Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Relaxation of Restrictions, Part IV - **Read OP for Mod Warnings**

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,854 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

In this country there has been a complete dereliction of duty by the media.

One only has to compare the BBC website with RTE's to see how striking the difference has been on the reporting of the virus.

Across the water, time and space are actually dedicated to a more holistic view of the virus, including the economic repercussions. RTE do nothing but peddle fear and provide a platform for the most hysterical viewpoints.

Yeah I've pretty much stopped reading the news here, the analysis is a farce. Wont discuss Tons of topics and wont go on the attack , maybe they feel Ireland is too small or its cowardice. Honestly I'd recommend ditching the " news" and the likes of independent.ie and irish times.... all of them...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,480 ✭✭✭pgj2015

rob316 wrote: »
    The media love to pedal misery. You only have to look at how the weather is reported now, everything is warning this, warning that, for just a bit of rain.

one of the papers said Ireland was to be battered by rain on Monday just gone. I didn't see 1 drop. The media loves misery, the government loves fear, they are best ignored.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,246 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

It pissed rain for large portions of Monday.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,010 ✭✭✭GooglePlus

rob316 wrote: »
    The media love to pedal misery. You only have to look at how the weather is reported now, everything is warning this, warning that, for just a bit of rain.

The media love to pedal what the people love to click on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 491 ✭✭YellowBucket

gral6 wrote: »
    Do you think that the EU will be giving you food voucher for 350 p/w indefinitely? Come out of your shell, it is time to pay back the Bill now !

The EU isn’t paying for that btw. We are actually a net contributor these days.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

GooglePlus wrote: »
    The media love to pedal what the people love to click on.
    And they love to peddle things for sale too!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,195 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

Remember back when the idea of lockdown was floated?

It was never supposed to be any more than a crude device to buy the health service more time to get procedures, practices and services up and running to deal with the virus.

that was only 1 part of it, the main reason for it was to suppress the transmission rate in the community to a managable level over all so that we could reopen.
    It is such a blunt tool and the economic devastation it wrought meant it could only be a stopgap measure.

it's supposed to be a blunt tool, that is the whole point, it was not a stopgap but a vital part of managing the virus.
    economic problems were coming due to this regardless of whether we had lockdown or a free for all, they were unavoidable.
    What I would like to know is how in the name of fcuk it has been allowed to drag on for months now?

We are still paying hundreds of thousands of people the "emergency" payment and large swades of the economy are either shut down or have such crippling restrictions that they cannot profitably open.

because the virus hasn't gone away.
    so as part of managing the problem, and in exchange for being able to reopen, we have some restrictions in place to minimize the problem as much as we can while allowing everything to reopen.
    Somehow the idea has become implanted in people's heads that the lockdown is the tool by which we eradicate the virus - this is patently nonsense. Barring a vaccine in the next 6 months (likely impossible), the ability of the virus to outlast our economic ability to stay in lockdown is guaranteed.

only a tiny few believe we can burn this out, they are not in government or the health service.
    simply throwing open the doors was unworkable, it was never viable and was never going to happen, reopening with restrictions was the only option.
    So why the fcuk are we persisting with this nonsense?

we aren't.
    lockdown is effectively over.
    the restrictions are to minimize the effects on business and allow them trade, and allow us to get on with our lives while trying to keep cases as low as we feasibly can do so.
    Why are the politicians and bureaucrats trying to shift focus to people going on holidays rather than having people questioning what the fcuk we've been doing with our health service in the last 4 months - I'll let ye answer that one.

they aren't.
    The current situation is a complete farce and the useful idiots that the government have pompously wagging their fingers at those traveling abroad are being played for fools.

the current situation is working well, we are reopening at a pace that is right for us.

I'm very highly educated. I know words, i have the best words, nobody has better words then me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,085 ✭✭✭TaurenDruid

One only has to compare the BBC website with RTE's to see how striking the difference has been on the reporting of the virus.

Across the water, time and space are actually dedicated to a more holistic view of the virus, including the economic repercussions. RTE do nothing but peddle fear and provide a platform for the most hysterical viewpoints.

You will need to go searching to see what the ICU admission rate is but by God they will splash positive test results as the top headline - it matters not a fcuk that for the vast majority of people, the symptoms are either mild or non-existent.

And strangely, the death rate and infection rate are reasonably under control here, while in England they're clearly not under control. But sure, the BBC's coverage is better... :rolleyes:

feelings wrote: »
    Should we all have voted for Mary 'I haven't bothered to download the app yet' Lou? Give us a break.

yes if good government is what you wanted rather then more of the same.
    Idbatterim wrote: »
    Great post facehugger. It's like one new case or death is one too many , kill everything eise to prevent it. Must be something perverted in the irish psyche, we have to be the " good boys " when all you have is the government propaganda piece telling everyone government and nphet is doing a great job, im not surprised the masses are brainwashed...

yes, we are brainwashed by facts and information from experts who are experts.
    we should have listened to facebook and some random on a website instead.

You will need to go searching to see what the ICU admission rate is but by God they will splash positive test results as the top headline - it matters not a fcuk that for the vast majority of people, the symptoms are either mild or non-existent.

the media have been perfectly fine, reporting the information
    and facts.
    what you are looking for by the sounds of it is a propaganda machine to pander to your viewpoints, for that i'm afraid you will either have to set up one of your own, or just read facebook or some other random site.

I'm very highly educated. I know words, i have the best words, nobody has better words then me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,858 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

pgj2015 wrote: »
    one of the papers said Ireland was to be battered by rain on Monday just gone. I didn't see 1 drop. The media loves misery, the government loves fear, they are best ignored.

The sooner irish papers go bust the better. Constantly false information to scare people. Never offer a ray of hope

• Advertisement

yes if good government is what you wanted rather then more of the same.

yes, we are brainwashed by facts and information from experts who are experts.
    we should have listened to facebook and some random on a website instead.

the media have been perfectly fine, reporting the information
    and facts.
    what you are looking for by the sounds of it is a propaganda machine to pander to your viewpoints, for that i'm afraid you will either have to set up one of your own, or just read facebook or some other random site.

What about the false information in the examiner a day after the app.was released?

What about the false information in the examiner a day after the app.was released?

if that paper printed actual false information, rather then information that was genuinely believed to be the case but later turned out to be incorrect, then that is a serious issue that must be dealt with.

What false information?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,405 ✭✭✭Airyfairy12

gral6 wrote: »
    Do you think that the EU will be giving you food voucher for 350 p/w indefinitely? Come out of your shell, it is time to pay back the Bill now !

Im not on the 350, I worked throughout the pandemic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,405 ✭✭✭Airyfairy12

Pete_Cavan wrote: »
    he country was locked down and schools shut when we had unquantitfied and uncontrolled spread of a new virus which we had little knowledge of and were not prepared for. Now we have a small number of active cases, we have a lot of knowledge on the virus and how to treat it, large stockpiles of PPE and surge plans in hospitals, a contact tracing system and app, huge public awareness of the need for social distancing and handwashing etc, significant WFH, capacity limitations in public interact businesses and ban on large gatherings. Even the international travel you refer to is only a fraction of what it was in March. Drawing comparisons between now and when lockdown started is nonsense, the situation is completely different to what it was in March.

At the start worldwide numbers were relatively small, theyre now in their millions, numbers will rise much faster than they did back in March.
    An app wont stop the virus.

Stick up for your beloved FF and FG all you want, stick your head in the sand like FF and FG voters have always done. The current government are blatantly ignoring the advise of experts, another lockdown is on the horizon or are they going the herd immunity route?

What false information?

The location saga

The location saga

I'm none the wiser. Quick summary?

I'm none the wiser. Quick summary?

Quick Summary:

Start at page 65 in the App thread, you will see an article from the examiner and go from there.

Summary in 1.5 lines!!

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭vid36

Hearing the Taoiseach earlier, I think there is no chance of the rest of the pubs reopening next week.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,646 ✭✭✭Penfailed

vid36 wrote: »
    Hearing the Taoiseach earlier, I think there is no chance of the rest of the pubs reopening next week.

Why, what did he say?

Gigs '24 - Ben Ottewell and Ian Ball (Gomez), The Jesus & Mary Chain, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Pearl Jam, Green Day, Stendhal Festival, Forest Fest, Electric Picnic, Pixies, Ride, Therapy?, Public Service Broadcasting, IDLES(x2), And So I Watch You From Afar

It would be fairly silly if people were free to jet off to different countries and go to as many pubs as they want but the risk is deemed too high to have a pint in your local.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,661 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

It would be fairly silly if people were free to jet off to different countries and go to as many pubs as they want but the risk is deemed too high to have a pint in your local.

That's why people are being asked to Quarantine when they return from abroad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,398 ✭✭✭facehugger99

The usual wishy-washy, kite-flying nonsense that passes for political leadership in this country.

It's depressing to watch this unfold like a slow motion car crash.

Facecovering are also going to be made mandatory in shops from Monday.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,302 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

Eh no thats not true at all.

Its to be considered by the cabinet today, theres no mention of if they'll say yes to it and if they do when it comes in.

Remember it took 2 weeks to get the legislation for transport.

Arghus wrote: »
    That's why people are being asked to Quarantine when they return from abroad.

Which we all knows means filling in a form and potentially getting a phone call.

End of the day, keeping pubs closed for even longer will only result in vacations over staycations. And more house parties. Two things we didn't want.

Eh no thats not true at all.

Its to be considered by the cabinet today, theres no mention of if they'll say yes to it and if they do when it comes in.

Remember it took 2 weeks to get the legislation for transport.

In fairness it looks like it will happen

In fairness it looks like it will happen

Potentially just pointing out that from Monday isn't accurate at this stage

Just back from the barbers with my son. Ages 14 and under didn't have to wear a mask. I did. They supplied disposable ones for a euro. It was grand. Barber also wore a mask and cleaned everything down between cuts including the seat in the waiting area. Only three people allowed to wait at any time. Painless.

Gigs '24 - Ben Ottewell and Ian Ball (Gomez), The Jesus & Mary Chain, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Pearl Jam, Green Day, Stendhal Festival, Forest Fest, Electric Picnic, Pixies, Ride, Therapy?, Public Service Broadcasting, IDLES(x2), And So I Watch You From Afar

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,282 ✭✭✭CruelSummer

At the start worldwide numbers were relatively small, theyre now in their millions, numbers will rise much faster than they did back in March.
    An app wont stop the virus.

Stick up for your beloved FF and FG all you want, stick your head in the sand like FF and FG voters have always done. The current government are blatantly ignoring the advise of experts, another lockdown is on the horizon or are they going the herd immunity route?

Your posts are bordering on the ridiculous...and you seem to want to make it all about politics too.
    You cannot wait to fan any hysterical flame or headline, you’re claiming the Government are ‘ignoring’ experts. When in actual fact the experts they’re ignoring belong on cloud cuckoo land or perhaps an island in the Pacific where they can get Covid ‘eradicated’ by cutting themselves off from the rest of the world and live a life similar to Tom Hanks in Castaway.

Inaccurate post is inaccurate.

I can see things really kicking off if we actually do fail to move into phase 4 and we make masks mandatory.
    I'll wait for the confirmation before saying anything more though.

I can see things really kicking off if we actually do fail to move into phase 4 and we make masks mandatory.
    I'll wait for the confirmation before saying anything more though.

Honestly think its going to be a mess.

Watch every pub suddenly have a food offering, it'll come down to businesses wanting to make a go of it or just never reopening.

The whole thing is just a mess. But sure you'll be able to go to a green list country and sit in a pub there but not in Ireland

Pubs not opening until August 10

Honestly think its going to be a mess.

Watch every pub suddenly have a food offering, it'll come down to businesses wanting to make a go of it or just never reopening.

The whole thing is just a mess. But sure you'll be able to go to a green list country and sit in a pub there but not in Ireland

I'll wait for official confirmation but I'm speechless for now.
    20 odd cases a day from almost 10000 tests some days.
    Just 10 in ICU if I am not mistaken.

How can we possibly justify keeping restrictions...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,384 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Again bars have been open in Denmark since mid May and the bars have been very busy ever since. Their daily numbers are slightly higher than Ireland's but they have a million more people also.

Pubs not opening until August 10

Apparently so, which surprises me.

Pubs staying shut and mandatory facecoverings indoors on the way . As for people calling me inaccurate earlier :)

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/plans-to-reopen-pubs-postponed-until-august-10-amid-concerns-over-increase-in-covid-19-cases-39370745.html

Because it isn't just "10 cases a day."

You know we can see the actual figures, like? When you blatantly lie about what you think the figures are, you don't help your case at all...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,255 ✭✭✭Sammy2012

Are the numbers for indoor gatherings being increased?

Sammy2012 wrote: »
    Are the numbers for indoor gatherings being increased?

I would think definitely not but I have no confirmation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,946 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

So just hearing about this ridiculous notion to make masks mandatory in shops and indoor locations (offices etc as well then I assume?)... completely unjustified at this stage. I live in a county with 1% of cases, am not and have not been sick and find masks hard to breathe in, hot and unconfortable.

It's another hyper-conservative and fearful idea led by one group of idiots scaremongering on social media, and another group who can't behave like adults when the f*cking drink starts flowing

• Registered Users Posts: 819 ✭✭✭setanta1984

We had finally came around to being somewhat reasonable with the revised roadmap, Ireland was starting to feel normal again for the last couple of weeks.
    Life felt decent, the last 2 weeks were as close to normal as I could hope for and things felt positive and progressive.

Now all of a sudden, with no discernible reason, we're back to the old rubbish of lecturing, threatening extensions and forcing masks on everyone.

It's mind boggling, depressing and infuriating. Right when things were feeling good again.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,255 ✭✭✭Sammy2012

I would think definitely not but I have no confirmation.

Feck! I teach second class and the kids were supposed to have their communion on the 8th of August! Will have to cut back numbers now again!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Penfailed wrote: »
    Just back from the barbers with my son. Ages 14 and under didn't have to wear a mask. I did. They supplied disposable ones for a euro. It was grand. Barber also wore a mask and cleaned everything down between cuts including the seat in the waiting area. Only three people allowed to wait at any time. Painless.
    My barber said I didn't have to but they were available for free. They were all wearing one and there was lots of cleaning.

Because it isn't just "10 cases a day."

You know we can see the actual figures, like? When you blatantly lie about what you think the figures are, you don't help your case at all...

I said 10 in ICU... Read the post again maybe...?

There has been 20 odd cases a day.

14 today. And we won’t let pubs open until 10th August...

Absolutely baffling and disgusting lack of decision making.

Folks we better stock up on masks, they will be mandatory until next spring at best.

_Kaiser_ wrote: »
    find masks hard to breathe in, hot and unconfortable.

You poor mite.

• Advertisement

And we won’t let pubs open until 10th August...

Absolutely baffling and disgusting lack of decision making.

Wait, you're saying the decision not to allow pubs reopen until the 10th of August is a disgusting lack of decision making :confused:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement