Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The USA

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,362 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

Who is out there trying to improve things? To do the right thing?

A black man gets kneeled upon until he dies- horrifically wrong

A protest begins which turns into looting and destruction-wrong

Trump Tweets about shooting looters-wrong

Twitter imposed censorship-wrong

A CNN journalist is arrested-wrong

Who is doing the right things out there?

Twitter can do what they like because they are private company and set their own rules. Fact checking isn't censorship

Twitter shouldn't be in same conversation as other things you listed.

What about:

Nazis marching down middle of us city with torches
    Mass shootings out of control
    Bombs sent to journalists
    Wealth inequality at highest level ever
    Race relations at lowest level in decades

• Registered Users Posts: 23,762 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

GY_1980 wrote: »
    Why the hell does every thread about the US on here become an argument about Trump?

Because they see the US through the prism of Trump as president.

The reality is most Americans are ashamed and embarrassed of him.

Once you get outside his base he is despised.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,696 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

Why the hell does every thread about the US on here become an argument about Trump?

Because he is the single most significant politician in many of our lifetimes.

What? How? I hear you say. He has influenced political conversation and societal discourse more than any one individual since maybe Mandela.

It is both fascinating and worrying to be in the middle of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 322 ✭✭double jobbing

Blaze420 wrote: »
    the biggest ****ing retard on the planet is the president....

I'm fairly sure that person is either our health minister or the former Solidarity TD for the Blanchardstown area.

It's a hotly contested title.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,952 ✭✭✭kravmaga

What a KIP of a country it is. That's all.

Why? Have you ever been to the USA? On what basis are you basing your opinion that the USA is a kip?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,374 ✭✭✭Indestructable

rossie1977 wrote: »
    Twitter can do what they like because they are private company and set their own rules. Fact checking isn't censorship

Twitter shouldn't be in same conversation as other things you listed.

What about:

Nazis marching down middle of us city with torches
    Mass shootings out of control
    Bombs sent to journalists
    Wealth inequality at highest level ever
    Race relations at lowest level in decades

Fair enough.

I'll also add machine gun wielding men legally protesting within a Goveners office. How ****ing nuts is that.

• Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭Madeleine Birchfield

The George Floyd thread isn't about Trump (yet).

But for this thread specifically, the OP opened the thread stating that the US is a kip, which ultimately is going to lead to a debate on whether or how Donald Trump is destroying the social fabric of the US through his actions in the past few years.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,374 ✭✭✭Indestructable

But Kermit, to be fair, around 50 million voted for him, and will do so again in a few months. He might have lost the popular vote but around 48% of the voting population support him.
    How can that be justified.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 65 ✭✭GY_1980

I’ve been to the US with Bush, Obama and Trump as President. Nothing changed. It’s the same place.

Most Americans never even talk about politics or the President. They’re more likely to talk about Conor McGregor or explain to you how they’re Irish or something.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,696 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

I’ve been to the US with Bush, Obama and Trump as President. Nothing changed. It’s the same place.

Most Americans never even talk about politics or the President. They’re more likely to talk about Conor McGregor or explain to you how they’re Irish or something.

I'm currently living in US and actually find that people will mention politics quite readily once you are in any way outside of the usual basic introductory comments.

They will not directly comment on someone maybe but will make a remark which will very clearly show their allegiance, and if you want to discuss it with them in detail they will. But very few express any interest in the alternative view to theirs more so than I find people in Ireland generally are.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,305 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

Lived in the US for 7 years now. In my experience its nothing like what many on here think. Vast majority of people are good people just living their lives. They aren't constantly debating politics and fighting with each other, and they know how to pull together and help out when bad things happen.

Yes it has its problems but the good outweighs the bad IMO and most people want change when it comes to the deep seated societal issues around race and poverty.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 65 ✭✭GY_1980

I'm currently living in US and actually find that people will mention politics quite readily once you are in any way outside of the usual basic introductory comments.

They will not directly comment on someone maybe but will make a remark which will very clearly show their allegiance, and if you want to discuss it with them in detail they will. But very few express any interest in the alternative view to theirs more so than I find people in Ireland generally are.

It happened on a small few occasions on nights out where people would ask about my feelings on Trump, politics, etc. but I’d avoid the question and act ignorant about their politics.

For the most part, I found Americans polite (much more polite than the average Irish person) and welcoming. Most of their cities have different cultures and atmospheres. I never felt unsafe there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭Mr. Karate

For the most part you don't notice who the President is until your Federal Taxes either go way up or way down. Changes to your day to day life are from the state level.

Its only the people that live online that obsess about politics. Everybody else just goes about their day to day lives until election time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

It's a country that has more or less burnt up all it's good will at this stage.

When I was a child it still had a whiff of glamour about it - the sheer scale of the cities and the cars. A time of rampant consumerism that in the 80s didn't seem so awful to be honest - Dallas, Dynasty, Back to the Future, ET, Van Halen. It all seemed quite exciting in a good way now I'm older and it looks like a place locked into a neurosis about itself and the wider world. For good or ill it presumed to lead the way now it's not even doing that. It's turned in on itself and is in relative decline as China sits there watching and waiting to deliver the coup de grace in the next 20 years at which point we'll wish it was still acting as the worlds policeman I suspect. It's not as if Joe Biden is going to pull the fat from the fire either. He could be dead by November.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 904 ✭✭✭Blaze420

Mark Shaw wrote: »
    Irish people who hate America are seriously cringey.

Irish people who fawn over it are ten times worse

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

"Matt Damon was in Ireland and he liked us who-hoooo"

Not really. People like you who make hating America their identity are just cringe.

Still haven't got over the first Gulf War, eh?

Don’t care about the gulf war and don’t give two ****s about America pal so go fish elsewhere

• Registered Users Posts: 42 Billhook

I'm keeping it simple, America never effected me enough to get triggered or hateful like a lot of poster's you'd see here in board's.

I love America, it's a place I'd love to live in, especially upstate New York.

Those sleepy towns, big tree's and amazing culture.

Reading this makes me want to wrap a flag around myself and suggest make America great again.
    My job depends on Americans I run my own tourism company and when I get back on my feet I'll be providing accomodation and tour's again.
    Luckily the only overheads I have is general day to day living.
    The tourism industry put a 7 figure sum in my Bank account over the last 25 year's and I'm able to draw on the interest.

The fact that you called America a kip and the president a 'retard' would suggest you spend a great deal of time seething over America.

No I just react to what I see, much like your idol trump. He’s a retard - it’s the perfect word to describe him, the most beautiful perfect word ever.

SEETHING
    E
    E
    T
    H
    I
    N
    G

Awww you posted Trumptards spelling & eyesight test - fair play :)

• Advertisement

The fact that you called America a kip and the president a 'retard' would suggest you spend a great deal of time seething over America.

I'd say so, imagine living in perpetual fear of foreign lands and ignoring our own beautiful country.
    Imagine never experiencing lying in the bog and searching for a sky lark and hearing it's tweets, walking along the beach in Dunquinn on a summer's morning and seeing a shoal of mackerel herding sprat.
    Or a solitary Mullet cruising the seawall on a glassy summer's evening, the gulls hanging out on a pier wall.

Billhook wrote: »
    I'd say so, imagine living in perpetual fear of foreign lands and ignoring our own beautiful country.
    Imagine never experiencing lying in the bog and searching for a sky lark and hearing it's tweets, walking along the beach in Dunquinn on a summer's morning and seeing a shoal of mackerel herding sprat.
    Or a solitary Mullet cruising the seawall on a glassy summer's evening, the gulls hanging out on a pier wall.

You are a poet my friend, take a bow :)

Imagine not waiting at 1:55 am on a weekend for Kerri Chandler to drop off another 12 inch record...

