Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How long before Irish reunification? (Part 2) Threadbans in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,300 ✭✭✭✭jm08

Seemed a bit niggardly of Martin and the coalition not to renew the role.

Maybe it wasn't fully embraced by the holder...he didn't make much of an impact in fairness.

But even saying that...there are quite a few in that house that make little impact.

Just heard him being interviewed on RTE Radio. Really poor that he wasn't retained as he came across as being very positive in his approach. He was bringing a lot of people from NI down to the Seanad and meeting with lots of bodies around the country. He wanted to continue working, but its really disappointing that he had to find out from social media that he wasn't being retained. I see Sinn Fein have nominated/appointed a senator from NI.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,626 ✭✭✭✭downcow

I see our deputy first minister breaking all the rules today at another ira funeral.
    Hundreds attend and she’s in the middle of it doing selfies and hugging half the ira.
    Can you imagine if Arlene done it how many would be calling for her resignation

• Registered Users Posts: 625 ✭✭✭dd973

Hypothetical question, supposing No Deal Brexit turns out disastrously for the U.K, economic meltdown and the rest.

The Scots decide to leave the union and become independent.

The Union Jack wouldn't even exist in it's current state anymore, what would in effect the most recalcitrant sections of the Unionist population be fighting for or against? How can they be loyal to a state that no longer really exists? I don't think England & Wales really appeal to them as such.

• Registered Users Posts: 957 ✭✭✭BloodyBill

dd973 wrote: »
    Hypothetical question, supposing No Deal Brexit turns out disastrously for the U.K, economic meltdown and the rest.

The Union Jack wouldn't even exist in it's current state anymore, what would in effect the most recalcitrant sections of the Unionist population be fighting for or against? How can they be loyal to a state that no longer really exists? I don't think England & Wales really appeal to them as such.

Thats a possibility alright. However the opposite is probably whats going to happen.

There ll be no Economic meltdown. The Scots remain put as they have since 1700 or so and Northern Ireland remains put aswell.

In Ireland we always do this 'What if ' and its always 'what if the UK fails?'...eat eat.

• Registered Users Posts: 69,176 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

BloodyBill wrote: »
    Thats a possibility alright. However the opposite is probably whats going to happen.

There ll be no Economic meltdown. The Scots remain put as they have since 1700 or so and Northern Ireland remains put aswell.

In Ireland we always do this 'What if ' and its always 'what if the UK fails?'...eat eat.

What makes you think the union is safe?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,186 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

While it is a ‘what if’ it’s hardly unrealistic. The party winning by a landslide in Scotland in each election are the SNP and recent opinion polls are very much in favour.

With regards the funeral yesterday it was careless in the extreme. Funerals in republican areas are big occasions but this was not the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Junkyard Tom

So your answer is 'I won't be considering your predictions because I don't like the sound of them'?

Let's say that it has already happened, in 2021 Scotland goes independent. What then for the north?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,553 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

As long as the Shinners drive a coach and four through the C-19 regulations for funerals, we can forget about any coming together.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,728 ✭✭✭eire4

Well the UK took a step close to having no trade deal come next January 1 by letting the deadline to ask for a transition extension pass yesterday. So given how far apart the sides are on a deal things look pretty bleak to say the last right now in terms of having an agreed trade deal in place ready for January 1. No trade deal will IMHO increase support for Scottish independence.

Are Republicans being held to a higher standard?

518528.png

• Advertisement

Are Republicans being held to a higher standard?

518528.png

Disgusting attack on the vigil to young Noah.
    No comparison in to situations.

Serious lack of understanding here.
    We are a union of countries who want to be in a union If one country decides it doesn’t want to belong any longer, it will get the blessing of the other 3 to go. We will help and assist in any way we can and their will inevitably still be a special relationship.
    I don’t see any threat associated with it, just a different relationship.
    A bit like a child that moves away.

downcow wrote: »
    Serious lack of understanding here.
    We are a union of countries who want to be in a union If one country decides it doesn’t want to belong any longer, it will get the blessing of the other 3 to go. We will help and assist in any way we can and their will inevitably still be a special relationship.
    I don’t see any threat associated with it, just a different relationship.
    A bit like a child that moves away.

Sure. In your dreams.

The reality is you are still the chattels of England. None of you are going anywhere unless the English allow you.

A massively un-equal Union.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,622 ✭✭✭Fionn1952

Disgusting attack on the vigil to young Noah.
    No comparison in to situations.

All three are funerals with significant numbers in attendance during a period where social distancing is required. Regardless of any feelings on the people involved, there is a clear and obvious comparison.

You could be critical of the use of the poor young lad's funeral for political point scoring, but you are unequivocally wrong to state there is no comparison.

Fionn1952 wrote: »
    All three are funerals with significant numbers in attendance during a period where social distancing is required. Regardless of any feelings on the people involved, there is a clear and obvious comparison.

