Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How long before Irish reunification? (Part 2) Threadbans in OP

Options

Comments

downcow wrote: »
    Could it just be Francie that they read the fashion stuff. Here’s an example.
    “Orange and purple are not contrasting colors; they are analogous colors, because they are close together on the color wheel. They make quite a modern-chic combination in an outfit.”

But no. Francie knows they set out to offend all their catholic players. The idea is simply nuts. And to suggest that a design many teams use across the world, of a diagonal strip is supposed to mimic an orange sash - but only when infield wear it. LOL
    . I see even the rep of ire had a shirt with the very same diagonal strip design. Were they mimicking a sash. Really this is scrapping the barrel

I think to paraphrase the HET in relation to murder of aiden mcenspie

Their version of events is so unlikely,it can be discounted

For a lad,claims to hold no truck with loyalist paramiltaries,you seem quite willing to try have people disbelieve what they see with their own eyes here

**it should be said,i have no issue with the jersey btw,fits their support base quite well and likely be a good seller.....but anyone who honestly believes this to been a coincidence,can PM me,as i have some magic beans to sell

• Registered Users Posts: 69,156 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    People who want to be offended will find something to be offended about....

It’s petty, Linfield could wear any colour under the sun and some people will link it to someone

Same as some teams associated with catholic willl do something and someone else will be offended

As I said, pages and pages on here about a United Ireland. The Good Friday says the people of Ireland must agree to a United Ireland, at the moment the most vocal for a UI are more interested in bickering over petty things

Sure downcow..you tell us the IFA are working hard at this stuff and nobody in the Linfield boardroom batted an eyelid when the designer said 'I want to put an orange sash on the jersey'?

Sure...the other one has bells on it. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,621 ✭✭✭Fionn1952

The Linfield kit lark is even more unlikely to be coincidental than the loaf of Kingsmill bread on Barry McElduff's head...I can't help but notice that Downcow was much less willing to give him the benefit of the doubt.

Before the equivocation and finger pointing sets in, I think that both were insensitive at best and downright repulsive at worst.

Fionn1952 wrote: »
    The Linfield kit lark is even more unlikely to be coincidental than the loaf of Kingsmill bread on Barry McElduff's head...I can't help but notice that Downcow was much less willing to give him the benefit of the doubt.

Before the equivocation and finger pointing sets in, I think that both were insensitive at best and downright repulsive at worst.

The significant difference being that McElduff had no history of hurtful sectarian taunting and certainly never antagonised the victims of Kingsmill.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,621 ✭✭✭Fionn1952

The significant difference being that McElduff had no history of hurtful sectarian taunting and certainly never antagonised the victims of Kingsmill.

With McElduff, I'd be of the opinion that if he was idiotic enough to not mean it, that would almost make it worse.

The key thing though, is from the PUL side of the coin, Barry is a representative of SF. From their perspective, SF DO have a track record of antagonising them. The organisation rather than the individual. In the case of Linfield, no one is discussing the individual kit designer (who may have no record of antagonising the CNR community), but rather the organisation, who do.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

No but it’s just another in a long long long list of SF and it representatives doing exactly that

They would be better off trying to concentrate on helping the people of the North instead of f**king around and trying to antagonise every person they class as a “enemy”

It again reinforces the point SF are a rabble and nobody should look at them if they want a United Ireland

• Registered Users Posts: 11,626 ✭✭✭✭downcow

Folks I have no deep knowledge of linfield. I have been to one game in my life and that’s because George best was on the opposing team.
    I think it’s laughable that you are expecting me to believe that the board sat down and said ‘let’s design a shirt in the colours of the Uvf’ If I am wrong I’ll be first to admit it.
    Some great plan involving the fans, the board (were the catholic players in on it as well? )
    If it was designed to honour Uvf it was plainly wrong. But I do not accept it was. Where does this stop. Should the gaa stop using green white and orange together because of the chill factor to unionists
    Who owns these colours? Do the Dublin ira or the Dublin gaa own the light blue they use? (Serious question). Should Dublin gaa stop using it because Dublin ira use it?
    I haven’t heard discussions of - let’s rebrand our local gaa as we are using the same colours as the local ira unit.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,551 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

She’s starting to spin out of control.................time maybe......

• Registered Users Posts: 6,186 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

Folks I have no deep knowledge of linfield. I have been to one game in my life and that’s because George best was on the opposing team.
    I think it’s laughable that you are expecting me to believe that the board sat down and said ‘let’s design a shirt in the colours of the Uvf’ If I am wrong I’ll be first to admit it.
    Some great plan involving the fans, the board (were the catholic players in on it as well? )
    If it was designed to honour Uvf it was plainly wrong. But I do not accept it was. Where does this stop. Should the gaa stop using green white and orange together because of the chill factor to unionists
    Who owns these colours? Do the Dublin ira or the Dublin has own the light blue they use? (Serious question). Should Dublin gaa stop using it because Dublin ira use it?

You are laughable in your replies. Who refuses to play for or support the Republic of Ireland soccer team in the 26 counties? No one. Linfield a club long associated with sectarianism decides its a good idea to wear a jersey with an orange sash on it. They also play in the ground of an international team where a lot of its citizens prefer to support another international team and even play for it.

As others have said Linfield can wear whatever colour they want but it just sums up the tone deaf attitude to creating a team for all up there in Windsor park never mind the anthem issues which the IFA could change in the morning.

You are laughable in your replies. Who refuses to play for or support the Republic of Ireland soccer team in the 26 counties? No one. Linfield a club long associated with sectarianism decides its a good idea to wear a jersey with an orange sash on it. They also play in the ground of an international team where a lot of its citizens prefer to support another international team and even play for it.

As others have said Linfield can wear whatever colour they want but it just sums up the tone deaf attitude to creating a team for all up there in Windsor park never mind the anthem issues which the IFA could change in the morning.

I have said many times that I would not only want to see the anthem changed but have worked hard to see that happen. We were nearly there 15 years ago. Fans polls had been held and there was very strong support for Northern Ireland specific anthem to be played - main reason to be supportive of our very mixed team. Unfortunately a number of nationalist politicians scuppered the whole thing by coming out publicly and demanding a change. Very sad that the IFA and some fans were swayed by this. We should have stood strong on our own decision.

But in the same way as you point out that the IFA could change the anthem in the morning - so could the IRFU and I don't even hear them discussing the issue

• Advertisement

Munsterlegend. I could take you much more serious if you had the balls to come on and say 'I was wrong, I did not realise that the Northern Ireland team played on sundays’

Munsterlegend. I could take you much more serious if you had the balls to come on and say 'I was wrong, I did not realise that the Northern Ireland team played, something'

Are there ifa league games played on a Sunday? Yes/no?

Technically they can but IFA don’t fix matches for Sunday as don’t want to offend their Protestant base. Sums up soccer up there. Of course had to be dragged all the way to Europe not so long ago to ensure matches could be played on a Sunday like the rest of Europe. It’s clear the IFA represent one community only.

I have said many times that I would not only want to see the anthem changed but have worked hard to see that happen. We were nearly there 15 years ago. Fans polls had been held and there was very strong support for Northern Ireland specific anthem to be played - main reason to be supportive of our very mixed team. Unfortunately a number of nationalist politicians scuppered the whole thing by coming out publicly and demanding a change. Very sad that the IFA and some fans were swayed by this. We should have stood strong on our own decision.

But in the same way as you point out that the IFA could change the anthem in the morning - so could the IRFU and I don't even hear them discussing the issue

So it is 'nationalists' fault that you have dug your heels in more Never Never Never bull*** and also the IRFU is now an excuse?

:)

Deflection as always from the linfield issue. So Nationalist politicians have the nerve to seek change? How dare they! Who is refusing to play for the Irish rugby team and play for another international team? Who in Ireland supports another national rugby team against their own team?

Are there ifa league games played on a Sunday? Yes/no?

Technically they can but IFA don’t fix matches for Sunday as don’t want to offend their Protestant base. Sums up soccer up there. Of course had to be dragged all the way to Europe not so long ago to ensure matches could be played on a Sunday like the rest of Europe. It’s clear the IFA represent one community only.

Try saying ‘I was wrong, ni matches do play on a Sunday’

So it is 'nationalists' fault that you have dug your heels in more Never Never Never bull*** and also the IRFU is now an excuse?

:)

Not at all. I said clearly that I wish our fans could all have ignored the windup merchants but unfortunately we have a bit of maturing to do as well.
    Irfu is no excuse and certainly no example to follow in inclusivity

Not wrong at all. Your IFA do everything to make sure matches not played on a Sunday at domestic and international level. Such a sad state of affairs to keep the sectarian core happy.

Not at all. I said clearly that I wish our fans could all have ignored the windup merchants but unfortunately we have a bit of maturing to do as well.

Which is all well and good and all, if it wasn't for the fact that you personally have dug your heels in on an ILA for fear of being 'wound up'.

I suspect you adopt these arbitrary and contradictory positions to portray yourself as a moderate.

Deflection as always from the linfield issue. So Nationalist politicians have the nerve to seek change? How dare they! Who is refusing to play for the Irish rugby team and play for another international team? Who in Ireland supports another national rugby team against their own team?

If you are serious then that is a pretty niave comment.
    Step outside the rugby playing grammar school boys and you will find little interest in the ireland rugby team.
    I have often sat down in an attempt to watch and try and support the ireland team, but by the time we have got past the anthems etc, I have changed my position to hoping they get their asses kicked (but ironically that the Ulster boys do well)
    Tbh it has helped my drive for a change in anthem at ni matches because I can only assume nationalists have the same struggle as they watch catholic players silent during gstq
    At least our Protestant players look a little embarrassed and don’t sing it with gusto. Most ireland players haven’t even the understanding to be embarrassed for their teammates

Which is all well and good and all, if it wasn't for the fact that you personally have dug your heels in on an ILA for fear of being 'wound up'.

I suspect you adopt these arbitrary and contradictory positions to portray yourself as a moderate.

My life is full of contradictions. Oh to be black and white like you and everything simple and fitting in its little box.

But yes a great example. Irish road signage in unionist areas has strong comparison with gstq being played at ni matches. Although I am not conflicted on these. I would stop both

• Advertisement

If you are serious then that is a pretty niave comment.
    Step outside the rugby playing grammar school boys and you will find little interest in the ireland rugby team.
    I have often sat down in an attempt to watch and try and support the ireland team, but by the time we have got past the anthems etc, I have changed my position to hoping they get their asses kicked (but ironically that the Ulster boys do well)
    Tbh it has helped my drive for a change in anthem at ni matches because I can only assume nationalists have the same struggle as they watch catholic players silent during gstq
    At least our Protestant players look a little embarrassed and don’t sing it with gusto. Most ireland players haven’t even the understanding to be embarrassed for their teammates

Of course you would minimise anything all island. Let’s face it loyalists have been taught to hate everything Irish or all island and coupled with a terrible educational record it’s hardly surprising such hatred exists.

Why would they sing it with gusto? It’s not the north’s anthem just something imposed to keep the hardcore happy. We are proud of our anthem and hence our players sing it with pride.

My life is full of contradictions. Oh to be black and white like you and everything simple and fitting in its little box.

But yes a great example. Irish road signage in unionist areas has strong comparison with gstq being played at ni matches. Although I am not conflicted on these. I would stop both

'Consistency' is the word you are looking for and the attribute you are missing downcow.

As far as I am aware, 'Unionism' does not 'own' areas of Ireland.

Of course you would minimise anything all island. Let’s face it loyalists have been taught to hate everything Irish or all island and coupled with a terrible educational record it’s hardly surprising such hatred exists.

Why would they sing it with gusto? It’s not the north’s anthem just something imposed to keep the hardcore happy. We are proud of our anthem and hence our players sing it with pride.

I think the mask has now slipped Munsterlegend. So you do not regard Best, Trimble, Gilroy, etc as "our players"

And your comments about being taught to hate everything Irish are not even worth a response

'Consistency' is the word you are looking for and the attribute you are missing downcow.

Francie I have learnt with you that when you know you have lost an argument you start getting pedantic over wording used. Let's put it another way for you, Irish signage where many of the population feel its purpose is to be triumphalist, has a great similarity with how nationalists feel when GSTQ is played at Northern Ireland matches - or for that matter, when the anthem of the 26 counties is played at 32 county matches

Francie, maybe you could watch this one-minute video. I think it may be a help to you. I'm not sure if there is even any point in Munsterlegend watching it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qaHLd8de6nM

Oh I wish it was all a simple as you try portray it

Francie I have learnt with you that when you know you have lost an argument you start getting pedantic over wording used. Let's put it another way for you, Irish signage where many of the population feel its purpose is to be triumphalist, has a great similarity with how nationalists feel when GSTQ is played at Northern Ireland matches - or for that matter, when the anthem of the 26 counties is played at 32 county matches

Let me rephrase that to be consistent.

'We won't allow the anthem to be changed because some people might make fun of us and we won't allow sight nor sign of the Irish language for the exact same reason'.

Never Never Never culture in a nutshell.

Let me rephrase that to be consistent.

We won't allow the anthem to be changed because some people might make fun of us and we won't allow sight nor sign of the irish language for the exact same reason.

Never Never Never culture in a nutshell.

So what is your policy Mr black and white? Would you just allow everything i.e. Irish language everywhere, flags either nationalist or Unionist everywhere, band parades everywhere, etc.

You should have maybe watched the little video before posting that

....... and I do not think that is a good enough reason that you have not changing the anthem at IRFU matches

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

That will never happen on boards....majority of poster refuse to admit they are wrong and just bury head in sand deeper and then insult the person that caught them out...for evidence look at the regular posters here

So what is your policy Mr black and white? Would you just allow everything i.e. Irish language everywhere, flags either nationalist or Unionist everywhere, band parades everywhere, etc.

You should have maybe watched the little video before posting that

I don't have a problem with the expression of anyone's identity downcow.
    As long as you don't do it to taunt or demean.

As shown in Fermanagh and Tyrone...nobody is getting twisted out of shape by inanimate signs in both languages on the roadside or on streets.

You are that insecure, you would. We get it.

• Advertisement

I don't have a problem with the expression of anyone's identity downcow.
    As long as you don't do it to taunt or demean.

As shown in Fermanagh and Tyrone...nobody is getting twisted out of shape by inanimate signs in both languages on the roadside or on streets.

You are that insecure, you would. We get it.

Francie, if you quote a post, and there are questions in it, then it would seem rational to answer those questions

Advertisement