Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How long before Irish reunification? (Part 2) Threadbans in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,728 ✭✭✭eire4

So Chelsea aren't an infamously racist club because you supported since you were 6?

FWIW my dad has been supporting them since the 60s as is his way to being a contrarian shít in a house full of Man U and Everton fans and I relish highlighting their bigotry to annoy him.

No one is calling you a racist for supporting Chelsea, but it's disingenuous to get offended at them being called a racist club. They are famous for it.

I'm a Shelbourne fan as it happens for any balance.

Partial to Bohemians myself:)

• Registered Users Posts: 19,085 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

eire4 wrote: »
    Partial to Bohemians myself:)

Like DC, there's no hope for some of ye.

• Registered Users Posts: 69,156 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    Why would I ally with downcow?

Your constant lying is tiresome just to make a point

Even in the most recent survey of the top sports in Ireland soccer came out ahead of rugby. I

Want an example, look at the soccer forum on here, so maybe start telling the truth....

I never said it was more popular than soccer...don't be shifting.

I contested your bull**** stereotypical nonsense about it.

The Ulster Flag.

---

They have started to use the Tricolour and Ulster Flag in tandem now as was the case in stadia during the RWC in Japan.

FYI I just added in the bit about the Yellow in terms of the Ulster flag so there was no confusion about exactly what flag I was talking about:)

FYI I just added in the bit about the Yellow in terms of the Ulster flag so there was no confusion about exactly what flag I was talking about:)

Fair. But I mean, if some people on this thread don't know the difference between the "Ulster Flag" and the "Ulster Banner" then maybe they should brush up on those sorts of things.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 957 ✭✭✭BloodyBill

Not worth a response as it’s the truth. Tricolours burned and cheered every year by everyone in attendance. Lack of educational opportunities leads to such ignorance. Loyalist areas have been made fools of by their elected representatives.

As a fellow Munsterman who's actually lived in east Belfast I must say that you are wrong. I met many people from a loyalist background and they were nothing but nice. Very friendly and genuine. I didnt feel any hatred. I think they see Southerners as more like honest brokers and less dogmatic than Northern Nationalists. Theres just as many clowns on the Republican side as the Loyalist and that is for sure
    As for Amhrann na Bhfiann ,well it's a brutal Natiknal Anthem. I remember well standing to attention before playing hurling matches and listening to a song in a language few people understood. The sooner it goes the better. I respect it and stand straight facing the flag but if there is a United Ireland in a 100 years or so then I ll be happy to see that rubbish song going.

Fair. But I mean, if some people on this thread don't know the difference between the "Ulster Flag" and the "Ulster Banner" then maybe they should brush up on those sorts of things.

I totally agree.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

I never said it was more popular than soccer...don't be shifting.

I contested your bull**** stereotypical nonsense about it.

Another topic, more nonsense. Do you even remember what I said? round and round the merry go round

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    Another topic, more nonsense. Do you even remember what I said? round and round the merry go round

Youseem to think it was that soccer is more popular statistically than rugby.

Which wasn't what you said at all. Here is what you said...which is still bull****.
    What are we going on about here lads and ladies? walk around any town and village and if you see a sports jersey on a person 99% of the time it is an English soccer team. Walk into a pub and ask to put on the rugby when Premiership is on and you will get a look and told to go over to the 12" thing in the cornor.

Now we are suddenly talking about how we are Ireland such patriotic sports fans?

Most pubs will only play the GAA becaue they have the soccer blaring out on another TV in the cornor. Pro 14 game in the rugby? your having a laugh. I have gone all around the country, walked into pubs and hotels and asked if they will stick on the rugby. "Oh we dont have those channels but we do have Charlton v Sh**ty UTd on tonight"

• Registered Users Posts: 11,626 ✭✭✭✭downcow

You imagine that the average GAA fan in the North are that petty?

This is an organisation that changed the timing of a Dublin match in 2016 to avoid clashing with Ireland v France at the Euros? And not only that out that soccer match on the big screen in Croke Park that day as well.

Yeah, the GAA are the ones here who will be up in arms clashing with the Irish League.

Seems funny they never complained about rugby or League of Ireland being played on Sundays before, but would start up moaning when the Irish League joins the 20th century? Give over.

It’s munsterlegend that raised it and is complaining.
    Ifa votes 91-14 for Sunday football to be allowed. So stop twisting and talking nonsense

• Advertisement

So Chelsea aren't an infamously racist club because you supported since you were 6?

FWIW my dad has been supporting them since the 60s as is his way to being a contrarian shít in a house full of Man U and Everton fans and I relish highlighting their bigotry to annoy him.

No one is calling you a racist for supporting Chelsea, but it's disingenuous to get offended at them being called a racist club. They are famous for it.

I'm a Shelbourne fan as it happens for any balance.

There was an inference being made because I support them. Look back it’s evident.

downcow wrote: »
    Ifa votes 91-14 for Sunday football to be allowed. So stop twisting and talking nonsense

Only after the Equality Commission took them to court under European Equal RIGHTS legislation.

They '**** the bed' in other words before they got done.

jm08 wrote: »
    If you heard the spewing of hate of Ian Paisley Snr. in his early years, you would understand where it all comes from.

This documentary made by Radharc in 1964 prior to it all kicking off will give you a little insight into the troubles.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LjhqP90uaro

yeah=right
    just take care watching a single documentary that is recommended to you on here. The issues are very complex, and we will all disagree about how/when it kicked off. I suggest you do your best to watch some material from both sides and also some stuff produced by supposedly neutral academics.
    It's not simple, and I certainly would not lay even the majority of the blame at either door.

There was an inference being made because I support them. Look back it’s evident.

You see that "inference". Never let a good opportunity to be a victim go to waste DC.

Yeah_Right wrote: »
    The course was the History of Modern Conflicts. One semester was Ireland, the other was Palestine. The main focus of the Irish semester was 1916 to 1995 (the year I was studying it). We did spend the first couple weeks studying the background of the conflict going back to cover Cromwell, the Boyne, Plantation, the Famine etc.

If you are ever in Northern Ireland let me know. I have a very close friend who is a strong Republican. We have done lots of dialogue/conflict work together. You could spend a little time with each, or both together, and I think you would get an insight into the complexity and the struggles of trying to come out of a nasty sectarian conflict.

yeah=right
    just take care watching a single documentary that is recommended to you on here. The issues are very complex, and we will all disagree about how/when it kicked off. I suggest you do your best to watch some material from both sides and also some stuff produced by supposedly neutral academics.
    It's not simple, and I certainly would not lay even the majority of the blame at either door.

What's the 'material' from 'the other side'?

I don’t think either does it to stop the other. But that’s the impact of the gaa decision. I’m not saying they are wrong. That’s just the impact.
    Actually I imagine if football was moved to Sunday there would be complaints from gaa about taking their players and supporters
    You imagine that the average GAA fan in the North are that petty?

This is an organisation that changed the timing of a Dublin match in 2016 to avoid clashing with Ireland v France at the Euros? And not only that out that soccer match on the big screen in Croke Park that day as well.

Yeah, the GAA are the ones here who will be up in arms clashing with the Irish League.

Seems funny they never complained about rugby or League of Ireland being played on Sundays before, but would start up moaning when the Irish League joins the 20th century? Give over.

What am I twisting? I asked you direct questions based on your nonsense statement about GAA complaints.

Conversations evolve. The above has nothing to do with Munsterlegend. I'm asking you questions.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,186 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

BloodyBill wrote: »
    As a fellow Munsterman who's actually lived in east Belfast I must say that you are wrong. I met many people from a loyalist background and they were nothing but nice. Very friendly and genuine. I didnt feel any hatred. I think they see Southerners as more like honest brokers and less dogmatic than Northern Nationalists. Theres just as many clowns on the Republican side as the Loyalist and that is for sure
    As for Amhrann na Bhfiann ,well it's a brutal Natiknal Anthem. I remember well standing to attention before playing hurling matches and listening to a song in a language few people understood. The sooner it goes the better. I respect it and stand straight facing the flag but if there is a United Ireland in a 100 years or so then I ll be happy to see that rubbish song going.

In general terms loyalists have done terrible since the shipyard and other apprentice type jobs collapsed. They still vote in DUP who do nothing for them and their education results are poor as shown below.

https://www.google.ie/amp/s/amp.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/news/northern-ireland/poorer-protestant-boys-faring-worst-in-northern-ireland-schools-says-report-37697585.html

I am sure like in all areas there are good and not so good people. Drugs seem to be the big scourge now. However they all go crazy from late June to July. I have been up there and it’s sectarian banners everywhere.

You are entitled not to like a song.i have never met anyone who doesn’t like it in this country. Croke park for an all Ireland is a great occasion and the anthem is sung with gusto as it is at most gaa matches. Ireland England in 2007 and players were crying during the anthem. My favourite anthem is the French one and the Russian one is good too.

BloodyBill wrote: »

The issues people have are with the "belligerent" loyalists like downcow not your average Billy McAllister.

Also, belting out AnbhF before and Irish soccer or rugby match or All-Ireland final is a great rush and fillip before a sporting occasion

The rendition before the NZ game in 2018 being a particular sporting occasion highlight for me. That you don't like it is fine, but there's many of us who do.

How you can be a Chelsea supporter and not know their links with Combat 18 and of course the infamous chelsea headhunters? It’s no wonder Chelsea had a lot of Linfield supporters. Birds of a feather..
    you and Eire4 are doing it again. I was very clear that I do not support Linfield, or for that matter any Irish league team.
    I am not interested in scrolling back to get the verbatim, but as soon as I said I supported Chelsea (loosely), Eire4 said something along the lines of - isn't it interesting that Chelsea is also a racist team.
    So you guys can stop dancing around suggesting nothing was implied.

I haven't heard anybody deal with the racism and the GAA. My local club got hammered recently for giving serious abuse to a young black player and I see you guys are in the press again today for your treatment of a young BAME one who is trying to play gaa but taking serious abuse because of her colour.

I think you should forget about Chelsea get your own house in order

• Advertisement

I would also mention when the Irish Rugby team plays outside of Ireland the team plays under a version of the Irish 4 provinces flag with the IRFU logo in the middle. This is the only flag used. For matches played in Dublin the Irish tricolour and the yellow flag of Ulster are also flown alongside the IRFU version of the 4 provinces flag.

Yes this was the final insult. We have two countries playing.
    Could you give me any justification why the flag of one country was flown and then the flag of a province was flown alongside it????
    The answer is clear. They just could not stomach a flag that had any association with Northern Ireland being flown.

Oh I would love to say what I know one of the Irish players said their coach when this happened. But I would be breaking confidence.

Suffice to say they Northern Ireland guys were completely pissed off by this

The Ulster Flag.

---

They have started to use the Tricolour and Ulster Flag in tandem now as was the case in stadia during the RWC in Japan.

Yes absolutely disgusting. Either use the two flags associated with each country or else use the four provinces flags. They really did rub our noses in it with this

Could you give me any justification why the flag of one country was flown and then the flag of a province was flown alongside it.
    The answer is clear. They just could not stomach a flag that had any association with Northern Ireland being flown.

Oh I would love to say what I know one of the Irish players said their coach when this happened. But I would be breaking confidence.

Suffice to say that I think that anyone who thinks Irish rugby needed 'uniting' when it never disintegrated is a bluffer.

People outside the game getting upset is all this amounted to. An accommodation was reached and you are bitter about that because it shows up the soccer boys and gals.

you and Eire4 are doing it again. I was very clear that I do not support Linfield, or for that matter any Irish league team.
    I am not interested in scrolling back to get the verbatim, but as soon as I said I supported Chelsea (loosely), Eire4 said something along the lines of - isn't it interesting that Chelsea is also a racist team.
    So you guys can stop dancing around suggesting nothing was implied.

I haven't heard anybody deal with the racism and the GAA. My local club got hammered recently for giving serious abuse to a young black player and I see you guys are in the press again today for your treatment of a young BAME one who is trying to play gaa but taking serious abuse because of her colour.

I think you should forget about Chelsea get your own house in order

You guys?

And you say you're even handed eh?

You guys?

And you say you're even handed eh?

GAA has a long way to go to become inclusive and diverse. If those in control in the GAA have similar views to many of the posters on here, then I despair.
    You cannot fix something if you do not even realise that it's broken

https://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/sport/gaa/its-not-political-its-about-racism-i-was-so-angry--antrim-ladies-footballer-dahunsi-calls-on-gaa-for-support-1004239.html

Thankfully there are some more progressive and more aware voices in there
    here is what of them tweeted today
    She tweeted: “Very disappointed with the lack of response by the GAA, LGFA and Camogie assoc to the anti-racism movement. Missed opportunity to pledge to further promote an inclusive environment. Citing being a ‘non-political organisation’ not good enough when basic human rights at issue.

This is very healthy when someone has the balls to stand up to the sectarian racist bigots who are in control. Fair play to her

Could you give me any justification why the flag of one country was flown and then the flag of a province was flown alongside it????

The Ulster Banner has no legal standing and is incredibly offensive to a large proportion of the population of this island, especially northern nationalists.

The Ulster Flag has no offensive connotations and is a positive symbol in the context of Irish Rugby.

It's clear why those two flags are used. To suggest otherwise is the latest in a long line of the "world against downcow" instances on this thread.

I'm sure you have the inside track on this.

GAA has a long way to go to become inclusive and diverse. If those in control in the GAA have similar views to many of the posters on here, then I despair.
    You cannot fix something if you do not even realise that it's broken

https://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/sport/gaa/its-not-political-its-about-racism-i-was-so-angry--antrim-ladies-footballer-dahunsi-calls-on-gaa-for-support-1004239.html

Your prime minister has been accussed of racism with his 'letterbox' and other comments.

Racist comments are made and they are dealt with if proven and there is a detailed code of how to deal with them.

You guys think it's ok to splash the UVF colours over players, pretend it co-incidence and try and brazen it out.
    Well, nobody is buying that, not Umbro and not the general public.

The Ulster Banner has no legal standing and is incredibly offensive to a large proportion of the population of this island, especially northern nationalists.

The Ulster Flag has no offensive connotations and is a positive symbol in the context of Irish Rugby.

It's clear why those two flags are used. To suggest otherwise is the latest in a long line of the "world against downcow" instances on this thread.

Rather than avoiding the question, maybe you can tell me why the flag of one nation was used and not the flag that is commonly associated with the other nation?

Yes absolutely disgusting. Either use the two flags associated with each country or else use the four provinces flags. They really did rub our noses in it with this

I'm sure you were apoplectic and decided to support the other team as a result.

I can imagine the IRFU is distraught at the loss of your bigoted view.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,186 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

I'm sure you have the inside track on this.

The man heavily involved in soccer up there and an agent for change but doesn’t support a local club. I’d say his rugby knowledge is top notch.

Advertisement