Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Relaxation of Restrictions, Part IV - **Read OP for Mod Warnings**

Comments

I wouldn’t mind locking down again at all. No traffic, no crowds. I thought it was very pleasant indeed

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,809 ✭✭✭Hector Savage

Penfailed wrote: »
    I don't think that's going to happen.

Really hope you're right..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,304 ✭✭✭Widdensushi

I wouldn’t mind locking down again at all. No traffic, no crowds. I thought it was very pleasant indeed

Sustainable? I presume that you are self sufficient, grow your own vegetables, animals, make your own clothes etc. Eventually as the country goes bankrupt you might need to arm yourself from those less prepared than yourself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,398 ✭✭✭facehugger99

Almost everything has opened up.

400,000 people still getting the emergency payment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

400,000 people still getting the emergency payment.
    May well fall to 300K and below over the next week or two, plus 110K are now down at the standard welfare payment of €203.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 6,563 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sheep Shagger

What do people make of this that seems to be doing the rounds on social media?

Am not necessarily saying I agree either...

Shared:
    Let's say you woke up with a terrible cough, a fever, and severe body aches. Immediately, you rush to the doctor and unfortunately, you’re diagnosed with COVID-19. For the last two weeks, you’ve been unaware that you were infected and you’ve ignored "the rules." You've gotten together with some close friends for pizza, had a few people over, even visited a park and a beach. You figured, “I don’t feel sick. I have the right to keep living my normal life. No one can tell me what to do."
    With your diagnosis, you spend the next few days at home on the couch, feeling pretty crappy; but then you’re well again because you’re young, healthy and strong. Lucky you. But your best friend caught it from you during a visit to your house, and because she didn't know she was contagious, she visited her 82-year-old grandfather, who uses oxygen tanks daily to help him breathe because he has COPD and heart failure. Now, he’s dead.
    Your co-worker, who has asthma, caught it too, during your little pizza get-together. Now, he’s in the ICU, and he's spread it to a few others in his family, too--but they won't know that for another couple of weeks yet.
    The cashier at the restaurant where you picked up the pizza carried the infection home to his wife, who has MS, which makes her immunosuppressed. She’s not as lucky as you, so she’s admitted to the hospital because she’s having trouble breathing. She may need to be placed in a medically-induced coma and intubated; she may not get to say goodbye to her loved ones. She may die surrounded by machines, with no family at her bedside.
    All because you couldn't stand the inconvenience of a mask; of staying home; of changing your familiar routines for just a little while. Because you have the right, above all others rights, to continue living your normal life and no one, I mean no one, has the right to tell you what to do.

#SocialDistancing = It’s not about YOU!
    #WearAMask = It's not about YOU!
    #StayHome = It's not about YOU!
    #GetTested = It's not about YOU!
    #MaskItOrCasket = It's not about YOU!
    #MaskYourMaw = It's not about YOU!

Copied from a friend and shared. Please do the same.
    Stay Safe People!

No need for debate in comments. If you don't agree, simply don't copy & paste.

What do people make of this that seems to be doing the rounds on social media?

Am not necessarily saying I agree either...

Shared:
    Let's say you woke up with a terrible cough, a fever, and severe body aches. Immediately, you rush to the doctor and unfortunately, you’re diagnosed with COVID-19. For the last two weeks, you’ve been unaware that you were infected and you’ve ignored "the rules." You've gotten together with some close friends for pizza, had a few people over, even visited a park and a beach. You figured, “I don’t feel sick. I have the right to keep living my normal life. No one can tell me what to do."
    With your diagnosis, you spend the next few days at home on the couch, feeling pretty crappy; but then you’re well again because you’re young, healthy and strong. Lucky you. But your best friend caught it from you during a visit to your house, and because she didn't know she was contagious, she visited her 82-year-old grandfather, who uses oxygen tanks daily to help him breathe because he has COPD and heart failure. Now, he’s dead.
    Your co-worker, who has asthma, caught it too, during your little pizza get-together. Now, he’s in the ICU, and he's spread it to a few others in his family, too--but they won't know that for another couple of weeks yet.
    The cashier at the restaurant where you picked up the pizza carried the infection home to his wife, who has MS, which makes her immunosuppressed. She’s not as lucky as you, so she’s admitted to the hospital because she’s having trouble breathing. She may need to be placed in a medically-induced coma and intubated; she may not get to say goodbye to her loved ones. She may die surrounded by machines, with no family at her bedside.
    All because you couldn't stand the inconvenience of a mask; of staying home; of changing your familiar routines for just a little while. Because you have the right, above all others rights, to continue living your normal life and no one, I mean no one, has the right to tell you what to do.

#SocialDistancing = It’s not about YOU!
    #WearAMask = It's not about YOU!
    #StayHome = It's not about YOU!
    #GetTested = It's not about YOU!
    #MaskItOrCasket = It's not about YOU!
    #MaskYourMaw = It's not about YOU!

Copied from a friend and shared. Please do the same.
    Stay Safe People!

No need for debate in comments. If you don't agree, simply don't copy & paste.
    The old chain letter, some things just never die! I'm guessing that's WhatsApp and it's something I'd delete on sight but a fantastic forum to find experts!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,302 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

Not that I'm much a fan of the place, and I would prefer to support independent coffee shops, but I was just wondering what's going on with Costa Ireland?

They're the only convenient coffee place near where I work usually and they're not open. The store looks completely abandoned with a big sign up just saying it's closed and there's no cash on premises. Their social media feeds look to have stopped posting several weeks ago too, but the UK stores are definitely all up and running.

It just seems odd given a lot of their suburban / business park stores are pretty big spaces and could definitely handle socially distanced tables without much fuss. I think the one near where I work was even 2m+ between tables long before any of this ever happened.

Seems to be a lot of UK retailers going bang here.

Was wondering this as well, only coffee shop in a local retail park and was surprised not to see it open last weekend.

Perhaps they need more time to get things in order to reopen ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,858 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

Sustainable? I presume that you are self sufficient, grow your own vegetables, animals, make your own clothes etc. Eventually as the country goes bankrupt you might need to arm yourself from those less prepared than yourself.

OTT

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,054 ✭✭✭D.Q

Rubbish.

287K confirmed cases in the UK

40 Cases mentioned with varying degrees of neurological issues.

0.014%

It's a scary prospect, but extremely rare for the most part.

Ever read the possible side effects on a bottle of medicine?

Lets hope the guardian don't get a hold of one of those warning leaflets or we'll be getting articles about calpol causing

Bloody or black, tarry stools
    bloody or cloudy urine
    fever with or without chills (not present before treatment and not caused by the condition being treated)
    pain in the lower back and/or side (severe and/or sharp)
    pinpoint red spots on the skin
    skin rash, hives, or itching
    sore throat (not present before treatment and not caused by the condition being treated)
    sores, ulcers, or white spots on the lips or in the mouth
    sudden decrease in the amount of urine
    unusual bleeding or bruising
    unusual tiredness or weakness
    yellow eyes or skin

D.Q wrote: »
    287K confirmed cases in the UK

40 Cases mentioned with varying degrees of neurological issues.

0.014%

It's a scary prospect, but extremely rare for the most part.

Ever read the possible side effects on a bottle of medicine?

Lets hope the guardian don't get a hold of one of those warning leaflets or we'll be getting articles about calpol causing

Bloody or black, tarry stools
    bloody or cloudy urine
    fever with or without chills (not present before treatment and not caused by the condition being treated)
    pain in the lower back and/or side (severe and/or sharp)
    pinpoint red spots on the skin
    skin rash, hives, or itching
    sore throat (not present before treatment and not caused by the condition being treated)
    sores, ulcers, or white spots on the lips or in the mouth
    sudden decrease in the amount of urine
    unusual bleeding or bruising
    unusual tiredness or weakness
    yellow eyes or skin
    The occurrence of it is a concern but unfortunately it's how the media has chosen to draw attention to it that is most disappointing, especially in organisations that extol the need to disseminate accurate information.

I don't think that's going to happen.

Spain has failed to get its numbers under 300 so far, last few weeks it was over 400.

France and Spain are still continuing to grow on the active case front.

Ireland on the other hand is so far winning the battle, cases are down. But are always a few days from another surge, someone visiting the country and goes into an indoor venue would be the biggest spreader of it.

If we do things right, use the app, don't head out if you feel ill, then we can continue to open things up.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,349 ✭✭✭Jimmy Garlic

Like most of the lockdown lovers you probably don’t have much going on in your life anyway. It was paradise for the bone idle, that’s why they want it back.

Like most of the lockdown lovers you probably don’t have much going on in your life anyway. It was paradise for the bone idle, that’s why they want it back.

That's a pretty rude statement to make. If you had said something like this it would of been better:

- 18-35 years majority don't like lockdown, they want to be out and about with friends, having the fun and that is understandable.

Gym users are frustrated by it but probably found a new fitness hobby.

For me, lockdown was grand, I can still work from home, shop online, run in the park, spend time with the kids.

Wouldn't want another lockdown though but would survive it.

Best things that came from the lockdown for me:
    - Family are spending more time in the fresh air, all on their bikes now for our Sunday weekly cycle.
    - Not going to Shopping Centres for the sake of it.
    - Restaurants will hopefully do takeaways all the time now

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

- Restaurants will hopefully do takeaways all the time now
    My local favourite restaurant stopped doing these once they re-opened so we went in person yesterday. They've done a very good job inside. Aside from distancing the tables:

* Temperature checked on entry and hand sanitiser station in place
    * All staff masked
    * One way system in and out of the restaurant

• Registered Users Posts: 3,428 ✭✭✭ZX7R

Spain has failed to get its numbers under 300 so far, last few weeks it was over 400.

France and Spain are still continuing to grow on the active case front.

Ireland on the other hand is so far winning the battle, cases are down. But are always a few days from another surge, someone visiting the country and goes into an indoor venue would be the biggest spreader of it.

If we do things right, use the app, don't head out if you feel ill, then we can continue to open things up.

Thing about Spain they are including antibody resting in there daily reports of infections.
    France daily result numbers are all over the place

ZX7R wrote: »
    Thing about Spain they are including antibody resting in there daily reports of infections.
    France daily result numbers are all over the place

But Spain had to close 55 beaches due to social distancing issues and then two pretty big local lockdowns.

I fear Spain could do a Italy in August/Sept, hope I am really wrong. Some Spanish friends are really concerned about Madrid where they live

• Closed Accounts Posts: 917 ✭✭✭MickeyLeari

Was wondering this as well, only coffee shop in a local retail park and was surprised not to see it open last weekend.

Perhaps they need more time to get things in order to reopen ?

Is it a franchise? Has the franchise agreement run out or an exit clause being triggered or a dispute or liquidation?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,054 ✭✭✭D.Q

is_that_so wrote: »
    The occurrence of it is a concern but unfortunately it's how the media has chosen to draw attention to it that is most disappointing, especially in organisations that extol the need to disseminate accurate information.

That's exactly how I feel as well.

Not for one second saying it isn't concerning or that it isn't happening, or that it's fake news. But media organisations that I would have respected as reliable, the Guardian/ Irish Times etc, consistently choose to frame these stories in a very deliberate way.

All people take away from these articles is the headline and the picture.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 41,104 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Rubbish.

Ok. But like surely you have more to prove your point?

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

ixoy wrote: »
    My local favourite restaurant stopped doing these once they re-opened so we went in person yesterday. They've done a very good job inside. Aside from distancing the tables:

* All staff masked

Who really wants to go to a restaurant if that’s the experience? Too much hassle and a paranoid atsmophere, treated like a biohazard and paying for a crap experience,lots of people who just wont bother.

* All staff masked

Who really wants to go to a restaurant if that’s the experience? Too much hassle and a paranoid atsmophere, treated like a biohazard and paying for a crap experience,lots of people who just wont bother.

D.Q wrote: »
    That's exactly how I feel as well.

Not for one second saying it isn't concerning or that it isn't happening, or that it's fake news. But media organisations that I would have respected as reliable, the Guardian/ Irish Times etc, consistently choose to frame these stories in a very deliberate way.

All people take away from these articles is the headline and the picture.

Journalism in this country is rubbish, they have shown that throughout the reporting for covid. All very negative and frightening people. Just look at the Irish Examiner yesterday sure. They are causing more harm than good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Seweryn

Nobody right in the head I guess.

I had that misfortune of pleasure last weekend. I didn't know they were taking phone numbers and names at the entry. All staff masked as if the air inside was polluted or something. I don't think I will be going out any time soon again.
    Nonsense, but they were just doing what they were told, same as the rest of the world.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 917 ✭✭✭MickeyLeari

Seweryn wrote: »
    Nobody right in the head I guess.

I had that misfortune of pleasure last weekend. I didn't know they were taking phone numbers and names at the entry. All staff masked as if the air inside was polluted or something. I don't think I will be going out any time soon again.
    Nonsense, but they were just doing what they were told, same as the rest of the world.

Was in two restaurants last weekend. Staff were masked, Perspex between seats and windows open. Menus via QR codes. Great experience and atmosphere. Felt great to be relatively normal again.

Great to see some streets closed down with Bars laying down some Artificial grass, plant pots and tables/chairs which is nice when the sun is shining.

The food was lovely, the staff pleasant and all the other customers were enjoying being out and chatting to friends and family. It was a minor inconvenience for a great meal.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,214 ✭✭✭✭charlie14

I would not regard facilities to clean my hands and a one way system as hassle.
    Strange as it may seem I go to restaurants to enjoy food, wine and the company of those I am dining with. Not to get possibly infected by a life threatening virus, so I appreciate the staff by wearing masks showing regards for the well-being of customers.
    But that just me. Others may go to restaurants for other experiences. What they may be, I have no idea.

Have you actually been to a restaurant since reopening? Is using hand sanitiser and going in and out by a one way system really that bad? Bunch of snowflakes

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,186 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

charlie14 wrote: »
    I would not regard facilities to clean my hands and a one way system as hassle.
    Strange as it may seem I go to restaurants to enjoy food, wine and the company of those I am dining with. Not to get possibly infected by a life threatening virus, so I appreciate the staff by wearing masks showing regards for the well-being of customers.
    But that just me. Others may go to restaurants for other experiences. What they may be, I have no idea.
    Not a very convincing post. If you really believe that there is a 'life threatening virus' in our midst then I doubt if you would risk your life for a meal and a few glasses of vino.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

Have you actually been to a restaurant since reopening? Is using hand sanitiser and going in and out by a one way system really that bad?
    It sounds like it's safer for us all if they stay away. If something as simple as being asked to clean their hands is such a huge imposition on their lives, you don't know what else they are not doing.

Have you actually been to a restaurant since reopening? Is using hand sanitiser and going in and out by a one way system really that bad? Bunch of snowflakes

Nah. No interest in feeling like an extra on the set of 12 Monkeys and frankly it’s none of their business who I am or what my phone number is. Not their fault as another poster said and I genuinely feel for them as their businesses are flushed down the toilet by civil serpent doom goblins. Less tables inevitably means less covers, a lot of them are going under, the novelty of being able to eat out is wearing off already.

Nah. No interest in feeling like an extra on the set of 12 Monkeys and frankly it’s none of their business who I am or what my phone number is. Not their fault as another poster said and I genuinely feel for them as their businesses are flushed down the toilet by civil serpent doom goblins. Less tables inevitably means less covers, a lot of them are going under, the novelty of being able to eat out is wearing off already.

You need to have a word with someone about your anxieties. Not healthy. All I have seen is people enjoying themselves

Many posts back I wasn't happy with the restrictions that were in place but I think now we're getting a much better balance. It might not be ideal (and I'd probably still dispute some of the measures) but I definitely felt a much greater level of normality eating out yesterday.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,214 ✭✭✭✭charlie14

Not a very convincing post. If you really believe that there is a 'life threatening virus' in our midst then I doubt if you would risk your life for a meal and a few glasses of vino.

To believe this is not a life threatening virus is a flat earth arguement at this point imo.
    From the description by that poster of hand sanitisers, a one way system and staff wearing masks, then the risk would be a lot less than in a pub with a bunch of could not care less drunken yahoos so I would have no problem enjoying a meal and a few glasses of vino in such an establishment.

Its not an all in or all out decision. You take what measures are appropriate to the level of risk. In march the risk was unknown and the cases were rising exponentially, while now the risk is more understood, and case numbers are low and stable so you take a more balanced approach to risk. Do you wear a seatbelt even though the vast majority of car journeys end in successful completion? Did you stop wearing a seatbelt on the invention of the airbag?

charlie14 wrote: »
    To believe this is not a life threatening virus is a flat earth arguement at this point imo.
    From the description by that poster of hand sanitisers, a one way system and staff wearing masks, then the risk would be a lot less than in a pub with a bunch of could not care less drunken yahoos so I would have no problem enjoying a meal and a few glasses of vino in such an establishment.

It is life threatening if you are in very bad health. If you are over 70, you should probably be staying in and seeing how this plays out over the next few months.

If you are under 60 and your health is not terrible, you have an extremely tiny chance of actually dying.

Lets face it, none of us would be out and about if this was really life threatening to us. That's not to say that we can't die. But the risk is tiny.

I may be a little paranoid, but I can clearly see the businesses like restaurants are going to struggle in near future to survive. The measures applied by the government are going to kill them.

Surely, they only do what they are told. But you can see the pattern here. Small businesses will be gone, the biger ones will be taken over by governments, so what will be left? Pharma giants, Facetube and Gogles? A few trillionaires in the sea of hungry and poor?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,657 ✭✭✭Doctor Jimbob

Genuinely feel for them yet you won't bother your hole going to support them because of a minor inconvenience. Okay.

• Advertisement

Looks like much of Spain will make it compulsory to wear a mask in public. Can see the French following this soon also

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,035 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Many posts back I wasn't happy with the restrictions that were in place but I think now we're getting a much better balance. It might not be ideal (and I'd probably still dispute some of the measures) but I definitely felt a much greater level of normality eating out yesterday.

Likewise, I was quite vocal as well about the restrictions (especially around the very low-risk outdoor stuff) but I think we have the balance right for the most part now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,528 ✭✭✭copeyhagen

went to indian restaurant yesterday evening with wife and kids.
    took the wives name and number and temp, had a sanitising station, that was it.

perfectly enjoyable evening (as much as is possible with a 3 and 6 year old), but was more or less business as usual.

had a great time, whya re people triggered by something that took literally 10 seconds, the point of being god forbid someone on the night was positive they can trace contact more quickly.

I personally didn't like the details and phone numbers being listed and stored for no particular reason.
    Sure the meal was lovely as always, but there is too much invasion into privacy and you don't know what they are doing with the data.

I personally didn't like the details and phone numbers being listed and stored for no particular reason.
    Sure the meal was lovely as always, but there is too much invasion into privacy and you don't know what they are doing with the data.

For no reason? Its for contact tracing. Be grateful they are looking after their customers. You have to do it for all sport training you attend also.

I may be a little paranoid, but I can clearly see the businesses like restaurants are going to struggle in near future to survive. The measures applied by the government are going to kill them.

Surely, they only do what they are told. But you can see the pattern here. Small businesses will be gone, the biger ones will be taken over by governments, so what will be left? Pharma giants, Facetube and Gogles? A few trillionaires in the sea of hungry and poor?

Some have already folded and stated that the restrictions made it impossible to carry on.

Lots of places are appointment only at the moment. What happens when you get 3 cancellations in one night? A restaurant running at reduced capacity is even further reduced.

I think more and more will fail over the coming months.

• Advertisement

Some have already folded and stated that the restrictions made it impossible to carry on.

Lots of places are appointment only at the moment. What happens when you get 3 cancellations in one night? A restaurant running at reduced capacity is even further reduced.

I think more and more will fail over the coming months.

Well if your going to cancel you should cancel as far in advance like you would be fore covid -19.
    Restaurants starting to take deposit on the cards now for when booking which is fair enough.

People like what they like. That shouldn't earn them insults!

Well if your going to cancel you should cancel as far in advance like you would be fore covid -19.
    Restaurants starting to take deposit on the cards now for when booking which is fair enough.
    Wasn't that the way it was before in some restaurants anyway?

100%.
    I imagine they get people that just no show and don't even bother cancelling.

A deposit would be a good idea. Hope most are doing this.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭VonLuck

That's what was happening in restaurants before this all happened. You rang up and they took your name and number for your booking. How is this any more invasive??

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement