Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Relaxation of Restrictions, Part IV - **Read OP for Mod Warnings**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,447 ✭✭✭Ginger n Lemon

Why is it? He is and looks like a weasel. He reminds me of Scrooge sitting behind his desk on Christmas Eve MMM Humbug, mmm Virus humbug mmm Quarantine humbug. Get back on my petri dishes ASAP. And ill trick you into paying for a flight you wont be going on to give a refund to the next fool. We should open up our pubs, restaurants and hotels as soon as possible whilst we have good weather. Why should he be allowed to cram people with no distancing onto his plastic seats, to go and spread the virus to poor countries such as Greece.? But, our pubs etc have to abide by the rules. We can maintain distancing now its warm enough. Don't charge for tables etc on the streets. I believe we should open up our tourist industry safely and do as he does. Perhaps 20 euro a night for hotel. Its not difficult if he does it just need to work out .

Do I have news for you. Ireland is now also poor. Coffers are empty.

Perhaps explains why Greece left Ireland off its allowed country for tourism, we are poor and wouldnt be able to spend much in Greece anyways.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,023 ✭✭✭jojofizzio

JRant wrote: »
    We are at the point now whereby if restrictions aren't lifted sooner the government will have absolutely no control over the situation at all. People are starting to do their own thing because after 2.5 months they've had enough. It would be better to have the government lead the way but one way or another this country is opening yup a hell of a lot quicker than August.

Heard one of the NPHET crew on the radio earlier. They want to get to zero and copy New Zealand. That's the benchmark now folks, zero cases before we can move things forward. They've completely lost the plot at this stage.

They do realise New Zealand is where it is (one active case) because they closed their borders(which are still closed although she is under increasing pressure to open up to Australia)...there has been no desire since the outset here to close our borders,so aiming for NZ levels is quite frankly ridiculous

• Registered Users Posts: 1,240 ✭✭✭Sammy2012

Why is it? He is and looks like a weasel. He reminds me of Scrooge sitting behind his desk on Christmas Eve MMM Humbug, mmm Virus humbug mmm Quarantine humbug. Get back on my petri dishes ASAP. And ill trick you into paying for a flight you wont be going on to give a refund to the next fool. We should open up our pubs, restaurants and hotels as soon as possible whilst we have good weather. Why should he be allowed to cram people with no distancing onto his plastic seats, to go and spread the virus to poor countries such as Greece.? But, our pubs etc have to abide by the rules. We can maintain distancing now its warm enough. Don't charge for tables etc on the streets. I believe we should open up our tourist industry safely and do as he does. Perhaps 20 euro a night for hotel. Its not difficult if he does it just need to work out .

The Irish are not welcome in Greece Betty. They have banned us for the moment. Nobody will be flying until July 1st at least. And even at that alot of people have had their flights cancelled during July. Also I'd say by July things will have changed here too and most things will be open.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

We are at the point now whereby if restrictions aren't lifted sooner the government will have absolutely no control over the situation at all. People are starting to do their own thing because after 2.5 months they've had enough. It would be better to have the government lead the way but one way or another this country is opening yup a hell of a lot quicker than August.

Heard one of the NPHET crew on the radio earlier. They want to get to zero and copy New Zealand. That's the benchmark now folks, zero cases before we can move things forward. They've completely lost the plot at this stage.

The government have total control

I can't go for a pint have a haircut or buy a pair of jeans until they say so

Now you can invade beaches etc but that's it

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭GocRh

DeirdreDee wrote: »
    Do you think they should be tarred too?

Why are you so outraged by my comment?
    I've asked a relevant question, the labour market will be very different in the coming years and perhaps adjustments will be needed.
    The OP did single out a specific nationality but my comment is not about any specific nationality, it's about the relative generous policy that enables language students to work in Ireland.
    We're not afforded that same privilege in NZ, Australia, Canada and America.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,976 ✭✭✭✭titan18

Sammy2012 wrote: »
    The voucher can be redeemed after 1 year for cash if not used. Or you can book a flight the day before the voucher expires for a flight in 11months time so I suppose you have almost 2 years to lose it.

I understand people are annoyed over the whole voucher thing I was myself in the beginning but the money is already spent and 99% of people will probably fly at some point in the not to distant future so they will probably use it. The amount of people saying they will never fly with Ryanair again is unreal. But I'll bet you they will!

Tbf, that still doesn't go around that some people might need the money back urgently to pay for essential stuff as now might be out of work. Holiday is a luxury that some people might not be able to afford anymore this year and Ryanair are just holding on to their money

• Registered Users Posts: 12,978 ✭✭✭✭JRant

The government have total control

I can't go for a pint have a haircut or buy a pair of jeans until they say so

Now you can invade beaches etc but that's it

You can have all those things now. Pubs are delivering fresh pints to the door. Barbers are hairdressers are flat out visiting people and you can order any type of clothing imaginable online.

I stay away from crowded beaches and the busy places at the best of times anyway so this hasn't changed for us. There are magical places all around this country that are almost deserted and that's where we like to head as a small family.

They have total control over schools but this nonsense of them not being able to open up full in September is going to be knocked on the head fairly lively.

"Well, yeah, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man"

• Registered Users Posts: 21,569 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

Each to their own I guess. I think that the minute he went to late late instead of facing journalists questions or in fact questioning from other govt parties after announcing a questionable 2 week lockdown extension, thats when my opinion of him lowered significantly. His late late cameo was poor I found as well.

And no to put oil in fire or anything like that but I think overseeing govt that allows HSE to suspend cancer screening for 12 weeks + (3 months) is as reckless as it gets.

You haven't a clue.

jojofizzio wrote: »
    They do realise New Zealand is where it is (one active case) because they closed their borders(which are still closed although she is under increasing pressure to open up to Australia)...there has been no desire since the outset here to close our borders,so aiming for NZ levels is quite frankly ridiculous

I'd say they have this idea in their head and they won't be for moving on it. Regardless of the fact that New Zealand is one of the most remote countries on the planet and we are part of a common travel area of 500 million people.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭Cork Boy 53

You can have all those things now. Pubs are delivering fresh pints to the door. Barbers are hairdressers are flat out visiting people and you can order any type of clothing imaginable online.

I stay away from crowded beaches and the busy places at the best of times anyway so this hasn't changed for us. There are magical places all around this country that are almost deserted and that's where we like to head as a small family.

They have total control over schools but this nonsense of them not being able to open up full in September is going to be knocked on the head fairly lively.

Where are all these barbers and hairdressers who are flat out visiting people?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭bettyoleary

Sammy2012 wrote: »
    Thanks for the advice Betty but I will not be taking it. We are an open economy and we need people to come here. I'm also not a huge fan of MOL but I will continue to fly with him as without him and his company we wouldn't have been able to travel as cheaply as we do and have done for many years.
    Ok just an idea. Im not saying never go abroad again but for this year we could stay at home and the tourist industry should adjust prices accordingly. Just to give our economy a boost.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 917 ✭✭✭MickeyLeari

jojofizzio wrote: »

NZ is not particularly connected. We are an island in a market of 450 m people. They were able to do what they do because of where they are. And they also had very few cases because they are not connected.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

No I want to sit at a bar and order a pint

I want to sit on a barbers chair and get my haircut

And I want to try on jeans in a shop

None of this new normal bull**** that does not compare

Where are all these barbers and hairdressers who are flat out visiting people?

There's loads of them floating around Dublin anyway.

No I want to sit at a bar and order a pint

I want to sit on a barbers chair and get my haircut

And I want to try on jeans in a shop

None of this new normal bull**** that does not compare

Then we want the same things :)

It's all the more reason to get the country open and back to normal far quicker than August. Otherwise we'll see a black economy that would make the Greeks blush.

• Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭vid36

We were too slow to close borders in February /March for ideological reasons but my cousins up north tell me the Gardai have regular checkpoints along the main border routes.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

Perhaps explains why Greece left Ireland off its allowed country for tourism, we are poor and wouldnt be able to spend much in Greece anyways.

No. Greece left Ireland off the list of countries because they don't believe we have our epidemic under control. The same reason they left the UK off the list.

How rich or poor we are has got absolutely nothing to do with it. You're talking nonsense.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,023 ✭✭✭jojofizzio

NZ is not particularly connected. We are an island in a market of 450 m people. They were able to do what they do because of where they are. And they also had very few cases because they are not connected.

I know....someone needs to let NPHET know...

All of them flouting the current restrictions then if that is true. What health and safety precautions are they taking if any at all?

• Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭bettyoleary

We are very , very, very far from poor believe me. Have you ever visited a third world country or an EDC? I thought you had spent most of your time giving out about the damage we are doing to our SME;s etc and as soon as its suggested we should stay at home and give back this year you have a fit. What is it? Open up pubs open up hairdressers but as soon as I can get my arse on a Ryanair flight I'm off??????:P

• Advertisement

Just like in 1916.

All of them flouting the current restrictions then if that is true. What health and safety precautions are they taking if any at all?

There was a hairdresser on Brendan O’Connor on Saturday talking about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,570 ✭✭✭Ulysses Gaze

giphy.gif

Arghus wrote: »
    No. Greece left Ireland off the list of countries because they don't believe we have our epidemic under control. The same reason they left the UK off the list.

How rich or poor we are has got absolutely nothing to do with it. You're talking nonsense.

The Greeks were listening to Tony and decided on that basis we are off the list for a few years.

The reality is that due to the nursing home debacle our figures are not good. That and the perception of our close ties with the U.K.

We are very , very, very far from poor believe me. Have you ever visited a third world country or an EDC? I thought you had spent most of your time giving out about the damage we are doing to our SME;s etc and as soon as its suggested we should stay at home and give back this year you have a fit. What is it? Open up pubs open up hairdressers but as soon as I can get my arse on a Ryanair flight I'm off??????:P

Which sums up the hypocrisy of many of the open everything up now brigade. Similar to the ones who were criticising the high hotel rates.

• Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭vid36

Lots of European countries are currently operating restricted borders. even if I wanted to , I could not travel to Krakow, Vienna, Dubrovnik, Paris , Athens and many other places today.I could go to the Baltic states but would have to spend 14 days in quarantine there, because Irish case levels are still regarded as too high.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,047 ✭✭✭Clonmel1000

I want flights in the air and the Irish economy up and running. Don’t see any hypocrisy in that at all. Just want choice in how to live and want to get on with my life whilst taking care around covid within reason like I do with so many other things in life. No hypocrisy there.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,447 ✭✭✭Ginger n Lemon

Love how people quickly forgot govt needs to borrow to fund dept of social protection payments to keep going 1 July onwards. Run out of money end of June.

Yeah, we are not poor, we ll just borrow our way out of trouble. Facepalm

• Registered Users Posts: 5,621 ✭✭✭giveitholly

Colm O'Rourke talking a lot of sense on The Sunday Game

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

The Greeks were listening to Tony and decided on that basis we are off the list for a few years.

The reality is that due to the nursing home debacle our figures are not good. That and the perception of our close ties with the U.K.

Well, we've still had more confirmed cases per capita than Italy, The UK and Belgium. All of which have also been left off the list of countries allowed to travel to Greece too. So I can understand why the Greeks thought let's not chance with the Irish either.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement