Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How long before Irish reunification? (Part 2) Threadbans in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,626 ✭✭✭✭downcow

You shout for a team of mercenaries in north London and wish defeat on your local people who represent Ireland. Kind of sums you up. Damian Duff and Andy Townsend playing for them must have had you out with the voodoo doll.

Pathetic response.
    Also you are being a little harsh referring to Andy Townsend as a mercenary just because he was a Englishman that couldn’t make the England team so played for ireland.

I knew all that already. The fact you didn’t shows how out of sync you are with your local football. For someone allegedly campaigning about anthem change in the north I find such lack of knowledge about your local league surprising to say the least.

What does IFA article 36b state? No football will be fixed for a Sunday unless clubs agree to play. Linfield (surprise surprise) have a club rule they won’t play on a sunday. There has never been an IFA league match played on a Sunday in Windsor Park. It’s all quite comical for 2020.

Joined at the hip suggests the church dictate gaa policy. Nothing could be further from the truth. Does the church tell the gaa when to play a match? Not a chance.

So if you knew all that, then unfortunately you were just telling lies earlier. Very hard to debate without some level of honesty and integrity on both sides

I am also baffled that you have an issue with the current situation. Basically the ifa rule says, play on Sunday if teams want to, do not play on Sunday if teams don’t want to, no players to be penalised either way.
    You really have a serious chip on your shoulder.
    Concentrate on not forcing rc prayers, priests, blessings, etc on young Muslims who would like to play gaa

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

You shout for a team of mercenaries in north London and wish defeat on your local people who represent Ireland. Kind of sums you up. Damian Duff and Andy Townsend playing for them must have had you out with the voodoo doll.

What are you talking about?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,186 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

downcow wrote: »
    Pathetic response.
    Also you are being a little harsh referring to Andy Townsend as a mercenary just because he was a Englishman that couldn’t make the England team so played for ireland.

You hope your own sportspeople lose. Now that’s pathetic in so many ways and filled with so much bile and hatred it’s sad. Couldn’t care less where he is from. A great player he was for us and made USA 94 when England couldn’t. Played up in Windsor park in 93 and celebrated with gusto. Fair play to him.

Munsterlegend. Give us a laugh with your answer to this question.

Which sport has the most diverse participation - ethenicity, race, religion, politics? Football or gaa??

Simple question. I like a laugh on a Monday morning

• Advertisement

You hope your own sportspeople lose. Now that’s pathetic in so many ways and filled with so much bile and hatred it’s sad. Couldn’t care less where he is from. A great player he was for us and made USA 94 when England couldn’t. Played up in Windsor park in 93 and celebrated with gusto. Fair play to him.

Hahaha. So is he a mercenary when he plays for Chelsea but not when he plays for ROI ??

And remember it was you called him a mercenary for playing for Chelsea

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    What are you talking about?

Downcow said he hoped Ulster players in the Irish rugby team play well individually but lose the match. As for Olympics athletes representing Ireland I am awaiting clarification. Instead he shouts for a team in north London and hoped they win. All rather strange. I have no problem supporting a team in the premiership Or wherever but hoping people lose on the international stage that are from your place is just beyond pathetic.

Hahaha. So is he a mercenary when he plays for Chelsea but not when he plays for ROI ??

International players back then got virtually nothing. All footballers nowadays go where the money is. And good luck to them. A good chelsea player would leave in the morning like hazard did if Barca or Madrid came in for them. Just the way it is.

Munsterlegend. Give us a laugh with your answer to this question.

Which sport has the most diverse participation - ethenicity, race, religion, politics? Football or gaa??

Simple question. I like a laugh on a Monday morning

That’s a completely stupid question. Racism is rife in football though for all its multicultural participation.

Just as pathetic and stupid as hoping people from your area lose on the international stage. I will keep repeating it as it shows your naked hatred.

Downcow said he hoped Ulster players in the Irish rugby team play well individually but lose the match. As for Olympics athletes representing Ireland I am awaiting clarification. Instead he shouts for a team in north London and hoped they win. All rather strange. I have no problem supporting a team in the premiership Or wherever but hoping people lose on the international stage that are from your place is just beyond pathetic.

I think you’ll find I was clear that I want ni athletes to win at olympics no matter who they represent. I also said I would like to support ireland rugby team but get put off by the anthem, flag and pomp all relating to one of the countries making up the team and none from my country.
    I guess it would be the same struggle you would have if the british & ire Lyons used a union flag, gstq, and paraded out her majesty before every game.
    How would you approach that? Would you want your lads to play well but be apathetic about the team result?

• Advertisement

International players back then got virtually nothing. All footballers nowadays go where the money is. And good luck to them. A good chelsea player would leave in the morning like hazard did if Barca or Madrid came in for them. Just the way it is.

So answer the question

That’s a completely stupid question. Racism is rife in football though for all its multicultural participation.

Just as pathetic and stupid as hoping people from your area lose on the international stage. I will keep repeating it as it shows your naked hatred.

Maybe it is a hard question!

I am now waiting on an answer on the british lions question. You’ll have to do some manoeuvring to not display similar ‘hatred’ lol

I think you’ll find I was clear that I want ni athletes to win at olympics no matter who they represent. I also said I would like to support ireland rugby team but get put off by the anthem, flag and pomp all relating to one of the countries making up the team and none from my country.
    I guess it would be the same struggle you would have if the british & ire Lyons used a union flag, gstq, and paraded out her majesty before every game.
    How would you approach that? Would you want your lads to play well but be apathetic about the team result?

Now you are twisting your answer. At least be consistent. I’d always back my fellow Irishmen to win no matter what the situation.

Anyway the Irish rugby team is here to stay. The chances of the lions doing as you mentioned are never going to happen. You will have a lot of hatred to contend with. Poor you.

So if you knew all that, then unfortunately you were just telling lies earlier. Very hard to debate without some level of honesty and integrity on both sides

I am also baffled that you have an issue with the current situation. Basically the ifa rule says, play on Sunday if teams want to, do not play on Sunday if teams don’t want to, no players to be penalised either way.
    You really have a serious chip on your shoulder.
    Concentrate on not forcing rc prayers, priests, blessings, etc on young Muslims who would like to play gaa

That someone who proclaims to be so fervently involved in northern football to have such zero knowledge of the local game makes me wonder. I can see why your ‘efforts’ at anthem change go nowhere.

Plenty different ethnic backgrounds in the gaa now and they can play seven days a week. The society down here is far more diverse than where you reside.

• Registered Users Posts: 69,156 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

:)
    Why would the British and Irish Lions use a 'UK' flag or play the UK anthem or parade out the queen of Britain before a game?

That someone who proclaims to be so fervently involved in northern football to have such zero knowledge of the local game makes me wonder. I can see why your ‘efforts’ at anthem change go nowhere.

Plenty different ethnic backgrounds in the gaa now and they can play seven days a week. The society down here is far more diverse than where you reside.

Because he is not working for inclusivity...every subtext of what he says points to it.

Won't have sight of an Irish sign because somebody might taunt him...wants to have inclusivity at football even though somebody taunts....not a shred of consistency there. All posturing to fool the easily fooled that he is a moderate.

Seems to have worked on a few, but living on the border I am well aware of similar posturing by some belligerents here too. You get a nose for it fairly quickly. Dis-ingenuous agenda driven carry on.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Junkyard Tom

That would be the British Lions not the 'British and Irish Lions'.

Your sense of entitlement to the six counties is hilariously out of date. Ulster (9 counties) is the province that Rugby players from the 6 counties play for.

We've already compromised with an all-Ireland song that everyone can sing. NI is not 'your wee Unionist country' any more and Ireland is not Britain and never ever will be, get over it.

Would you like to see an agreed upon flag, anthem and name for the northern Ireland?

Now you are twisting your answer. At least be consistent. I’d always back my fellow Irishmen to win no matter what the situation.

Anyway the Irish rugby team is here to stay. The chances of the lions doing as you mentioned are never going to happen. You will have a lot of hatred to contend with. Poor you.

Well good answer. I agree again. There is no chance the lions would do that. I would be such a ridiculous and offensive thing to do.
    I hope you now understand my struggle with IRFU

Still not answering the question. Is football or GAA more diverse in its participants??

Still not answering the question. Is football or GAA more diverse in its participants??

GAA represents everybody who lives in this country, whatever skin colour or religion they are.

Fact.

• Advertisement

:)
    Why would the British and Irish Lions use a 'UK' flag or play the UK anthem or parade out the queen of Britain before a game?

I guess for the same warped reason that the IRFU ream use the ROI flag, play the ROI anthem and parade out the ROI president.

Crazy isn't it!

GAA represents everybody who lives in this country, whatever skin colour or religion they are.

Fact.

Thats a bit of a crazy outburst! .....maybe you should reflect on that arrogance. I suppose the RC church does as well

That would be the British Lions not the 'British and Irish Lions'.

?

Exactly!
    Thats why when I look at the trappings around IRFU I think of it as the ROI rugby team with a few players from NI allowed to play

I guess for the same warped reason that the IRFU ream use the ROI flag, play the ROI anthem and parade out the ROI president.

Crazy isn't it!

What?

The 'IRFU' downcow...think about the name for a wee second.

Rory Best is proud to play for Ireland. I know it kills you and you are bitter about it but northern players and supporters have been peacefully accommodated and the vast majority of rugby players and supporters have no issue with it.

Of course we know belligerents would love to throw a bigotted spanner into those works, but this is not soccer, you have no power to do that.

Well good answer. I agree again. There is no chance the lions would do that. I would be such a ridiculous and offensive thing to do.
    I hope you now understand my struggle with IRFU

So you want the Irish rugby team to get their ‘asses kicked’ but the 6 county men on the Irish Olympic team to win? It’s a puzzler.

Thats a bit of a crazy outburst! .....maybe you should reflect on that arrogance. I suppose the RC church does as well

What is 'crazy' about it?

What?

The 'IRFU' downcow...think about the name for a wee second.

Rory Best is proud to play for Ireland. I know it kills you and you are bitter about it but northern players and supporters have been peacefully accommodated and the vast majority of rugby players and supporters have no issue with it.

Of course we know belligerents would love to throw a bigotted spanner into those works, but this is not soccer, you have no power to do that.

Those pesky grammar boys as Downcow calls them got that too much of an education Francie.

Those pesky grammar boys as Downcow calls them got that too much of an education Francie.

More inconsistency from downcow - 'he is working for inclusivity in soccer, but is taking bitter little swipes at participants of a sport that has long ago found a way to be inclusive and accommodating'.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,300 ✭✭✭✭jm08

Exactly!
    Thats why when I look at the trappings around IRFU I think of it as the ROI rugby team with a few players from NI allowed to play

So tell me, how much did the Northern Ireland taxpayer contribute to the building of the Aviva Stadium? How much funding does Stormont Assembly/British Government contribute financially to the IRFU? Do you realise I hope that without the proceeds of international games being played in the Aviva (or as in the past, Croke Park), that there would be no professional Ulster rugby team.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,300 ✭✭✭✭jm08

As for you suggestion that ifa is more connected to Protestant church than gaa to catholic. Well that is simply astounding. Even for you.
    Gaa is joined at the hip to the Catholic Church
    https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.thesun.ie/sport/gaa-football/2646394/old-catholic-ireland-is-gone-and-the-gaas-continued-links-to-the-church-are-an-embarrassment/amp/

In fairness, DC, the catholic church played a big part in founding and promoting the GAA (which initially included athletics and other sports as well). Croke Park is named after the Archbishop of Cashel & Emily, Thomas Croke who was a founding member of the GAA in Thurles and its first Patron.

You might find his background interesting, as his mother was of a wealthy protestant family who disowned her when she married a catholic.

While you might find it strange, catholic priests have always been actively involved in promoting the GAA, with priests up to recently even coaching or being selectors for County Teams. The Catholic Church saw playing sports as a good way of keeping young men and women away from the demon drink!

Edit: and that article just displays that the person who wrote it is clueless as he thinks the reason the Bishop of Cashel & Emily is there to represent the catholic church. He is there because he is a successor of one of the founding members and first patron of the GAA.

Advertisement