Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How long before Irish reunification? (Part 2) Threadbans in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,831 ✭✭✭RobMc59

downcow wrote: »
    Yeah they just need to relax, live and let live.
    This is the difference in republicans and the rest.
    They won’t allow the people of NI to self determination.
    I am happy for any group to be in control of their future.
    If the people of the falls road voted to join ROI and ROI agreed to accept them then I would say , fair play let them leave NI and join ROI

Unfortunately for the rest of us,they see themselves as experts in all matters whether it's a UI, brexit or coronavirus!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,835 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

So you're ONLY Irish if you're born here?

I'd suggest you have a chat with Kevin Kilbane, James Connolly, Jim Larkin Liam MacCarthy and Mick McCarthy in that case.

You are missing the point completely McGowan overcompensates for being English and tries to be more Irish and Republican. A classic case of a 2nd Generation 'Irish' self hating English person - who tries to be more Irish than the Irish = over compensation.
    In fact he said he would have joined the IRA only for music.

For the record. In all honesty I don't view any of those lads you mentioned as really Irish. Yeah they maybe second generation Irish, but are/were plastic paddies when all is said and done. It comes back to my point of Irish people having way more in common with Britain than they like to admit. Yet people claim 'Brits out' to show how Irish they are. In other words being Irish = Brits out - to them.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,622 ✭✭✭Fionn1952

If the people of the falls road voted to join ROI and ROI agreed to accept them then I would say , fair play let them leave NI and join ROI

Hold on, in your latest cop-out on the GFA, you're now arguing for partition on a street-by-street basis?!?

You are missing the point completely McGowan overcompensates for being English and tries to be more Irish and Republican. A classic case of a 2nd Generation 'Irish' self hating English person - who tries to be more Irish than the Irish = over compensation.

For the record. In all honesty I don't view any of those lads you mentioned as really Irish. Yeah they maybe second generation Irish, but are/were plastic paddies when all is said and done. It comes back to my point of Irish people having way more in common with Britain than they like to admit. Yet people claim 'Brits out' to show how Irish they are. In other words being Irish = Brits out - to them.

If you asked 100 people is Shane MacGowan Irish or British I doubt many would say he is British and as both his parents were Irish he is entitled to say he is Irish in the eyes of the Irish government.
    But if you still don`t want him,we`ll have him!:)

• Registered Users Posts: 69,179 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Fionn1952 wrote: »
    Hold on, in your latest cop-out on the GFA, you're now arguing for partition on a street-by-street basis?!?

Have you ever read anything as ridiculous?
    Apparently if you paint your kerbstones red white and blue that means you are in Britain, so maybe it is not hard to see the thinking.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,300 ✭✭✭✭jm08

You clearly know nothing about Shane McGowan and his family background. Both his parents are Irish and he spent all his summers in Tipperary when growing up and thats where he got involved in playing music. When he got famous he actually lived there and has been living in Dublin now for a long, long time.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Junkyard Tom

DC knows that once a UI is voted for the NI project will be in the bin of history for good. The pandemic has demonstrated perfectly the awkwardness of having a contested jurisdiction in the northeast with the rest of Ireland being led by Dublin. Derry followed Dublin's lead and locked down before the rest of the north and it hasn't had a COVID19 case in over 30 days.

Brexit too has shown us the that the British question will be a problem until it solved, Jeffrey Donaldson was speaking today about the Peace Process being at risk over trading arrangements - a thinly veiled threat if you ask me.

The border is gone and it isn't coming back, there is one direction of travel in all of this, time for Unionists and their handful of partitionist friends in the south to smell the coffee.

• Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭work

I'm not sure that will work so haw many roads will become part of Poland or Romania if you applied that. Sure most of London would have to be governed by non-european countries.

Perhaps I'm missing your point as surely yoiu would suggest something so half-baked

They would`nt need to vote to join Ireland they could just move there could`nt they?

RobMc59 wrote: »
    They would`nt need to vote to join Ireland they could just move there could`nt they?

Ah right, so my parents in Fermanagh, along with most of the population of that county should just leave the homes they've bought and paid for, the communities they've grown up in and their careers rather than having a legitimate aspiration towards unity?

Why do I get the feeling you'd be outraged by the same attitude being applied to telling, 'The Brits' to go back to Britain?

• Advertisement

Ah right, so my parents in Fermanagh, along with most of the population of that county should just leave the homes they've bought and paid for, the communities they've grown up in and their careers rather than having a legitimate aspiration towards unity?

Why do I get the feeling you'd be outraged by the same attitude being applied to telling, 'The Brits' to go back to Britain?

Correct me if I'm wrong but didn't you relocate to Ireland from NI,which you have a right to do as under the terms of the GFA you can identify as Irish or British?

Correct me if I'm wrong but didn't you relocate to Ireland from NI,which you have a right to do as under the terms of the GFA you can identify as Irish or British?

I relocated for economic reasons, Rob. The GFA has nothing to do with it. I was Irish before the GFA was signed. Not really relevant to telling my parents that they should just move. As an Irish person, it is no different to me than it would be for you moving from London to Liverpool.

Choice is the key thing here. Would you agree that it would be an obnoxious and downright unpleasant thing for me to tell Downcow that he should just move back to Britain?

There has never been an issue in moving around Ireland Rob...the mental gymnastics require doing when you have to pretend it is as British as Finchley.

I relocated for economic reasons, Rob. The GFA has nothing to do with it. I was Irish before the GFA was signed. Not really relevant to telling my parents that they should just move. As an Irish person, it is no different to me than it would be for you moving from London to Liverpool.

Choice is the key thing here. Would you agree that it would be an obnoxious and downright unpleasant thing for me to tell Downcow that he should just move back to Britain?

Yes it would and I know you wouldn't do that.

Yes it would and I know you wouldn't do that.

So why is it acceptable for you to suggest that the population of the Falls should just move?

I'd argue that it's just as obnoxious.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,085 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

Ah would you ever give up now.

Apparently if you paint your kerbstones red white and blue that means you are in Britain, so maybe it is not hard to see the thinking.

I dunno. GDG is giving him a run for his money above with today's nonsense.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Let's say a pro-UI vote passes, what then for the most belligerent Unionists? What would their demands be if they threatened to cause trouble?

Be specific and remember Unionists are a minority in Derry, Belfast, Newry and four of the six counties.

519142.png

Have a go.

It worth remembering that Nationalists were also a minority back in the the 70s and they still managed to make **** of the place...

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

So you're ONLY Irish if you're born here?

I'd suggest you have a chat with Kevin Kilbane, James Connolly, Jim Larkin Liam MacCarthy and Mick McCarthy in that case.

Oul GDG would know all about overcompensating and people who are born in one country yearning to adopt another countrys identity :D

Bambi wrote: »
    Oul GDG would know all about overcompensating and people who are born in one country yearning to adopt another countrys identity :D

I bet you he can't even make coddle.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,626 ✭✭✭✭downcow

So how would you decide the geographical area that should be allowed self determination and what would determine an area that should not be allowed to self determination?

So how would you decide the geographical area that should be allowed self determination and what would determine an area that should not be allowed to self determination?

It has been decided, Downcow. The GFA says it's all or nothing. NI won't be sliced up and repartitioned again to create another false majority for Unionists.

So until the majority decides otherwise, all of NI will remain part of the UK, if and when that should come to pass, I don't think there would be anything stopping you from campaigning to have the road you live on made part of the UK again, though I can't see you having much luck.

Surely you can see that even from an administrative perspective, the idea of deciding on a street by street basis is absurd?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,020 ✭✭✭Yeah_Right

I bet you he can't even make coddle.

Why would anyone make coddle???

• Registered Users Posts: 10,668 ✭✭✭✭maccored

relocate to ireland from the north? hahahahahahaha ... I think I know the kind of character you are now.

WHy do you keep trying to rewrite the Agreement you said you support?

The geographical area referred to in that is 'the island of Ireland'.

It is for the people of the island of Ireland to decide it's fate.

If you want to have a referendum on the Shankill getting 'self determination' I suggest you get your politicians to begin lobbying for that.

maccored wrote: »
    relocate to ireland from the north? hahahahahahaha ... I think I know the kind of character you are now.

The type that agrees with Ireland and the GFA that they have no claim over NI.

So why is it acceptable for you to suggest that the population of the Falls should just move?

I'd argue that it's just as obnoxious.

I wouldn't agree with anyone being forced to move regardless of which community they are from.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,300 ✭✭✭✭jm08

The type that agrees with Ireland and the GFA that they have no claim over NI.

And do you know what Ireland relinguished that territory claim for?

jm08 wrote: »

The possibility of a UI in the future.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,835 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

jm08 wrote: »

the possibility of a UI in the future.

Blinkers on if ever I saw it. The whole raison d'être of the GFA was to bring about peace on this small island!

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

Advertisement