Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How long before Irish reunification? (Part 2) Threadbans in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,618 ✭✭✭✭downcow

Well, no.

See there is an ACTUAL legal treaty in place that you voted for, that says that in the event of a majority of the people so voting, that Ireland will be United.

Why do we need your hypothetical nonsense?

I asked you straight out whether you would rather unite with France, Sweden or Vietnam than with the rest of your people on your Island, and you threw me another bizarre hypothetical.

No one in Ireland is agitating for a vote to join England or France or anywhere else. There's no need to talk nonsense when we have an actual treaty in place that we can discuss. Your blind hatred for your fellow Irishmen shows why NI continues to be a cold house for Nationalists and why they will vote to consign the hideous construct to history.

I was trying to deal with a silly question.
    I don’t see ni uniting with anyone other than the uk.
    I see some highly unlikely scenarios where it could unite with with England, England & Wales, Scotland or roi I can’t see it uniting with anyone else.
    But don’t be under any illusions, if we were handed a straight scenario of uniting with Sweden or roi , I don’t know a single unionist who would chose roi - and that is setting aside the disparity of looks of the females in both regions

• Registered Users Posts: 19,042 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

downcow wrote: »
    I was trying to deal with a silly question.
    I don’t see ni uniting with anyone other than the uk.
    I see some highly unlikely scenarios where it could unite with with England, England & Wales, Scotland or roi I can’t see it uniting with anyone else.
    But don’t be under any illusions, if we were handed a straight scenario of uniting with Sweden or roi , I don’t know a single unionist who would chose roi - and that is setting aside the disparity of looks of the females in both regions

The absolute state of that post.

What was the silly question?

What does the GFA say in the event the United Kingdom balkanises? Does NI go to Ireland by default then?

Actually that’s a really interesting question that I don’t think gfa considers

You said there were 200 countries you would rather be with than be in a UI!

Sorry if you confused us by thinking what you wrote to mean what the words indicate.

Ok my maths was slightly out. But I’d still chose the Vatican over roi. Would you put many in front of England?

The absolute state of that post.

What was the silly question?

The silly question was why you think I wouldn’t want to unite with roi?

Think ROI unification with England, Oliver Cromwell, 1966, the butchers apron, her majesty, the paras, etc. And then you’ll have some empathy for my position

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,171 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

Ok my maths was slightly out. But I’d still chose the Vatican over roi. Would you put many in front of England?

Perhaps you can go on to boards.vn or boards.se to get your campaign going. In the meantime the rest of us will prepare for the inevitable border poll.

Actually that’s a really interesting question that I don’t think gfa considers

Why would it need to deal with that scenario?

Why would the UK "Balkanise"?

The SOSNI just needs to call for a border poll.

Why are we uniting with England? What treaty says that if 50%+1 of the people of the ROI votes to unite with England, that we would do so?

Silly question is right.

The silly question was why you think I wouldn’t want to unite with roi?

Think ROI unification with England, Oliver Cromwell, 1966, the butchers apron, her majesty, the paras, etc. And then you’ll have some empathy for my position

Did anyone ask you that question? Or did you form it in your own mind to bring us down another Downcow rabbit hole, because we where shooting holes through your nonsense from earlier today?

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭Madeleine Birchfield

Edward Carson rolling in the grave. "Home Rule means Rome Rule" ring a bell?

• Advertisement

Did anyone ask you that question? Or did you form it in your own mind to bring us down another Downcow rabbit hole, because we where shooting holes through your nonsense from earlier today?

You were struggling to understand why I wouldn’t want to unite with the other country on this island.
    ......but hey. Sure that a good way to avoid dealing with the parallel of Roi uniting with England Or should I say re-unifying?

Here bonnie. Tell me , do you get it now. Why I wouldn’t want to unite with roi? Or is it still all way over your head?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Edgware

The person being a small minded sexist is accusing someone else of 'spewing'? Some self awareness might come in handy there Edg. ;)

You cannot bear the thought of a woman delivering change (or rather a SF woman.) hence all the sexist ranting about 'fish-wifes' etc.
    What change? If you want to give credit for the G.E. result be sure to give her credit for the Local Election results and the fact that not even the left wing parties want anything to do with S.F.

You were struggling to understand why I wouldn’t want to unite with the other country on this island.
    ......but hey. Sure that a good way to avoid dealing with the parallel of Roi uniting with England Or should I say re-unifying?

You elected to construct all these strawmen.

You're now having issue with me not engaging with one of your nonsensical scenarios because I'm continuing to engage you with your other nonsensical scenario. Do you not see how ludicrous this makes you look?

Here bonnie. Tell me , do you get it now. Why I wouldn’t want to unite with roi? Or is it still all way over your head?

What?

Your the one struggling to realise that your singular bigoted beligerent vote isn't one that concerns me. Your outlook has no value in a United Ireland. Why would I care whether you want to be Swedish or Vietnamese rather than be confused for someone from Ravensdale? Off you pop.

What?

