Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How long before Irish reunification? (Part 2) Threadbans in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,845 ✭✭✭timthumbni

Do they still spit at people for wearing GAA jerseys....or is now just confined to screaming sectarian abuse at schoolkids with hurleys for social media likes??

Talking of the GAA does their clubs still provide guards of honour at dissident terrorists funerals (Like for example in Bellaghy)?

At least anyone on the police can play the game now. Weird sporting organisation that bans people due to their profession. Can’t think of any other so called sporting organisation that did this. But its the most political sporting organisation I can think of.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,300 ✭✭✭✭jm08

timthumbni wrote: »
    Talking of the GAA does their clubs still provide guards of honour at dissident terrorists funerals (Like for example in Bellaghy)?

GAA will do guard of honours for club members. Its non-political organisation.

At least anyone on the police can play the game now. Weird sporting organisation that bans people due to their profession. Can’t think of any other so called sporting organisation that did this. But its the most political sporting organisation I can think of.

I think the GAA had a bit of a problem with the British Army putting watch towers on their grounds (such as in Crossmaglen). The harrasment and shooting of GAA members such as Aidan McMcAnespie (shot in the back by the British Army) didn't go down too well with the GAA membership either.

jm08 wrote: »
    GAA will do guard of honours for club members. Its non-political organisation.
    I think the GAA had a bit of a problem with the British Army putting watch towers on their grounds (such as in Crossmaglen). The harrasment and shooting of GAA members such as Aidan McMcAnespie (shot in the back by the British Army) didn't go down too well with the GAA membership either.

Not political??? Lolz. Doing a guard of honour for a club member is fine. But what if it turned out that club member was a child molester. Would the local GAA club provide a guard then? Would they feck...

But they appear to have no problems with a convicted republican (And a dissident one at that) terrorist. Wonder why???

Also for a Supposedly non political organisation slightly strange they had rules that no one in the security forces could play. Sounds very political to me. No other so called sporting body in NI had any such rules. It would have been ridiculous but the GAA got away with it. Discrimination in all its glory by Gaelic types.

I always remember that poor Gaelic playing catholic policeman who had his legs blown off by Irish republicans and the lack of support from his gaa club. (indeed did he not even think he was set up by people connected to the club) Charming people and organisation. (If you are the right sort of course)

I know that if for example my kids football or hockey club decided to do a guard of honour for one of its members who was a known loyalist terrorist then my child would be removed from the club and not attending any such nonsense. This doesn’t seem to be an issue for nationalist parents. (In Bellaghy anyway)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,626 ✭✭✭✭downcow

Do they still spit at people for wearing GAA jerseys....or is now just confined to screaming sectarian abuse at schoolkids with hurleys for social media likes??

I would not even respond to nonsense like this, except people like you continue to try to poison the minds of people in the south about what the marching bands are all about.
    People walkabout through the 12th now in GAA tops to try to get a reaction and they always fail. The discipline is very impressive.
    All I can do is give posters a little example of what people like Blaaz do at practically every parade, and the reaction of the bands.
    This video is posted by a Republican, so not tampered with, and he was outnumbered about 200 to 1 when he was filming it and trying to be as abusive as possible. This is very normal behaviour unfortunately
    https://www.tiktok.com/@d12life/video/6848984022475951366?source=h5_m

Not political??? Lolz. Doing a guard of honour for a club member is fine. But what if it turned out that club member was a child molester. Would the local GAA club provide a guard then? Would they feck...

A convicted child molester would never be a member of a GAA club, so would not get a guard of honour for his funeral.
    But they appear to have no problems with a convicted republican (And a dissident one at that) terrorist. Wonder why???

He wasn't convicted. https://www.irishnews.com/news/2016/10/11/news/widow-of-declan-mcglinchey-hits-out-at-hugely-disrespectful-republican-anniversary-parade-729321/

Also for a Supposedly non political organisation slightly strange they had rules that no one in the security forces could play. Sounds very political to me. No other so called sporting body in NI had any such rules. It would have been ridiculous but the GAA got away with it. Discrimination in all its glory by Gaelic types.

British Security Forces were not welcome simply because they wanted to smash the GAA as they regarded it as ''The IRA at play''.

I always remember that poor Gaelic playing catholic policeman who had his legs blown off by Irish republicans and the lack of support from his gaa club. (indeed did he not even think he was set up by people connected to the club) Charming people and organisation. (If you are the right sort of course)

Actually, Joe Brolly was very criticial about those in the GAA who did that.

• Advertisement

downcow wrote: »
    I would not even respond to nonsense like this, except people like you continue to try to poison the minds of people in the south about what the marching bands are all about.
    People walkabout through the 12th now in GAA tops to try to get a reaction and they always fail. The discipline is very impressive.
    All I can do is give posters a little example of what people like Blaaz do at practically every parade, and the reaction of the bands.
    This video is posted by a Republican, so not tampered with, and he was outnumbered about 200 to 1 when he was filming it and trying to be as abusive as possible. This is very normal behaviour unfortunately

Away back over ta England ta **** and up the ra was some of this Republican types memorable highlights in that video. I’m almost embarrassed for him. This will probably get him up the list to be a SF councillor though so maybe worth it for him.

Hardly an island of equals for this specimen.

Have you listened to that ''Glorious 12th'' podcast yet DC? It would be interesting to hear your reaction to what they thought of it all, wouldn't you think?

Away back over ta England ta **** and up the ra was some of this Republican types memorable highlights in that video. I’m almost embarrassed for him. This will probably get him up the list to be a SF councillor though so maybe worth it for him.

Hardly an island of equals for this specimen.

A bit of straw clutching here I think.

What did the GAA do to drive protestant families out of your town?

Whats the important bit of your band culture? The marching or the playing of music?

There has been plenty of people who have made documentaries on the 12th like John Creedon which was very interesting. Here is the Irish Passport Podcast on the ''Glorious 12th''. I'd be interesting to hear what you have to say about their experience of it, DC.

https://www.theirishpassport.com/podcast/s2-episode-9-the-glorious-twelfth/

I think these may be genuine questions so I will try to answer.

The last two Protestant families moved out of the centre of my town the day after a Wolfe tones concert in the GAA club. The town was taken over by a huge mob of nasty angry Republicans. All afternoon it was extremely intimidating to even drive through the town. As the event in the GAA club ended the two Protestant homes were identified and had their windows broken by a cheering mob. I know the families well, and they were petrified. The police would not come to their assistance - and I suppose I can understand why. This was an annual 'attack the Prods' event which the GAA held.
    That, believe it or not, was the last night that a Protestant has slept in the centre of the town. Very sad.

Whats the important bit of your band culture?

I think it is just the unique nature of the event. It stirs up a lot as the bands come past. It's everything. It's the music, the colour, the skill, the pride, and most of all it is that your local bands are part of it containing your neighbours and friends. But maybe the most enjoyable bit of all is how everyone comes together and feels like family. No one feels threatened by each other. Old grannies, Young children and dodgy-looking teenagers on the drink, and yet total respect for each other, and looking after each other.
    It really is very difficult to explain. The nearest thing I can describe is when I go on away trips with Northern Ireland football. It's the comradery. But the way football trips are not the same as it is mainly a group of men, the parades are everyone, and everyone seems to enjoy them equally from the toddler waving the flag in the pushchair to the granny enjoying her ice cream. And I think the community get something special out of enjoying an event which their teenagers seem to be even more connected to and loving it.
    There is no question that the sectarian activities of the IRA strengthened the marching band scene in a way that could not be imagined.

Yes I will certainly watch the link

A convicted child molester would never be a member of a GAA club, so would not get a guard of honour for his funeral.

He wasn't convicted.
    Actually, Joe Brolly was very criticial about those in the GAA who did that.

Re convicted it was a paramilitary funeral with the starry plough and black gloves on his coffin irrespective. Also volley of shots fired so hardly confusing. As I said the parents of the kids in Bellaghy obviously didn’t mind.

Well, if Joe Brolly was critical then that makes everything ok then. I saw the piece on TV with him and the victim (who was a Gael himself)No comments from the GAA bigwigs themselves though which was telling.

• Advertisement

I think these may be genuine questions so I will try to answer.

The last two Protestant families moved out of the centre of my town the day after a Wolfe tones concert in the GAA club. The town was taken over by a huge mob of nasty angry Republicans. All afternoon it was extremely intimidating to even drive through the town. As the event in the GAA club ended the two Protestant homes were identified and had their windows broken by a cheering mob. I know the families well, and they were petrified. The police would not come to their assistance - and I suppose I can understand why. This was an annual 'attack the Prods' event which the GAA held.
    That, believe it or not, was the last night that a Protestant has slept in the centre of the town. Very sad.

