Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How long before Irish reunification? (Part 2) Threadbans in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,626 ✭✭✭✭downcow

Sectarianism is a legacy of British/Unionist misrule, you consider yourself British/Unionist, stop crying about it and own your mess.

Oh I have owned all my messes(or at least those I have became aware of). I still haven’t heard you own a single blemish.
    Have you any sectarianism in you junkyard?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,622 ✭✭✭Fionn1952

downcow wrote: »
    I think you are directing you anger at the wrong person. I have acknowledged throughout that (if he lived in Monaghan) Francie was really close to the UK and therefore if he entered the UK he would no doubt encounter UK army. Same the world over

The thing is the UK AND IRISH border is not like any other UK border the world over, Downcow.

The, 'as British as Finchley' mentality seems to prevent you from even acknowledging this.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Junkyard Tom

Fionn1952 wrote: »
    what does your comment about, 'travel abroad' actually add?

It's July, Unionists traditionally stopped talking to their neighbours and went out with their drums banging out 'croppies-lie-down' 'music'.

They hate us, they hate that they live in Ireland surrounded by Irish people. They hate that the towns and cities they live in have names derived from the native language.

They hate that they lost control of their little shithole. They hate that they've engineered a border in the Irish Sea when they were secretly hoping for a border in Ulster driven through Irish people in their Irish towns.

Most of all they hate that it's not two hundred years ago when they called the shots.

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭The_Fitz

If he travelled abroad he would run the risk of encountering them, no doubt

What in your opinion would it take for Unionists to at least take part in a conversation about a UI? Having a conversation doesn't mean it's going to happen.

It's July, Unionists traditionally stopped talking to their neighbours and went out with their drums banging out 'croppies-lie-down' 'music'.

They hate us, they hate that they live in Ireland surrounded by Irish people. They hate that the towns and cities they live in have names derived from the native language.

They hate that they lost control of their little shithole. They hate that they've engineered a border in the Irish Sea when they were secretly hoping for a border in Ulster driven through Irish people in their Irish towns.

Most of all they hate that it's not two hundred years ago when they called the shots.

Tom. That sounds like the rants or death throws of an aspiration that you know is gone. It’s sad for you I realise. Had the IRA never existed I believe we may be in an almost unified ireland today. The Ira ensured that any idea of it was put back at least 100 years.
    It’s ironic, in the same way as Paisley was bad for the union, the Ira was terrible for a United ireland. Thankfully the Ira were better at it than paisley.

• Advertisement

The_Fitz wrote: »
    What in your opinion would it take for Unionists to at least take part in a conversation about a UI? Having a conversation doesn't mean it's going to happen.

That’s a fair question.
    I can’t see why any unionist would enter such a discussion.
    It would be like an Irish Republican entering a discussion about Eire becoming part of the Uk again. Why would you? You have a great culture, identity etc. Why would you rejoin uk and be absorbed into our culture.
    I respect your wish to remain independent and separate. If rathlin decided to go independent in the morning I would support them.
    There is no need for all this animosity. Francie, Bonnie and junkyard Tom have all said they support the current situation. They don’t want any change until/if my country decide for change. They have gone further and said that whatever my people self determine they will support. That is very generous and I appreciate it

Tom. That sounds like the rants or death throws of an aspiration that you know is gone. It’s sad for you I realise. Had the IRA never existed I believe we may be in an almost unified ireland today. The Ira ensured that any idea of it was put back at least 100 years.
    It’s ironic, in the same way as Paisley was bad for the union, the Ira was terrible for a United ireland. Thankfully the Ira were better at it than paisley.

Your rotten little statelet is in terminal decline and you know it. The border is not coming back, you're not allowed to march where you're not wanted any more, you're allowed to sit in Stormont while the former political wing of the IRA say so. You're getting a border down the Irish Sea, Irish culture in the north is growing stronger year-on-year.

It's painful for you but it's your own fault, you had an opportunity in the 1920's and blew it, you had an opportunity in the the early 1970's and blew it, and you had opportunity in 1998 and have blown that too. Unionism is incapable of reform, it thrives on division but division doesn't serve a minority any more.

You are a people without a country.

Your rotten little statelet is in terminal decline and you know it. The border is not coming back, you're not allowed to march where you're not wanted any more, you're allowed to sit in Stormont while the former political wing of the IRA say so. You're getting a border down the Irish Sea, Irish culture in the north is growing stronger year-on-year.

It's painful for you but it's your own fault, you had an opportunity in the 1920's and blew it, you had an opportunity in the the early 1970's and blew it, and you had opportunity in 1998 and have blown that too. Unionism is incapable of reform, it thrives on division but division doesn't serve a minority any more.

You are a people without a country.

haha
    you say
    it has been a very long wait and does not seem to be getting any closer.
    Tom you have just stated in a recent posts that you support the right of the people of that rotten little statelet to self-determination. So it seems you have okayed it.
    Your analogy about our getting permission of the IRA sit in Stormont, suggests that if you got your united Ireland, that your politicians would only be allowed to sit in the Dail with the permission of us Nordies.

Tom, keep your hair on, I did not mean to upset you tonight. I cannot pretend to have empathy with you, that would only be patronising, but I reckon the prods that were left in Eire 100 years ago would be able to understand your frustrations
    keep your chin up, never say never

That’s a fair question.
    I can’t see why any unionist would enter such a discussion.
    It would be like an Irish Republican entering a discussion about Eire becoming part of the Uk again. Why would you? You have a great culture, identity etc. Why would you rejoin uk and be absorbed into our culture.
    I respect your wish to remain independent and separate. If rathlin decided to go independent in the morning I would support them.
    There is no need for all this animosity. Francie, Bonnie and junkyard Tom have all said they support the current situation. They don’t want any change until/if my country decide for change. They have gone further and said that whatever my people self determine they will support. That is very generous and I appreciate it

Ok - so Unionists will never enter into a conversation to shape a potential new outlook for our island, that is really sad.

Your comparison with the south rejoining the UK is a bit wide off the mark. That doesn't look likely and there isn't a sizeable growing minority in the south who want to rejoin the UK. There are no major political players lobbying for that sort of constitutional change.

Where was my animosity? We have broadly agreed that 50+1% (every 7 years) will be the deciding factor of the north place in the UK until it swings in favour of reunification. Until that happens (or if it ever does happen indeed), as much conversation about the outcome is surely a good thing?

Ok - so Unionists will never enter into a conversation to shape a potential new outlook for our island, that is really sad.

Your comparison with the south rejoining the UK is a bit wide off the mark. That doesn't look likely and there isn't a sizeable growing minority in the south who want to rejoin the UK. There are no major political players lobbying for that sort of constitutional change.

Where was my animosity? We have broadly agreed that 50+1% (every 7 years) will be the deciding factor of the north place in the UK until it swings in favour of reunification. Until that happens (or if it ever does happen indeed), as much conversation about the outcome is surely a good thing?

Fitz you sound like a reasonable guy, but I just find it really interesting how you think that the aspiration of a united Ireland somehow requires the attention of those who have zero interest in such an outcome. You are aware that the graphs show that there is a decreasing interest in Northern Ireland in the island uniting for the first time ever, except under British force.
    It is just not happening in the foreseeable future. I live in a nationalist area, my community was hammered by the IRA. They told us they were going to bomb and shoot us into a united Ireland. They carried out their most horrendous crimes against our neighbours. They tortured and slaughtered them.
    You are being slightly naïve if you think that my community is about to enter a serious discussion about how we can realise their objectives for them.
    The IRA have ensured that a united Ireland will not happen in anyone's lifetime who is currently alive.
    Now if I can be positive. We can be fantastic neighbours. Of course there will always be rivalry as there is with Wales etc. But that can be friendly rivalry. There are nutters on here who want to do away with my football team, my flag, my identity, my culture, my pastimes, my heroes, my royalty, etc etc. it is just an absolute nonsense and is not going to happen.

Let's try and help you Fitz. How would you feel if there had been a 40 year murderous campaign against your community. Their aim was to get you to accept England as their football team, accept the butcher's apron as your flag. They demonised Irish language and Irish dancing as sectarian. They said that you needed to get rid of your president and swear allegiance to the Queen. They wanted you to treat red white and blue as your national colours, etc etc. would you think it would be a good idea to enter discussions about how they could achieve this?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 69,179 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

haha
    you say

You have the three government parties here trying their best not to call it a UI but planning for one anyway and the SDLP who were afraid of the concept of a UI now trying to get in the act, and you have British University studying the mechanisms of holding a BP and you still say things are not moving inexorably to the first border poll? It is much 'closer' than it was even 3 years ago. Try exiting without a deal...that ought to be the tipping point.
    Looks like you are going to make a hash of the strategy again if you cannot even accept where things are heading.

You have the three government parties here trying their best not to call it a UI but planning for one anyway and the SDLP who were afraid of the concept of a UI now trying to get in the act, and you have British University studying the mechanisms of holding a BP and you still say things are not moving inexorably to the first border poll? It is much 'closer' than it was even 3 years ago. Try exiting without a deal...that ought to be the tipping point.
    Looks like you are going to make a hash of the strategy again if you cannot even accept where things are heading.

I did not say there would not be a border poll. I said that Gerry was wrong when he said there would be another one within seven years. It's impossible. The GFA does not allow it.
    It is interesting though that even Gerry is accepting the border poll will fail.

You know guys, I honestly feel a little sad for you when I look at the last few posts and see that your people have been waiting 100 years for the impossible. It cannot be easy. I struggled as we had to wait about 30 years to get to the Euro finals.
    We are talking about generations of your family that have waited. Clearly many generations more are going to wait.
    Do you not think we could have discussions about how we agree that Northern Ireland is the end result. How can we make it a place that everyone feels belonging to. What can we do that makes you guys feel ownership and satisfaction with this wee country?
    What do you think, is it worth starting a thread? On how we can all love Northern Ireland

Fitz you sound like a reasonable guy, but I just find it really interesting how you think that the aspiration of a united Ireland somehow requires the attention of those who have zero interest in such an outcome. You are aware that the graphs show that there is a decreasing interest in Northern Ireland in the island uniting for the first time ever, except under British force.
    It is just not happening in the foreseeable future. I live in a nationalist area, my community was hammered by the IRA. They told us they were going to bomb and shoot us into a united Ireland. They carried out their most horrendous crimes against our neighbours. They tortured and slaughtered them.
    You are being slightly naïve if you think that my community is about to enter a serious discussion about how we can realise their objectives for them.
    The IRA have ensured that a united Ireland will not happen in anyone's lifetime who is currently alive.
    Now if I can be positive. We can be fantastic neighbours. Of course there will always be rivalry as there is with Wales etc. But that can be friendly rivalry. There are nutters on here who want to do away with my football team, my flag, my identity, my culture, my pastimes, my heroes, my royalty, etc etc. it is just an absolute nonsense and is not going to happen.

Let's try and help you Fitz. How would you feel if there had been a 40 year murderous campaign against your community. Their aim was to get you to accept England as their football team, accept the butcher's apron as your flag. They demonised Irish language and Irish dancing as sectarian. They said that you needed to get rid of your president and swear allegiance to the Queen. They wanted you to treat red white and blue as your national colours, etc etc. would you think it would be a good idea to enter discussions about how they could achieve this?

I don't think a UI requires the attention of those who have zero interest, but it definitely helps. Burying heads in sand is good for nobody. Blindly allowing yourselves to fall into a UI would be a disaster for the Unionist community, one that I hope can be stopped.

My community of North Belfast was under a murderous campaign for a lot longer than 40 years. Funny thing is, a lot of the stuff that you have said to make a point, has already been imposed on us in some shape or form over the past 100 years. Apart from the English football team, thankfully never had that imposed on us :D. Butchers Apron, demonising of the Irish Language, swearing allegiance to the Queen, yep all happened.

I'm not interested on getting into an argument of whataboutery. All I want to know, is what would it take to get Unionists to at least discuss a UI. Alliance, who are a Unionist party, will at leastmake some sort of effort to talk.

You know guys, I honestly feel a little sad for you when I look at the last few posts and see that your people have been waiting 100 years for the impossible. It cannot be easy. I struggled as we had to wait about 30 years to get to the Euro finals.
    We are talking about generations of your family that have waited. Clearly many generations more are going to wait.
    Do you not think we could have discussions about how we agree that Northern Ireland is the end result. How can we make it a place that everyone feels belonging to. What can we do that makes you guys feel ownership and satisfaction with this wee country?
    What do you think, is it worth starting a thread? On how we can all love Northern Ireland

Those 100 years could just as legitmately portrayed as Unionism clinging on...moving from sectarian bigoted control to bumbling fundementalists grasping at friends who don't want to be friends.

I hate the NI you guys created BTW.

I don't think a UI requires the attention of those who have zero interest, but it definitely helps. Burying heads in sand is good for nobody. Blindly allowing yourselves to fall into a UI would be a disaster for the Unionist community, one that I hope can be stopped.

My community of North Belfast was under a murderous campaign for a lot longer than 40 years. Funny thing is, a lot of the stuff that you have said to make a point, has already been imposed on us in some shape or form over the past 100 years. Apart from the English football team, thankfully never had that imposed on us :D. Butchers Apron, demonising of the Irish Language, swearing allegiance to the Queen, yep all happened.

I'm not interested on getting into an argument of whataboutery. All I want to know, is what would it take to get Unionists to at least discuss a UI. Alliance, who are a Unionist party, will at leastmake some sort of effort to talk.

Fitz I actually appreciate your attitude. Yes the vast majority of the Alliance party will vote to stay in the United Kingdom but I am not sure I would call in a Unionist party.
    I am interested in whether you would enter discussions on whether we could sign an agreement that Northern Ireland would stay forever within the United Kingdom. That is really what you are asking me to do the other way round

It doesn't matter if it happens in my lifetime. The Orange statelet has been consigned to history, Unionist dominance is finished, the unionist majority is gone.

If the British want to keep paying for the north while we weave the north into Ireland's economy, and society, then that's fine by me but there will be no going back to the days when Unionism ruled. You blew it, get over it.

It doesn't matter if it happens in my lifetime. The Orange statelet has been consigned to history, Unionist dominance is finished, the unionist majority is gone.

If the British want to keep paying for the north while we weave the north into Ireland's economy, and society, then that's fine by me but there will be no going back to the days when Unionism ruled. You blew it, get over it.

And they blew long long before they will lose the demographic superiority.

The image of somebody bumbling around, leaderless, looking for someone to love them is strong. How many times they will take a snub from the British is the thing...it is going to make sense to the moderate unionist for much longer? I doubt it and Alliances growth is confirming it.

Fitz I actually appreciate your attitude. Yes the vast majority of the Alliance party will vote to stay in the United Kingdom but I am not sure I would call in a Unionist party.
    I am interested in whether you would enter discussions on whether we could sign an agreement that Northern Ireland would stay forever within the United Kingdom. That is really what you are asking me to do the other way round

Alliance party are pro status quo, which is staying in the UK. In my opinion they are a Unionist Party, however they are more likely to chat about it.

I would totally enter any discussions that you suggest. I would talk to anyone that would listen, tell them my view, listen to their view. I would want to understand everyone's trepidations as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,835 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

I find it both gas and annoying at the Nordie posts on this thread for both sides which are arguing with each other. Youse are basically two sides of the same coin as far as I am concerned. Youse are basically THE PROBLEM. BOTH SIDES. As far as I am concerned the Brits are welcome to NI. Cos I don't want that cesspit of codology brought down here, thanks very much.

If only everyone in NI/Ulster had Rory Mcllroy's or Barry McGuigan's attitude(s) it would be a much nicer place. No matter what happens in the future UI or not, I think that the Nordies will **** it up.
    And then blame the other side for it (which ever that is).

I have zero faith in any of the political groups leading Unionism and Republicanism. Most looking like gloried County Councillors, and sounding it as well. Clothes thrown on them and being as "Parish pump" as you could get. I would not trust any of them as far as I could throw them, and I actually pity NI voters for the choices they realistically have.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Advertisement

I find it both gas and annoying at the Nordie posts on this thread for both sides which are arguing with each other.

God love ye if you think this is an issue that is contained in the north. You'll learn the hard way that civil war politics is set to be replaced by those who seek a United Ireland and those who seek to stop it, pick your side because that's how this plays out.

I find it both gas and annoying at the Nordie posts on this thread for both sides which are arguing with each other. Youse are basically two sides of the same coin as far as I am concerned. Youse are basically THE PROBLEM. BOTH SIDES. As far as I am concerned the Brits are welcome to NI. Cos I don't want that cesspit of codology brought down here, thanks very much.

If only everyone in NI/Ulster had Rory Mcllroy's or Barry McGuigan's attitude(s) it would be a much nicer place. No matter what happens in the future UI or not, I think that the Nordies will **** it up.

I have zero faith in any of the political groups leading Unionism and Republicanism. Most looking like gloried County Councillors, and sounding it as well. Clothes thrown on them and being as "Parish pump" as you could get. I would not trust any of them as far as I could throw them, and I actually pity NI voters for the choices they realistically have.

Insightful. You'd honestly think it was only the people in the 6 counties who created the environment for whatever sh*tshow has happened. Total ignorance of history.

Thanks for saying that Brits are welcome to me :D

Stormont is a glorified super council, so the politicians in the north looking like councillors isn't exactly shocking.

Yeah I think Rory and Barry are two great examples of where we need to aim for. Two Catholics who know that ‘we are NI’ but also comfortable with their irishness. I have a bit of a journey to be comfortable to being associated with irishness as the ira/sf have poisoned that idea so much. But I am up for the journey. Some others here need to get comfortable with their Britishness

• Registered Users Posts: 18,835 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

Some others here need to get comfortable with their Britishness

It will forever be denied as it is just not the 'Irish' thing to do never mind Republicanism. All the cultural links (aside from politics) between Britain and Ireland are ignored when it does not fit a narrative. So many links at this stage lines have blurred. Personally as I have already stated, there is more that links Ireland to Britain than differentiates it these days. It is just a fact of life and the way of the world.

Even when I was only a small child vaguely watching the News about NI. I knew it was different up there. I still remember when I was brought to Newry to go shopping (must have been a deal on exchange rate or something).

I brought an Ireland Green, White and Orange woolly hat with me (on the sly) hid in my pocket. I thought it would be great gas to put it on when I got out of the car. I knew WE were 'Ireland' you see!

My Mother did not see the funny side, and in a panic took the hat off me. And was very worried. I got really given out to for it. Not understanding the implications.

If I was affected enough just by watching the news as a child. God knows the affect of living in NI has on peoples formative years. It is no wonder minds are warped and manipulated. It will take years to clean that out of NI psyche I think. Because that has to be done for any real progress.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

Yeah I think Rory and Barry are two great examples of where we need to aim for. Two Catholics who know that ‘we are NI’ but also comfortable with their irishness. I have a bit of a journey to be comfortable to being associated with irishness as the ira/sf have poisoned that idea so much. But I am up for the journey. Some others here need to get comfortable with their Britishness

Irish people long ago accepted the heritage the British left. They fight to preserve it in buildings and in our oral and written history.
    I have no issue with the fact the British were here as long as that period is not rewritten.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,186 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

You are in denial downcow about the political realities. The British govt have stated they are neutral on the north’s future in the U.K. unlike their position on Scottish independence. could you imagine the Irish govt saying that about say a region like Connacht Or Munster? The writing is on the wall as the north us dispensable. The only question is when the conditions are right for the calling of such a poll. Peter Robinson can even see the inevitable drift of events.

It will forever be denied as it is just not the 'Irish' thing to do never mind Republicanism. All the cultural links (aside from politics) between Britain and Ireland are ignored when it does not fit a narrative. So many links at this stage lines have blurred. Personally as I have already stated, there is more that links Ireland to Britain than differentiates it these days. It is just a fact of life and the way of the world.

Even when I was only a small child vaguely watching the News about NI. I knew it was different up there. I still remember when I was brought to Newry to go shopping (must have been a deal on exchange rate or something).

I brought an Ireland Green, White and Orange woolly hat with me (on the sly) hid in my pocket. I thought it would be great gas to put it on when I got out of the car. I knew WE were 'Ireland' you see!

My Mother did not see the funny side, and in a panic took the hat off me. And was very worried. I got really given out to for it. Not understanding the implications.

If I was affected enough just by watching the news as a child. God knows the affect of living in NI has on peoples formative years. It is no wonder minds are warped and manipulated. It will take years to clean that out of NI psyche I think. Because that has to be done for any real progress.

this is one of the saddest legacies of all, of the conflict. There are few other places in the western world where the population are afraid to display their identity, for fear of attack, or more likely, simply because they think it would be bad manners and may offend. The second bit is actually the saddest of all. Most of us do it up here. I am passionate about my national team, but would never dream of wearing my jersey anywhere in Northern Ireland other than on the day of the game (I used to work to the twelfth etc, but I have staff that as I do not want I team associated with one side community). That is purely because I know some people will misread it and think I am trying to offend, or even that I am some sort of sectarian bigot.
    Actually reflecting on what I have just written, it is not across the whole community. It is a particular affliction for those of us who have grown up and live as a minority. I think we are much more tuned in to the impact of what we wear on others. As a young person the only time I could express my identity and wear what I liked was when I visited Unionist areas or went to the 12th. I soon learnt that you do not do it in nationalist areas unless you have a head start and wearing your trainers.
    I know I will get slated for this, but my observation is that the unionist community have developed greater tolerance to the expression of Irish culture, whether that be Irish music, GAA shirts, etc. I see Nationalists in Unionist areas happily wearing their GAA shirts etc. This tolerance, unfortunately is not replicated in most nationalist areas towards Unionist culture. And of course tolerance is only the first step, we really need to get to respect, and then the ultimate goal would be celebrating each other's diversity.

Q Francie to remind us that my culture is rotten!

You are in denial downcow about the political realities. The British govt have stated they are neutral on the north’s future in the U.K. unlike their position on Scottish independence. could you imagine the Irish govt saying that about say a region like Connacht Or Munster? The writing is on the wall as the north us dispensable. The only question is when the conditions are right for the calling of such a poll. Peter Robinson can even see the inevitable drift of events.

Your problem is that deep down you believe that it somehow more proper that the island is united, because it is surrounded by sea.
    I don't believe the United Kingdom would stand in the way of any country who voted by more than 50% today whether that be England Scotland Wales or Northern Ireland.
    I could just as easily say the writing is on the wall for the permanency of Northern Ireland since your country has removed its claim over it.
    Somebody was telling us a few posts ago how the writing has been on the wall now for a century. So if you remain happy with the writing on the wall then we are all honky dorey

this is one of the saddest legacies of all, of the conflict. There are few other places in the western world where the population are afraid to display their identity, for fear of attack, or more likely, simply because they think it would be bad manners and may offend. The second bit is actually the saddest of all. Most of us do it up here. I am passionate about my national team, but would never dream of wearing my jersey anywhere in Northern Ireland other than on the day of the game (I used to work to the twelfth etc, but I have staff that as I do not want I team associated with one side community). That is purely because I know some people will misread it and think I am trying to offend, or even that I am some sort of sectarian bigot.
    Actually reflecting on what I have just written, it is not across the whole community. It is a particular affliction for those of us who have grown up and live as a minority. I think we are much more tuned in to the impact of what we wear on others. As a young person the only time I could express my identity and wear what I liked was when I visited Unionist areas or went to the 12th. I soon learnt that you do not do it in nationalist areas unless you have a head start and wearing your trainers.
    I know I will get slated for this, but my observation is that the unionist community have developed greater tolerance to the expression of Irish culture, whether that be Irish music, GAA shirts, etc. I see Nationalists in Unionist areas happily wearing their GAA shirts etc. This tolerance, unfortunately is not replicated in most nationalist areas towards Unionist culture. And of course tolerance is only the first step, we really need to get to respect, and then the ultimate goal would be celebrating each other's diversity.

Q Francie to remind us that my culture is rotten!

I'll continue to remind you that the bigoted sectarian and belligerent part of your 'culture' is 'rotten'. The society you created after partition was 'rotten'.

An International Agreement between two sovereign countries had to be created above your heads to fix that society. A whole Commission had to be established to get your community to recognise the issues surrounding the expression of your 'culture'. Your own OO is dying out because decent unionists do not want any association with it's archaic religious sectarianism and bigotry.

For once you could have the self awareness to thank them (the Parades Commission) for allowing you a base to celebrate your culture with respect for others.

Nobody has an issue with your culture when you do this as we have seen.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,186 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

Your problem is that deep down you believe that it somehow more proper that the island is united, because it is surrounded by sea.
    I don't believe the United Kingdom would stand in the way of any country who voted by more than 50% today whether that be England Scotland Wales or Northern Ireland.
    I could just as easily say the writing is on the wall for the permanency of Northern Ireland since your country has removed its claim over it.
    Somebody was telling us a few posts ago how the writing has been on the wall now for a century. So if you remain happy with the writing on the wall then we are all honky dorey

I believe the island being divided is rediculous yes. Scotland is different as U.K. give campaigned vigorously to keep it. Why? Scotland is seen by tories and labour as intrinsic part of the U.K. and it leaving would dissolve the union. Northern Ireland isn’t seen as such. It will be easily discarded without any efforts by the U.K. govt to keep it. You know that as well as I do.

Advertisement