Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Relaxation of Restrictions, Part IV - **Read OP for Mod Warnings**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭GocRh

batman_oh wrote: »
    gangs of Brazilians everywhere drinking. I don't think the groups of 20 plus were from the same households :pac:

I wonder if the government will still allow non-EU 'students' unfeathered access to the job market once the dust settles.
    That was fine when unemployment levels were low, but by all indications the services and tourism industry will take a long time to recover.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,976 ✭✭✭✭titan18

These damn Neil Fergusons

"Dr Gabriel Scally has responded to that suggestion, saying: “I’m happy to debate public health with Michael O’Leary any time.

“Personally speaking, and a lot of people will feel the same, I’d rather he got on with refunding all the people all the money he owes them from the flights that he’s cancelled
    . And get on with running the airline, and leave public health to the public health authorities. Which are the departments of health.”

Speaking earlier, Dr Scally said speeding up the country's re-opening carries risks."

https://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/ireland/scally-ryanair-boss-should-leave-public-health-to-the-authorities-1002687.html

What a pompous pric* referring to MOL as if MOL cancelled Ryanair flights as his own decision.

"debate public health" what a load of shi*e. Whats there to debate our new cases are in double digits for 3rd week in a row now. And now this lad (with no international experience, Dr Scally here has never worked outside of UK/Ireland in his entire life) is preaching doom and risks of countries re opening. Why have none of these risks materialised in Germany, Denmark, Norway, Czech Republic, Austria, Netherlands, Switzerland??

It would be nice if he started refunding people their money back though. Rather than people having to go through chargebacks and Small Claims Court to get their money back.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,240 ✭✭✭Sammy2012

GocRh wrote: »
    I wonder if the government will still allow non-EU 'students' unfeathered access to the job market once the dust settles.
    That was fine when unemployment levels were low, but by all indications the services and tourism industry will take a long time to recover.

The tourist industry here is a joke. Have you looked at the price of hotels here from the 20th of July?? Its no wonder so many people holiday abroad. We cancelled our holidays for this summer in Portugal but all going well will get there next year. We might have considered a weekend away here but no way! It's crazy money. Itll take alot longer to recover if they keep ripping off people.

• Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭bettyoleary

titan18 wrote: »
    It would be nice if he started refunding people their money back though. Rather than people having to go through chargebacks and Small Claims Court to get their money back.
    I cant believe anyone with half a brain would listen to this little weasel. He would never have stopped flying if he didn't have too. He was grounded. He is telling experts in virology and public health how to do their job. He needs to start giving people their money back. He has billions in money reserve and is using payment for flights as a ponzi scheme. Selling flights to people he knows will never fly.

He has no regard for his staff for his Irish roots. He would have contributed to the spread of the virus so much more if he wasn't stopped. Don't be taken in by him. He didn't fly over to UK on a Ryanair flight to Cheltenham and stand in the crowds. You can be sure of that. He just had his horse running.

Sammy2012 wrote: »
    The tourist industry here is a joke. Have you looked at the price of hotels here from the 20th of July?? Its no wonder so many people holiday abroad. We cancelled our holidays for this summer in Portugal but all going well will get there next year. We might have considered a weekend away here but no way! It's crazy money. Itll take alot longer to recover if they keep ripping off people.
    Stop giving money to the weasel Michael O'Leary. Close down our borders and open up all our pubs and restaurants and hotels safely. Charge a fair price and everybody holiday at home and give back to our economy. We could do this easier and more quickly if we stopped or at least quarantined foreign travel Why would you give this psycho your money to buy an new race horse.

• Advertisement

There is another thread in the Covid section that was started a few days ago. It gives a good indication of why the lockdown still has such support.

Its actually quite a depressing read. A bunch of people celebrating having some extra money right now without realising what lies ahead.

• Registered Users Posts: 41 DeirdreDee

GocRh wrote: »

Do you think they should be tarred too?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭Cork Boy 53

I cant believe anyone with half a brain would listen to this little weasel. He would never have stopped flying if he didn't have too. He was grounded. He is telling experts in virology and public health how to do their job. He needs to start giving people their money back. He has billions in money reserve and is using payment for flights as a ponzi scheme. Selling flights to people he knows will never fly.