So, this has nothing to do with the GAA other than there was a Wolfetone Concert in the local GAA hall? With that kind of logic, the Orange Order were responsible for the death of the three Quinn boys.

What do you say to catholics who were burnt out of their homes? Are you surprised if they don't forgive protestants for doing that? Take Bobby Storey for example - burnt out of 3 homes by protestants by the age of 14. He joined the IRA at 16.

Whats the important bit of your band culture?
    I think it is just the unique nature of the event. It stirs up a lot as the bands come past. It's everything. It's the music, the colour, the skill, the pride, and most of all it is that your local bands are part of it containing your neighbours and friends. But maybe the most enjoyable bit of all is how everyone comes together and feels like family. No one feels threatened by each other. Old grannies, Young children and dodgy-looking teenagers on the drink, and yet total respect for each other, and looking after each other.
    It really is very difficult to explain. The nearest thing I can describe is when I go on away trips with Northern Ireland football. It's the comradery. But the way football trips are not the same as it is mainly a group of men, the parades are everyone, and everyone seems to enjoy them equally from the toddler waving the flag in the pushchair to the granny enjoying her ice cream. And I think the community get something special out of enjoying an event which their teenagers seem to be even more connected to and loving it.
    There is no question that the sectarian activities of the IRA strengthened the marching band scene in a way that could not be imagined.

Yes I will certainly watch the link

What do you say to people who feel threatened by these activities. Is that part of the enjoyment of them?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Junkyard Tom

Mining Tik Tok for gob****es, the desperation, it's funny.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Who ever said non-political? The GAA was an inherently political organisation just like the Orange order. Unlike the Orange order it was never a sectarian one

Have you listened to that ''Glorious 12th'' podcast yet DC? It would be interesting to hear your reaction to what they thought of it all, wouldn't you think?

Thanks for that
    I had listened to it before, but I took the time there to listen to almost one hour of it.
    Sound like two really nice people who done their best to get under the skin.
    Really interesting and accurate in places, but very very naïve in other places.
    I don't blame them for this, and I guess it is only to be expected, but they headed for the most controversial bonfire they could find. There are thousands bonfires, and certainly hundreds of big community ones. There is an incredible range of what is accepted at these bonfires. This is inevitable because they are completely independent of the orange or anyone else for that matter - sometimes local community groups organise them.
    I completely understand how they felt, but you know the most of what we fear is inside ourselves. If I went tonight to a big event in the Fellons club I would feel exactly how they felt a fire.
    Indeed we used to do bus tours of Belfast with cross community groups. In the debrief it was always very interesting to hear how, as we criss-cross the peace line, one or our other community felt relieved while the other felt fear coming on.
    I think it would have been really helpful for their documentary if they had spoken to people from Northern Ireland e.g. band members.
    I think they had some sense of their own prejudice, but I am not sure they realised how much it was impacting their reporting. Just an example of this was when they said that the English guy had given the reason for attending the twelth was racism - he was clearly racist, but to the best of my knowledge he did not give that as a reason for coming to the 12th.
    I know that Junkyard has just expressed his dislike of me posting a tiktok video, but the very worst expressions 'we hate Catholics' song that they played from the fire - I can post you a tiktok video taken in my local Chinese takeaway within one of me being in it, which shows in Packed to the Rafters on a Saturday night doing just the opposite of what they recorded.
    I don't think there is a community and the world, that you couldn't go and find the most extreme form of drunken behaviour and it sound very shocking in the clear light of day.
    But I am not walking away from what they recorded. I wish the small minority of fires who behave like this would clean up their act - but actually all they are doing is demonstrating how the division in this place has made them sectarian. Just the same as the Tyrone senior GAA team when they, as grown men, chant IRA at a group of young Unionist girls

Re convicted it was a paramilitary funeral with the starry plough and black gloves on his coffin irrespective. Also volley of shots fired so hardly confusing. As I said the parents of the kids in Bellaghy obviously didn’t mind.

He still wasn't convicted of anything. That article I linked also said that he had come around to supporting the GFA. His wife also said that she didn't want a paramilitary commemoration, that she just wanted a normal life.

Well, if Joe Brolly was critical then that makes everything ok then. I saw the piece on TV with him and the victim (who was a Gael himself)No comments from the GAA bigwigs themselves though which was telling.

Not true. Ulster Council of the GAA condemned it. Oh, and for the record, it was dissident republicans that caused his injury.

In a statement issued to the News Letter yesterday evening, the Ulster GAA Council said that, since the removal of Rule 21 by the GAA Congress (which banned members of the British security forces from membership of the organisation), it has ” worked closely with the PSNI to promote a range of initiatives to benefit all of the community”.

A spokesperson added: “In this time, many GAA members have joined the PSNI with advertisements for PSNI recruitment carried in GAA publications, including All-Ireland finals match programmes.”

The Province’s ruling GAA body also said it was working with Peadar and other members of the PSNI in “developing better relationships for all in our society”.

It added that in recent weeks an International Police Gaelic football tournament involving four police teams (An Garda Síochána, London Metropolitan Police, New York Police Department, and the PSNI) was held in Belfast.

https://www.newsletter.co.uk/news/gaa-club-should-say-sorry-its-psni-member-bomb-victim-1072192

Bambi wrote: »
    Who ever said non-political? The GAA was an inherently political organisation just like the Orange order. Unlike the Orange order it was never a sectarian one

Bambi, you must be having a laugh. Are you really serious when you say it was never a sectarian organisation.
    This is probably a good chance for some decent Republicans with some integrity to come on here and tell Bambi to wise up!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,503 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

Well, the source is John McGuirk who is a ring wing conservative catholic who was Director of Libertas that opposed the Lisbon Treaty and claims that Irish people do not understand the EU! He opposed the 8th Amendment, LGBT rights, etc. etc. Nice you have pals who are conservative catholics DC and who thoughtfully forwarded you that article!

Most Irish people see being a net contributor as a good thing because it is based on how well you are doing as EU contributions are based on affordability. In the event of a UI, Ireland would probably end up being a net beneficiary, so irrelevant to the UI question.

Play the ball ,not the man

It's not just John McGuirk who has criticised the deal, we are second behind Luxembourg in terms of contributions per head and double what France is putting in

Bambi, you must be having a laugh. Are you really serious when you say it was never a sectarian organisation.
    This is probably a good chance for some decent Republicans with some integrity to come on here and tell Bambi to wise up!

Sam maguire....who the most famous trophy in GAA is named after was a church of ireland member??

Bob hillard,a church of ireland pastor,killed fighting for republicans in 1937 in spain,founded the trinty hurling club (nearly sure he hurled intercounty for kerry too)

Jack boothman,the man credited with foresight to redevelop croke park,was the first prodestant president of the GAA??

Hardly any need to continue?

Bambi wrote: »

One of your fellow posters said this. I agree with you totally though that the GAA is not simply a sporting body, but rather a political one too. I’m glad you admit it.

Re not being sectarian that’s a different matter. You must be having a laugh. All animals are equal, but some animals are more equal than others type of thing going on there. Most sectarian sport in NI by a long way.

Sam maguire....who the most famous trophy in GAA is named after was a church of ireland member??

Bob hillard,a church of ireland pastor,killed fighting for republicans in 1937 in spain,founded the trinty hurling club (nearly sure he hurled intercounty for kerry too)

Jack boothman,the man credited with foresight to redevelop croke park,was the first prodestant president of the GAA??

Hardly any need to continue?

What a load of nonsense.
    The butcher was a british agent. That doesn’t mean the IRA were not antibritish

• Advertisement

What a load of nonsense.

The Ira weren’t anti British. Despite the Brits Out and numerous murderS they carried out, they were basically just a simple civil rights organisation. How dare you..

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Did the GAA ever have ban on people joining because of their religion?

How about the Orange Order on that front?

What a load of nonsense.

Except this isnt what it related to??
    Yous said the GAA were a sectarian organisation....upon having your arse handed to you factually,you proceed to dismiss it as rubbish and move goalposts....up the path bluffer

• Registered Users Posts: 6,186 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

It actually beggars belief the nonsense on here from Unionst posters trying to somehow portray the 12th as some family day out and the gaa as sectarian. The 12th is built on hatred and is a divisive holiday. The gaa was set up to bring people together and thankfully despite sectarian security forces up north trying to prevent it it thrived. When you look at the league farces of the Fai and ifa (most clubs virtually broke) you can only admire what the gaa has achieved. I played gaa with plenty creeds not that I cared as it’s all a load of crap anyway. I see a gaa club recently set up in east Belfast and I hope it thrives.

One of your fellow posters said this. I agree with you totally though that the GAA is not simply a sporting body, but rather a political one too. I’m glad you admit it.

Re not being sectarian that’s a different matter. You must be having a laugh. All animals are equal, but some animals are more equal than others type of thing going on there. Most sectarian sport in NI by a long way.

GAA Rule 8 states that the Association 'shall be non party political and that party political questions shall not be discussed at its meetings and no committee, club, council or representative shall take part as such in any political movement'.

The GAA does not get involved in Referenda either, with some GAA members who didn't support the 8th Amendment to the Constitution (Abortion) told they could not get involved in it using the GAA as a platform.

As for sectarianism / racism - the ref is empowered to send off anyone caught and they get an 8 week ban.

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-northern-ireland-26310713

It actually beggars belief the nonsense on here from Unionst posters trying to somehow portray the 12th as some family day out and the gaa as sectarian. The 12th is built on hatred and is a divisive holiday. The gaa was set up to bring people together and thankfully despite sectarian security forces up north trying to prevent it it thrived. When you look at the league farces of the Fai and ifa (most clubs virtually broke) you can only admire what the gaa has achieved. I played gaa with plenty creeds not that I cared as it’s all a load of crap anyway. I see a gaa club recently set up in east Belfast and I hope it thrives.

Round my part of the world they have been known for holding sf meetings, a place for the ira colour party to change before and after commemorative parades, The only building prepared to let the wolf tones in, and a place where black people get abused - let me know if you want the links lol - and that’s just in and around my wee town
    But they are not sectarian lol

Mad_maxx wrote: »
    Play the ball ,not the man

It's not just John McGuirk who has criticised the deal, we are second behind Luxembourg in terms of contributions per head and double what France is putting in

The man is anti EU because of its liberal values. His catholic conservatisism is relevant.

So, do you think that it would have been better if Ireland suffered as badly as Italy and France with Covid as Ireland wouldn't have to pay as much money into the EU?

GAA Rule 8 states that the Association 'shall be non party political and that party political questions shall not be discussed at its meetings and no committee, club, council or representative shall take part as such in any political movement'.

The GAA does not get involved in Referenda either, with some GAA members who didn't support the 8th Amendment to the Constitution (Abortion) told they could not get involved in it using the GAA as a platform.

As for sectarianism / racism - the ref is empowered to send off anyone caught and they get an 8 week ban.

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-northern-ireland-26310713

What happened the Tyrone senior players for their sectarian abuse of young girls ?

What happened the Tyrone senior players for their sectarian abuse of young girls ?

Is that the incident that Micky Harte, manager of the Tyrone team apologised immediately for and Tyrone GAA invited Arlene to a game afterwards which she went to?

You might enjoy this interview DC from Off the Ball about it where the Sunday Times reporter describes a trip he made as NI football correspondent on a trip to Latvia!
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iqBf9Hfl7VA

Edit: According to this newspaper report, no offences were committed:
    "Following enquiries, no offences have been detected in relation to a video that was circulated online," he said.

However, someone on the bus has accepted a fine over behaviour that is not related to the video.

"A male on the bus was spoken to and has been issued with a penalty notice for disorder in relation to a public order offence," Mr Baird said.

Tyrone GAA manager, Mickey Harte, issued a statement after the incident apologising to "anyone who has been offended by the unacceptable behaviour of some of the panel on Saturday evening".

https://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/news/northern-ireland/no-offences-over-tyrone-gaa-team-bus-sectarian-singing-row-video-say-police-38327082.html

• Advertisement

Is that the incident that Micky Harte, manager of the Tyrone team apologised immediately for and Tyrone GAA invited Arlene to a game afterwards which she went to?

You might enjoy this interview DC from Off the Ball about it where the Sunday Times reporter describes a trip he made as NI football correspondent on a trip to Latvia!
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iqBf9Hfl7VA

Edit: According to this newspaper report, no offences were committed:

https://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/news/northern-ireland/no-offences-over-tyrone-gaa-team-bus-sectarian-singing-row-video-say-police-38327082.html

I am interested in what discipline they received for their sectarian abuse of young girls. Not that interested in someone else apologising when he wasn’t involved

Or maybe you are claiming they didn’t abuse the young girls

Advertisement