Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How long before Irish reunification? (Part 2) Threadbans in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,626 ✭✭✭✭downcow

What province and county is Brookfield in?

I am learning this. Leinster is my default province that I can remember. Then I have to just remember that the famine was in connaught, and that leaves me with just munster, so it must be down at the bottom.

Can I guess county Dublin. You'll enjoy this Francie, I can't remember why, but recently I asked someone from Dublin what county Dublin was in? I now know how silly the question was. And hence my guess of Co Dublin.

I didn't claim you weren't native to Ireland I suggested you can't abide the native language. You're welcome to be part of the Irish nation - maybe some time in the next three hundred years you'll feel proud to be part of the Irish nation.

So what exactly is the native language, and what makes it native?. Were the languages spoken earlier not native?

Your biggest celebration every July is of an event in a ‘neighbouring country’. Perhaps you need to focus on the endemic sectarianism this event caused.

Every country has a racism problem. The British empire like all colonialism was built on slavery and raping countries in Africa/Asia of their natural resources. .

Was Ireland involved in the slave trade? Did Ireland take slaves for their benefit? Were there even slaves in Ireland?
    you painting this picture about being squeaky clean. More denial

• Registered Users Posts: 69,159 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

downcow wrote: »
    I am learning this. Leinster is my default county that I can remember. Then I have to just remember that the famine was in connaught, and that leaves me with just munster, so it must be down at the bottom.

Can I guess county Dublin. You'll enjoy this Francie, I can't remember why, but recently I asked someone from Dublin what county Dublin was in? I now know how silly the question was. And hence my guess of Co Dublin.

Again, as previously mentioned, this rings untrue of somebody working for an all Ireland body travelling to Dublin several times a year and with colleagues in a few places.

Again, as previously mentioned, this rings untrue of somebody working for an all Ireland body travelling to Dublin several times a year and with colleagues in a few places.

As you live your life, you dread your neighbour's

My mum had it spot on!

Not even going to waste my breath evidencing this any more

• Advertisement

As you live your life, you dread your neighbour's

My mum had it spot on!

Not even going to waste my breath evidencing this any more

You always know just enough about the south to have a dig downcow...funny that.

Perish the thought you'd get lost on your way to Dublin....you might have to read a signpost with Irish on it!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Junkyard Tom

So what exactly is the native language, and what makes it native?. Were the languages spoken earlier not native?

This is so typical of the anti-Irish unionists' seething hatred of the language because it's associated with those they define themselves as being in opposition to. Trying to downplay the importance of a language that was colonised out of the population.

It's all around you. The vast majority of the place names were bad English translations of the native ones. Below is an image of the towns beginning with 'Bally'- which is derived from the native language - 'baile n' meaning 'place of'.

516798.png

• Registered Users Posts: 6,728 ✭✭✭eire4

Do you think with a handle like yours that you should give a wee bit more consideration to challenge the racism in you beloved country rather than deflecting to football teams in neighbouring countries - its what few do on here with their sectarianism.

This might encourage you
    https://www.facebook.com/257558294273180/posts/3578459532183023?sfns=mo

Brilliant even by your standards of what about and to use your word deflection that was a great effort.

My first comment regarded your defense of Linfield's new away jersey which panders to their far right racist core base. When you mentioned being a Chelsea supporter I commented that is interesting as Chelsea like Linfield are very well know for having a far right racist core base. Simple as that. As I said more then once of course your entitled to support whatever football team you so desire.

I do not get into discussions typically with yourself due to your behaviour which reminds me of the Trump apologist Jeffrey Lord who used to appear on CNN until one night Anderson Cooper said if Trump took a dump on the desk you would still defend him.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,085 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

Okay Bonnie, you beat Iceland on the multicultural stakes (and maybe the following island as well) - as we would say up north - put the flags out

You said this:
    I would hazard a guess that Ireland is the least multicultural nation in Europe and one of the least the world.
    Would you disagree?

Baffled how you could refer to it as a very multicultural nation

So my task was to come up with a country that was less "multicultural". That's all.

I'm sure there's others that will easily best out Ireland.

We're not Singapore or India or even England, but by gum, we're not the "least multicultural nation in Europe" as you stated. That's the height of all that needed to be disproven.

If you want to define a criterion then please do and we can discuss that going forward.

Yeah I think Jobstown is basically the same place

Ah sound. :)

I wasn't trying to catch you out, I was genuinely curious.

Next time you're down you'll not be far from the local. I'll buy you a shandy.

• Advertisement

Always? I don't think I have mentioned very many friends, but I absolutely do have one who works in Brookfield/Jobstown.

This is from Francie who even claims to be married to a Unionist

Do you want me to describe Brookfield to you. I be in it meeting him at least a couple of times a year. Francie I think I have said before that my mom had a great saying - as you live your life, you dread your neighbour's. If I can translate for you, basically it means if you are a fairly trustworthy person you are likely to trust others, if you are a rogue you're likely to see others as rogues.
    I don't expect posters on here to rush to the unionist's defence, but I hope they all realise that I stick to the truth. Of course we may present it differently depending on where we are coming from. But if I was to say I had a colleague in Brookfield and I didn't, well that would just be a blatant lie. I don't do blatant lies

Francie's married to a left footer.

Protestant =/= Unionist any more than Catholic =/= Nationalist

I am learning this. Leinster is my default province that I can remember. Then I have to just remember that the famine was in connaught, and that leaves me with just munster, so it must be down at the bottom.

You're guessing now?

You were definitive in saying it was in "West Dublin" earlier.

Now, as an FYI, no one would call Tallaght west Dublin, though, someone looking on Google maps say, would probably refer to it thusly as it is west-ish of the city.

You're guessing now?

You were definitive in saying it was in "West Dublin" earlier.

Now, as an FYI, no one would call Tallaght west Dublin, though, someone looking on Google maps say, would probably refer to it thusly as it is west-ish of the city.

Well all I know is in the circles I move the centre based in Brookfield is often referred to as “west Dublin”.

Ah sound. :)

I wasn't trying to catch you out, I was genuinely curious.

Next time you're down you'll not be far from the local. I'll buy you a shandy.

Well it’s always day visits and a few of us northerners travelling together so I won’t be able to take up your kind offer.
    So tell me, am I right, is there communities withdrawing to cul de sacs I’m told African in one Asians in another, travellers in another.
    I’m told the local basketball court is really Africans only. And I’m told the Asians are the bottom of the pile and pretty scared.
    Seems whites and Africans have best relationship but some other groups really keep there heads down.
    And this is not a dig (this time) at ireland. Every big city has these issues.
    I hear some very personal stories from this worker that would break your heart. Particularly how the Asians are livening.

And yes the three names are interchanged in discussions. Brookfield, jobstown and west Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Junkyard Tom

I'd like the neutral readers of the thread to note how DC very deliberately ignores my suggestion that Unionists, Nationalists, and others, sit down together and in the spirit of friendship come up with a new flag and anthem that everyone is happy with.

DC likes to think of himself as a moderate but if you scratch the surface the cultural spite is plain to see.

I'd like the neutral readers of the thread to note how DC very deliberately ignores my suggestion that Unionists, Nationalists, and others, sit down together and in the spirit of friendship come up with a new flag and anthem that everyone is happy with.

DC likes to think of himself as a moderate but if you scratch the surface the cultural spite is plain to see.

I’m not ignoring you junkyard. How could I
    Where are you suggesting a new flag and anthem for?
    If it is Northern Ireland then I would very much welcome sitting down with reps of all communities here to discuss same.
    It could be really exciting to have all the newcomers represented. I would be sooo happy if we had a flag and anthem for those great Windsor nights that everyone felt a connection to and ownership of.
    I’ll be honest. I am surprised that you are suggesting this. Gives me hope for the future.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,728 ✭✭✭eire4

I have always been partial to the 4 provinces flag myself and would be happy to see that be the national flag of Ireland after Reunification.

eire4 wrote: »
    I have always been partial to the 4 provinces flag myself and would be happy to see that be the national flag of Ireland after Reunification.

Same. There's no better neutral symbol we have.

Well, the harp is there. And of course the shamrock. I'm sure we can find issues with this proposal.

The ordering of the provinces on same perhaps?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,300 ✭✭✭✭jm08

Was Ireland involved in the slave trade? Did Ireland take slaves for their benefit? Were there even slaves in Ireland?
    you painting this picture about being squeaky clean. More denial

The Hibernian Anti-Slavery Society collected 70,000 signatures in Ireland in the 1840s.

Daniel O'Connell played a fine part in the abolition of slavery in both the British Empire and the US.

https://irishamerica.com/2011/08/the-irish-abolitionist-daniel-oconnell/

Well worth a read - in the US he is regarded as the most important abolitionist of the age (presumably because of his oratory skills and his grassroots approach).

• Registered Users Posts: 11,300 ✭✭✭✭jm08

Not a hope, too many colours, too fussy and expensive to reproduce. It would only be a compromise. You need something better than that. A child should easily be able to draw a recognisable flag and any symbols on it should be simple.

• Advertisement

jm08 wrote: »
    The Hibernian Anti-Slavery Society collected 70,000 signatures in Ireland in the 1840s.

Daniel O'Connell played a fine part in the abolition of slavery in both the British Empire and the US.

Well worth a read - in the US he is regarded as the most important abolitionist of the age (presumably because of his oratory skills and his grassroots approach).

Don't forget Roger Casement bringing attention to the horror in the Belgian Congo.

Not a hope, too many colours, too fussy and expensive to reproduce. It would only be a compromise. You need something better than that. A child should easily be able to draw a recognisable flag and any symbols on it should be simple.

I've had a huge interest in vexillology and heraldry since I was a kid and while it is laudable to have simple symbols to represent your people that are "easy for a child to draw", the priority is that the symbols have a value and a weight to the groupings that they represent and in the Irish case the Four Provinces flag easily achieves this.

Symbolism > that simplicity in this case for me.

I try to imagine myself standing in Croker or Lansdowne and seeing the Tricolour flying and replacing that image with the FPF and tbh, I would have no issue there.

In fact, despite its provenance, I have a soft spot for the St Patrick's Saltire also.

If you're replacing a symbol held dear, you need to make sure that you don't alienate the people you're trying to represent.

Why do people so often quote my question and the answer an entirely different question?

If you have something to say then that’s fine but why quote me?

Are you guys thinking junkyard means a sporting anthem and flag for the irfu team rather than NI anthem/flag?
    If that’s the case all my previous points apply. I would be very keen and very happy to cooperate on such. I actually think the vast major of Unionists would be very keen.
    Of course I guess that realisation will put junkyard off the idea as he usually works on the precept that if unionists want it he must oppose it

Anyone know if Blaaz is ok? I am worried about him!
    He had offered gems of evidence on linfield choosing Uvf colours if he was PM’d. Since I PM’d him he has disappeared. I hope I have not made him ill.

I wonder would he have similar gems on the catholic school principal who is now circulating on social media after appearing on bbc yesterday in a Uvf coloured tracksuit - very inconsiderate.
    That’s on top of Stephen farry getting his degree in a Uvf coloured gown and Man City showing their leanings with their own Uvf shirt c/w orange sash.

I am also disappointed at the Apprentice Boys deciding to use Uvf colours - especially since they took the decision 100 years before the Uvf existed. You’d think they could put their powers of clairvoyance to better use

I hope blaaz is recovered soon to put all this to rights

# update. Thankfully Blaaz is alive and well and posting on other threads. He is maybe just counting his gems or magic beans. No doubt he will deliver them as promised very soon

Anyone know if Blaaz is ok? I am worried about him!
    He had offered gems of evidence on linfield choosing Uvf colours if he was PM’d. Since I PM’d him he has disappeared. I hope I have not made him ill.

I wonder would he have similar gems on the catholic school principal who is now circulating on social media after appearing on bbc yesterday in a Uvf coloured tracksuit - very inconsiderate.
    That’s on top of Stephen farry getting his degree in a Uvf coloured gown and Man City showing their leanings with their own Uvf shirt c/w orange sash.

I am also disappointed at the Apprentice Boys deciding to use Uvf colours - especially since they took the decision 100 years before the Uvf existed. You’d think they could put their powers of clairvoyance to better use

I hope blaaz is recovered soon to put all this to rights

# update. Thankfully Blaaz is alive and well and posting on other threads. He is maybe just counting his gems or magic beans. No doubt he will deliver them as promised very soon

WHat you don't seem to be getting and what you are hiding behind (as usual) is the fact that no-one has said this colour combo is unique.
    What we are dismissing and what Umbro are not buying is that a club with a history of sectarian taunting and bigotry did this 'by coincidence'. Stephen Farry, Man City do not have a history of sectarian taunting and bigotry. Linfield do.

Nobody is buying it downcow. Once again your defense of this gives the lie to the moderate image you try to promote.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,831 ✭✭✭RobMc59

WHat you don't seem to be getting and what you are hiding behind (as usual) is the fact that no-one has said this colour combo is unique.
    What we are dismissing and what Umbro are not buying is that a club with a history of sectarian taunting and bigotry did this 'by coincidence'. Stephen Farry, Man City do not have a history of sectarian taunting and bigotry. Linfield do.

Nobody is buying it downcow. Once again your defense of this gives the lie to the moderate image you try to promote.

Francie, are you really that sensitive to be irreparably traumatized by Linfields kit?
    I suspect otherwise and the old saying 'making a mountain out of a molehill' comes to mind.

RobMc59 wrote: »
    Francie, are you really that sensitive to be irreparably traumatized by Linfields kit?
    I suspect otherwise and the old saying 'making a mountain out of a molehill' comes to mind.

Trivialising sectarian taunting when it comes from the Loyalist/Unionist side Rob? Colour me surprised that you'd be doing that.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,831 ✭✭✭RobMc59

Trivialising sectarian taunting when it comes from the Loyalist/Unionist side Rob? Colour me surprised that you'd be doing that.

Sectarianism isn't generally a problem here in England Francie and I couldn't care less whether a person is Catholic or Protestant.I suspect that is becoming the general consensus in NI too which will be the death knell of extremism.

• Advertisement

RobMc59 wrote: »
    Sectarianism isn't generally a problem here in England Francie and I couldn't care less whether a person is Catholic or Protestant.I suspect that is becoming the general consensus in NI too which will be the death knell of extremism.

How do you think it is 'becoming the general consensus in NI'? Because it is ignored or trivialised?

If this was a 'coincidence' then you have to look at the history to see has this person/organisation engaged in sectarianism before. And in this case, the public and the shirt sponsors have reached a conclusion.

Advertisement