You could be critical of the use of the poor young lad's funeral for political point scoring, but you are unequivocally wrong to state there is no comparison.

Zero comparison. One is ordinary people remembering a young boy who they had spent a week looking for.
    The other was the deputy first minister who had been fighting against ordinary people visiting the grave of their loved one, attending a funeral of one of the most evil terrorists in ni Laughing, Ira men with their arms around her shoulder, etc

Zero comparison. One is ordinary people remembering a young boy who they had spent a week looking for.
    The other was the deputy first minister who had been fighting against ordinary people visiting the grave of their loved one, attending a funeral of one of the most evil terrorists in ni Laughing, Ira men with their arms around her shoulder, etc

So Covid knows to stay away from one and not the other. Cool story!

The comparison is literally right there, Downcow. Your distaste for one doesn't change the fact that they were both heavily attended funerals, with insufficient social distancing during a global pandemic.

There are certainly differences to point out - like I said, I'm not making any sort of judgement call on either, I'm putting that aside to point out that THERE ARE FACTUAL COMPARISIONS. This isn't even remotely disputable!

So Covid knows to stay away from one and not the other. Cool story!

Do you see no difference in the deputy first minister flaunting the rules and ordinary people doing it.
    This 10x worse than Dominic Cummings driving his family 100miles

Do you see no difference in the deputy first minister flaunting the rules and ordinary people doing it.
    This 10x worse than Dominic Cummings driving his family 100miles

Does Covid knows to stay away from one and not the other?

If it does, then there is a difference.

SF got some aspects of the funeral wrong, no doubt.

The PSNI will assess it and we'll see, how wrong they got it.

The comparison is literally right there, Downcow. Your distaste for one doesn't change the fact that they were both heavily attended funerals, with insufficient social distancing during a global pandemic.

There are certainly differences to point out - like I said, I'm not making any sort of judgement call on either, I'm putting that aside to point out that THERE ARE FACTUAL COMPARISIONS. This isn't even remotely disputable!

Do you realise that every party from the SDLP to Alliance and the Greens are calling for her to step aside. The arrogance and sense of privilege of SF knows no bounds

• Advertisement

Does Covid knows to stay away from one and not the other?

If it does, then there is a difference.

SF got some aspects of the funeral wrong, no doubt.

The PSNI will assess it and we'll see, how wrong they got it.

Well I heard on the news today that in 24 hrs since SF funeral there have been over 70 applications for bands to parade their own areas on the twelfth

Well I heard on the news today that in 24 hrs since SF funeral there have been over 70 applications for bands to parade their own areas on the twelfth

:):)

'We think SF were wrong so we are going to do wrong as well?'

Trust the OO. :):) That made me chuckle.

Do you realise that every party from the SDLP to Alliance and the Greens are calling for her to step aside. The arrogance and sense of privilege of SF knows no bounds

I 100% think SF members were in the wrong. That doesn't mean the two funerals are totally incomparable. There are clear and obvious comparisons to be made.

:):)

'We think SF were wrong so we are going to do wrong as well?'

Trust the OO. :):) That made me chuckle.

86 and rising by the hour.
    I am pretty sure not one of them are orange order, but sure why let the truth get in the way of a good story. I haven't checked but pretty sure they are all young peoples bands

86 and rising by the hour.
    I am pretty sure not one of them are orange order, but sure why let the truth get in the way of a good story. I haven't checked but pretty sure they are all young peoples bands

Not upfront OO maybe.

They are too late for the 12th anyhow...28 days notice is required I thought.

Seriously...they are lambasting SF and now want to do something that was cancelled because it was dangerous? Feck me.

The problem for DC (and the southern establishment) is that SF's 700,000+ voters are watching their critics being utter hypocrites. I doubt SF will lose one voter from all this, if anything they've just added another few thousand.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,831 ✭✭✭RobMc59

The opportunity to get their gurning gobs in the newspapers was too much to resist!

RobMc59 wrote: »
    The opportunity to get their gurning gobs in the newspapers was too much to resist!

The veneer of curiosity you joined the forum with is pretty much dust in the wind at this point, Rob.

Not upfront OO maybe.

They are too late for the 12th anyhow...28 days notice is required I thought.

Seriously...they are lambasting SF and now want to do something that was cancelled because it was dangerous? Feck me.

Not OO
    As i understand local bands are now applying to parade their local towns where people can watch from their gardens. They will restrict it strictly to 30 band members. Rather than joining Michele, rather they will demonstrate discipline and how it should be done.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,831 ✭✭✭RobMc59

The veneer of curiosity you joined the forum with is pretty much dust in the wind at this point, Rob.

No Fionn,I'm genuinely fascinated with all aspects of Ireland.
    My 'gurning'comment was meant in jest(the English interpretation of gurning)I was unaware of the Irish meaning until you used it a few weeks ago.

Advertisement