Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How long before Irish reunification? (Part 2) Threadbans in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,621 ✭✭✭Fionn1952

downcow wrote: »
    I think we should worry about our own far right Republicans who were at it again last night
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-53067729

They normally up the anti at this time of the year and blame the marching. No marching this year so I don't know what they are going to use to mask their sectarian agenda to drive Unionists out?

Fifteen years with no problems, I'd wonder what changed. It's not like the neighbours decided to wait the fifteen years only to suddenly decide to force the family out.

Either way, whoever did this should be prosecuted to the full extent of the law. If it was a sectarian attack, as is suspected at the moment, I'd certainly like to see the local community offer support to the family and encourage them to stay and feel safe in the place they've made their home for fifteen years without trouble.

To connect it to the marching season seems like a stretch though, unless you know more on the story than highlighted in the article.

RobMc59 wrote: »
    I've attached a link about the player-Alfred Ireland Harland.My friend,his Grandson is also mentioned in the link as he was also a professional footballer.He was a decent player back in the day-He is aware Linfield is a Protestant club.

http://www.linfieldfc.com/latestnews.aspx?id=22983

I missed this on the first run through, Rob. Thanks for the link.

I do see his Ireland caps were when there was still only one Ireland team, and don't know anything of the man's background to know if he would've played for the Republic of Ireland team post 1924 or if he was a British-identifying man from the North, who would've chosen to line out for the NI team. If the latter, the Linfield time is less surprising.

The topic did lead to me finding Tommy Breen and Davy Walsh, who were both RoI men who played for Linfield in the 40s though.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,085 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

So Francie, I am curious, do you think it was coincidence that man city chose the exact same shirt?

Is this today's talking point on OWC to refute the bigotry allegations against Linfield?

You're really dragging this out for someone who doesn't support an Irish team.

You see, they're not the exact same and Manchester City aren't known for their anti-Nationalist bigoted sectarian support base.

For example, I'm an NFL fan and the Denver Broncos are the team that I follow/support.

Our colours are orange and blue and we changed our home uniform to an orange one be a few years back.

There is a pre-match tradition whereby a cowboy (it's actually a lady), gallops out on the pitch wearing an orange jacket on a white horse.

I'm sure you can see where I'm going with this...

Further to that, one of the taglines used by the team to foment support is "UNITED IN ORANGE".

Now, I think it's pretty funny and all of this could be construed as offensive, if say it was Glentoran doing it at the Oval, but it's not.

It's an NFL team in Denver.

And that's the difference between an Irish team seemingly "accidentally" coming up with a jersey that looks like a terrorist's flag and a team in Manchester owned by Arabs using a purple base for third shirt.

Their 3rd shirt this year is paisley. That could be offensive to some.

Chelsea do have a small amount of undesirable hooligan fans but the club itself based in affluent west London is actually well respected.

Well respected by whom?

They're derided as a plastic team by most, just like Manchester City and RB Leipzig.

And that's on top of their infamously racist core support.

Anyway back to the Unity unit...

• Registered Users Posts: 11,626 ✭✭✭✭downcow

Oh deary me.
    Man City are now designing their shirts in the Uvf colours. And they have even got a sash.
    Dirty orange barstewarts
    https://www.prodirectsoccer.com/p/nike-manchester-city-2018-19-vapor-match-3rd-ss-shirt-mens-replica-shirts-night-purple-188695/?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIuc_q4o2H6gIVQvhRCh3mzwkmEAQYAiABEgJ4Y_D_BwE

• Advertisement

Fionn1952 wrote: »
    I missed this on the first run through, Rob. Thanks for the link.

I do see his Ireland caps were when there was still only one Ireland team, and don't know anything of the man's background to know if he would've played for the Republic of Ireland team post 1924 or if he was a British-identifying man from the North, who would've chosen to line out for the NI team. If the latter, the Linfield time is less surprising.

The topic did lead to me finding Tommy Breen and Davy Walsh, who were both RoI men who played for Linfield in the 40s though.

One of our (Shelbourne) former managers, Pat Fenlon played for Linfield and is currently working for Linfield last I heard.

A good few "southerners" have played for Linfield.

These things don't change the fact that Linfield have a core sectarian support and stupidly let this shirt out.

Anyway, back to the Unity unit...

Oh deary me.
    Man City are now designing their shirts in the Uvf colours. And they have even got a sash.
    Dirty orange barstewarts
    https://www.prodirectsoccer.com/p/nike-manchester-city-2018-19-vapor-match-3rd-ss-shirt-mens-replica-shirts-night-purple-188695/?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIuc_q4o2H6gIVQvhRCh3mzwkmEAQYAiABEgJ4Y_D_BwE

We didn't miss it an hour ago. I responded above.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,186 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

One of our (Shelbourne) former managers, Pat Fenlon played for Linfield and is currently working for Linfield last I heard.

A good few "southerners" have played for Linfield.

These things don't change the fact that Linfield have a core sectarian support and stupidly let this shirt out.

Anyway, back to the Unity unit...

Footballers will play where they get the best deal at a particular time in their career. It’s their job. Like anyone playing soccer in Ireland the goal is to get a professional contract usually in Britain though with the competition nowadays that’s tough to get for the top division teams. USA and Australia are becoming more popular now too.

Umbro running a mile from it says it all. For a jersey manufacturer to denounce their own jersey is almost unheard of. Linfield haven’t opened their mouth since the Umbro statement funnily enough.

I didn’t repost. Don’t know what happened

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 69,156 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Coincidence?

Coincidence?

Happened to me earlier today too. Must be some boards glitch.

Happened to me earlier today too. Must be some boards glitch.

Just having a giggle. Boards has been doing strange things for a while now.

Fair enough.

Yeah, it happens alright sometimes.

Footballers will play where they get the best deal at a particular time in their career. It’s their job. Like anyone playing soccer in Ireland the goal is to get a professional contract usually in Britain though with the competition nowadays that’s tough to get for the top division teams. USA and Australia are becoming more popular now too.

Exactly. So it doesn't dilute the inherent sectarian nature of some supporters of a team like Linfield when Dubs play for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 957 ✭✭✭BloodyBill

Fionn1952 wrote: »
    A man famed for a series of vicious massacres to maintain British rule in a land they colonised, including attacks on civilians.....your inspirations are certainly telling.

A famed and misunderstood man. Ruthless and resourceful. A complex character. I wouldnt be so quick to label him.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Junkyard Tom

BloodyBill wrote: »
    A famed and misunderstood man. Ruthless and resourceful. A complex character. I wouldnt be so quick to label him.

A bit like Brendan 'Darkie' Hughes then?

Hughes was an excellent military strategist and was key to the IRA's early success in Belfast against the British Army especially in and around the Falls Road area of Belfast, sometimes carrying out along with his unit as many as five military operations a day against either the British Army or RUC.

wikipedia.org

eire4 wrote: »
    Nothing implied at all. You mentioned that you support Chelsea and I simply stated that is interesting as also Chelsea are well know to have a racist core support just like Linfield. That is simply the way things that Chelsea are well know for having a far right racist core support base. I am not implying anything by that just stating what is the case and your certainly as I replied earlier well entitled to support such a team that's your personal preference.

Do you think with a handle like yours that you should give a wee bit more consideration to challenge the racism in you beloved country rather than deflecting to football teams in neighbouring countries - its what few do on here with their sectarianism.

This might encourage you
    https://www.facebook.com/257558294273180/posts/3578459532183023?sfns=mo

Do you think with a handle like yours that you should give a wee bit more consideration to challenge the racism in you beloved country rather than deflecting to football teams in neighbouring countries - its what few do on here with their sectarianism.

This might encourage you
    https://www.facebook.com/257558294273180/posts/3578459532183023?sfns=mo

Your biggest celebration every July is of an event in a ‘neighbouring country’. Perhaps you need to focus on the endemic sectarianism this event caused.

Every country has a racism problem. The British empire like all colonialism was built on slavery and raping countries in Africa/Asia of their natural resources. It’s right statues of people who profited from human misery are being dismantled and a debate is being had. There was a commentator on bbc last night who was saying that the teaching of history in Britain is like a fairytale and no mention of the horrendous suffering colonialism caused.

In the republic by and large there is minimal racist violence and there has been large changes in Irish society in the last 30 years. When I was growing up it was virtually all white everywhere I went. This has thankfully changed considerably.I remember watching Ireland b v England b in cork in the late 80’s I think and Tony Daley a black player got awful abuse from some clowns. That would never happen today. By and large we are a very welcoming people. We had our first black footballer in 1979 in Chris hughton and arguably our best ever player Paul McGrath was loved by all. We also in recent years have had some great athletes representing us. Plenty more work needs to be done but we have made huge strides in recent years.

Your biggest celebration every July is of an event in a ‘neighbouring country’. Perhaps you need to focus on the endemic sectarianism this event caused.

In the republic by and large there is minimal racist violence and there has been large changes in Irish society in the last 30 years. When I was growing up it was virtually all white everywhere I went. This has thankfully changed considerably.I remember watching Ireland b v England b in cork in the late 80’s I think and Tony Daley a black player got awful abuse from some clowns. That would never happen today. By and large we are a very welcoming people. We had our first black footballer in 1979 in Chris hughton and arguably our best ever player Paul McGrath was loved by all. We also in recent years have had some great athletes representing us. Plenty more work needs to be done but we have made huge strides in recent years.

This is very disappointing post. This is why bame are suffering so much. Complete denial of reality.

First thing you need to do is get a reality check on the makeup of your country. Black people make up 1% of ROI population. So if you walk into a random room of 40 people, the odds are not one will be black. If there is 100 people then the odds are there will be 1 black person. But you have yourself convinced you live in a country with lots of black people.
    You need to think, if you lived in a country that was 1 white would you make the same comment?
    You have white privilege.
    I also have white privilege but I understand it.

I thought I would check racist attacks in ROI and whats astounding is not that they are on the increase but rather that your gov keeps no stats and has no strategy for monitoring attacks on Non- whites. That is astounding in this day.
    I think your people should talk to our people in ni to get some help and guidance on the matter.
    There is racism alive and well in ni, but I don’t try to airbrush it out of existence.

• Advertisement

This is very disappointing post. This is why bame are suffering so much. Complete denial of reality.

First thing you need to do is get a reality check on the makeup of your country. Black people make up 1% of ROI population. So if you walk into a random room of 40 people, the odds are not one will be black. If there is 100 people then the odds are there will be 1 black person. But you have yourself convinced you live in a country with lots of black people.
    You need to think, if you lived in a country that was 1 white would you make the same comment?

I thought I would check racist attacks in ROI and whats astounding is not that they are on the increase but rather that your gov keeps no stats and has no strategy for monitoring attacks on Non- whites. That is astounding in this day.
    I think your people should talk to our people in ni to get some help and guidance on the matter.
    There is racism alive and well in ni, but I don’t try to airbrush it out of existence.

Nobody has denied there is a problem with racist attacks and racist opinion here We have never been called the 'Race Hate Capital Of Europe' though.
    https://www.google.com/search?q=Race+Hate+Capital+Of+Europe&oq=Race+Hate+Capital+Of+Europe&aqs=chrome..69i57j69i60.1499j0j7&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

You are quite clearly deluded. Where did I say that there wasn’t a racism problem? Of course you mention nothing of the empire and it’s pitiful racist history.

Compared to the 80’s Ireland is a very multicultural nation. All our multinational investment is testament to same. There are a lot of countries in between Ireland and predominantly black countries so obviously our percentage is not as high.

BloodyBill wrote: »

There were plenty of ruthless and resourceful people across history who were also murdering b*stards.

Our inspirations in life do tend to reflect ourselves and our own ideals and values though.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,831 ✭✭✭RobMc59

Nobody has denied there is a problem with racist attacks and racist opinion here We have never been called the 'Race Hate Capital Of Europe' though.
    https://www.google.com/search?q=Race+Hate+Capital+Of+Europe&oq=Race+Hate+Capital+Of+Europe&aqs=chrome..69i57j69i60.1499j0j7&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

The Ballbriggan race wars and vicious attack on a Garda in Drogheda springs to mind.

All this ranting and ignoring that NI has an 80% lower black population per capita....

The Ballbriggan race wars and vicious attack on a Garda in Drogheda springs to mind.

I'm sure they do Rob.

Was there a point you wanted to make?

I'm sure they do Rob.

Was there a point you wanted to make?

Would be interested to know that too. We live in hope.

Would be interested to know that too. We live in hope.

Sh*t happens everywhere is the point I'm trying to point out.

Sh*t happens everywhere is the point I'm trying to point out.

And those incidents are what spring to mind for you? Not say the Tottenham riots?

• Advertisement

And those incidents are what spring to mind for you? Not say the Tottenham riots?

Tottenham,toxteth,ballbriggan,bundoran.

Advertisement