You're in Sir Henry's Cork in the 90's after dropping a few yolk's and year's later logging into Boards.ie and seeing the hate and resentment towards the best president America ever had.

Or driving along the Dingle peninsula and pulling in for a smoke, and posting here on boards... listening to Patrick Swayze and Wendy Fraser "She's like the wind" am I just fooling myself... living without her... I'd go insane.

Beautiful cool breeze here now on the Conor Pass, how are ye all tonight.

God bless America

Imagine not waiting at 1:55 am on a weekend for Kerri Chandler to drop off another 12 inch record...

You're in Sir Henry's Cork in the 90's after dropping a few yolk's and year's later logging into Boards.ie and seeing the hate and resentment towards the best president America ever had

Or driving along the Dingle peninsula and pulling in for a smoke, and posting here on boards... listening to Patrick Swayze and Wendy Fraser "She's like the wind" am I just fooling myself... living without her... I'd go insane.

Beautiful cool breeze here now on the Conor Pass, how are ye all tonight.

God bless America

Never go full retard :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,154 ✭✭✭opinionated3

Everyone is entitled to their opinion. Personally I think Dublin is a terrible cesspit. Never felt safe there, especially around the city centre. But I love Boston, been there numerous times, always felt welcome and safe. Connecticut likewise. Most Americans I've ever met have always been polite and happy to talk about any topic that came up. The US certainly has it's problems, but so do we. It's just that we aren't a big player on the world stage, so our issues just go unnoticed....

Never go full retard :D

lol I'm going all out, I could wake up tomorrow and post the opposite.

But I know that I'm not triggering anyone, the only reason I would like America to do well is if they bring back the Penn fishing manufacturers to America and produce better reels than that shoite I got from Chinagh recently.
    And I'd love to see how Tom Cruise and Nicole Kidman got on later in life in Far and Away...

A sequel would be amazing...

I'm thinking of providing movie tour's around Ireland, Ryan's daughter is a big hit around the world.

lol I'm going all out, I could wake up tomorrow and post the opposite.

But I know that I'm not triggering anyone, the only reason I would like America to do well is if they bring back the Penn fishing manufacturers to America and produce better reels than that shoite I got from Chinagh recently.
    And I'd love to see how Tom Cruise and Nicole Kidman got on later in life in Far and Away...

A sequel would be amazing...

I'm thinking of providing movie tour's around Ireland, Ryan's daughter is a big hit around the world.

Or a tour of the scenes for Fatal Deviation - a cult classic Irish Kung fu movie starring Mikey Graham from boyzone :D

Or a tour of the scenes for Fatal Deviation - a cult classic starring Mikey Graham from boyzone :D

lol I must check it out later, Micky was the lead singer of Boyzone first wasn't he.

Actually Mikey reminds me of your man in Karate kid 3 the bad guy John Barns...

Mikey has that American Jock look, met him once on a night out in the 90's in the Pod off Hartcourt Street.
    Paddy Sheridan was the DJ there that night, I was doing a lot of promotional work for club's year's ago.
    He's a decent aul skin Mikey.

lol I must check it out later, Micky was the lead singer of Boyzone first wasn't he.

Actually Mikey reminds me of your man in Karate kid 3 the bad guy John Barns...

Mikey has that American Jock look, met him once on a night out in the 90's in the Pod off Hartcourt Street.
    Paddy Sheridan was the DJ there that night, I was doing a lot of promotional work for club's year's ago.
    He's a decent aul skin Mikey.

Look no further my friend, here is the trailer - the full movie is on youtube :) (the trailer doesn’t do it justice, it’s ****ing AWFUL)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭Madeleine Birchfield

Most Americans would be glad to talk about any topic except for American politics and American race relations between black Americans and non-black Americans. Those two topics are very divisive and incendiary and can end friendships in America, especially in the world of Trump's America.

Advertisement