Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How long before Irish reunification? (Part 2) Threadbans in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Junkyard Tom

It's okay DC, the IRA surrendered and they're all informers so you have nothing to worry about.

Oh wait.. is today their on day? Never mind, carry on.

• Registered Users Posts: 69,176 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

It's okay DC, the IRA surrendered and they're all informers so you have nothing to worry about.

:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭Sinzo

Personally I am not interested in reunification with the north. They are a different State with s distinct character.
    Reunification would only bring misery and budgetary headaches to the Republic..
    We can't afford it. I have no appetite for all that hardship..

• Registered Users Posts: 11,626 ✭✭✭✭downcow

Sinzo wrote: »
    Personally I am not interested in reunification with the north. They are a different State with s distinct character.

I appreciate what you are saying sinzo. Makes total sense. But don’t get sucked into this ‘reunification’ narrative that the shinners would like.
    ‘Reunification’ suggests this island was once voluntarily unified in harmony. Not the case. I’ve asked many times here for someone to tell me when it was unified except under british duress and no one can offer me a date

Maybe you are right. Maybe it’s the ‘old boys’ day out I hope they had a lovely day.

Good avoidance from answering the question

• Advertisement

downcow wrote: »
    I appreciate what you are saying sinzo. Makes total sense. But don’t get sucked into this ‘reunification’ narrative that the shinners would like.
    ‘Reunification’ suggests this island was once voluntarily unified in harmony. Not the case. I’ve asked many times here for someone to tell me when it was unified except under british duress and no one can offer me a date

'Unified under duress'...as a euphemism for colonisation that's pretty good. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 19,553 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

You are correct, Sir.

Arguing about flags and emblems and living in the past.

Not a good prospect.

Only coins who like to churn minutiae over endlessly and see who can last long enough dancing on the head of a pin, can see the value.

Most sensible people see the stupidity of that outlook.

Well we were unified as part of the UK prior to the official establishment of northern Ireland in 1921. So the whole island was only ever really unified under English rule as far as I'm aware..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,622 ✭✭✭Fionn1952

Political party members wearing uniform feels very controversial to me. They are in very interesting company as a political party where party members dress the same.
    Scary stuff!

I've worn black and white to every single funeral I've been to in my life, Downcow.

I also must have a word with the father of a very close friend of mine who passed away. Despite being a very senior retired member of the RUC, he also wore black and white to his daughter's funeral.

Fionn1952 wrote: »
    I've worn black and white to every single funeral I've been to in my life, Downcow.

I also must have a word with the father of a very close friend of mine who passed away. Despite being a very senior retired member of the RUC, he also wore black and white to his daughter's funeral.

Fion. You are so obviously talking nonsense. I don’t know how to post pics but we’ve all seen them. To try and pretend these were normal mourners and that this was a normal funeral, is making you look as ridiculous as Michelle

• Advertisement

Well we were unified as part of the UK prior to the official establishment of northern Ireland in 1921. So the whole island was only ever really unified under English rule as far as I'm aware..

A common misconception, usually very vocally shouted by the most hardline of Unionists grossly attempting to compare modern systems of government to ancient ones.

Ireland was united under a High King several times in its history, though the more feudal system of government at the time does make it difficult to compare to modern ideas of unification.

Attempts to argue that the idea of one, 'Ireland' or Irish people being a post-colonial invention are questionable and dishonest at best.

Fion. You are so obviously talking nonsense. I don’t know how to post pics but we’ve all seen them. To try and pretend these were normal mourners and that this was a normal funeral, is making you look as ridiculous as Michelle

A black suit, white shirt and black tie is what I saw on the VAST majority of men in the crowd at Bobby's funeral, Downcow.

Are you suggesting something else?

A black suit, white shirt and black tie is what I saw on the VAST majority of men in the crowd at Bobby's funeral, Downcow.

Are you suggesting something else?

Fionn you have zero credibility if you are suggesting the 1800 dress-alikes were random mourners

Fionn you have zero credibility if you are suggesting the 1800 dress-alikes were random mourners

I'm not, 'suggesting' anything, Downcow. I am absolutely saying that a black suit, white shirt and black tie are standard funeral attire.

If you pick out any funeral with a few thousand attendees, you would not be able to pick which was which based on attire compared with Bobby Storey's.

You are literally trying to argue that standard funeral attire is some sort of Republican statement.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,186 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

'Unified under duress'...as a euphemism for colonisation that's pretty good. :)

I think downcow was taught a fairytale in school about British colonialism.

A common misconception, usually very vocally shouted by the most hardline of Unionists grossly attempting to compare modern systems of government to ancient ones.

Ireland was united under a High King several times in its history, though the more feudal system of government at the time does make it difficult to compare to modern ideas of unification.

Attempts to argue that the idea of one, 'Ireland' or Irish people being a post-colonial invention are questionable and dishonest at best.

Roderick o Connor Was the last high king of Ireland died in 1189.. the Norman's took over then..

Roderick o Connor Was the last high king of Ireland died in 1189.. the Norman's took over then..

So you're saying that Ireland was united until it was invaded......and?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,273 ✭✭✭jh79

Who hasn't 'gone away'...SF?

Bobby Storey was in the IRA, he didn't go away until last week. What is your point?

I have said this before and I will say it again, there is an agreement in place that has ensured the IRA have gone away as an organisation. I know they will be back if that agreement fails or is broken.
    That is why I fully support the agreement because I don't want the IRA back.

Doubt they have the same level of success if they came back. Sure the top lads would be taken out with drones just like the ISIS and the Iranian leaders recently.

jh79 wrote: »
    Doubt they have the same level of success if they came back. Sure the top lads would be taken out with drones just like the ISIS and the Iranian leaders recently.

I remember hearing that kind of stuff in the 70's.

I'm not prepared to test the theory despite some seeming to relish the idea or who think better of men and women for sticking to their guns (excuse the pun) and taunt and demean those who made the leap to peace.

I remember hearing that kind of stuff in the 70's.

I'm not prepared to test the theory despite some seeming to relish the idea or who think better of men and women for sticking to their guns (excuse the pun) and taunt and demean those who made the leap to peace.

How would it fail anyways? What would have to happen for the IRA to come back?

• Advertisement

Didn't do them any good in Iraq and Afghanistan. There are an awful lot of people with Irish heritage living in Britain who'd be mighty pissed-off at the sight of Irish children's bodies being carried out of rubble from the inevitable 'mistakes'.

This is the unionist torture fantasy, isn't it? This is why Unionists get off on the Israeli state's treatment of the Palestinians. The problem for Unionists is that they're the Palestinians in the this analogy, they used to run all of Ireland and now they're not able to scratch their arses in the north unless it's signed off by former Provos.

This is their 'victory'.

I'm not, 'suggesting' anything, Downcow. I am absolutely saying that a black suit, white shirt and black tie are standard funeral attire.

If you pick out any funeral with a few thousand attendees, you would not be able to pick which was which based on attire compared with Bobby Storey's.

You are literally trying to argue that standard funeral attire is some sort of Republican statement.

Are you for real fionn - fairly normal mourners
    https://www.newsletter.co.uk/webimg/TUFZMTI0MDk4MTg5.jpg?&width=640

If it’s so normal why were none of the other hundreds of mourners dressed the same?

Didn't do them any good in Iraq and Afghanistan. There are an awful lot of people with Irish heritage living in Britain who'd be mighty pissed-off at the sight of Irish children's bodies being carried out of rubble from the inevitable 'mistakes'.

This is the unionist torture fantasy, isn't it? This is why Unionists get off on the Israeli state's treatment of the Palestinians. The problem for Unionists is that they're the Palestinians in the this analogy, they used to run all of Ireland and now they're not able to scratch their arses in the north unless it's signed off by former Provos.

This is their 'victory'.

What about the child victims of the IRA?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,186 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

Highly unlikely I would think. Only way would be if British govt decided to get the army more involved up there which considering they want to get out of there as easily as possible is again highly unlikely.

Highly unlikely I would think. Only way would be if British govt decided to get the army more involved up there which considering they want to get out of there as easily as possible is again highly unlikely.

I'm sure a little rise in MLA salary and community worker salary would quell any dissent.

It is a two country, multi party agreement with one significant party that hates every clause in it when it suits them.
    There are multiple ways for it to fail.

Are you for real fionn - fairly normal mourners
    https://www.newsletter.co.uk/webimg/TUFZMTI0MDk4MTg5.jpg?&width=640

If it’s so normal why were none of the other hundreds of mourners dressed the same?

Are you referring to the people in white shirts and black ties, Dowcow?

Brief aside, what did you wear to the last funeral you attended?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,159 ✭✭✭declanflynn

Are you referring to the people in white shirts and black ties, Dowcow?

Brief aside, what did you wear to the last funeral you attended?
    Orange I'd say

What about the child victims of the IRA?

What about the fire-bombing of Dresden?

• Advertisement

So you're saying that Ireland was united until it was invaded......and?

Not really. Ireland was never really United.. there was always in fighting and numerous concurrent claims to be the king . The north doesn't want us and we don't want the north. Lets just be good friends...

Advertisement