Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How long before Irish reunification? (Part 2) Threadbans in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,085 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

downcow wrote: »
    GAA has a long way to go to become inclusive and diverse. If those in control in the GAA have similar views to many of the posters on here, then I despair.
    You cannot fix something if you do not even realise that it's broken

https://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/sport/gaa/its-not-political-its-about-racism-i-was-so-angry--antrim-ladies-footballer-dahunsi-calls-on-gaa-for-support-1004239.html

Thankfully there are some more progressive and more aware voices in there
    here is what of them tweeted today
    She tweeted: “Very disappointed with the lack of response by the GAA, LGFA and Camogie assoc to the anti-racism movement. Missed opportunity to pledge to further promote an inclusive environment. Citing being a ‘non-political organisation’ not good enough when basic human rights at issue.

This is very healthy when someone has the balls to stand up to the sectarian racist bigots who are in control. Fair play to her

You should roll up your sleeves and get stuck in then. You seem to have all the answers.

The GAA will welcome fellow Irishman's input.

http://www.downgaa.net/

That will be the best spot for ya to start your revolution.

Rather than avoiding the question, maybe you can tell me why the flag of one nation was used and not the flag that is commonly associated with the other nation?

I literally answered it in the first line of my post.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,186 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

I'm sure you were apoplectic and decided to support the other team as a result.

I can imagine the IRFU is distraught at the loss of your bigoted view.

Yeah he wanted their ‘asses kicked’ as he put so eloquently himself. I am still waiting as to an explanation as to why he wants the rugby lads to lose but the Irish Olympics athletes to win.

The man heavily involved in soccer up there and an agent for change but doesn’t support a local club. I’d say his rugby knowledge is top notch.

And also that the IRFU reunified... He's definitely who I'd go to for sports information.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,626 ✭✭✭✭downcow

I'm sure you have the inside track on this.

Those that engage with me on this forum I trust will vouch for my honesty. They may disagree totally with my views and may think I am a headcase, but I trust that they will know that I do not claim stuff that I know to be untrue - I may make mistakes but this is not one of them.

Let me assure you, I was in the presence of a player, who I would describe as a very moderate person, and they were spitting fire over the use of those two flags together. A flag of one country, and they seen it as a terrible insult that the flag associated with the other country could not be used because some people might be offended. This is from players who stand and try to hold their chin up when stuff they find offensive is played before every game.

If I am really honest, I didn't even know the two flags and been used. So the whole thing was a surprise to me

You just don't get it. You will never get it. You want to dominate over us. You just have no understanding of equality or diversity

• Advertisement

Your prime minister has been accussed of racism with his 'letterbox' and other comments.

Racist comments are made and they are dealt with if proven and there is a detailed code of how to deal with them.

You guys think it's ok to splash the UVF colours over players, pretend it co-incidence and try and brazen it out.
    Well, nobody is buying that, not Umbro and not the general public.

I have been very clear about this. I will be shocked if any Irish league club purposely puts the colours of a paramilitary organisation on its shirts, whether republican or loyalist.
    Another poster claimed to have gems that would prove this if he was PM'd. I have PM'd him some time ago I have said that I will be straight on here to eat humble pie and apologise when he provides this evidence. Strangely he seems to have disappeared. But I will not be found wanting if Linfield have purposely been involved in a disgusting act like this

• Registered Users Posts: 69,156 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

You want to dominate over us. You just have no understanding of equality or diversity

You downcow are the poster...yes YOU who tried to sell us the 'co-incidence' theory over the UVF coloured jerseys that not even the sponsors of the club are buying and who are running as fast as they can from it.

What happened in the IRFU happened because of consensus and accommodation that as yet has seen no public dissent from players or supporters.
    THAT IS HOW you do 'equality and diversity' and keep the centre intact.

Those that engage with me on this forum I trust will vouch for my honesty. They may disagree totally with my views and may think I am a headcase, but I trust that they will know that I do not claim stuff that I know to be untrue - I may make mistakes but this is not one of them.

Let me assure you, I was in the presence of a player, who I would describe as a very moderate person, and they were spitting fire over the use of those two flags together. A flag of one country, and they seen it as a terrible insult that the flag associated with the other country could not be used because some people might be offended. This is from players who stand and try to hold their chin up when stuff they find offensive is played before every game.

If I am really honest, I didn't even know the two flags and been used. So the whole thing was a surprise to me

You just don't get it. You will never get it. You want to dominate over us. You just have no understanding of equality or diversity

Yes I want to subjugate Northern prods.

Remove their right to housing and the vote and make it difficult to get work...

:sar:

---

You're still at this crap two threads later.

Just because the Statelet was a bigoted offensive place in the past doesn't mean that we are suddenly going to turn from the secular open-minded place we are now and absorb all the racist, bigoted tendencies that get Stormont shut down in 1972.

The projection is so strong among belligerent loyalism it's rather funny.

I have been very clear about this. I will be shocked if any Irish league club purposely puts the colours of a paramilitary organisation on its shirts, whether republican or loyalist.
    Another poster claimed to have gems that would prove this if he was PM'd. I have PM'd him some time ago I have said that I will be straight on here to eat humble pie and apologise when he provides this evidence. Strangely he seems to have disappeared. But I will not be found wanting if Linfield have purposely been involved in a disgusting act like this

You think it was an accident then?

That Linfield are so unaware of their history and the history of Ireland that they accidentally picked those colours with that design, approved them. got samples, and then put in the order and NO-ONE saw the issue.

The fact is the design was picked on purpose, it wasn't a randomised design from some design software package.

So given that it was on designed that way by humans on purpose, then the true charge is that absolute idiots are in charge at Linfield that couldn't see why it was offensive.

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭Madeleine Birchfield

The Ulster unionists are afraid of demographic changes in Northern Ireland means they'll lose their majority and consequently their social/cultural/political power in Northern Ireland. Same ****e the Trump supporters/Confederate racists are worried about in the US.

• Advertisement

The Ulster unionists are afraid of demographic changes in Northern Ireland means they'll lose their majority and consequently their social/cultural/political power in Northern Ireland. Same ****e the Trump supporters/Confederate racists are worried about in the US.

A rocket has arrived

• Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Junkyard Tom

Suffice to say they Northern Ireland guys were completely pissed off by this

Cry me a river.
    flag that is commonly associated with the other nation?

You want a disgraced non-flag that Loyalists like to wrap themselves in flown in Ireland to represent them?

Forget it. There is no helping you - you want things to go backwards. The Ulster Rugby team is the province of Ulster. Go away and try to come up with an agreed NI Flag that isn't disgraced and loved by Unionists who celebrate murderers every summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,728 ✭✭✭eire4

Yes this was the final insult. We have two countries playing.
    Could you give me any justification why the flag of one country was flown and then the flag of a province was flown alongside it????
    The answer is clear. They just could not stomach a flag that had any association with Northern Ireland being flown.

Oh I would love to say what I know one of the Irish players said their coach when this happened. But I would be breaking confidence.

Suffice to say they Northern Ireland guys were completely pissed off by this

Nice bit of trolling in there with the countries comment.

The Ulster flag which represents all 9 counties of Ulster is flown so it represents everyone rather then just one group.

By the way love how you throw in claims with no proof because well of course you can't break confidence, convenient that. Personally I will take them with a very large pinch of salt.

So the programme for government has been released:

https://static.rasset.ie/documents/news/2020/06/programmeforgovernment-june2020-final.pdf

Page 104 is where the "Shared Island" section related to the "Unity Unit" starts.

Nothing too shocking, but enough there for Unionists to bloviate I'd imagine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

So you all agreed your program for United ireland or taking a leaf out if the SF/DUP book and bickering like children?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,831 ✭✭✭RobMc59

A friends Grandfather played for Linfield and Everton,won seven trophies and represented Ireland at international level.He is rightly proud of his Grandfather's football career and will be gutted to hear how his Grandfather's team is viewed by certain posters here.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,621 ✭✭✭Fionn1952

RobMc59 wrote: »
    A friends Grandfather played for Linfield and Everton,won seven trophies and represented Ireland at international level.He is rightly proud of his Grandfather's football career and will be gutted to hear how his Grandfather's team is viewed by certain posters here.

Who would that have been? I can't find any record of anyone who played for Linfield, Everton and had RoI international appearances, Rob. My search was by no means exhaustive though.

Acknowledging that Linfield have a very strong history of sectarianism is in no way a sleight on the man's playing career, and certainly not something I'd hold against him or his grandson. Burying your head in the sand and complaining that the grandson would be gutted doesn't make it any less true. Indeed, it is something the club had acknowledged issues with, and before the whole storm-in-a-teacup about the UVF colours jersey, seemed to be making some sort of inroads with.

I'd be very surprised if your friend had a significant interest in his grandfather's career and was totally unaware of how significant an Irish international playing for Linfield was then, and why.

You better keep him off the internet so. The factual history of Linfield resides there.
    Nuggets of sectarianism and bigotry saw their fans invade a pitch and break an opposing player's leg (I'm sure club management claimed it was a 'coincidence he was a taig') the opposing team withdrew from the competition.

Uefa also ruled at one point that your friend's grandfather's team play a home leg as far away as Holland to try to keep their vicious sectarian support away from a game.

Was your 'friend' unaware of the violent history?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,551 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

Still arguing about the past.

Yep, nothing changes.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,621 ✭✭✭Fionn1952

Yep, nothing changes.

Still contributing nothing but pointless, snide comments.

Yep, nothing changes.

• Advertisement

Yep, nothing changes.

It's the past for those partitionists who always ignored it Brendi, not so for my fellow Irish men and women sadly. All very current and needing addressing.
    https://www.irishnews.com/news/northernirelandnews/2020/06/16/news/umbro-issues-apology-and-distances-itself-from-linfield-fc-uvf-kit-1975161/

Players and managers can’t be held responsible for the actions of the supporters unless they actively incite hatred. Players come and go.

Viewed by certain posters? Linfield have long been associated with sectarian behaviour. That you didn’t know this until now well shows your lack of knowledge of Irish affairs.

Then again you thought it was justified for armed forces of the British state to go into Croke park and shoot randomly at spectators and players alike. I’m sure you’d get on well with sections of linfield supporters.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,831 ✭✭✭RobMc59

Fionn1952 wrote: »
    Who would that have been? I can't find any record of anyone who played for Linfield, Everton and had RoI international appearances, Rob. My search was by no means exhaustive though.

Acknowledging that Linfield have a very strong history of sectarianism is in no way a sleight on the man's playing career, and certainly not something I'd hold against him or his grandson. Burying your head in the sand and complaining that the grandson would be gutted doesn't make it any less true. Indeed, it is something the club had acknowledged issues with, and before the whole storm-in-a-teacup about the UVF colours jersey, seemed to be making some sort of inroads with.

I'd be very surprised if your friend had a significant interest in his grandfather's career and was totally unaware of how significant an Irish international playing for Linfield was then, and why.
    I've attached a link about the player-Alfred Ireland Harland.My friend,his Grandson is also mentioned in the link as he was also a professional footballer.He was a decent player back in the day-He is aware Linfield is a Protestant club.

http://www.linfieldfc.com/latestnews.aspx?id=22983

• Registered Users Posts: 957 ✭✭✭BloodyBill

Just a few observations from a lifelong rugby supporter from Munster. I come from a Fine Gael background. I'd be fairly conservative.
    Myself and a Limerick man watched the Irish rugby team walk out at the Olympic stadium in London. He says to me 'The Unionists wont be happy that they got shafted with the Ulster provincial GAA flag and we get our Tri colour.' I said I thought the official IRFU flag was grand. Its definitely a small minded effort by some eejit in the office up in Lansdowne Road.
    The second one about the Linfield Jersey. Well that's a funny one too. My brothers a farmer and we were out in a gym in the shed and we heard the sports news. 'Linfield wear UVF Colours'. Immediately I said what do you think of that. He said..' shouldn't be on the news'. Youd swear Linfield invented Purple and Orange. Even if they set put to copy the UVF colours..nobody should care. That's their business. I just want to reassure the Unionists boys on this forum. Most Southerners..below a line from Galway to Dublin...and theres a few million of us couldn't care less about the colours of Linfield and if the Irish team came out marching behind the Tricolor and the red and white Ulster flag we be grand with that. Less than 1 in 4 people vote for Sinn fein but they make about 75% of the noise.

I've attached a link about the player-Alfred Ireland Harland.My friend,his Grandson is also mentioned in the link as he was also a professional footballer.He was a decent player back in the day-He is aware Linfield is a Protestant club.

http://www.linfieldfc.com/latestnews.aspx?id=22983

At least he married a Looker!

Seriously Rob, your wee plaintive cry for sympathy for his grandson rings untrue...even a visit to Linfield's Wicki page will tell you what they club has been involved in over the years and where it's 'reputation' comes from and why nobody is buying the 'coincidence' excuse over their strip.

BloodyBill wrote: »
    Its definitely a small minded effort by some eejit in the office up in Lansdowne Road.

So not using the flag of the disgraced Unionist government that was stood down by the British themselves and is cherished by unionist paramilitary mass-murderers is small-minded?
    Most Southerners..below a line from Galway to Dublin...and theres a few million of us couldn't care less ... if the Irish team came out marching behind the Tricolor and the red and white Ulster flag we be grand with that.

I don't know what circles you move in, I live in Cork City, but I assure you that the Irish team walking behind that Loyalist rag would not go down well with the vast majority of Rugby fans. The Loyalist non-flag is rare enough to see when Ulster are playing in Belfast never mind inflicting it on the rest of us.

So not using the flag of the disgraced Unionist government that was stood down by the British themselves and is cherished by unionist paramilitary mass-murderers is small-minded?

I don't know what circles you move in, I live in Cork City, but I assure you that the Irish team walking behind that Loyalist rag would not go down well with the vast majority of Rugby fans.

What planet are you living on?

That flag would never be acceptable. Would be like telling South Africans to march behind the old South African flag to keep the white nutcases happy.

I don't know what circles you move in, I live in Cork City, but I assure you that the Irish team walking behind that Loyalist rag would not go down well with the vast majority of Rugby fans.

What planet are you living on?

'A world' where it's ok to call yourself after the bloodiest and most vicious Confederate the US has ever seen.
    Or is the nickname a 'coincidence' like the jersey? :)

'A world' where it's ok to call yourself after the bloodiest and most vicious Confederate the US has ever seen.
    Or is the nickname a 'coincidence' like the jersey? :)

Has dukes of hazard box set I’d say.

• Advertisement

Chooses Bloody Bill as a username, urges Irish people to be proud of the role some of us played in Britain's brutal empire, wouldn't have a problem with the Irish team marching behind the UVF's favourite flag.

Something ain't right..

Advertisement