Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Relaxation of Restrictions, Part IV - **Read OP for Mod Warnings**

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

gral6 wrote: »
    I wonder what Tony Holohan is prepared for us for the next week?
    He's not gonna recommend any restriction to be lifted...

That's not what he was saying as late as Friday though?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,447 ✭✭✭Ginger n Lemon

I think we should all also take a minute and appreciate that there are no spikes in deaths or cases in Germany, Denmark, Czech republic, Austria etc. who have all been lifting restrictions for 3 - 4 weeks +. So none of this "we need time to see the R number form over 2 weeks" or like Gerry Killeen pointed out "2nd wave could already be underway but we will only see it couple of weeks from now". Unless we are special.

I remember 3 weeks ago the increase in German R number created 4 pages of posts in this thread alone lol.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,129 ✭✭✭Lundstram

Of course he's not. He's one vested interest in this and that's his own reputation, he doesn't care about the economy, he's on a 6 figure salary. Leo needs to put his foot down and open the bloody country before the economy goes over a cliff.

Schools reopening in other countries while the Irish aren't allowed go beyond 5km from their home, I'm a FG man I have to admit but this is just crazy right now. Totally unnecessary.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,544 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

SNNUS wrote: »
    We can go back and forth on the craziness of the restrictions but I was out most of the day and I can tell you that normal life has resumed as far as I can see.. Now a spoofy RTE poll may say otherwise but just going by what I have seen out and about today.

Yeah Claire Byrne will be on with another poll strongly in favour of restrictions, she needs to back to her fancy shed and stay there.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,038 ✭✭✭KrustyUCC

Tony would have a very hard sell on not lifting restrictions based on current numbers

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 166 ✭✭Harpon

It was street parties galore in my estate yesterday, absolutely no social distancing going on at all, great to see. People are no longer being duped by the scare mongering.

Hopefully most businesses give two fingers to FG next week and just open up. It’s alright for FG, they don’t have to survive on 350 a week, their livelihoods aren’t being destroyed.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,447 ✭✭✭Ginger n Lemon

Harpon wrote: »
    It was street parties galore in my estate yesterday, absolutely no social distancing going on at all, great to see. People are no longer being duped by the scare mongering.

Hopefully most businesses give two fingers to FG next week and just open up. It’s alright for FG, they don’t have to survive on 350 a week, their livelihoods aren’t being destroyed.

Can confirm house parties in my estate yesterday too, thankfully I was drunk (i am a product of FG lockdown environment) so fell asleep safe and sound and quickly, but would imagine sober people having a hard time to sleep nowadays.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,379 ✭✭✭FintanMcluskey

KrustyUCC wrote: »
    Tony would have a very hard sell on not lifting restrictions based on current numbers

He has had a hard sell to justify restrictions after May18th, nothing will change.

The guy is under no pressure

• Registered Users Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭Birdie Num Num

Can confirm house parties in my estate yesterday too, thankfully I was drunk (i am a product of FG lockdown environment) so fell asleep safe and sound and quickly, but would imagine sober people having a hard time to sleep nowadays.

Not all heroes wear capes

• Registered Users Posts: 8,379 ✭✭✭FintanMcluskey

Yeah Claire Byrne will be on with another poll strongly in favour of restrictions, she needs to back to her fancy shed and stay there.

RTE presenter's are stealing a living. Complete fraud's spouting muck and refusing to ask difficult questions, amateur stuff.

Now where will I put my life size poster of Ivan

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,845 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Lundstram wrote: »
    Of course he's not. He's one vested interest in this and that's his own reputation, he doesn't care about the economy, he's on a 6 figure salary. Leo needs to put his foot down and open the bloody country before the economy goes over a cliff.

Schools reopening in other countries while the Irish aren't allowed go beyond 5km from their home, I'm a FG man I have to admit but this is just crazy right now. Totally unnecessary.

The problem isn't that Holohan has staged some sort of coup, it's that Leo willingly handed the decision-making over to him.

Varadkar is arguably the worst Taoiseach we've had in living memory - and I'd include worse than Cowen in that who, for all his faults, was thrown under the bus by Bertie and cracked I think under the strain of a situation that also cost the late Brian Lenihan his life.

Leo has always been weak. Great on soundbites (generally about someone else's brief) which is why the media loved him, but delivered almost nothing in his own. The only reason he ascended to the top spot was because of the same spin strategy - he's young, he's openly gay (cynically announced on national radio for maximum personal effect during the SSM campaign), his heritage. Look how far Ireland has come! :rolleyes: Absolutely nothing in there about his competence for the job, and the whole campaign showed the contempt with which FG generally hold the democratic process - ignoring the preference of their own party for Coveney to ensure Leo got the job! (although Coveney, completely beholden to the EU Federalist agenda, would arguably be worse!).

But I digress...

The net result of all this is Leo (who has one eye on being Taoiseach again in the musical chairs dance with Martin, and the other on some lecture circuit or some plum EU post when the appeal of local politics fades) won't make any actual decision unless he can hide behind someone else - be it Holohan, the rest of the cabinet, IBEC etc. The man just doesn't do accountability so if Tony recommends July 20th, that's what he'll go with.

But if someone doesn't take a look around and start making decisions more in-line with protecting the economy and general population rather than their own ass soon, the damage caused will take another decade to unwind.

Mr.S wrote: »
    Well that's stupid.

People still need to be mindful of social distancing and limit the number of people you come in contact with, it's not like the virus has disappeared completely.

If you are young, fit and healthy the risk is effectively zero.

The vast majority of people who have symptoms will do the right thing and stay at home, if they didn’t they would soon get told where to go. There’s a miniscule chance people at the street parties are asymptomatic, but given the levels of infection we have now this risk is effectively zero. Go on out and enjoy yourself, there’s no need to be afraid anymore.

Unless you aren't 'young, fit and healthy'? :confused:

What about people who are asymptomatic?

Then I’d guess these people would socially distance. I’ve already mentioned asymptomatic people.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Then I’d guess these people would socially distance. I’ve already mentioned asymptomatic people.

There are estimates that up to 50% of people can be asymptomatic how do you decide who may or may not be?

And what do you mean by no social distancing? Were you at all of these parties?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 917 ✭✭✭MickeyLeari

Unless you aren't 'young, fit and healthy'? :confused:

What about people who are asymptomatic?

Don't get me wrong, i'm all for restrictions to be eased quicker, but it's not like we can go back to normal straight away.

Nphet incompetence was summed up by the mask issue. Messaging was wrong on this - they should be mandatory on public transport as that will help ensure a reasonable amount of capacity.

I’ve made a lot of contributions to these threads but at this point there is just nothing left to be said.

We’ll have had the longest and most restrictive lockdown in the world whenever it does finally end.

The experts were very wrong with their predictions. Still some way away from 2000 deaths, never mind some of the outrageous predictions made.

Businesses are on the verge of going bust. Hospitals are lying empty. No cancer screenings and many other medical issues getting missed. Happy to bankrupt our children.

It’s an absolute joke how we’ve handled this. There should be an investigation to make sure the same mistakes are never allowed to happen again.

The curve was flattened weeks ago now. Why are we not open?

And there's the problem, having rules for one set and none for another. What about if a few people who are asymptomatic and then go and infect everyone at a party because we've eased the restrictions for the young and healthy? What about the people who have symptoms but carry on as normal and pass it off as a cold / cough? Safer to have a blanket restriction across the board and not pick and chose.

Even countries who are far ahead of us with re-opening are still following social distancing / group gathering policies.

We have 59 cases in a population of 5 million. Most of those are in care homes and hospitals. Lads, there is no risk anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,387 ✭✭✭GiftofGab

Anybody know which phase will Glendalough open at?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 904 ✭✭✭Blaze420

I’ve made a lot of contributions to these threads but at this point there is just nothing left to be said.

We’ll have had the longest and most restrictive lockdown in the world whenever it does finally end.

The experts were very wrong with their predictions. Still some way away from 2000 deaths, never mind some of the outrageous predictions made.

Businesses are on the verge of going bust. Hospitals are lying empty. No cancer screenings and many other medical issues getting missed. Happy to bankrupt our children.

It’s an absolute joke how we’ve handled this. There should be an investigation to make sure the same mistakes are never allowed to happen again.

To be fair there is no manual for how to deal with this, any mistakes will simply be viewed in hindsight - and hopefully there is never another time when we need to enact things like this again.

In saying that though, the path out need to be reactive not set in stone and dragged out for another 10 weeks yet. Facts as of now need to be looked at and realistically the roadmap now needs to move to a week between phases instead of 3, there is no justification for the original timeline any longer.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭fleet_admiral

Me and the wife floated the idea of getting out in the next year or so. There's no progress here and there is no way my son should have to pay for the incompetence of others and I am definitely not raising him for export

• Advertisement

We had 59 new cases reported yesterday, that's not the total active cases (which is 1k+). Foolish to say there is no risk anymore.

For the vast majority of the population there is no risk. Look at the hospital stats to see this only badly effects immune compromised people and the elderly. 80% of cases are mild to moderate. If you are healthy and under 60 there is basically no risk.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭Micky 32

We had 59 new cases reported yesterday, that's not the total active cases (which is 1k+). Foolish to say there is no risk anymore.

Well I’d imagine those 1k active cases are in isolation and won’t be out spreading it anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭vid36

Micky 32 wrote: »
    Well I’d imagine those 1k active cases are in isolation and won’t be out spreading it anyway.

You are only catching about 10% of cases in the tests, the real figure for new cases is between 500-600

An interesting chart (and perspective)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭alta stare

Yeah same in and around our place. We had a barbecue ourselves. Only 6 of us there though so it was a nice handy night. Good to see people having a good time though.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,779 ✭✭✭Benimar

Micky 32 wrote: »

Not having a pop off you, but given some people wont even stick to within 5km of their house, and others won’t maintain Social Distance, I wouldn’t be entirely confident that all 1k are sticking to isolation either.

Benimar wrote: »
    Not having a pop off you, but given some people wont even stick to within 5km of their house, and others won’t maintain Social Distance, I wouldn’t be entirely confident that all 1k are sticking to isolation either.

At this stage would it be safer with much more open with sensible social distancing in place rather than house parties, underground hairdressing etc etc. Not to mention 20km from Dublin will mean that less places are crowded.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,428 ✭✭✭ZX7R

vid36 wrote: »
    You are only catching about 10% of cases in the tests, the real figure for new cases is between 500-600

Hospital figures don't match your statement,if we were missing that many cases our hospital figures would be much higher.

ZX7R wrote: »
    Hospital figures don't match your statement,if we were missing that many cases our hospital figures would be much higher.

The NPHET have consistently said their modelling is based on there being one undetected case for every one they do detect

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭Micky 32

vid36 wrote: »

I was talking about the 1k active cases that are in isolation that shouldn’t pose a risk to the public not the new cases.

Seeing that you mentioned the 500/600 new cases you have something to back that up or did you pull that number out of your arse?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement