Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How long before Irish reunification? (Part 2) Threadbans in OP

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 957 ✭✭✭BloodyBill

So not using the flag of the disgraced Unionist government that was stood down by the British themselves and is cherished by unionist paramilitary mass-murderers is small-minded?

I don't know what circles you move in, I live in Cork City, but I assure you that the Irish team walking behind that Loyalist rag would not go down well with the vast majority of Rugby fans. The Loyalist non-flag is rare enough to see when Ulster are playing in Belfast never mind inflicting it on the rest of us.

Shur Cork tried to put a stop to opening Croke Park to other sports. Corks got a nasty enough little group of armchair Republicans who have never set foot in Northern Ireland

• Registered Users Posts: 6,186 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

BloodyBill wrote: »
    Shur Cork tried to put a stop to opening Croke Park to other sports. Corks got a nasty enough little group of armchair Republicans who have never set foot in Northern Ireland

So nothing about the valid point actually raised about the flag? Are you the lad who brings the confederate flag to cork matches? Remember now it’s banned.

Chooses Bloody Bill as a username, urges Irish people to be proud of the role some of us played in Britain's brutal empire, wouldn't have a problem with the Irish team marching behind the UVF's favourite flag.

Something ain't right..

Everyone doesnt follow your World view Junky. Southern Ireland has diverse views. From Dublin to West Cork, Clare to Louth. You try to portray us all.as being Partitionists or Republicans. Theres many views inbetween.
    My username is an interesting character from the American war of Independence. A obscure enough figure that didnt follow the marjority narrative.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,727 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Everyone doesnt follow your World view Junky. Southern Ireland has diverse views. From Dublin to West Cork, Clare to Louth. You try to portray us all.as being Partitionists or Republicans. Theres many views inbetween.

Funny that. To ingratiate yourself you just told somebody that there wan't a 'diverse view' in southern Ireland, in fact you said:
    Most Southerners..below a line from Galway to Dublin...and theres a few million of us couldn't care less about the colours of Linfield and if the Irish team came out marching behind
    My username is an interesting character from the American war of Independence. A obscure enough figure that didnt follow the marjority narrative.
    I remember a certain infamous poster of fairly strident and belligerent Loyalist views who had a penchant for calling himself after famous Confederates. One wonders what the attraction and 'interest' is.

So nothing about the valid point actually raised about the flag? Are you the lad who brings the confederate flag to cork matches? Remember now it’s banned.

I'm not from Cork and I'd just wear my county jersey when I go to the hurling. I dont see a valid point. The Irish tricolour shouldn't be flown either. My preference would be the IRFU Flag on it's own. I can understand the sensitivity around the Northern Irish flag and the Tricolour. You've expressed your opinion but you fail to acknowledge the valid reluctance of the Ulster Unionists to walk behind a Provincial Flag associated with the GAA and the Tricolour. Can you see how they think their being ignored? It's not fair. Maybe in the future we ll have a totally new flag but until then we should have the IRFU flag only at the rugby and Hockey and the like.

• Advertisement

Funny that. To ingratiate yourself you just told somebody that there wan't a 'diverse view' in southern Ireland, in fact you said:

I remember a certain infamous poster of fairly strident and belligerent Loyalist views who had a penchant for calling himself after famous Confederates. One wonders what the attraction and 'interest' is.

Shur 37% of people in Ireland would support Fine Gael going by the Irish Times poll. Fine Gael dont particularly push a United Ireland. I'd say most Southern Protestants would vote FG.
    Youd want to take off the Tin foil hat and play the ball and not the man. I dont have to justify my views to you. I just give my view and I debate or give an opinion. It's not within your power to enquiry about my username ,back round ect.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,085 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

Just a few observations from a lifelong rugby supporter from Munster. I come from a Fine Gael background. I'd be fairly conservative.
    Myself and a Limerick man watched the Irish rugby team walk out at the Olympic stadium in London. He says to me 'The Unionists wont be happy that they got shafted with the Ulster provincial GAA flag and we get our Tri colour.' I said I thought the official IRFU flag was grand. Its definitely a small minded effort by some eejit in the office up in Lansdowne Road.
    The second one about the Linfield Jersey. Well that's a funny one too. My brothers a farmer and we were out in a gym in the shed and we heard the sports news. 'Linfield wear UVF Colours'. Immediately I said what do you think of that. He said..' shouldn't be on the news'. Youd swear Linfield invented Purple and Orange. Even if they set put to copy the UVF colours..nobody should care. That's their business. I just want to reassure the Unionists boys on this forum. Most Southerners..below a line from Galway to Dublin...and theres a few million of us couldn't care less about the colours of Linfield and if the Irish team came out marching behind the Tricolor and the red and white Ulster flag we be grand with that. Less than 1 in 4 people vote for Sinn fein but they make about 75% of the noise.

What's an "Ulster GAA Flag"?

Shur 37% of people in Ireland would support Fine Gael going by the Irish Times poll. Fine Gael dont particularly push a United Ireland. I'd say most Southern Protestants would vote FG.
    Youd want to take off the Tin foil hat and play the ball and not the man. I dont have to justify my views to you. I just give my view and I debate or give an opinion. It's not within your power to enquiry about my username ,back round ect.

37% is most people?

:) Maths not a strong point like a few others here who claimed 42% is a 'vast majority'.

Why so protective about your username that you freely admitted was taken from a vicious Confederate.
    No skin off my nose, I find your use of it as 'interesting' as you find the the man.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Junkyard Tom

Maybe in the future we ll have a totally new flag but until then we should have the IRFU flag only at the rugby and Hockey and the like.

Unionists have no interest in anything all-Ireland when it comes to flags, you'd think you'd know that with your Unionists sympathies.

When Unionists show an interest in Ireland as one nation they are welcome to have their views on flags etc considered, until then they can content themselves with pretending the six counties are as British as Finchley.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,186 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

Well FG just signed up to a United Ireland division in the draft programme for govt. As to whether it amounts to anything is another issue. All Southern Protestants don’t want a United Ireland? News to me. Although if you listen to others on here you’d think we have no Protestants down south at all.

• Advertisement

37% is most people?

:) Maths not a strong point like a few others here who claimed 42% is a 'vast majority'.

Why so protective about your username that you freely admitted was taken from a vicious Confederate.
    No skin off my nose, I find your use of it as 'interesting' as you find the the man.

My username is Bloody Bill Cunningham. He wasnt a Confederate you simpleton

Well FG just signed up to a United Ireland division in the draft programme for govt. As to whether it amounts to anything is another issue. All Southern Protestants don’t want a United Ireland? News to me. Although if you listen to others on here you’d think we have no Protestants down south at all.

Ah its tokenism. Southern Protestants, at least the ones I know and I wouldnt know them all ,they wouldnt be pushed on a United Ireland.
    I agree with you. Youd swear we had no Protestants at all. But in fairness they keep their heads down as they have done since the foundation of the State. That's shown in the way that they are under represented in the Guards ect

• Closed Accounts Posts: 180 ✭✭Lord Fairlord

downcow wrote: »
    GAA has a long way to go to become inclusive and diverse. If those in control in the GAA have similar views to many of the posters on here, then I despair.
    You cannot fix something if you do not even realise that it's broken

https://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/sport/gaa/its-not-political-its-about-racism-i-was-so-angry--antrim-ladies-footballer-dahunsi-calls-on-gaa-for-support-1004239.html

Thankfully there are some more progressive and more aware voices in there
    here is what of them tweeted today
    She tweeted: “Very disappointed with the lack of response by the GAA, LGFA and Camogie assoc to the anti-racism movement. Missed opportunity to pledge to further promote an inclusive environment. Citing being a ‘non-political organisation’ not good enough when basic human rights at issue.

This is very healthy when someone has the balls to stand up to the sectarian racist bigots who are in control. Fair play to her

The "anti-racism" movement in Ireland is in large part a vehicle to shame and silence people who have a problem with mass migration.

:) So second time I mention Bloody Bill Anderson the Conferate you decide to tell us it is an equally unsavory Bloody Bill, loyal to the British Crown who earned his nickname "Bloody Bill" for the violent, ruthless nature of his raids on rebels and patriot civilians.

Lovely interests you have.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Junkyard Tom

But in fairness they keep their heads down as they have done since the foundation of the State. That's shown in the way that they are under represented in the Guards ect

Protestants fared well in Ireland after the British were booted out of most of it. For a post-colonial society there was remarkable restraint in the south post partition.

Unfortunately the same can't be said for your unionists friends in the north who ran Catholics out of their places of employment and killed them in the hundreds including the RUC/USC throwing a bomb at a group of children killing 6 of them.

So the programme for government has been released:

https://static.rasset.ie/documents/news/2020/06/programmeforgovernment-june2020-final.pdf

Page 104 is where the "Shared Island" section related to the "Unity Unit" starts.

Nothing too shocking, but enough there for Unionists to bloviate I'd imagine.

So we have a tangible statement in the PfG about the wishes for a shared united Ireland and nothing at all from the Partitionists who normally harp on about how "no one in the South wants a UI". It's almost like they were talking rubbish.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,285 ✭✭✭jh79

So we have a tangible statement in the PfG about the wishes for a shared united Ireland and nothing at all from the Partitionists who normally harp on about how "no one in the South wants a UI". It's almost like they were talking rubbish.