Your the one struggling to realise that your singular bigoted beligerent vote isn't one that concerns me. Your outlook has no value in a United Ireland. Why would I care whether you want to be Swedish or Vietnamese rather than be confused for someone from Ravensdale? Off you pop.

I think you’ve got it now lol

What is your proposed outcome of aligning with england...NI presently is and it has failed to function properly as a country and poverty is rampant,by every metric it has been a failure

Whereas the free state is near on opposite??bit like turkeys voting for xmas mate,but your free to propose it and try win people about to your view

What is your proposed outcome of aligning with england...NI presently is and it has failed to function properly as a country and poverty is rampant,by every metric it has been a failure

Whereas the free state is near on opposite??bit like turkeys voting for xmas mate,but your free to propose it and try win people about to your view

So you’ve got it as well. Success. Now you have empathy.

I would think it would be ridiculous roi aligning with England. Especially given all the difficult history. Now join the dots.

I would think it would be ridiculous roi aligning with England. Especially given all the difficult history. Now join the dots.

Hmm....ive always had empathy

But,sereval advantages of reunification have been outlined,

While what your proposing is to spread the failure that is the 6 counties across the entire island,by aligning with england

Slight difference there old chap

Sucess breeds success,while failure breeds apathy,which is why you fear reunification the most...poor people in your area might thrive and see through the DUP and their rubbish and will.most likely ultimately thrive in a utd ireland

• Registered Users Posts: 68,761 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Shame you guys didn't persuade a majority Unionists of this at the GFA because they have said they will abide by the decision of the majority.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Junkyard Tom

I am just not about to surrender my country to them.

It's not your country to surrender and the moment a majority vote for unification it ceases to exist. One way or another you're going to be living in Ireland with Irish people running the show. You'd actually have more control over your future as 1-in-7 of the population of a United Ireland rather than a 1-in-60 pain-in-the-hole for Britain.

Whatever happens there is one direction-of-travel in all this and that is the increasing weaving together of the north-east six counties with the rest of the country and nothing can stop that.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,197 ✭✭✭Hamsterchops

What will change after Covid has gone?
    Nothing & everything.

What will change after Brexit kicks in?
    Nothing, & everything.

Nothing will change in a "united" Ireland?
    Nothing, & everything.

If a UI ever happens, GB will carry-on as before but without haemorraging money on an annual basis for the upkeep of Northern Ireland (happy days for GB Treasury), with more money in the pot for all GB citizens on the island of Great Britain.
    NI citizens however would now of course be Irish citizens, and would be funded by Dublin & Brussels. Same money, different supplier!

Island of Ireland IRISH, island of Britain BRITISH.

Simples ;)

Hmm....ive always had empathy

But,sereval advantages of reunification have been outlined,

While what your proposing is to spread the failure that is the 6 counties across the entire island,by aligning with england

Slight difference there old chap

Sucess breeds success,while failure breeds apathy,which is why you fear reunification the most...poor people in your area might thrive and see through the DUP and their rubbish and will.most likely ultimately thrive in a utd ireland
    Blaaz you are getting very boring continually making claims that I suggested roi uniting with England. Wise up and have a wee bit of integrity

Nothing & everything.

Nothing, & everything.

Nothing, & everything.

If a UI ever happens, GB will carry-on as before but without haemorraging money on an annual basis for the upkeep of Northern Ireland (happy days for GB Treasury), with more money in the pot for all GB citizens on the island of Great Britain.
    NI citizens however would now of course be Irish citizens, and would be funded by Dublin & Brussels. Same money, different supplier!

Simples ;)

They're already Irish citizens. Simples.

Blaaz you are getting very boring continually making claims that I suggested roi uniting with England. Wise up and have a wee bit of integrity

What did you suggest then? Did you leave yourself some wiggle room?

Yous literally wanting it on table,for a utd ireland discussion (which your entitled to do)???

Quite,why you feel,someone agreeing everything should be up for discussion is lacking integrity is beyond me,

What did you suggest then? Did you leave yourself some wiggle room?

https://touch.boards.ie/thread/2058082187/7

• Registered Users Posts: 68,761 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Nothing & everything.

Nothing, & everything.

Nothing, & everything.

Simples ;)

What do you mean 'funded'...they would be contributing to the pot just like everyone else .

• Registered Users Posts: 3,197 ✭✭✭Hamsterchops

They're already Irish citizens. Simples.

I know we did this to the death in Part 1, but I'm still confused as to whether Arlene Foster (for example) is a British citizen, or an Irish citizen?

I'm guessing that she would claim to be a British Citizen, although I stand to be corrected....

Funded = Barnett formula.

• Advertisement

I know we did this to the death in Part 1, but I'm still confused as to whether Arlene Foster (for example) is a British citizen, or an Irish citizen?

I'm guessing that she would claim to be a British Citizen, although I stand to be corrected....

She's both by birth. It's up to her to bother her hole with her Irish citizenship and recognise it. It's not important to any discussion. I don't know why you keep yammering on about such frippery.

Advertisement