Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Relaxation of Restrictions, Part IV - **Read OP for Mod Warnings**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭batman_oh

Benimar wrote: »
    Must be a different beach to me (and we are in the same part of the country). I can’t swear that no one from further than 5km made it through, but loads of cars were stopped by the Gardai and numbers on the beach were way down on expected.

As with yesterday, take out the teens and there is almost 100% compliance with SD.

Teens and Brazilians - I walked out the bull wall to Dollymount earlier and there were gangs of Brazilians everywhere drinking. I don't think the groups of 20 plus were from the same households :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,779 ✭✭✭Benimar

Which is positive. A quicker but controlled exit is the win-win. Then manage risks.

Yes, people sticking to the restrictions is a positive. It means we can move forwards through the phases.

I’m more concerned that people get ahead of themselves and things get delayed. August 10th isn’t ideal, but I can see the logic and I’m reconciled to it.

The thought of us making a mess of the exit from restrictions and being back here in the winter is of far more concern to me than a slow exit.

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭KindOfIrish

Must be a different beach to me (and we are in the same part of the country). I can’t swear that no one from further than 5km made it through, but loads of cars were stopped by the Gardai and numbers on the beach were way down on expected.

As with yesterday, take out the teens and there is almost 100% compliance with SD.

Give me the name. i am will drive to your imaginary beach right now.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,779 ✭✭✭Benimar

Give me the name. i am will drive to your imaginary beach right now.

And what will you say to the Guards who have a roadblock on the way in since Friday?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,064 ✭✭✭funnydoggy

From the Atlantic pond to Blackrock in Cork today, the place was teeming with people. Some were social distancing but not the majority.

This is every day since the Marina was pedestrianised and it is absolutely lovely.

A hot, sunny day in fresh air (probably some of the freshest air in Cork right now given the lack of cars) with natural ventilation and lots of vitamin D production. Guards were around too and seemed to be enjoying it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,517 ✭✭✭RobitTV

Daily Telegraph (UK) - Pubs to use lockdown loophole as Ireland counts cost of draconian shutdown

Almost half of pubs may exploit a loophole in government rules by opening as a 'restaurant' in June, according to a survey last week. Officially, watering holes can open their doors again in August, but those with restaurant certificates could open earlier - raising the prospect of drinkers having to book a table in advance and order their Guinness from a waiter.

Even the Daily Telegraph is calling Ireland's lockdown draconian.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,517 ✭✭✭RobitTV

The British Foreign Secretary Dominic Raab has insisted the UK government is taking the right steps at the right time in its response to the coronavirus outbreak and that the country "can't stay in lockdown forever".

Bang on the money.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,357 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

A lot more politicians and media now saying this 3 month relaxation won't work.

I have a feeling a lot of this will be fast tracked

• Registered Users Posts: 908 ✭✭✭Jayesdiem

Yes, people sticking to the restrictions is a positive. It means we can move forwards through the phases.

I’m more concerned that people get ahead of themselves and things get delayed. August 10th isn’t ideal, but I can see the logic and I’m reconciled to it.

The thought of us making a mess of the exit from restrictions and being back here in the winter is of far more concern to me than a slow exit.

So Europe are making a mess of things by your estimation?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

Looks like a normal summer day, with a bit more people drinking in public spaces then usual.

No more social distancing then normal. Lockdown feels like it is over. Its just a summer where we don't work /work from home

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,211 ✭✭✭pgj2015

In fairness he has led well in this crisis, tv conferences were reassuring.

Might be getting the exit phase wrong but it looks like they will speed it up. Letting europe lead is no harm once we learn from them and not make the same mistakes

He is a safe leader which is better than reckless one.

You must have missed his st paddys day speech. most depressing uninspiring fear mongering speech I have ever heard, and none of it turned out to be true.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭Micky 32

And what will you say to the Guards who have a roadblock on the way in since Friday?

To be fair you won’t see many people going to a beach where theres a road block. They’ll be flocking to other places where there isn’t one. Not enough cops to man them all.

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭greensheep777

This is just comical at this point.
    Trump to the left, Johnson to the right, but some people in Ireland losing their sh*t over a leader who is following scientific advice.