He has no regard for his staff for his Irish roots. He would have contributed to the spread of the virus so much more if he wasn't stopped. Don't be taken in by him. He didn't fly over to UK on a Ryanair flight to Cheltenham and stand in the crowds. You can be sure of that. He just had his horse running.
    Stop giving money to the weasel Michael O'Leary. Close down our borders and open up all our pubs and restaurants and hotels safely. Charge a fair price and everybody holiday at home and give back to our economy. We could do this easier and more quickly if we stopped or at least quarantined foreign travel Why would you give this psycho your money to buy an new race horse.

No love lost among the O`Leary clan obviously. In fairness calling him a psycho and a weasel is extreme.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,266 ✭✭✭CruelSummer

Totally agree, we tried to book for late July also and couldn’t believe the prices. What a rip off, it’s the price of booking flights, accommodation and all associated costs with travel abroad to just rent or book accommodation here. Ridiculous, wouldn’t give them my hard earned money for those prices.
    They’ll have to change their tune in Ireland if they’re not welcoming tourists or ‘outsiders’ anytime soon as the government handouts will be curtailed.

Totally agree, we tried to book for late July also and couldn’t believe the prices. What a rip off, it’s the price of booking flights, accommodation and all associated costs with travel abroad to just rent or book accommodation here. Ridiculous, wouldn’t give them my hard earned money for those prices.
    They’ll have to change their tune in Ireland if they’re not welcoming tourists or ‘outsiders’ anytime soon as the government handouts will be curtailed.

We have booked 10 nights in portugal for 4 adults and 2 kids for 2200e. I know theres extra costs with transfers and things like that but still. I priced hotels in Galway and Cork for the second weekend in August and it was 500e for 2nights with breakfast for our family of 2 adults and 2 kids. My parents travel abroad with us.We live in North Wexford and my own local hotel is charging 800e for 2 nights!!!!! That's crazy!

• Advertisement

What is wrong with a flight credit in the interim as they’ve so many claims to process? Or are you of the thinking they’re better off going bust, more people unemployed, less access to Ireland via air travel, etc. Sure it will be grand, we can all sit in the sun on our never ending €350 per week.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,738 ✭✭✭Naos

Jayesdiem wrote: »
    In a hypothetical scenario in which Ireland had to fight for its independence again in 2020, these are not the type of guys you would want on your side in a trench.

On the flip side, you could argue that those who cannot follow simple instructions for a short period are the type of guys you would not want on your side.

If you go back to the start of our lockdown, people were giving out about the difficulty of it and this was a far easier lockdown than most of Europe in terms of being able to go out to exercise 2km etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,447 ✭✭✭Ginger n Lemon

We have booked 10 nights in portugal for 4 adults and 2 kids for 2200e. I know theres extra costs with transfers and things like that but still. I priced hotels in Galway and Cork for the second weekend in August and it was 500e for 2nights with breakfast for our family of 2 adults and 2 kids. My parents travel abroad with us.We live in North Wexford and my own local hotel is charging 800e for 2 nights!!!!! That's crazy!

Woah that is crazy.

Getting to that stage where its a bit ironic we all want lifting of restrictions to happen quickly but if hotels here will be charging 500 euros do they even deserve to be in businesses without adjusting their prices down in a recession?

They do. everybody makes mistakes, it will take them sometime to realise to adjust.

Thanks for the advice Betty but I will not be taking it. We are an open economy and we need people to come here. I'm also not a huge fan of MOL but I will continue to fly with him as without him and his company we wouldn't have been able to travel as cheaply as we do and have done for many years.

Naos wrote: »
    On the flip side, you could argue that those who cannot follow simple instructions for a short period are the type of guys you would not want on your side.

If you go back to the start of our lockdown, people were giving out about the difficulty of it and this was a far easier lockdown than most of Europe in terms of being able to go out to exercise 2km etc.

I would still be of the opinion that apart from the high risk groups there was never a proper lockdown in Ireland at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,892 ✭✭✭the kelt

Tell Leo that, hard to give back to the economy when your denied the chance to.

We have numbers of new cases done in the 50’s and 60’s, 40 odd in icu’s in the entire country and hospitals practically empty yet the people aren’t allowed buy a pair of curtains or stray more than 5k from their house.

What hotel was charging that and how different is that to prices at the same time of year pre-Covid19?

Because generally speaking, Irish hotels are always very, very expensive in comparison to our Europe.

Yes same, we were looking for accommodation along the Wild Atlantic Way and the prices were just scandalous, both in the hotels & private house / holiday home bookings. And there is no guarantee of weather. Indoor amenities would be closed at the rate Ireland is reopening...

What hotel was charging that and how different is that to prices at the same time of year pre-Covid19?

Because generally speaking, Irish hotels are always very, very expensive in comparison to our Europe.

I'm not naming hotels but go on to booking.com and you'll see. That's where I got my prices. They are always that price hence why we chose to holiday abroad. I'm not disputing that. I'm only saying that if they want to kickstart people going they might want to rethink their price points for this year.

When Westlife was moved to next year in Cork I got a quote off a hotel for 345e without breakfast for 2 adults for 1 night! Crazy money!

Yes same, we were looking for accommodation along the Wild Atlantic Way and the prices were just scandalous, both in the hotels & private house / holiday home bookings. And there is no guarantee of weather. Indoor amenities would be closed at the rate Ireland is reopening...

My dad has a significant birthday coming up and we had booked to go to Killarney for 3 nights at the end of June. For my parents, myself and my 2kids under 7 it was costing 800e. I'd love to holiday in Ireland as it is beautiful and has some of the nicest places in Europe in my opinion but a 10day or 2 week holiday here would cost you thousands. And like you say your not guaranteed the weather! So we chose to holiday abroad and have done for years and hopefully we will start again next year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,976 ✭✭✭✭titan18

What is wrong with a flight credit in the interim as they’ve so many claims to process? Or are you of the thinking they’re better off going bust, more people unemployed, less access to Ireland via air travel, etc. Sure it will be grand, we can all sit in the sun on our never ending €350 per week.

Tbf, for some credit voucher be fine. I know id take it or do the free change, but then I'm still in work so can afford to not have access to the money. I'm also only booking for myself rather than a family so not as large of amount involved.

It's a lot harder for people out of work to accept the voucher as they might have essential stuff that need to be paid for.

Also a voucher that's only good for a year (not sure have they extended expiry on it) is fairly useless for a lot of people.

I'd prefer Ryanair to not go bust of course, although I prefer not flying with them myself, they're at least competition, but they have zero customer service and it's really shown in this period.

I'm not naming hotels but go on to booking.com and you'll see. That's where I got my prices. They are always that price hence why we chose to holiday abroad. I'm not disputing that. I'm only saying that if they want to kickstart people going they might want to rethink their price points for this year.

When Westlife was moved to next year in Cork I got a quote off a hotel for 345e without breakfast for 2 adults for 1 night! Crazy money!

Ah that's fine, just wondered if they were jacking their prices up.

The cost of a hotel in Ireland is crazy anyway.

Well 345 for 1 night with no breakfast for a fairly standard hotel is extortionate!! Definitely price hiking. But nothing new as you say.

Tbf, for some credit voucher be fine. I know id take it or do the free change, but then I'm still in work so can afford to not have access to the money. I'm also only booking for myself rather than a family so not as large of amount involved.

It's a lot harder for people out of work to accept the voucher as they might have essential stuff that need to be paid for.

Also a voucher that's only good for a year (not sure have they extended expiry on it) is fairly useless for a lot of people.

I'd prefer Ryanair to not go bust of course, although I prefer not flying with them myself, they're at least competition, but they have zero customer service and it's really shown in this period.

The voucher can be redeemed after 1 year for cash if not used. Or you can book a flight the day before the voucher expires for a flight in 11months time so I suppose you have almost 2 years to lose it.

I understand people are annoyed over the whole voucher thing I was myself in the beginning but the money is already spent and 99% of people will probably fly at some point in the not to distant future so they will probably use it. The amount of people saying they will never fly with Ryanair again is unreal. But I'll bet you they will!

The VAT rate for the hospitality sector was hiked up in the budget 2 years ago so that partly explains the high rates. BTW I find it ironic that many of those who want everything opened up now are the same ones criticizing those businesses that do need support.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,978 ✭✭✭✭JRant

We are at the point now whereby if restrictions aren't lifted sooner the government will have absolutely no control over the situation at all. People are starting to do their own thing because after 2.5 months they've had enough. It would be better to have the government lead the way but one way or another this country is opening yup a hell of a lot quicker than August.

Heard one of the NPHET crew on the radio earlier. They want to get to zero and copy New Zealand. That's the benchmark now folks, zero cases before we can move things forward. They've completely lost the plot at this stage.

"Well, yeah, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man"

• Registered Users Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭batman_oh

JRant wrote: »
    We are at the point now whereby if restrictions aren't lifted sooner the government will have absolutely no control over the situation at all. People are starting to do their own thing because after 2.5 months they've had enough. It would be better to have the government lead the way but one way or another this country is opening yup a hell of a lot quicker than August.

Heard one of the NPHET crew on the radio earlier. They want to get to zero and copy New Zealand. That's the benchmark now folks, zero cases before we can move things forward. They've completely lost the plot at this stage.

Would have helped if they hadn't made a balls of it at the start if they are going to spout that kind of garbage!

No love lost among the O`Leary clan obviously. In fairness calling him a psycho and a weasel is extreme.
    Why is it? He is and looks like a weasel. He reminds me of Scrooge sitting behind his desk on Christmas Eve MMM Humbug, mmm Virus humbug mmm Quarantine humbug. Get back on my petri dishes ASAP. And ill trick you into paying for a flight you wont be going on to give a refund to the next fool. We should open up our pubs, restaurants and hotels as soon as possible whilst we have good weather. Why should he be allowed to cram people with no distancing onto his plastic seats, to go and spread the virus to poor countries such as Greece.? But, our pubs etc have to abide by the rules. We can maintain distancing now its warm enough. Don't charge for tables etc on the streets. I believe we should open up our tourist industry safely and do as he does. Perhaps 20 euro a night for hotel. Its not difficult if he does it just need to work out .

The VAT rate for the hospitality sector was hiked up in the budget 2 years ago so that partly explains the high rates. BTW I find it ironic that many of those who want everything opened up now are the same ones criticizing those businesses that do need support.

I'm not one of those people. If things are opened quicker great! I'd like to bring my kids for a day out at some stage over the summer. I will stay local though and support our own small businesses. I'd also like to go to the hairdressers and I'm sure my kids would love to see their grandparents who they havent seen since February. But if they are not I'll continue to do what we are supposed to for the most part. I know we are lucky we can as we are both still working and have lots of space for the kids to play in so for now things are fine. The weather is helping being at home too. But I am looking forward to going out for dinner again and things like that. However I am also enjoying the slower pace of life.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭Micky 32

Why is it? He is and looks like a weasel. He reminds me of Scrooge sitting behind his desk on Christmas Eve MMM Humbug, mmm Virus humbug mmm Quarantine humbug. Get back on my petri dishes ASAP. And ill trick you into paying for a flight you wont be going on to give a refund to the next fool. We should open up our pubs, restaurants and hotels as soon as possible whilst we have good weather. Why should he be allowed to cram people with no distancing onto his plastic seats, to go and spread the virus to poor countries such as Greece.? But, our pubs etc have to abide by the rules. We can maintain distancing now its warm enough. Don't charge for tables etc on the streets. I believe we should open up our tourist industry safely and do as he does. Perhaps 20 euro a night for hotel. Its not difficult if he does it just need to work out .

You must be living in la la land. 20 euro a night for a hotel lol!.

What about being crammed in buses and trains around Ireland? Not much difference.

I’m no fan of MOL but because of him people and families could go on cheaper nice memorable holidays that they probably couldn’t afford years ago.

You sound like more of a begrudger of people jetting off TBH.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement