Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How long before Irish reunification? (Part 2) Threadbans in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,626 ✭✭✭✭downcow

CBear1993 wrote: »
    Think he meant James McClean, Shane Duffy etc

OK, that makes sense, but I'm not really sure what this point is

Trust you to try and twist things. James mcclean Shane Duffy to name but a few but you knew that. Imagine not shouting for sports people born And raised where you are from who represent you, it’s not healthy downcow.

It is very difficult to discuss with you because you go off on these silly meanders.
    I do not see anything strange about me not shouting for James McClean. Nor do I find it strange if you decide not to shout for Declan Rice when he plays his next international. Indeed I would be surprised if either of these cases were any different
    I have no idea what point you're making

• Registered Users Posts: 6,186 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

downcow wrote: »
    OK, that makes sense, but I'm not really sure what this point is

The point is obvious. You said the north supports its sports people as much as the republic. I stated that some sports people who were born and raised in the north play for another country in football. You also stated you hope people from the north on the Irish rugby team lose their match. I presume this also applies to all Olympic athletes who represent Ireland?

It’s very sad that you wish your fellow northern citizens defeat.

It is very difficult to discuss with you because you go off on these silly meanders.
    I do not see anything strange about me not shouting for James McClean. Nor do I find it strange if you decide not to shout for Declan Rice when he plays his next international. Indeed I would be surprised if either of these cases were any different
    I have no idea what point you're making

Declan Rice was born and raised in London. I have no issue with him picking England as he lived his whole life there. Its just a red herring that you threw in to deflect.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,397 ✭✭✭CBear1993

Would you have been behind Martin O’Neill downcow?

Played for the north, proud coleraine man (involved with Eoghan rua GAA)
    And went on to manage the republic alongside Keano...

• Advertisement

He wants Players from A Protestants/unionist background who play rugby for Ireland to lose so I’d say Martin stands little chance of support in his republic role!

• Registered Users Posts: 69,156 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

An awful lot of people were warm to the Confederate flag through the dukes of hazard etc with absolutely no knowledge of how it demeaned black people, myself included. I even had the Dixie airhorns on my car as an 18-year-old.
    Your policy is quite clear. The fact that I meant absolutely no offence to anyone would mean that I could have continued unchallenged.

Just accept Francie that it is a nonsense policy. Whilst the intention makes it worse, not having the intention does not mean it should be accepted and ignored.

I have seen young fellas sport the swaztika too downcow.

If it is wrong, then it is wrong and taunting and demeaning and not the expression of an identity.

A British and Irish identity are legitimate identities and therefore should be allowed happen.

Unless you are comparing the British identity or Irish one to that of the Confederates or the Nazis?

Martin is loved by every Northern Ireland fan. Believe it or not I have just watched a rerun that BBC put on of the Northern Ireland v Spain game in the 1982 World Cup. He and all his teammates were oozing pride.

And yes the whole joke in Northern Ireland for several years was about 'Agent Martin' who we sent down to destroy the ROI team. And a good job he done.

Martin is a gentleman and will always be loved by the Northern Ireland fans

I have seen young fellas sport the swaztika too downcow.

If it is wrong, then it is wrong and taunting and demeaning and not the expression of an identity.

A British and Irish identity are legitimate identities and therefore should be allowed happen.

Unless you are comparing the British identity or Irish one to that of the Confederates or the Nazis?

Well I regularly hear many of your countrymen referred to the Orange order has the KKK

He wants Players from A Protestants/unionist background who play rugby for Ireland to lose so I’d say Martin stands little chance of support in his republic role!

Monsterlegend you just do not get. Do you?

Their background is absolutely irrelevant. What is relevant is if they play for the team I support.
    If it helps you get your head around it. I support Chelsea (loosely). If they were playing against a team who had a Northern Ireland player on the team, I would still want Chelsea to win, but I would want that player to have a great performance for the other team.
    Is that really so strange?

• Advertisement

Did you want to see Martin succeed as ROI manager though during his term?

Well I regularly hear many of your countrymen referred to the Orange order has the KKK

When it engages in bigotry and sectarianism, it is.

That has nothing to do with 'expression of identity'. It is an expression of outdated and criminal ideologies and dogma though.

The point is obvious. You said the north supports its sports people as much as the republic. I stated that some sports people who were born and raised in the north play for another country in football. You also stated you hope people from the north on the Irish rugby team lose their match. I presume this also applies to all Olympic athletes who represent Ireland?

It’s very sad that you wish your fellow northern citizens defeat.

The big news of today is that monsterlegend was not concentrating and minding his Ps & Qs. Oh Deary me, look what he just said when he was not concentrating.
    It has been laborious at times today but I am so pleased to see that he recognises that when people from my country play for the Republic of Ireland they are playing for 'another country'

Maybe we are not as far apart as I thought

Did you want to see Martin succeed as ROI manager though during his term?

It depends what you regard as success.
    Compared to, and alongside Roy Keane, he certainly demonstrated that he was the ultimate gentleman - success
    he did not poach our players even though some shadowy figures in the background tried to do their best - success

If you're asking did I want the team he was managing to have a fairly poor run, have their CEO demonstrate their sectarianism by singing IRA songs, have the Association get up to all sorts of dodgy doings, get into serious financial difficulty. Yes of course I did - success

Agent Martin done a great job and seems to have managed to get out with his personal reputation intact - who knows he may even be a Northern Ireland manager one day and achieve real success

Monsterlegend you just do not get. Do you?

Their background is absolutely irrelevant. What is relevant is if they play for the team I support.
    If it helps you get your head around it. I support Chelsea (loosely). If they were playing against a team who had a Northern Ireland player on the team, I would still want Chelsea to win, but I would want that player to have a great performance for the other team.
    Is that really so strange?

The team of this Island in rugby is Ireland. You want them to lose. They represent you whether you want to ignore that or not. Chelsea are based in London and no where near the north. The comparison is irrelevant.

You also by the same logic want all athletes from the north in the Olympics games who represent Ireland to fail.

It’s a very very small minded attitude.

We supported sports people such as Carl frampton Alex Higgins and Wayne McCullough and never batted an eyelid. I pity the toxicity that you can’t escape from.

When it engages in bigotry and sectarianism, it is.

That has nothing to do with 'expression of identity'. It is an expression of outdated and criminal ideologies and dogma though.

Your policy is collapsing!

Your policy is collapsing!

No it isn't.

Bigotry and sectarianism is NOT a legitimate expression of someone's identity no matter how much they might enjoy it or how much others might insist they be allowed to express it.

It is the stuff they need to leave behind in the past where it belongs.

The team of this Island in rugby is Ireland. You want them to lose. They represent you whether you want to ignore that or not. Chelsea are based in London and no where near the north. The comparison is irrelevant.

You also by the same logic want all athletes from the north in the Olympics games who represent Ireland to fail.

It’s a very very small minded attitude.

We supported sports people such as Carl frampton Alex Higgins and Wayne McCullough and never batted an eyelid. I pity the toxicity that you can’t escape from.

This is why I think you do not get it. You are not comparing like with like. I can absolutely see how someone who wants the island united will support Carl Frampton even though you live in the south.
    Asking me to support Roy Keane playing for Ireland is like asking you to support Wayne Rooney playing for England.
    You need to try and put yourself in the shoes of the majority in Northern Ireland (let's not even argue over whether factually correct or not) who regard Northern Ireland as a distinct country separate from ROI in the same way as ROI is separate from England.
    You may not like it, but that is what the vast majority believe. You want to sweep that aside and pretend we are all in the one country and that somehow Roy Keane is a fellow countryman mine

The big news of today is that monsterlegend was not concentrating and minding his Ps & Qs. Oh Deary me, look what he just said when he was not concentrating.
    It has been laborious at times today but I am so pleased to see that he recognises that when people from my country play for the Republic of Ireland they are playing for 'another country'

Maybe we are not as far apart as I thought

It’s a different jurisdiction. The country really is the U.K. of which the north is part of but FIFA/uefa given the traditions let 4 teams compete.

Of course you deliberately avoid having to admit that you would not support athletes from the north who represent Ireland in the Olympics.

No it isn't.

Bigotry and sectarianism is NOT a legitimate expression of someone's identity no matter how much they might enjoy it or how much others might insist they be allowed to express it.

It is the stuff they need to leave behind in the past where it belongs.

We are getting there slowly, but it is difficult.

You would then agree that a policy that states that it is okay to express your culture and identity, no matter how offends, is okay as long as you do not set out to offend, is not a great policy

• Advertisement

It’s a different jurisdiction. The country really is the U.K. of which the north is part of but FIFA/uefa given the traditions let 4 teams compete.

Of course you deliberately avoid having to admit that you would not support athletes from the north who represent Ireland in the Olympics.

I have not avoided anything. You are bombarding me with questions which seems par for the course on here, whilst not being prepared to answer any yourself.

But I will continue to try and have integrity and answer questions.
    Do I support northern athletes at the Olympics?
    Obviously I love to see the northern athletes compete for my own nation the UK.
    If they compete for Ireland I do like to see them do well, in the same way as I like to see Rory Best do well when he's playing for the Ireland team.
    It does all get a bit sore for me when they have to stand under a flag and anthem that are completely alien to me. But that is the unfortunate situation of living in a divided society.
    So a short answer is, yes

This is why I think you do not get it. You are not comparing like with like. I can absolutely see how someone who wants the island united will support Carl Frampton even though you live in the south.
    Asking me to support Roy Keane playing for Ireland is like asking you to support Wayne Rooney playing for England.
    You need to try and put yourself in the shoes of the majority in Northern Ireland (let's not even argue over whether factually correct or not) who regard Northern Ireland as a distinct country separate from ROI in the same way as ROI is separate from England.
    You may not like it, but that is what the vast majority believe. You want to sweep that aside and pretend we are all in the one country and that somehow Roy Keane is a fellow countryman mine

I am not asking you to support Roy Keane or the Republic of Ireland soccer team though. I am wondering how you hate your fellow northern residents so much like best Trimble gilroy ferris that you want them to lose. Given this logic you want the Irish golf, tennis, hockey, cricket, boxing and Olympics athletes who come from the north and represent Ireland all to lose. It’s very small minded. Sport in Ireland has never followed political borders and football is very much the exception in having 2 associations.

https://twitter.com/conorbarnes1972/status/1272078314254077952?s=21

Your life must be really crap if you felt the need to walk down to grove park, Belfast m this morning and put up a banner where some parents and kids were playing Gaelic football amongst each other.

North is wayyyy way behind south when it comes to forward thinking. It’s the dying embers of unionism to be honest. Call me bias, but vast majority of northern people, both catholic and Protestant, see no place for this behaviour in society. There is this minority left who are clinging to any sort of straws they can to try resist ireland as an island moving forward, very sad to see. The sooner they embrace what’s happening the better. Not be long to Martin O’Neill manages the newly formed all ireland soccer team :D:D

Maybe even downcow will be in the front row of the aviva cheering on

We are getting there slowly, but it is difficult.

You would then agree that a policy that states that it is okay to express your culture and identity, no matter how offends, is okay as long as you do not set out to offend, is not a great policy

No wonder belligerent Loyalists/Unionists have trouble with this.

'it is okay to express your culture and identity', it is NOT ok to think that sectarianism and bigotry is 'culture' or 'identity',

Take as long as you need to get the point.

https://twitter.com/conorbarnes1972/status/1272078314254077952?s=21

Your life must be really crap if you felt the need to walk down to grove park, Belfast m this morning and put up a banner where some parents and kids were playing Gaelic football amongst each other.