We're doing better than two of the worst, so that means we're doing well? What a defeatist attitude. Sure why did we bother giving women the vote, we should have just told them to go look at Saudi Arabia and Iraq.
    In fairness he has led well in this crisis, tv conferences were reassuring.

Might be getting the exit phase wrong but it looks like they will speed it up. Letting europe lead is no harm once we learn from them and not make the same mistakes

He is a safe leader which is better than reckless one.

Ireland is *in* Europe. The pro-lockdown crowd will suddenly become very European when they want someone to pay for their handouts. What is safe about cancelling cancer screenings and operations that people have been waiting months if not years for?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,133 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

pgj2015 wrote: »
    You must have missed his st paddys day speech. most depressing uninspiring fear mongering speech I have ever heard, and none of it turned out to be true.

Why can people not understand that it didnt come true BECAUSE of the lockdown and the measures taken
    We could have had a ****show like Italy if we carried on as normal

• Registered Users Posts: 908 ✭✭✭Jayesdiem

I’ve followed this thread for a while now, only commenting more and more as my frustration levels grew in response to the blind compliance and inflated sense of fear shown by a number of fellow posters (certainly not all). I’m talking about the “ah sure I understand the wait until August” and the “I’m not moving until a vaccine is found” brigades. In a hypothetical scenario in which Ireland had to fight for its independence again in 2020, these are not the type of guys you would want on your side in a trench. If they were to be conscripted, they’d find any way possible to abdicate responsibility or, worse, go turncoat and inform on their neighbours, actions all driven by fear. Roy Keane once said of Kieran Gibbbs: “'when [he is your] captain, you're in big trouble”. These guys are Kieran Gibbs.......just weak.

• How long can a person stay outside meeting friends? Is there a time limit on that? Thanks

Jayesdiem wrote: »
    I’ve followed this thread for a while now, only commenting more and more as my frustration levels grew in response to the blind compliance and inflated sense of fear shown by a number of fellow posters (certainly not all). I’m talking about the “ah sure I understand the wait until August” and the “I’m not moving until a vaccine is found” brigades. In a hypothetical scenario in which Ireland had to fight for its independence again in 2020, these are not the type of guys you would want on your side in a trench. If they were to be conscripted, they’d find any way possible to abdicate responsibility or, worse, go turncoat and inform on their neighbours, actions all driven by fear. Roy Keane once said of Kieran Gibbbs: “'when [he is your] captain, you're in big trouble”. These guys are Kieran Gibbs.......just weak.

You can see how the Catholic Church were able to control the country for so long.

How long can a person stay outside meeting friends? Is there a time limit on that? Thanks

You get one hour for every Hail Mary but you have to go to confession if you stay out more than 4 hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,211 ✭✭✭pgj2015

iamwhoiam wrote: »
    Why can people not understand that it didnt come true BECAUSE of the lockdown and the measures taken
    We could have had a ****show like Italy if we carried on as normal

I don't want someone running the country who is so negative and pessimistic. That speech was a disgrace, it dint scare me but im sure it terrified the weak and simple minded.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,064 ✭✭✭funnydoggy

How long can a person stay outside meeting friends? Is there a time limit on that? Thanks

I'm not 100% sure, don't think they've mentioned any *specific* time limit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭Jim Root

His late late appearance was embarrassing really. Tubridy asking him simple questions about what’s allowed and what’s not allowed with the restrictions and he could barely answer him.

Because they we’re only agreed a few hours earlier: the fact he checked notes showed proper leadership. He took his time to get it right rather than spout nonsense.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 917 ✭✭✭MickeyLeari

Jayesdiem wrote: »

Well said.

History has shown that many (particularly the Dubs) were a fairly compliant lot during British occupation. Thankfully we had others who thought differently.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,666 ✭✭✭DebDynamite

The more I hear things like “the ESRI predict Ireland on course for the worst recession in history..” the angrier I become.

This is utter madness! We are getting the warnings in advance, this will not be a normal recession - it’s completely in our control. Why are we committing economic suicide?! We need to open up (within reason obviously), before we wreck the country and have another lost decade

• You get one hour for every Hail Mary but you have to go to confession if you stay out more than 4 hours.

:D:D Very good! :) Seriously though, its for a work situation. Is there any time limit? There doesn't seem to be? Theoretically you could stay out all day in the company of 3 others?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,266 ✭✭✭CruelSummer

Fergal Bowers used my username in his article today so I thought it might be worth a mention!

https://www.rte.ie/news/2020/0529/1143424-cruel-summer-promises-hard-questions-fresh-challenges/

'2020 looks like being a cruel summer, unlike any other. The usual mix of music festivals, sports, arts and literary events have vanished.'

He also summarised the situation on the whole without coming down on any one side. Mentioned Nursing Homes, R value & is it effective as a method of controlling the virus, economic and social consequences of restrictions, and the halt to cancer screening.

I found it interesting what he said re France:
    "Take France for example. From this Tuesday, 2 June, people can go to a café, bar or restaurant but must keep a distance of one metre from other tables. They can also travel more than 100km from their residence.

And they can go to the theatre for a show, take a swim, go to the gym and attend school. Experts here and politicians will be closely watching how this works out in other countries and if their R values rise."

Thought this was interesting also regarding Ireland:
    "Despite these positive numbers, we are still advised to physically distance two metres, the national finances are heading in the wrong direction and the road map out of here looks very long.

At this time of crisis, public health advice is crucial. But the Government must also take into account other considerations too: the economic reality and the good of society."

• Registered Users Posts: 7,636 ✭✭✭Dr. Bre

Well said.

History has shown that many (particularly the Dubs) were a fairly compliant lot during British occupation. Thankfully we had others who thought differently.

Up the dubs

• Registered Users Posts: 7,571 ✭✭✭Penfailed

:D:D Very good! :) Seriously though, its for a work situation. Is there any time limit? There doesn't seem to be? Theoretically you could stay out all day in the company of 3 others?

There's no limit.

Gigs '24 - Ben Ottewell and Ian Ball (Gomez), The Jesus & Mary Chain, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Pearl Jam, Green Day, Stendhal Festival, Forest Fest, Electric Picnic, Ride, PJ Harvey, Pixies, Public Service Broadcasting, Therapy?, IDLES(x2)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,447 ✭✭✭Ginger n Lemon

Tomorrow marks 14 days since 100,000 + construction lads went back to work, hardware shops opened up. Whatever 5 day incubation period or delay in new cases reporting etc clearly there is no surge or spike in cases (in fact quite the opposite, wow, incomprehensible)

Why do we need to strangle our economy for 1 more week before making "announcements"?

Seriously at this stage this feels like just a big ego play from Tony H & Leo who announced the turtle plan that looks like the most out of touch plan on the planet in terms of lifting lockdown restrictions. Preventing IKEA from opening also looks like a big mistake now. F*ck sakes like

• Registered Users Posts: 4,478 ✭✭✭tigger123

Well said.

People giving out about the lockdown are now comparable to the heroes of 1916.

Christ on a bike.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,447 ✭✭✭Ginger n Lemon

These damn Neil Fergusons

"Dr Gabriel Scally has responded to that suggestion, saying: “I’m happy to debate public health with Michael O’Leary any time.

“Personally speaking, and a lot of people will feel the same, I’d rather he got on with refunding all the people all the money he owes them from the flights that he’s cancelled
    . And get on with running the airline, and leave public health to the public health authorities. Which are the departments of health.”

Speaking earlier, Dr Scally said speeding up the country's re-opening carries risks."

https://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/ireland/scally-ryanair-boss-should-leave-public-health-to-the-authorities-1002687.html

What a pompous pric* referring to MOL as if MOL cancelled Ryanair flights as his own decision.

"debate public health" what a load of shi*e. Whats there to debate our new cases are in double digits for 3rd week in a row now. And now this lad (with no international experience, Dr Scally here has never worked outside of UK/Ireland in his entire life) is preaching doom and risks of countries re opening. Why have none of these risks materialised in Germany, Denmark, Norway, Czech Republic, Austria, Netherlands, Switzerland??

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement