Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How long before Irish reunification? (Part 2) Threadbans in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,626 ✭✭✭✭downcow

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    That will never happen on boards....majority of poster refuse to admit they are wrong and just bury head in sand deeper and then insult the person that caught them out...for evidence look at the regular posters here

I agree, it is a problem. But I have dm'd and a poster as requested, who says he can supply me with 'gems' that will prove that Linfield board and fans chose these colours specifically because they were in some UVF flags.
    If he supplies me with these 'gems' I commit to come straight onto the board, eat humble pie and admit I was wrong.

We will see what happens - and indeed I will go further and say that Linfield board their fans have acted inappropriately and in a sectarian manner

• Registered Users Posts: 6,186 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

downcow wrote: »
    I think the mask has now slipped Munsterlegend. So you do not regard Best, Trimble, Gilroy, etc as "our players"

And your comments about being taught to hate everything Irish are not even worth a response

Not worth a response as it’s the truth. Tricolours burned and cheered every year by everyone in attendance. Lack of educational opportunities leads to such ignorance. Loyalist areas have been made fools of by their elected representatives.

• Registered Users Posts: 69,156 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Francie, if you quote a post, and there are questions in it, then it would seem rational to answer those questions

Which bit of ' I dont have a problem with anyone expressing their identify as long as it is not done to taunt or demean' did you not understand as a 'policy'?

Typical of you to try now to suggest nobody is answering tou.

That will never happen on boards....majority of poster refuse to admit they are wrong and just bury head in sand deeper and then insult the person that caught them out...for evidence look at the regular posters here

But it’s not wrong. The IFA specifically avoid fixing matches for a Sunday and do the same for international matches. Downcow never addressed that point funnily enough and how many IFA matches are actually played on a Sunday in a season. Of course UEFA and FIFA and anyone with half a brain wouldn’t listen to such nonsense.

I think the mask has now slipped Munsterlegend. So you do not regard Best, Trimble, Gilroy, etc as "our players"

And your comments about being taught to hate everything Irish are not even worth a response

Best Trimble etc call themselves Irish rugby players. Best said he was extremely proud to pull on the Irish jersey. You have said you would shout against the team he captained. Such hatred and bitterness as your mask slips.

• Advertisement

Francie I have learnt with you that when you know you have lost an argument you start getting pedantic over wording used. Let's put it another way for you, Irish signage where many of the population feel its purpose is to be triumphalist, has a great similarity with how nationalists feel when GSTQ is played at Northern Ireland matches - or for that matter, when the anthem of the 26 counties is played at 32 county matches

An anthem which is basically an ode to the queen who is the head of the British armed forces is being compared with a spoken language Of the people used to communicate. I have heard it all.

Which bit of ' I dont have a problem with anyone expressing their identify as long as it is not done to taunt or demean' did you not understand as a 'policy'?

Typical of you to try now to suggest nobody is answering tou.

Well I suppose my issue is that it is nonsense. So it is okay to fly a Confederate flag in the United States as long as the objective is not to taunt or demean? We all watched dukes of hazard (for one tiny example) in pure innocence, but your policy would suggest that black people should just shut up and ignore it because it's not being done to taunt or demean.

Total nonsense of the first degree

Best Trimble etc call themselves Irish rugby players. Best said he was extremely proud to pull on the Irish jersey. You have said you would shout against the team he captained. Such hatred and bitterness as your mask slips.

Again you are not addressing the issue. You said that all 'our players' are happy to sing the national anthem at rugby matches.
    This is evidently untrue, unless you do not regard the players from Northern Ireland as 'our players', as is your last comment about Northern Ireland international matches not being on a Sunday

Try taking some responsibility for what you say and being prepared to have the balls sometimes to say 'I was wrong'

An anthem which is basically an ode to the queen who is the head of the British armed forces is being compared with a spoken language Of the people used to communicate. I have heard it all.

You need to direct that at Francie. It was not me raised this comparison

Well I suppose my issue is that it is nonsense. So it is okay to fly a Confederate flag in the United States as long as the objective is not to taunt or demean? We all watched dukes of hazard (for one tiny example) in pure innocence, but your policy would suggest that black people should just shut up and ignore it because it's not being done to taunt or demean.

Total nonsense of the first degree

You, YES you, have stated many times that the language is not something you hate.

The 'language' did not oppress you downcow...your equating it to the oppression of black people is just more of your warped sense of victimhood

• Advertisement

Again you are not addressing the issue. You said that all 'our players' are happy to sing the national anthem at rugby matches.
    This is evidently untrue, unless you do not regard the players from Northern Ireland as 'our players', as is your last comment about Northern Ireland international matches not being on a Sunday

Try taking some responsibility for what you say and being prepared to have the balls sometimes to say 'I was wrong'

There are two anthems played. One for Dublin the capital of the island and one for the northern representatives. All people on this island are our people Downcow. That you would should against a team with players from your own island who represent you is tragic.

IFA deliberately due to its Protestant fan base don’t fix games for a Sunday. True or False? Answers on a postcard Downcow.

There are two anthems played. One for Dublin the capital of the island and one for the northern representatives. All people on this island are our people Downcow. That you would should against a team with players from your own island who represent you is tragic.

IFA deliberately due to its Protestant fan base don’t fix games for a Sunday. True or False? Answers on a postcard Downcow.

The only reason they play on a Sunday is because the IFA shat in the bed when UEFA threatened disqualification.
    The history of this is funny to read, all the Never Never belligerents bellyaching about it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,397 ✭✭✭CBear1993

I think we should just forget about the “ruggers” and “saccer” fitba lads and focus on the GAA as the future sport. What’s not to love, amateurs going at the game hell for leather, the hurling and most of the time football provides edge of seat type action most days out, compared with rugby and soccer counterparts.
    Im joking, in all seriousness there seems to be a lot of jibes at each other in this country and divides between the 3 main sports, why can’t we appreciate each of them?

Granted there are people out there who say; support Republic / Dundalk, are a mad dub supporter maybe and also love the ireland rugby team - but would this not be fairly rare, a minority?

Look at the New Zealanders, rugby is in their blood and they are unreal at it 95% of the time. They have real pride in it. Albeit GAA is not an international tournament sport (yet).

GAA needs to be looked at or rebranded to be inclusive for all people on the island- multinationals who have moved here for a new life, just as much as Protestant / unionist associating people.

Although I must admit the latter is a massive challenge, and it is true that a lot of that sector of our society will never want to go near a GAA organization because of its ties to republicanism in the past and martyrs etc.

The “let’s go watch the goys in the aviva and have a few jars after, oirish oireland” type will never appeal to a lot of people either.

One thing the soccer has going for it is that when the republic make it to any sort of major tournament the majority of the country (with the exclusion of NI fans) are in soccer fever for the month of the tournament, even the most hardcore GAA/rugby fans are watching it out of the corner of their eye.

I couldn’t believe the amount of opposition their was to the Irish rugby team at the latest World Cup, it almost seemed like a lot of people wanted to see them beat.

NFL and basketball rules the states. I’m not informed enough to know- do they respect each other or do NFL loves play down basketball and vice versa?

Would be great if all 3 sports could be widely accepted more and engaged with by people from their respective sports.

CBear1993 wrote: »
    I think we should just forget about the “ruggers” and “saccer” fitba lads and focus on the GAA as the future sport. What’s not to love, amateurs going at the game hell for leather, the hurling and most of the time football provides edge of seat type action most days out, compared with rugby and soccer counterparts.
    Im joking, in all seriousness there seems to be a lot of jibes at each other in this country and divides between the 3 main sports, why can’t we appreciate each of them?

Granted there are people out there who say; support Republic / Dundalk, are a mad dub supporter maybe and also love the ireland rugby team - but would this not be fairly rare, a minority?

Look at the New Zealanders, rugby is in their blood and they are unreal at it 95% of the time. They have real pride in it. Albeit GAA is not an international tournament sport (yet).

GAA needs to be looked at or rebranded to be inclusive for all people on the island- multinationals who have moved here for a new life, just as much as Protestant / unionist associating people.

Although I must admit the latter is a massive challenge, and it is true that a lot of that sector of our society will never want to go near a GAA organization because of its ties to republicanism in the past and martyrs etc.

The “let’s go watch the goys in the aviva and have a few jars after, oirish oireland” type will never appeal to a lot of people either.

One thing the soccer has going for it is that when the republic make it to any sort of major tournament the majority of the country (with the exclusion of NI fans) are in soccer fever for the month of the tournament, even the most hardcore GAA/rugby fans are watching it out of the corner of their eye.

I couldn’t believe the amount of opposition their was to the Irish rugby team at the latest World Cup, it almost seemed like a lot of people wanted to see them beat.

NFL and basketball rules the states. I’m not informed enough to know- do they respect each other or do NFL loves play down basketball and vice versa?

Would be great if all 3 sports could be widely accepted more and engaged with by people from their respective sports.

In the republic I can’t think of a country who buys into its athletes and sports as much as we do. We support anyone who puts on the green jersey of their nation. It’s a great way to be free of any prejudices.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

In the republic I can’t think of a country who buys into its athletes and sports as much as we do. We support anyone who puts on the green jersey of their nation. It’s a great way to be free of any prejudices.

We don’t support them during training etc...everyone has no problem jumping on the bandwagon after the hard work is done

Ask someone to give extra 5 euro towards sports etc and see how patriotic they are then

We don’t support them during training etc...everyone has no problem jumping on the bandwagon after the hard work is done

Ask someone to give extra 5 euro towards sports etc and see how patriotic they are then

National lottery provide a lot of grants. Govt funding can be an issue and we pay enough in taxes.

The amount of fund raising by gaa clubs is phenomenal. Know of a number of small clubs who raised a hundreds of thousands from door to door collections to improve facilities.

Successive governments haven't you mean.

No bother to the likes of Charlie Haughey hotfooting it to Paris to share in the reflected glory of an Irish man winning the tour though. He got some derision heaped on him for that opportunistic stunt
    Athletes have ti fight tooth and nail to suceed here, but they do it anyhow...pride.

You, YES you, have stated many times that the language is not something you hate.

The 'language' did not oppress you downcow...your equating it to the oppression of black people is just more of your warped sense of victimhood

Francie, this is your tried and tested tactic of manipulating what people say, but I won't let you away with it.

Here is exactly what you said

"I don't have a problem with the expression of anyone's identity downcow.
    As long as you don't do it to taunt or demean"

I am simply holding you to account on and demonstrating that it is a nonsense policy. Basically anything goes as long as your intention is not to taunt or demean.
    So don't try and spin that to me equating Irish language with issues of race

So now you're telling me that two anthems are played, one for the Northern representatives and one for the south. I think you have lost the plot.
    That is what you said isn't it?

Francie, this is your tried and tested tactic of manipulating what people say, but I won't let you away with it.

Here is exactly what you said

"I don't have a problem with the expression of anyone's identity downcow.
    As long as you don't do it to taunt or demean"

I am simply holding you to account on and demonstrating that it is a nonsense policy. Basically anything goes as long as your intention is not to taunt or demean.
    So don't try and spin that to me equating Irish language with issues of race

The Confederacy itself is a taunt to black people not to even mention the flag.

There is NO comparison to a language...i.e. a bull**** juxtaposition.

I didn't say anything goes.

• Advertisement

I know a place. Northern Ireland

So now you're telling me that two anthems are played, one for the Northern representatives and one for the south. I think you have lost the plot.
    That is what you said isn't it?

Why dont you answer about the IFA specifically not fixing league games for a Sunday?

Both anthems are for all supporters. Ireland’s call is an anthem specifically designed for rugby. Despite how appalling a piece of music it is people buy into it given its purpose.

I know a place. Northern Ireland

Yeah some of the people even leave to play for another country. You won’t even shout for the islands rugby team which includes fellow citizens. Are you having a laugh?

Will you be shouting for any of your fellow northern
    Citizens in the Olympics who represent Ireland?

The Confederacy itself is a taunt to black people not to even mention the flag.

There is NO comparison to a language...i.e. a bull**** juxtaposition.

I didn't say anything goes.

An awful lot of people were warm to the Confederate flag through the dukes of hazard etc with absolutely no knowledge of how it demeaned black people, myself included. I even had the Dixie airhorns on my car as an 18-year-old.
    Your policy is quite clear. The fact that I meant absolutely no offence to anyone would mean that I could have continued unchallenged.

Just accept Francie that it is a nonsense policy. Whilst the intention makes it worse, not having the intention does not mean it should be accepted and ignored.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,050 ✭✭✭endainoz

Totally unrelated note here, I see met eireann are now including weather warnings for Northern Ireland. Just another small addition to the inevitability of reunification. :)

Why dont you answer about the IFA specifically not fixing league games for a Sunday?

Both anthems are for all supporters. Ireland’s call is an anthem specifically designed for rugby. Despite how appalling a piece of music it is people buy into it given its purpose.

You are jumping about all the place. You said something very different about who each anthem was for in your recent post.

Certainly I will address the issue of league games on a Sunday, but I certainly won't until you have accepted that you were wrong when you said Northern Ireland international's were not paid on a Sunday. Otherwise this is all pointless, if none of us can accept when we got it wrong learnt something

Yeah some of the people even leave to play for another country. You won’t even shout for the islands rugby team which includes fellow citizens. Are you having a laugh?

Are you referring to Jack Grealish or Declan Rice? They are slightly different cases

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,397 ✭✭✭CBear1993

Think he meant James McClean, Shane Duffy etc

Are you referring to Jack Grealish or Declan Rice? They are slightly different cases

Trust you to try and twist things. James mcclean Shane Duffy to name but a few but you knew that. Imagine not shouting for sports people born And raised where you are from who represent you, it’s not healthy downcow.

• Advertisement

CBear1993 wrote: »
    Think he meant James McClean, Shane Duffy etc

That was just to avoid the question. He does that a lot when narrative doesn’t suit.

Advertisement