North is wayyyy way behind south when it comes to forward thinking. It’s the dying embers of unionism to be honest. Call me bias, but vast majority of northern people, both catholic and Protestant, see no place for this behaviour in society. There is this minority left who are clinging to any sort of straws they can to try resist ireland as an island moving forward, very sad to see. The sooner they embrace what’s happening the better. Not be long to Martin O’Neill manages the newly formed all ireland soccer team :D:D

Maybe even downcow will be in the front row of the aviva cheering on

That is a bit disingenuous to at one level suggest this somehow represents Unionists, and then to go on to say that most Unionists see no place for this behaviour in society. Which is it?
    As a Unionist I am shocked at that behaviour. Mind you, living where I live, I would not have batted an eyelid if it had been a GAA pitch banning British sports, as we have seen plenty of that over the years.

So you find yourself a nice interesting picture and you want to roll it out to stereotype large sections of the community. You sound like a peacemaker
    If that sign remains more than several hours then I will not be impressed with my community. I feel fairly sure they will deal with it and take it down. Unlike some of the stuff that is up for years in my area condemning my community

That is a bit disingenuous to at one level suggest this somehow represents Unionists, and then to go on to say that most Unionists see no place for this behaviour in society. Which is it?
    As a Unionist I am shocked at that behaviour. Mind you, living where I live, I would not have batted an eyelid if it had been a GAA pitch banning British sports, as we have seen plenty of that over the years.

So you find yourself a nice interesting picture and you want to roll it out to stereotype large sections of the community. You sound like a peacemaker
    If that sign remains more than several hours then I will not be impressed with my community. I feel fairly sure they will deal with it and take it down. Unlike some of the stuff that is up for years in my area condemning my community

Just find it hilarious in general the irony of all your posts today battering anything “ireland” but you’re on boards.ie bantering with your island neighbours.

I think there’s an Antrim/down section on hogan stand, it’s kind of like boards, may be more to your liking?

I have not avoided anything. You are bombarding me with questions which seems par for the course on here, whilst not being prepared to answer any yourself.

But I will continue to try and have integrity and answer questions.
    Do I support northern athletes at the Olympics?
    Obviously I love to see the northern athletes compete for my own nation the UK.
    If they compete for Ireland I do like to see them do well, in the same way as I like to see Rory Best do well when he's playing for the Ireland team.
    It does all get a bit sore for me when they have to stand under a flag and anthem that are completely alien to me. But that is the unfortunate situation of living in a divided society.
    So a short answer is, yes

Most athletes from the north represent Ireland as sport is generally organised on an all island basis. So you shout for northern athletes in the Olympics games but want Irish rugby team to lose? It’s all a bit childish and silly but you what you are.

Just find it hilarious in general the irony of all your posts today battering anything “ireland” but you’re on boards.ie bantering with your island neighbours.

I think there’s an Antrim/down section on hogan stand, it’s kind of like boards, may be more to your liking?

Yeah. You can check my history. I came on here simply to get some advice around farming questions and I happened upon this thread and found the level of ignorance and prejudice astounding, so thought I would stay around as a gift to you 😀

Most athletes from the north represent Ireland as sport is generally organised on an all island basis. So you shout for northern athletes in the Olympics games but want Irish rugby team to lose? It’s all a bit childish and silly but you what you are.

Seems you are correct and I am wrong about the athletes 21 for ireland and 8 for uk. Even taking into account the 9 hockey players who chose Ireland because uk didn’t select them, there are more representing ireland

• Advertisement

21 Team Ireland v 8 Team Gb in Rio 2016.

I wasn’t wrong. The IFA policy is not to fix games for Sunday. Linfield refuse to play games on a Sunday. It’s all quite comical in 2020 but the IFA listens to one community only.

Advertisement