Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Relaxation of Restrictions, Part IV - **Read OP for Mod Warnings**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,968 ✭✭✭yosemitesam1

ZX7R wrote: »
    Hospital figures don't match your statement,if we were missing that many cases our hospital figures would be much higher.

Or the hospitalisation rate is much lower than the official number

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 302 ✭✭Muscles Schultz

Gael23 wrote: »

Dunno what the curtain twitchers will do with themselves in that case

• Registered Users Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭Micky 32

It could fairly heat things up on here with the lockdown vs the anti lockdown merchants on these threads.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭Cork Boy 53

Nphet incompetence was summed up by the mask issue. Messaging was wrong on this - they should be mandatory on public transport as that will help ensure a reasonable amount of capacity.

And what about the brigade who would refuse to wear them as they don`t like to obey rules and the others who would want them given to them for free ? What is your opinion of them?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭fleet_admiral

They'll ring Joe Duffy and give out hell to Bridie in Centra

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,038 ✭✭✭KrustyUCC

Government warned against rush to ease Covid-19 travel restrictions

https://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/government-warned-against-rush-to-ease-covid-19-travel-restrictions-1002640.html

More scaremongering from Dr Scally

Other countries can open up travel but apparently over three months of travel restrictions is a rush lol

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭Cork Boy 53

Or the hospitalisation rate is much lower than the official number

And your evidence for this statement is what exactly?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 917 ✭✭✭MickeyLeari

And what about the brigade who would refuse to wear them as they don`t like to obey rules and the others who would want them given to them for free ? What is your opinion of them?

Get the advice right and then police it and message around it rather than the wish washy advice so far

KrustyUCC wrote: »

https://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/government-warned-against-rush-to-ease-covid-19-travel-restrictions-1002640.html

Other countries can open up travel but apparently over three months of travel restrictions is a rush lol

The challenge is that it is not black and white. There needs to be logic behind it based on public health safeguards within open premises. The Timeframe for the current plan is too long and it has seemed incoherent.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭Micky 32

KrustyUCC wrote: »

You’ll find that the travel restrictions aren’t affecting Dr Scally’s life in anyway hence his comments.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭greensheep777

I am Irish, living in Germany, and it's downright embarrassing how Ireland is still under lock and key. Paddy last, as always. No wonder so many people are so vocal about the lockdown continuing when they're getting €350 a week to sit on their arses. And who is going to pay for all this? Already people are complaining that the EU isn't giving Ireland unlimited money to just sit at home when everyone else is going back to work. Leo will have his hat in his hand, playing the Poor Paddy card, and I hope he gets told to take a running jump. I spent long enough in Ireland paying into a healthcare system that isn't fit for farm animals, I'm not having my taxes here going towards letting people sit on their arses while wringing their hands about how they don't want anything reopened until there's a vaccine.

• Registered Users Posts: 908 ✭✭✭Jayesdiem

I am Irish, living in Germany, and it's downright embarrassing how Ireland is still under lock and key. Paddy last, as always. No wonder so many people are so vocal about the lockdown continuing when they're getting €350 a week to sit on their arses. And who is going to pay for all this? Already people are complaining that the EU isn't giving Ireland unlimited money to just sit at home when everyone else is going back to work. Leo will have his hat in his hand, playing the Poor Paddy card, and I hope he gets told to take a running jump. I spent long enough in Ireland paying into a healthcare system that isn't fit for farm animals, I'm not having my taxes here going towards letting people sit on their arses while wringing their hands about how they don't want anything reopened until there's a vaccine.

The hilarious thing about the “wait for a vaccine crowd” (who are even worse than the pro-lockdown crowd) is that a vaccine may never, ever arrive. I haven’t yet heard anything to convince me that these people wouldn’t be happy to stay at home for the next decade or two. Could you imagine being so paralysed with fear over this flu that you would not even consider a return to life until there was 0% risk? I wonder are these same people aware of the, albeit, small chance that they get involved in a car accident or a house fire or a street mugging? If we are to walk in fear of such things, why ever leave the house at all. Regardless of Ireland’s policies, it is this perverted logic of the mindless general populace that has fuelled my deep anger over this situation. People are soft as sh1t.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,978 ✭✭✭✭Stark

GiftofGab wrote: »
    Anybody know which phase will Glendalough open at?

Thought it was open already? All those places were supposed to open in phase 1 (for people living within 5km of them)

• Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭newuser99999

Stark wrote: »
    Thought it was open already? All those places were supposed to open in phase 1 (for people living within 5km of them)

Not necessarily, Croagh Patrick is still locked up and closed.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,447 ✭✭✭Ginger n Lemon

Fantastic post. It is getting very embarrassing. As other poster here mentioned Leo will go down as the worst head of state, looking increasingly more likely by the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭KindOfIrish

Not necessarily, Croagh Patrick is still locked up and closed.

St Patrick would not support this madness, i am sure.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,480 ✭✭✭bloodless_coup

I'm up a mountain at the moment, several hundred Kms past my 5km limit.

Since I'm outside my 5km limit I'm holding my breath to make sure I don't catch the covid. Makes the climb a bit harder I have to say.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,544 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

Me and the wife floated the idea of getting out in the next year or so. There's no progress here and there is no way my son should have to pay for the incompetence of others and I am definitely not raising him for export

Don't blame you.

This could be one of the best countries in the world but it seems no matter who we vote in to run the place they fook things up and then retire on their big pensions.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,569 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

Fantastic post. It is getting very embarrassing. As other poster here mentioned Leo will go down as the worst head of state, looking increasingly more likely by the day.

This is just comical at this point.
    Trump to the left, Johnson to the right, but some people in Ireland losing their sh*t over a leader who is following scientific advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭Jim Root

What a pathetic post, like many of the others criticising this post today.
    Just saw on social media, Gardaí had to be called to Salthill, big fight between intoxicated youths...things are going to boil over and fast if the authorities don’t wake up.
    These young people have had absolutely nothing to do for months, and still 3 more months to go. There’s even talk now school won’t even return properly which is absolutely ridiculous in itself.

Intoxicated youths have been fighting long before COVID

• Advertisement

Trump to the left, Johnson to the right, but some people in Ireland losing their sh*t over a leader who is following scientific advice.

Leader who is following <3

what an oxymoron

Last time I checked leader should inspire, lead and challenge. Which boxes is Leo ticking?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,851 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

Leader who is following <3

what an oxymoron

Last time I checked leader should inspire, lead and challenge. Which boxes is Leo ticking?

In fairness he has led well in this crisis, tv conferences were reassuring.

Might be getting the exit phase wrong but it looks like they will speed it up. Letting europe lead is no harm once we learn from them and not make the same mistakes

He is a safe leader which is better than reckless one.

In fairness he has led well in this crisis, tv conferences were reassuring.

Might be getting the exit phase wrong but it looks like they will speed it up. Letting europe lead is no harm once we learn from them and not make the same mistakes

He is a safe leader which is better than reckless one.

Each to their own I guess. I think that the minute he went to late late instead of facing journalists questions or in fact questioning from other govt parties after announcing a questionable 2 week lockdown extension, thats when my opinion of him lowered significantly. His late late cameo was poor I found as well.

And no to put oil in fire or anything like that but I think overseeing govt that allows HSE to suspend cancer screening for 12 weeks + (3 months) is as reckless as it gets.

That is lowest common denominator stuff. We should bench mark him against normal countries like Germany, Spain, Austria, France, Netherlands, Denmark and Belgium. And on that front I am not sure he is leading particularly well. I thought he did well on the lock down and on the st Patrick’s day speech but they have been all over the place for the last month.

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭GocRh

Only 900k people are in employment and do not depend on State support. To put it into perspective, 4.9M people live in the Republic.
    That's a rather worrying number.
    Life needs to go back to a new normal now, not in August.

'Speaking on RTÉ’s Week in Politics programme, Mr O’Donovan said that out of a labour force of around 2.5 million people, some 1.6 million are either public servants already or receiving some form of payment from the State.

“It is not sustainable going forward that we have 1.6 million people drawing an income support at some level from the State and 900,000 not drawing a support.'

https://www.irishtimes...ister-says-1.4266961

• Registered Users Posts: 4,517 ✭✭✭RobitTV

The lockdown is over today. The public have broken through the 5km barrier and today is the day I've seen a very significant amount of people walking around and getting ice cream and chips and sitting down by the beach.

People have had enough and I do believe now the scaremongering is starting to fail and the tide is turning fast.

The lockdown restrictions will have to be moved forward even more then the end of June which is now being considered instead of July. We need a middle of June date.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,779 ✭✭✭Benimar

RobitTV wrote: »
    The lockdown is over today. The public have broken through the 5km barrier and today is the day I've seen a very significant amount of people walking around and getting ice cream and chips and sitting down by the beach.

People have had enough and I do believe now the scaremongering is starting to fail and the tide is turning fast.

The lockdown restrictions will have to be moved forward even more then the end of June which is now being considered instead of July. We need a middle of June date.

Must be a different beach to me (and we are in the same part of the country). I can’t swear that no one from further than 5km made it through, but loads of cars were stopped by the Gardai and numbers on the beach were way down on expected.

As with yesterday, take out the teens and there is almost 100% compliance with SD.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,342 ✭✭✭prunudo

RobitTV wrote: »

Was working yesterday and as I drove home through a local town it struck me that people were just out and about. Before people seemed to have a sense of purpose to what they were doing, yesterday was the first time I'd noticed people just aimlessly going around enjoying themselves.
    Similar today, I went, for the first time in 10 weeks to a forest that would be beyond my 5km. Not as busy as usual but anyone I talked to was sick of the 5km restriction and weren't afraid to hide the fact they weren't local. First time noticing randoners giving out about the pace of opening up.

Benimar wrote: »
    Must be a different beach to me (and we are in the same part of the country). I can’t swear that no one from further than 5km made it through, but loads of cars were stopped by the Gardai and numbers on the beach were way down on expected.

As with yesterday, take out the teens and there is almost 100% compliance with SD.

Which is positive. A quicker but controlled exit is the win-win. Then manage risks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭newuser99999

Each to their own I guess. I think that the minute he went to late late instead of facing journalists questions or in fact questioning from other govt parties after announcing a questionable 2 week lockdown extension, thats when my opinion of him lowered significantly. His late late cameo was poor I found as well.

And no to put oil in fire or anything like that but I think overseeing govt that allows HSE to suspend cancer screening for 12 weeks + (3 months) is as reckless as it gets.

His late late appearance was embarrassing really. Tubridy asking him simple questions about what’s allowed and what’s not allowed with the restrictions and he could barely answer him.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement