Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How long before Irish reunification? (Part 2) Threadbans in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭Sinzo

Wow. You really do have notions.

What exactly does that mean Bonnie...?

Everyone has notions.. including you.. or didn't you realise that?

Tell me the master plan to reunite the Emerald Isle? How exactly are you going to make it work? How much will it cost each one of us? Are you sure most Catholics really want to be part of the south, never mind the unionists, especially if the euro falls apart which might just be as likely as the UK falling apart...

Tell me your own notions???

• Registered Users Posts: 19,085 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

Yeah_Right wrote: »
    According to some SF supporters on here, that means that you are anti-democratic. As far as they are concerned, democracy means everyone voting for what SF want.

No. Completely ignoring the GFA is anti-democratic like this poster is alluding to.

I know you're learning Irish politics as you go but this needs to be said yet again:

SF do not own a United Ireland.

Being an Irish Nationalist does not mean you are a SF supporter.

---

Sinzo wants us to basically ignore the North. That's been the thrust of their posts.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Junkyard Tom

Ireland will be as good as economically united on the 1-1-2021 unless Britain rips up all the agreements, treaties, GFA and pisses-off the Irish American caucus and plunges itself into an incredibly damaging economic crisis.

If the latter happens then we could be looking at a UI as a rescue mission. Either way British jurisdiction in Ireland is in terminal decline.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,300 ✭✭✭✭jm08

Their dream was to set up in Carrickfergus no doubt. Nothing like a South American Catholic influx for the locals to bandy around.

The poor sods, they probably think that the 12th July festivities are going to be like the Brazilian Fiesta with dancing girls etc., not lads with bowlers marching down the road.

downcow wrote: »
    I’ll try that tactic next time you ask me a question.

Quite interesting to see the photos circulating of the guns over the coffin. And low and behold the gunmen are wearing EXACTLY the same gear!
    What do you really expect any unionist to think?

Downcow - think - I bet even you have a white shirt and a black trousers in your wardrobe.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,085 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

Sinzo wrote: »
    What exactly does that mean Bonnie...?

Everyone has notions.. including you.. or didn't you realise that?

Tell me the master plan to reunite the Emerald Isle? How exactly are you going to make it work? How much will it cost each one of us? Are you sure most Catholics really want to be part of the south, never mind the unionists, especially if the euro falls apart which might just be as likely as the UK falling apart...

Tell me your own notions???

Oooh you're getting very shirty. Are you okay?

I think we know what I alluded to by referring to your "notions".

All your pronouncements thus far have essentially boiled down to, you know better and be let's ignore the North.

Thankfully I don't need "notions" to bring about a UI. We have the GFA you see. So we're currently working with in that realm regarding the roadmap to a UI.

I don't care about how many Catholics want or don't want to have a UI. A border poll with not be a sectarian headcount. It will be a simple 50%+1 vote. That's it. If the majority don't back then c'est la vie. That's the spirit of consent we all signed up to in 1998.

The thing is, the only thing I am sure of is that Partition has been a disaster for Ireland and its time is up.

No. Completely ignoring the GFA is anti-democratic like this poster is alluding to.

I know you're learning Irish politics as you go but this needs to be said yet again:

---

Sinzo wants us to basically ignore the North. That's been the thrust of their posts.

I wouldn't say ignore it. Just not reunify with it. Let's be friends. We dont have to get married. Some relationships are better as just a friendship.

That is what I'm saying. The GFA is obviously democratic so the will of the majority north and south will determine that outcome.

My hope is that the reverberating answer is a big fat NO...

Oooh you're getting very shirty. Are you okay?

I think we know what I alluded to by referring to your "notions".

All your pronouncements thus far have essentially boiled down to, you know better and be let's ignore the North.

Thankfully I don't need "notions" to bring about a UI. We have the GFA you see. So we're currently working with in that realm regarding the roadmap to a UI.

I don't care about how many Catholics want or don't want to have a UI. A border poll with not be a sectarian headcount. It will be a simple 50%+1 vote. That's it. If the majority don't back then c'est la vie. That's the spirit of consent we all signed up to in 1998.

The thing is, the only thing I am sure of is that Partition has been a disaster for Ireland and its time is up.

Partition may have been a disaster for NI and the UK but not necessarily for the south.

I think that our marriage, with Europe, up to now, has been good for the south. Hopefully that will remain the case..

• Registered Users Posts: 69,176 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

I wouldn't say ignore it. Just not reunify with it. Let's be friends. We dont have to get married. Some relationships are better as just a friendship.

That is what I'm saying. The GFA is obviously democratic so the will of the majority north and south will determine that outcome.

My hope is that the reverberating answer is a big fat NO...

Friends get married all the time and it works out very happily and well.

Why, would you hope so fervently for a 'big fat NO'?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,626 ✭✭✭✭downcow

South Americans?
    Eh, Colombian? Venezuelan? Surinamese? Uruguayan? Chilean?

I mean if you are gonna talk nonsense, at least try make it more believable.

And honestly, as someone who has lived in Canada I can tell you something for certain, from a quality of life aspect, Britain comes no where near it. There's no choice to make.

One Colombian one equador. You are completely entitled to your opinion. I am just sharing theirs with you.
    It’s funny how you get defensive when people express admiration for the uk. Haha.
    I could have said that about any other country in the world and you would not have felt the need to rush to disagree. I reckon

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,020 ✭✭✭Yeah_Right

---

It seems to me that SF supporters are the ones that go on about a UI the most. And they seem to believe that it should happen at any price. They also usually have no idea how to fund it and what actual tangible benefits it would provide Ireland. If anyone questions a UI or has doubts about it, it is SF supporters that call them West Brits or anti-democratic.

Maybe you can answer the question I have asked a few times on these threads and no UI supporter has answered; how much are you personally willing to pay for a UI? By that I mean in the form of a tax increase on pay and/or goods.

jm08 wrote: »
    The poor sods, they probably think that the 12th July festivities are going to be like the Brazilian Fiesta with dancing girls etc., not lads with bowlers marching down the road.

Haha. That’s your impression of the 12th

Friends get married all the time and it works out very happily and well.

Why, would you hope so fervently for a 'big fat NO'?

Because my opinion is that it will only cause a whole lot of trouble for the south and the north itself.

Prior to Brexit, many individuals in the nationalist community themselves were more at home in the north along with their unionist compatriots.

To carry on your analogy... I dont want a messy divorce..

• Registered Users Posts: 69,176 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Because my opinion is that it will only cause a whole lot of trouble for the south and the north itself.

Prior to Brexit, many individuals in the nationalist community themselves were more at home in the north along with their unionist compatriots.

It is already and has caused a whole lot of trouble north and south. Are you blind?

And at the root of all those problems is partition. Trace everyone back and you arrive at that idiotic decision.

Remove partition and then you can begin to put it right.

The British now agree with that - 'it is for the people of the island of Ireland to decide their fate without outside impediment'.

Haha. That’s your impression of the 12th

Some of it. There are the giant bonfires as well.

Some of it. There are the giant bonfires as well.

Well you just believe what you wish

If they are so content, why are they still voting for Sinn Fein?

Well you just believe what you wish

Well, the 'festivities' are nothing like what they would find in South America!

One Colombian one equador. You are completely entitled to your opinion. I am just sharing theirs with you.
    It’s funny how you get defensive when people express admiration for the uk. Haha.
    I could have said that about any other country in the world and you would not have felt the need to rush to disagree. I reckon

I'd say they are just misguided. GB is turning into an ugly place for 'foreigners' now. According to the Human Development Index Ranking, Colombia is 79, and Equador is 85.

The UK is 15th (along with US). Canada is 13, so any of those places would be an improvement on what they have.

http://hdr.undp.org/en/content/2019-human-development-index-ranking

If they are so content, why are they still voting for Sinn Fein?

Because voting is highly influenced by sectarianism. Most unionists vote unionist and most moderates vote based on other issues.

• Advertisement

Yeah_Right wrote: »
    It seems to me that SF supporters are the ones that go on about a UI the most. And they seem to believe that it should happen at any price. They also usually have no idea how to fund it and what actual tangible benefits it would provide Ireland. If anyone questions a UI or has doubts about it, it is SF supporters that call them West Brits or anti-democratic.

Maybe you can answer the question I have asked a few times on these threads and no UI supporter has answered; how much are you personally willing to pay for a UI? By that I mean in the form of a tax increase on pay and/or goods.

There are huge problems with having a border with the EU/UK on the island of Ireland. If the UK doesn't co-operate on customs etc., it won't take long before the EU will move the border to Rosslare and which will effectively lock Ireland out of the EU. And there will be nothing we can do about it.

Because voting is highly influenced by sectarianism. Most unionists vote unionist and most moderates vote based on other issues.

They don't have to vote unionist - they could vote SDLP, PBP, Alliance etc. They don't have to vote Sinn Fein or DUP/UUP.

Now, explain why so many people vote for Sinn Fein in NI?

They don't have to vote unionist - they could vote SDLP, PBP, Alliance etc. They don't have to vote Sinn Fein or DUP/UUP.

Now, explain why so many people vote for Sinn Fein in NI?

Sinn Fein got one less vote than the main unionist party for the last assembly.

Let's see how the GFA goes.. hopefully it will be for the good of the island as a whole.

In my opinion a no vote will be best overall. I'm not that interested in Sinn Fein .. they dont represent me ..

Well, the 'festivities' are nothing like what they would find in South America!

Did someone say they were? Or are you just having a wee moment?

The UK is 15th (along with US). Canada is 13, so any of those places would be an improvement on what they have.

http://hdr.undp.org/en/content/2019-human-development-index-ranking

Thanks jm08. Would you pm Bonnie and let her know. She says there is no comparison between uk and Canada

On a completely different note. Have the rest of you just received and advert for cremation a few posts back? It must be very smart. I guess it’s because we discussed Story’s cremation

How do you guys feel that it was Sinn Fein member who was the pictured gunman providing salute?
    Genuinely interested if you think that is ok?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,835 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

It amuses me that you value Northern unionists aspirations and rights more than northern Nationalists'

It's almost like they don't exist. It's a Jack Lynch level of ignorance and naivety.

Ireland has given away/lost it's culture that is not the Brits fault in the last 100 years. I think you will find that when you look deep down. Republicanism is nothing more than a pretense at being overtly Irish. A compensation for a lack of real Irish culture or loss of same - a compensation of sorts. It is farcical and a bit pathetic in my opinion.
    Unionists are just as much part of the island of Ireland as Republicans are.

Plus taking away the politics these days. Both Unionists have very little that is not in common - language - English, Pub Culture, Rugby, Soccer and so on.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,835 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

From what you have written there, I don't think you have read that paper on the 'Irish Race Conference' (which was basically a call out to the Irish Diaspora to support Ireland in its quest for freedom and very similar to Irish Government policy now of trying to keep close ties with people of Irish heritage all around the world).

I did read it. It is a con job - playing up an Irish race. No such thing.

I really don't understand your point about culture. Are Brazilians less Brazilian because their national sport is soccer and their main language is Portuguese, or is Pakistan/India less Indian because their national sport is cricket? It could be argued that the better bits of British culture have a heavy influence of people of Irish descent - i.e., the Beatles - Lennon & McCarthy, Ed Sheeran, Oasis etc. Even Wayne Rooney's granny sound like she is from the Liberties in Dublin even though I doubt she has ever even been in Ireland.

Exactly Brazil and India/Pakistan were colonised and appropriated others culture. At least India have not lost thier language though so I will give them that.

As for saying Irish culture influenced Britain only when looking for a cheap labour force - through Irish emigrants and so on. Trying to claim Wayne Rooney and the Beatles as 'Irish' shows just what a pretense Irishness has become. It is a pure farce.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Advertisement

Sinn Fein got one less vote than the main unionist party for the last assembly.

Let's see how the GFA goes.. hopefully it will be for the good of the island as a whole.

In my opinion a no vote will be best overall. I'm not that interested in Sinn Fein .. they dont represent me ..

|Stop dodging the question you were asked? Why do you think Sinn Fein get such a large vote in NI elections bearing in mind there are more moderate nationalist parties/neutral parties (like Alliance, Greens, PFP) that they could vote for, if they didn't want to vote for either SDLP or Sinn Fein)?

Advertisement