Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Relaxation of Restrictions, Part IV - **Read OP for Mod Warnings**

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,214 ✭✭✭✭charlie14

It is life threatening if you are in very bad health. If you are over 70, you should probably be staying in and seeing how this plays out over the next few months.

If you are under 60 and your health is not terrible, you have an extremely tiny chance of actually dying.

Lets face it, none of us would be out and about if this was really life threatening to us. That's not to say that we can't die. But the risk is tiny.

It is life threatening to those over 65 of which there are around 700,000 in this country, those recovering from cancer (150,000) plus those with diabetes, chronic respiratory disease, the obese and anyone immunocompromised.
    Thankfully I am in none of those categories, but unlike some here it appears, it would really bother my conscience if I caught this virus and passed it on to anyone who is.
    For that reason I appreciate business`s who, like that restaurant the poster described, are making the effort to minimise the chances of me doing so.

Seweryn wrote: »
    I personally didn't like the details and phone numbers being listed and stored for no particular reason.
    Sure the meal was lovely as always, but there is too much invasion into privacy and you don't know what they are doing with the data.

I would not be over worried about it. The multinational tech companies have been selling your data to all and sundry for so long that I doubt that restaurant could find a buyer for your phone number if they tried at this stage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭Captain_Crash

VonLuck wrote: »
    That's what was happening in restaurants before this all happened. You rang up and they took your name and number for your booking. How is this any more invasive??

I'd guess its happening much less now. Previously people would book two or three tables in different places on a Sat night and then pick one to go to closer to the time. Now although most restaurants have less bookings, the customers who do book are more likely to attend.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,043 ✭✭✭gipi

I'd guess its happening much less now. Previously people would book two or three tables in different places on a Sat night and then pick one to go to closer to the time. Now although most restaurants have less bookings, the customers who do book are more likely to attend.

One of my local restaurants had 3 no-shows last week, a total of 13 people who booked and didn't turn up or make contact. Very tough when they've had to reduce the number of tables.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Seweryn

charlie14 wrote: »
    I would not be over worried about it. The multinational tech companies have been selling your data to all and sundry for so long that I doubt that restaurant could find a buyer for your phone number if they tried at this stage.
    You are very right (unfortunately). I am just getting paranoid about another way into our privacy. Just getting sick of all this. But yeah, I agree, this is nothing new to us, just another small step forward.
    However, I am worried more about our future than all this (as the measures may stay for longer plus more being added), but that is another matter...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,930 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Todays numbers not so good

If we have to go backwards it will be a disaster, mental health will become a major issue. Thinking back to April/May **** me they were depressing and even more so now with stuff beginning to get back to normal

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,004 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

PTH2009 wrote: »
    Todays numbers not so good

If we have to go backwards it will be a disaster, mental health will become a major issue. Thinking back to April/May **** me they were depressing and even more so now with stuff beginning to get back to normal

Yes it is a bit worrying, considering the majority of new cases are attributed to inward travel.

But we have to wait and see if it's a trend or a blip. I hope it is just a blip, but with all the free travel from US and UK now I'd wonder a bit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,159 ✭✭✭Irish Aris

Was wondering this as well, only coffee shop in a local retail park and was surprised not to see it open last weekend.

Perhaps they need more time to get things in order to reopen ?

There is a rumour going around (not sure if it is true or not) that Costa might leave the Irish market altogether. I guess the competition here is intense and the margins are probably not big enough.
    Also in my local Dunnes I saw Costa products like capsules etc. Probably looking to get into that market.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,938 ✭✭✭Dickie10

crazy to think the little or large village pub with 6 or 7 people in a night is shut yet there letting anyine into the country. of course the curtin twitchers will blame the pub if we get more cases.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,211 ✭✭✭✭Goldengirl

Seweryn wrote: »
    I personally didn't like the details and phone numbers being listed and stored for no particular reason.
    Sure the meal was lovely as always, but there is too much invasion into privacy and you don't know what they are doing with the data.

Don't worry I am sure the staff couldn't give a fxxx about you and your phone number but they have to collect them , not for no reason , but for contact tracing, and they go in the shredder after 14 days .
    But you know that , I am sure?

• Advertisement

charlie14 wrote: »
    It is life threatening to those over 65 of which there are around 700,000 in this country, those recovering from cancer (150,000) plus those with diabetes, chronic respiratory disease, the obese and anyone immunocompromised.
    Thankfully I am in none of those categories, but unlike some here it appears, it would really bother my conscience if I caught this virus and passed it on to anyone who is.
    For that reason I appreciate business`s who, like that restaurant the poster described, are making the effort to minimise the chances of me doing so.

And asthmatics too !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,384 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Dickie10 wrote: »
    crazy to think the little or large village pub with 6 or 7 people in a night is shut yet there letting anyine into the country. of course the curtin twitchers will blame the pub if we get more cases.

As much as Irish people love the pub there is a not insignificant anti-drink anti-pub element as well so the current situation is like Christmas come early for them in terms of getting pubs shut.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

I passed a small cafe today. There was maybe 10 customers sitting inside, right beside each other. No social distancing at all. I think many young people think they cannot get it.
    I think people are getting complacent.
    It seems to be up to the owner, if there's room
    outside they put tables and chairs outside and leave some space between each table.
    It's ok but this is not going to practical when it gets cold in the winter.
    I think it ll be hard to expect people to social distance in a pub once they start drinking
    The cafes I passed this week are doing good business some people sit inside, most people sit outside if they have outside tables

riclad wrote: »
    I passed a small cafe today. There was maybe 10 customers sitting inside, right beside each other. No social distancing at all. I think many young people think they cannot get it.
    I think people are getting complacent.
    It seems to be up to the owner, if there's room
    outside they put tables and chairs outside and leave some space between each table.
    It's ok but this is not going to practical when it gets cold in the winter.
    I think it ll be hard to expect people to social distance in a pub once they start drinking
    The cafes I passed this week are doing good business some people sit inside, most people sit outside if they have outside tables

Never thought I 'd be saying this but maybe places should be investing in awnings and patio heaters and putting tables out side ?

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭Queasy Tadpole

Can we travel the country yet or still confined to our own counties?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,647 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

Can we travel the country yet or still confined to our own counties?

No that changed in June 29th where you can travel nationally around the country, it was supposed to be July 20th but Phase 3 was brought in three weeks earlier than planned and July 20th will now be Phase 4.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭Queasy Tadpole

No that changed in June 29th where you can travel nationally around the country, it was supposed to be July 20th but Phase 3 was brought in three weeks earlier than planned and July 20th will now be Phase 4.
    Brilliant. Thanks. So I'm in Dublin, if the Gardai pull me in Sligo on the 21st I'm in the clear?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,398 ✭✭✭facehugger99

Brilliant. Thanks. So I'm in Dublin, if the Gardai pull me in Sligo on the 21st I'm in the clear?

asked and answered.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭VonLuck

Dickie10 wrote: »

There should be an instant ban for anyone using the term "curtain twitchers". It's solely used to try and diminish someone's concern over the pandemic by resorting to name calling.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,821 ✭✭✭Hooked

July 20th date was brought back to June 29th!!!

Travel ban is GONE. On your bike...

• Registered Users Posts: 715 ✭✭✭gral6

Tell 'em that you are living in the free country!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,480 ✭✭✭✭road_high

VonLuck wrote: »
    There should be an instant ban for anyone using the term "curtain twitchers". It's solely used to try and diminish someone's concern over the pandemic by resorting to name calling.

It’s just an opinion. But with some only one opinion is allowed. That which fits with said people

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭Jackman25

Thanks to this thread.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,470 ✭✭✭FintanMcluskey

Not that I'm much a fan of the place, and I would prefer to support independent coffee shops, but I was just wondering what's going on with Costa Ireland?

They're the only convenient coffee place near where I work usually and they're not open. The store looks completely abandoned with a big sign up just saying it's closed and there's no cash on premises. Their social media feeds look to have stopped posting several weeks ago too, but the UK stores are definitely all up and running.

It just seems odd given a lot of their suburban / business park stores are pretty big spaces and could definitely handle socially distanced tables without much fuss. I think the one near where I work was even 2m+ between tables long before any of this ever happened.

Seems to be a lot of UK retailers going bang here.

The Costa in Applegreen in Tullamore is open since Wednesday.

I asked the lad working there whats the story with the rest of them and he said they will open on July 20th.

Obviously the powers that be are busy curtain twitching

I wouldn’t mind locking down again at all. No traffic, no crowds. I thought it was very pleasant indeed

This is a disgusting post and one I have sadly seen again and again.

The lack of traffic is the sound of people losing their jobs and the economy collapsing. Those people could be losing their homes very soon.

But as long as its pleasant for you thats ok I guess?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭JDD

The Costa near my house has also remained closed. I was chatting to a lady outside, who said that her friend worked in the cafe, and apparently they are not opening again until September.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,878 ✭✭✭bush

This is a disgusting post and one I have sadly seen again and again.

The lack of traffic is the sound of people losing their jobs and the economy collapsing. Those people could be losing their homes very soon.

But as long as its pleasant for you thats ok I guess?

Im still not back to work and this fella would love another lockdown :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,646 ✭✭✭Penfailed

Jackman25 wrote: »
    Thanks to this thread.

Hahaha! Delusion.

Gigs '24 - Ben Ottewell and Ian Ball (Gomez), The Jesus & Mary Chain, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Pearl Jam, Green Day, Stendhal Festival, Forest Fest, Electric Picnic, Pixies, Ride, Therapy?, Public Service Broadcasting, IDLES(x2), And So I Watch You From Afar

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,789 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

bush wrote: »
    Im still not back to work and this fella would love another lockdown :mad:

We will have another lockdown. It's happening in other places, unfortunately it will happen here too.

And given the pics I saw at the weekend with the streets thronged with revellers who were ignoring social distancing, I reckon it will be sooner rather than later.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not looking for another lockdown at the moment, I just think a hell of a lot of people are being irresponsible and pretty much 'asking for it'.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

BattleCorp wrote: »
    We will have another lockdown. It's happening in other places, unfortunately it will happen here too.

And given the pics I saw at the weekend with the streets thronged with revellers who were ignoring social distancing, I reckon it will be sooner rather than later.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not looking for another lockdown at the moment, I just think a hell of a lot of people are being irresponsible and pretty much 'asking for it'.
    If asking for it is about 25 cases a day or lower after 7 weeks of easing restrictions then yes we are. We can expect cases to continue but we will have to live with the presence of the disease. Keeping its prevalence as low as possible is the aim.

• Advertisement

BattleCorp wrote: »

Keep in mind that the disease easily has the potential to stick around for longer than our resources can handle.

Michael Martin already stated that a 2nd lockdown would kill us financially.

If there is a 2nd national lockdown, even more people will be unemployed than last time. And we have less to give.

The pot is constantly shrinking but the people in need would be increasing.

Either a vaccine comes along very soon or we are forced to move forward.

road_high wrote: »
    It’s just an opinion. But with some only one opinion is allowed. That which fits with said people

So if it's my opinion that you are an axxxxxe that's fine to say it here then?

is_that_so wrote: »
    If asking for it is about 25 cases a day or lower after 7 weeks of easing restrictions then yes we are. We can expect cases to continue but we will have to live with the presence of the disease. Keeping its prevalence as low as possible is the aim.

Yes , that ..is the aim .
    But won't be possible if those scenes that happened at the weekend continue, he is right too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 917 ✭✭✭MickeyLeari

How will they manage mass at Christmas. On the box ? or will passes be given on the basis of loyalty points? Maybe they could have a few ‘corporate‘ rows?

But what is clear is that most of us will be having our Christmas dinners at home.

Goldengirl wrote: »
    Yes , that ..is the aim .
    But won't be possible if those scenes that happened at the weekend continue, he is right too.
    Oh I know, but we'll keep getting prodded to cop on to ourselves!

Oh I know, but we'll keep getting prodded to cop on to ourselves!

Unfortunately I have the feeling that even if you used a cattle prod, most of those we saw in Dublin city center last weekend would still not cop on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,786 ✭✭✭✭tom1ie

Grand so let’s wear masks in enclosed spaces and stop inviting the virus in yeah?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭MonkstownHoop

How will they manage mass at Christmas. On the box ? or will passes be given on the basis of loyalty points? Maybe they could have a few ‘corporate‘ rows?

But what is clear is that most of us will be having our Christmas dinners at home.

Most of us usually do no?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 917 ✭✭✭MickeyLeari

Most of us usually do no?

Correct. It was a preemptive strike.

And while I do like the odd meal and drink out, I certainly will not miss the work lunch out.

I doubt the pubs will reopen next week fully. The mood music is back to the scaremongering soundtrack and threatening again. That and foreign travel are the core Covidmania shames of sin.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,004 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

I doubt the pubs will reopen next week fully. The mood music is back to the scaremongering soundtrack and threatening again. That and foreign travel are the core Covidmania shames of sin.

I think the pubs will open on 20th. FF are all for the publicans! but I do expect a bit of caution re foreign travel. And a clear message re SD and mask wearing.

The lack of leadership and clear messages from Gov is very disappointing. It's not as if Covid landed on the new Administration's desk on day one. Anyway they had to wait for Arlene, so now we are beholden to the UK one way or another, unless we close the border. Not Going To Happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,302 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

We've not seen the numbers reflect anything from the stage 3 reopening yet but as it stands the numbers would not be preventive.

They're reminding everyone what to do and what not to do. If you can go into a pub and order a €9 toastie with a pint you can go in for a pint. Doesn't exactly make the risk higher or lower

tom1ie wrote: »
    Grand so let’s wear masks in enclosed spaces and stop inviting the virus in yeah?
    Some of these new cases seem to be coming out of young(er) 'uns being in higher risk locations where you'd never wear a mask anyway. We won't hit zero and will be very dependent on our testing system kicking in and isolating any outbreaks.

Some of these new cases seem to be coming out of young(er) 'uns being in higher risk locations where you'd never wear a mask anyway. We won't hit zero and will be more dependent on our testing system kicking in and isolating any outbreaks.

What locations are these?

We've not seen the numbers reflect anything from the stage 3 reopening yet but as it stands the numbers would not be preventive.

They're reminding everyone what to do and what not to do. If you can go into a pub and order a €9 toastie with a pint you can go in for a pint. Doesn't exactly make the risk higher or lower

When has logic and numbers really came into it? “Caution” trumps all with corona (mania)

What locations are these?
    House parties for now.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,302 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

When has logic and numbers really came into it? “Caution” trumps all with corona (mania)

Numbers have always come into it. If you see adverse effects from one phase they'll rethink the next.

We've not had major issues with reopenings at the moment.

Without valid justification theres no reason come the 20th the final phase doesn't take place

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,288 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Still feck all community transmission, just have to watch the imported cases now.

rob316 wrote: »
    Still feck all community transmission, just have to watch the imported cases now.
    As has happened elsewhere. It can't just be kept out. Keep track of them, then move in to isolate if cases appear.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,085 ✭✭✭TaurenDruid

Pretty much from the first couple of weeks of this, when Holohan and the HSE, then NPHET, recognised the seriousness of this and the correct response, and we got our roadmap.

That absolutely succeeded in flattening the curve. We got the R number right down, to the extent we were able to bring forward the easing of restrictions.

That's where logic and numbers came into it. Sorry if those facts don't fit your narrative.

Unfortunately, despite all of that hard work and progress by most of us, a bunch of selfish and greedy ****wits seem to have ruined it for us now - crowded beaches, drinking on the street with no social distancing, house parties, etc - and so we're now seeing the R number back up to 1 and all the new cases are under 45...

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement