Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How long before Irish reunification? (Part 2) Threadbans in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,626 ✭✭✭✭downcow

21 Team Ireland v 8 Team Gb in Rio 2016.

I wasn’t wrong. The IFA policy is not to fix games for Sunday. Linfield refuse to play games on a Sunday. It’s all quite comical in 2020 but the IFA listens to one community only.

When you admit you were wrong bout no ni games on a Sunday I’ll be happy to address Sunday league football

• Registered Users Posts: 6,186 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

downcow wrote: »
    When you admit you were wrong bout no ni games on a Sunday I’ll be happy to address Sunday league football

NI played an international game on a Sunday as governing body told them too. However they always request to fix games other than a Sunday when scheduling matches at international level. So to say they never do was incorrect but to say they do so unwillingly is correct.

NI played an international game on a Sunday as governing body told them too. However they always request to fix games other than a Sunday when scheduling matches at international level. So to say they never do was incorrect but to say they do so unwillingly is correct.

How do you feel now that you’ve got that off your chest?

How do you feel now that you’ve got that off your chest?

The issue is how the IFA are dictated to by one community on what day a game is played. Kind of sums up the the whole problem up there.

The issue is how the IFA are dictated to by one community on what day a game is played. Kind of sums up the the whole problem up there.

I actually agree with you. Prod majority sport avoids Sunday’s with no consideration that catholics enjoy Sunday sport And gaa is focused on Sunday’s with no consideration that that prevents a significant number of prods from participating.
    Crazy country

• Advertisement

I actually agree with you. Prod majority sport avoids Sunday’s with no consideration that catholics enjoy Sunday sport And gaa is focused on Sunday’s with no consideration that that prevents a significant number of prods from participating.
    Crazy country

Gaa is played on Saturday and Sundays all over the island. Are you saying somehow the gaa deliberately fix games on a Sunday to stop Protestants playing?!! It’s the IFA who are out of step with the rest of the western world.

Gaa is played on Saturday and Sundays all over the island. Are you saying somehow the gaa deliberately fix games on a Sunday to stop Protestants playing?!! It’s the IFA who are out of step with the rest of the western world.

I don’t think either does it to stop the other. But that’s the impact of the gaa decision. I’m not saying they are wrong. That’s just the impact.
    Actually I imagine if football was moved to Sunday there would be complaints from gaa about taking their players and supporters

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

GAA was typically played on Sunday because you went to mass and then the game....

Even moving games to a Saturday years ago caused a bit of up roar if I remember correctly.

Just remember d’Unbelieveables....have the dinner at 6 in the morning to get a good run at the day :-)

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    GAA was typically played on Sunday because you went to mass and then the game....

Even moving games to a Saturday years ago caused a bit of up roar if I remember correctly.

Just remember d’Unbelieveables....have the dinner at 6 in the morning to get a good run at the day :-)

That’s a long long time ago. The uproar which was little was due tothe difficulty with people working and attending as opposed to anything else.

The IFA decision is based solely on religious grounds and to keep one community happy. There was protests outside Ravenhill when they put rugby on a Sunday and linfield state they won’t ever play on a Sunday.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Junkyard Tom

I didn't think a United Ireland was inevitable until the last few months. Let's face it, we're just counting down the clock now.

There's only one direction of travel in all this and that's an increasingly integrated Ireland both socially and economically. Britain looks like it's going for a kamikaze Brexit which means the north essentially will be devolved from Dublin/Brussels and not London.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,728 ✭✭✭eire4

Are you for real? A football club and ground synonymous with sectarianism produces a jersey with an orange sash on it and colours used on all UVF banners. Whoever commissioned the jersey is either brain dead or wants to provoke a reaction and sell jerseys.

One actually forgets how backward the ifa is and linfield. Won’t even play a match on a Sunday or would the international team. Some laugh.

There is no chance IMHO that Linfield coming out with this away top that just happens to have an orange sash on it and is in the colours of the UVF was a coincidence. Linfield have a long history with a core support base that is racist and this jersey is IMHO very much pandering to that core racist support base of theirs.

I don’t think either does it to stop the other. But that’s the impact of the gaa decision. I’m not saying they are wrong. That’s just the impact.
    Actually I imagine if football was moved to Sunday there would be complaints from gaa about taking their players and supporters

eire4 wrote: »
    There is no chance IMHO that Linfield coming out with this away top that just happens to have an orange sash on it and is in the colours of the UVF was a coincidence. Linfield have a long history with a core support base that is racist and this jersey is IMHO very much pandering to that core racist support base of theirs.

What are you on tonight?
    Few teams and sports in ni are unaffected by the devision. You are in cloud cuckoo land if you think linfield are somehow different.
    As for racist, again I would say we all are on the predominantly white society. Maybe not you lol

Anything but actually address that the IFA is dictated to by the Protestant community as to when it plays it matches! The GAA plays them when it suits them not on any sectarian grounds.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

That’s a long long time ago. The uproar which was little was due tothe difficulty with people working and attending as opposed to anything else.

The IFA decision is based solely on religious grounds and to keep one community happy. There was protests outside Ravenhill when they put rugby on a Sunday and linfield state they won’t ever play on a Sunday.

I think your going down a rabbit hole.

The reason games got played on a Sunday for GAA was because of religious grounds, Mass and then the football....Rep is just as bcakward for years about religion as well. Not sure why you are trying to say it was different?

In the republic I can’t think of a country who buys into its athletes and sports as much as we do. We support anyone who puts on the green jersey of their nation. It’s a great way to be free of any prejudices.

I know for myself while football is my primary sport I also love and enjoy both GAA and Rugby and watch both avidly as well and enjoy following my local teams in both GAA and Rugby as well as football.

I think your going down a rabbit hole.

The reason games got played on a Sunday for GAA was because of religious grounds, Mass and then the football....Rep is just as bcakward for years about religion as well. Not sure why you are trying to say it was different?

It was played on a Sunday as people were working the other days. There was no Saturday off for a lot of people. Also of course no floodlights. Yes people went to Mass before but Sunday was considered the day of leisure.

Ireland has changed considerable in the last 30 years. No sports organisation is dictated to by any religion unlike the IFA.

We don’t support them during training etc...everyone has no problem jumping on the bandwagon after the hard work is done

Ask someone to give extra 5 euro towards sports etc and see how patriotic they are then

Speak for yourself. I have supported my local teams as well as the Ireland teams my whole life. Football wise that has involved many rough years including now and my support is just the same as it was at the high points. Same goes for rugby. I remember the Ireland team year after year battling to avoid the wooden spoon in the then rugby 5 nations. My support then was the same as it is now that we are generally quite successful internationally in rugby. I can say the same with Dublin GAA. Loving life now obviously but my support never wavered during those long years before this current golden era.

As for money well certainly I would love to see us at a national level put more money into having better sports facilities. I think it is a disgrace that the historical home of football Dalymount park is in such a dilapidated state. I think it is great how Tallagh stadium has been bit by bit built and hopefully the same will happen to Dalymount in the not too distant future as examples. GAA obviously have the advantage being amateur that they have more money of their own that they can put aside for decent facilities. But for instance I think it is great how the main provincial rugby stadiums are being done up. Munster and Ulster both now have decent stadiums that suit them. Hopefully Connacht and Leinster will have their outdated stadiums redeveloped soon as well.

The team of this Island in rugby is Ireland. You want them to lose. They represent you whether you want to ignore that or not. Chelsea are based in London and no where near the north. The comparison is irrelevant.

You also by the same logic want all athletes from the north in the Olympics games who represent Ireland to fail.

It’s a very very small minded attitude.

We supported sports people such as Carl frampton Alex Higgins and Wayne McCullough and never batted an eyelid. I pity the toxicity that you can’t escape from.

Interestingly Chelsea just like Linfield are well know for their racist core fan base.

I didn't think a United Ireland was inevitable until the last few months. Let's face it, we're just counting down the clock now.

There's only one direction of travel in all this and that's an increasingly integrated Ireland both socially and economically. Britain looks like it's going for a kamikaze Brexit which means the north essentially will be devolved from Dublin/Brussels and not London.

Confirmed in the programme for govt that there is a United Ireland division within the Dept of an Taoiseach. Interesting to see what they come up with.

• Advertisement

What are you on tonight?
    Few teams and sports in ni are unaffected by the devision. You are in cloud cuckoo land if you think linfield are somehow different.
    As for racist, again I would say we all are on the predominantly white society. Maybe not you lol

Ahh well done to you. You open with an insult because someone dares to have opinions you do not like. To be expected of course.

I was talking about how it is not a coincidence that Linfield's new away jersey has an orange sash and is in the colours of the UVF. They are pandering to their racist core support base by coming out with that away jersey IMHO. No idea what your talking about in reference to other teams and sports. I certainly was only talking about Linfield and their new away jersey.

As for skin colour obviously Ireland as a country when it comes to skin colour most people have white skin. Racism goes way beyond skin colour so either your being disingenuous or remarkably ignorant when it comes to racism. Racism is bout prejudice and discrimination and often violence against a group due to their ethnicity, nationality and or skin colour.

Finally I would say your last comment LOL while speculating that I may not be in a predominately white society is very telling and interesting I must say.

It was played on a Sunday as people were working the other days. There was no Saturday off for a lot of people. Also of course no floodlights. Yes people went to Mass before but Sunday was considered the day of leisure.

Ireland has changed considerable in the last 30 years. No sports organisation is dictated to by any religion unlike the IFA.

I really do wonder are you for real.
    I freely accept that there is still influence within the ifa grey suits who believe in sabbath observance. It’s a small minority but it seems important to them so the ifa family live with it. Yet we have played internationals home and away on a Sunday with zero impact on the crowd. Yes I know a few who stay away but they give their tickets to others

As for you suggestion that ifa is more connected to Protestant church than gaa to catholic. Well that is simply astounding. Even for you.
    Gaa is joined at the hip to the Catholic Church
    https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.thesun.ie/sport/gaa-football/2646394/old-catholic-ireland-is-gone-and-the-gaas-continued-links-to-the-church-are-an-embarrassment/amp/

Interestingly Chelsea just like Linfield are well know for their racist core fan base.

That is a very sad comment. I started supporting Chelsea age 6 and I find your implication pathetic.
    I would not label friends who are connected to my local gaa club racist just because it is has displayed extreme racism.
    Racism is alive and well in football, gaa, rugby etc. You can burry hour head but that is why gaa is not becoming more inclusive. Most sports accept they have a problem and are working on it.
    Gaa (and people with your views) think gaa is neither sectarian or racist. The gaa has not even reached square one on issues of diversity

Ahh well done to you. You open with an insult because someone dares to have opinions you do not like. To be expected of course.

I was talking about how it is not a coincidence that Linfield's new away jersey has an orange sash and is in the colours of the UVF. They are pandering to their racist core support base by coming out with that away jersey IMHO. No idea what your talking about in reference to other teams and sports. I certainly was only talking about Linfield and their new away jersey.

As for skin colour obviously Ireland as a country when it comes to skin colour most people have white skin. Racism goes way beyond skin colour so either your being disingenuous or remarkably ignorant when it comes to racism. Racism is bout prejudice and discrimination and often violence against a group due to their ethnicity, nationality and or skin colour.

Finally I would say your last comment LOL while speculating that I may not be in a predominately white society is very telling and interesting I must say.

Maybe you would explain then why you keep referring to linfield as racist

I really do wonder are you for real.
    I freely accept that there is still influence within the ifa grey suits who believe in sabbath observance. It’s a small minority but it seems important to them so the ifa family live with it. Yet we have played internationals home and away on a Sunday with zero impact on the crowd. Yes I know a few who stay away but they give their tickets to others

As for you suggestion that ifa is more connected to Protestant church than gaa to catholic. Well that is simply astounding. Even for you.
    Gaa is joined at the hip to the Catholic Church
    https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.thesun.ie/sport/gaa-football/2646394/old-catholic-ireland-is-gone-and-the-gaas-continued-links-to-the-church-are-an-embarrassment/amp/

UEFA/FIFA dictate international fixture dates not the IFA. The IFA don’t fix league fixtures which they have control over for a Sunday. It’s incredible in 2020 such such a hold is still held on the IFA when a match takes place.

The GAA makes money and does it quiet well. Better than any other sporting organisation on this island with the best facilities too. It rented out its stadium to the Pope so what? Previous links were strong but gaa policy/fixtures/structure is not dictated to in any way by the church. The same can’t be said of the IFA. But then the IFA represent one community on anthem, fixtures and a lot of things. The team from the second biggest primarily nationalist city up north even play in a different league. Sums it all up really.

That is a very sad comment. I started supporting Chelsea age 6 and I find your implication pathetic.
    I would not label friends who are connected to my local gaa club racist just because it is has displayed extreme racism

You shout for a team of mercenaries in north London and wish defeat on your local people who represent Ireland. Kind of sums you up. Damian Duff and Andy Townsend playing for them must have had you out with the voodoo doll.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,551 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

You shout for a team of mercenaries in north London and wish defeat on your local people who represent Ireland. Kind of sums you up. Damian Duff and Andy Townsend playing for them must have had you out with the voodoo doll.

Is that the same Damian who published an extremely vitriolic article against the GAA.

UEFA/FIFA dictate international fixture dates not the IFA. The IFA don’t fix league fixtures which they have control over for a Sunday. It’s incredible in 2020 such such a hold is still held on the IFA when a match takes place.

The GAA makes money and does it quiet well. Better than any other sporting organisation on this island with the best facilities too. It rented out its stadium to the Pope so what? Previous links were strong but gaa policy/fixtures/structure is not dictated to in any way by the church. The same can’t be said of the IFA. But then the IFA represent one community on anthem, fixtures and a lot of things. The team from the second biggest primarily nationalist city up north even play in a different league. Sums it all up really.

You have just read an article that outlines some of the ways gaa and rc church are joined at the hip and you still deny it and go on digging at the ifa (this is the definition of sectarianism and prejudice)

I said I don’t follow irish league but thought I should have a look as you had been totally wrong on ni team not playing on sundays.

Low and behold! You are wrong again.

Ifa voted by 91-14 in 2007 to abolish the rule outlawing Sunday football. Almost immediately two (possibly the two most Protestant teams in the league) lead the way and played their premiership game on Sunday. Sunday games have continued since when both teams wish. There is even a clause built in that players who don’t want to play on Sunday for faith reasons cannot be disciplined by their clubs.

I’ll not hold my breath for you admitting you were wrong again

Is that the same Damian who published an extremely vitriolic article against the GAA.

He was completely wrong there and got involved in something he knew little of re Liam miller match. The match was correctly played in Pairc Ui Chaoimh in any event. Discussions were already going on about this and luckily common sense prevailed.

He would have much better off focusing on the FAI and it’s absolute shambles of an organisational structure but now that he is employed by them I hope he proves a success.

• Advertisement

You have just read an article that outlines some of the ways gaa and rc church are joined at the hip and you still deny it and go on digging at the ifa (this is the definition of sectarianism and prejudice)

I said I don’t follow irish league but thought I should have a look as you had been totally wrong on ni team not playing on sundays.

Low and behold! You are wrong again.

Ifa voted by 91-14 in 2007 to abolish the rule outlawing Sunday football. Almost immediately two (possibly the two most Protestant teams in the league) lead the way and played their premiership game on Sunday. Sunday games have continued since when both teams wish. There is even a clause built in that players who don’t want to play on Sunday for faith reasons cannot be disciplined by their clubs.

I’ll not hold my breath for you admitting you were wrong again

I knew all that already. The fact you didn’t shows how out of sync you are with your local football. For someone allegedly campaigning about anthem change in the north I find such lack of knowledge about your local league surprising to say the least.

What does IFA article 36b state? No football will be fixed for a Sunday unless clubs agree to play. Linfield (surprise surprise) have a club rule they won’t play on a sunday. There has never been an IFA league match played on a Sunday in Windsor Park. It’s all quite comical for 2020.

Joined at the hip suggests the church dictate gaa policy. Nothing could be further from the truth. Does the church tell the gaa when to play a match? Not a chance.

Advertisement