better

You can go in circles all you want, this is a thread about the North and for all your complaining about FF and FG they have made a country that huge sections of the North work in and live in because they can get away from parties like SF. How many young people from the North move to UK as well to get away?

That is a completely unreasonable point of view. People migrate for work. Why you would extrapolate from that that they are doing it to get away from a single party shows how unreasonable you are.

You ignore that they go back to the north and vote for the same SF. And not all of the people migrating are even nationalist either.

Think about what you are saying, it makes no sense unless it is hatespeak, in which case it makes perfect familiar sense.

This is a great question. We get bombarded with the roi ‘is perfect’. Look how many people are working in roi from that black hole in the north (mind you I hear an awful lot of southern brogues day and daily here).
    I wonder are there stats on how many move out of ni but stay with in our nation of uk. Really interesting question. I am guessing the numbers moving to roi pale into insignificance with the numbers from ni moving within the uk. ....and I would never claim that this is because the other three countries in uk ‘are perfect’.

Or the new Linfield UVF top a team who plays at Windsor park the home of the north’s football team. Some things never change.

Here is what my local councillor has just posted on this issue. A great guy who is doing his very best in this sf dominated constituency I live in.

“ The hypocrisy and public hysteria over the new Linfield top is laughable, but sinister as it exposes the underlying distaste for Unionism. The opportunistic chance to batter a football club, linking it to paramilitaries, dragging it through the gutter stinks of bandwagon politics. The idiotic
    ramblings from some quarters of nationalism / media & left wing politicians is actually surprising...

The GAA as a sporting organisation need to focus on housekeeping, I’m not attacking them or engaging in whataboutry but there are no football grounds named after terrorists, no cup challenges dedicated to killers and the Irish league have done a lot to stamp out sectarianism.

I’m a Portadown man..... I’d never be seen in a Linfield top (Cos let’s face it ... Upa Porty Down) but this is getting ridiculous... it’s silly verging on childish... that’s what’s wrong with this bloody country, too much focus on trivial nonsense... build a bridge get over it..... it’s a football top... the UVF haven’t a copy right on purple and orange, put your big boy pants on and get a box of tissues to wipe your tears.”

Ps the gaa/republican nice people who have raised this have guaranteed that infield shirt sales will go through the roof. Can they not see this through their bigotry

Edit. And some wonderful responseS lol. Pictures of stephen farry alliance receiving his degree in a gown of exactly same colours as well as points about the Glens wearing the Palestinian colours ....and it goes on and on. lol. You need to grow up munstrrlegend

• Registered Users Posts: 6,186 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

Here is what my local councillor has just posted on this issue. A great guy who is doing his very best in this sf dominated constituency I live in.

“ The hypocrisy and public hysteria over the new Linfield top is laughable, but sinister as it exposes the underlying distaste for Unionism. The opportunistic chance to batter a football club, linking it to paramilitaries, dragging it through the gutter stinks of bandwagon politics. The idiotic
    ramblings from some quarters of nationalism / media & left wing politicians is actually surprising...

The GAA as a sporting organisation need to focus on housekeeping, I’m not attacking them or engaging in whataboutry but there are no football grounds named after terrorists, no cup challenges dedicated to killers and the Irish league have done a lot to stamp out sectarianism.

I’m a Portadown man..... I’d never be seen in a Linfield top (Cos let’s face it ... Upa Porty Down) but this is getting ridiculous... it’s silly verging on childish... that’s what’s wrong with this bloody country, too much focus on trivial nonsense... build a bridge get over it..... it’s a football top... the UVF haven’t a copy right on purple and orange, put your big boy pants on and get a box of tissues to wipe your tears.”

Ps the gaa/republican nice people who have raised this have guaranteed that infield shirt sales will go through the roof. Can they not see this through their bigotry

Edit. And some wonderful responseS lol. Pictures of stephen farry alliance receiving his degree in a gown of exactly same colours as well as points about the Glens wearing the Palestinian colours ....and it goes on and on. lol. You need to grow up munstrrlegend

Are you for real? A football club and ground synonymous with sectarianism produces a jersey with an orange sash on it and colours used on all UVF banners. Whoever commissioned the jersey is either brain dead or wants to provoke a reaction and sell jerseys.

One actually forgets how backward the ifa is and linfield. Won’t even play a match on a Sunday or would the international team. Some laugh.

Are you for real? A football club and ground synonymous with sectarianism produces a jersey with an orange sash on it and colours used on all UVF banners. Whoever commissioned the jersey is either brain dead or wants to provoke a reaction and sell jerseys.

One actually forgets how backward the ifa is and linfield. Won’t even play a match on a Sunday or would the international team. Some laugh.

More untruths. I have attended several ni international matches on a Sunday. Or maybe you will tell me I am dreaming.

Which is it? A sash or a Uvf shirt. Make up your mind.

The sash across a sports jersey is used by teams across the world (all honouring the orange order lol). Have a look how many gaa shirts have copied same design from football.

• Advertisement

More untruths. I have attended several ni international matches on a Sunday. Or maybe you will tell me I am dreaming.

Which is it? A sash or a Uvf shirt. Make up your mind.

The sash across a sports jersey is used by teams across the world (all honouring the orange order lol). Have a look how many gaa shirts have copied same design from football.

downcow, stop digging on this one. An orange sash? Are you having a laugh?

Advertisement