20+ years later and we are going to have a look at the logistics of an UI in a so far undefined manner. As a barometer of the want of an UI in the republic, i'd be disappointed as a republican. That section of the PfG has barely got a mention in the media either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

You better keep him off the internet so. The factual history of Linfield resides there.
    Nuggets of sectarianism and bigotry saw their fans invade a pitch and break an opposing player's leg (I'm sure club management claimed it was a 'coincidence he was a taig') the opposing team withdrew from the competition.

Uefa also ruled at one point that your friend's grandfather's team play a home leg as far away as Holland to try to keep their vicious sectarian support away from a game.

Was your 'friend' unaware of the violent history?

and one day in band camp....

jh79 wrote: »
    20+ years later and we are going to have a look at the logistics of an UI in a so far undefined manner. As a barometer of the want of an UI in the republic, i'd be disappointed as a republican. That section of the PfG has barely got a mention in the media either.

So?

Of course it's undefined. That's the point of the the bloody unit.

Media coverage is obviously going to be dominated by other issues.

Thank you for being so predictable in your response.

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    and one day in band camp....

What are you on about now?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,629 ✭✭✭✭downcow

Oh deary me.
    Man City are now designing their shirts in the Uvf colours. And they have even got a sash.
    Dirty orange barstewarts
    https://www.prodirectsoccer.com/p/nike-manchester-city-2018-19-vapor-match-3rd-ss-shirt-mens-replica-shirts-night-purple-188695/?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIuc_q4o2H6gIVQvhRCh3mzwkmEAQYAiABEgJ4Y_D_BwE

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,629 ✭✭✭Fionn1952

A man famed for a series of vicious massacres to maintain British rule in a land they colonised, including attacks on civilians.....your inspirations are certainly telling.

Oh deary me.
    Man City are now designing their shirts in the Uvf colours. And they have even got a sash.
    Dirty orange barstewarts
    https://www.prodirectsoccer.com/p/nike-manchester-city-2018-19-vapor-match-3rd-ss-shirt-mens-replica-shirts-night-purple-188695/?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIuc_q4o2H6gIVQvhRCh3mzwkmEAQYAiABEgJ4Y_D_BwE

downcow...don't make a bigger disingenuous fool of yourself over this. Everyone knows it wasn't a co-incidence.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭eire4

you and Eire4 are doing it again. I was very clear that I do not support Linfield, or for that matter any Irish league team.
    I am not interested in scrolling back to get the verbatim, but as soon as I said I supported Chelsea (loosely), Eire4 said something along the lines of - isn't it interesting that Chelsea is also a racist team.
    So you guys can stop dancing around suggesting nothing was implied.

I haven't heard anybody deal with the racism and the GAA. My local club got hammered recently for giving serious abuse to a young black player and I see you guys are in the press again today for your treatment of a young BAME one who is trying to play gaa but taking serious abuse because of her colour.

I think you should forget about Chelsea get your own house in order

Nothing implied at all. You mentioned that you support Chelsea and I simply stated that is interesting as also Chelsea are well know to have a racist core support just like Linfield. That is simply the way things that Chelsea are well know for having a far right racist core support base. I am not implying anything by that just stating what is the case and your certainly as I replied earlier well entitled to support such a team that's your personal preference.

downcow...don't make a bigger disingenuous fool of yourself over this. Everyone knows it wasn't a co-incidence.

So Francie, I am curious, do you think it was coincidence that man city chose the exact same shirt?

Where did our poster go that was going to offer gems that would prove that the linfield board and supporters selected these colours to honour the UVF.
    He seems to have gone to ground. And now man city have exactly the same shirt.

Francie thinks if you repeat something often enough it becomes true. Unfortunately this story is unravelling for the super-observant Republicans

• Registered Users Posts: 4,831 ✭✭✭RobMc59

Where did our poster go that was going to offer gems that would prove that the linfield board and supporters selected these colours to honour the UVF.
    He seems to have gone to ground. And now man city have exactly the same shirt.

Francie thinks if you repeat something often enough it becomes true. Unfortunately this story is unravelling for the super-observant Republicans

Their tin foil hats have fell off!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,831 ✭✭✭RobMc59

eire4 wrote: »
    Nothing implied at all. You mentioned that you support Chelsea and I simply stated that is interesting as also Chelsea are well know to have a racist core support just like Linfield. That is simply the way things that Chelsea are well know for having a far right racist core support base. I am not implying anything by that just stating what is the case and your certainly as I replied earlier well entitled to support such a team that's your personal preference.

Chelsea do have a small amount of undesirable hooligan fans but the club itself based in affluent west London is actually well respected.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭eire4

RobMc59 wrote: »
    Chelsea do have an undesirable following of hooligans but the club itself based in affluent west London is actually well respected.

The club has a core support base that is far right and racist that is common knowledge.

• Advertisement

I think we should worry about our own far right Republicans who were at it again last night
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-53067729

They normally up the anti at this time of the year and blame the marching. No marching this year so I don't know what they are going to use to mask their sectarian agenda to drive Unionists out?

Advertisement