Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Relaxation of Restrictions, Part IV - **Read OP for Mod Warnings**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭bettyoleary

Sammy2012 wrote: »
    I am staying at home but I more than likely wont be spending money on hotels in Ireland this summer. I will bring my kids on days out once school is finished and things open up again but will stay and support businesses in my locality.
    I know hotels are too expensive but may be this could change just for this year. Its better to keep things going.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,666 ✭✭✭DebDynamite

I’m anti-lockdown at this stage and I’m all for getting the economy going, but I don’t know air travel can even be possible in this country prior to 20th July when the 20k travel restriction is lifted.

Unless someone lives within 20km of the airport, it’s not even permitted for them to travel to the airport, never mind get on a plane for a holiday to Portugal, as it’s not essential travel.

Then you’ll have the bizarre case of tourists coming in here, who can go wherever they want in the country, but the natives can’t!

The very nature of air travel itself doesn’t exactly seem conducive to trying to contain a virus. People flying in from all over, possibly bringing different strains of the virus with them from their part of the world, all the various queuing up in airports, sitting on small locked space in a plane with recirculated air. I know a lot of people get sore throats after they’ve flown, for this very reason alone.

Also, for most tourists travelling here, they’re not doing so to socially distance or to self isolate for 14 days upon arrival - they want to be out and see the sights. Ditto for any Irish people traveling abroad for their holidays - they will be mixing in bars and restaurants, which will more than likely not be observing the social distancing that we are here.

I’d love to fly away myself this year - believe me, but I don’t fancy being in lockdown for 3 months and having my freedom taken away, just so people can come in here for their holidays, or fly off abroad, and undo all the good work we’ve done. Once we contain the virus here, foreign travel is the one thing that can set us back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 904 ✭✭✭Blaze420

I have paid plenty of taxes in my time too much of which went to help pay for educating your generation. So I will take your thanks.

“Condescending asshole” in the dictionary has your picture beside it I’d say yeah?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,242 ✭✭✭Sammy2012

I know hotels are too expensive but may be this could change just for this year. Its better to keep things going.

But it hasnt. If you go online and look at the prices you'll see that. I mean 800e to stay in a hotel in North Wexford for 2 nights in August for a family of 4. That's just mental! I live near it and while it has good facilities it's not worth that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,570 ✭✭✭Ulysses Gaze

I’m anti-lockdown at this stage and I’m all for getting the economy going, but I don’t know air travel can even be possible in this country prior to 20th July when the 20k travel restriction is lifted.

Unless someone lives within 20km of the airport, it’s not even permitted for them to travel to the airport, never mind get on a plane for a holiday to Portugal, as it’s not essential travel.

Then you’ll have the bizarre case of tourists coming in here, who can go wherever they want in the country, but the natives can’t!

The very nature of air travel itself doesn’t exactly seem conducive to trying to contain a virus. People flying in from all over, possibly bringing different strains of the virus with them from their part of the world, all the various queuing up in airports, sitting on small locked space in a plane with recirculated air. I know a lot of people get sore throats after they’ve flown, for this very reason alone.

Also, for most tourists travelling here, they’re not doing so to socially distance or to self isolate for 14 days upon arrival - they want to be out and see the sights. Ditto for any Irish people traveling abroad for their holidays - they will be mixing in bars and restaurants, which will more than likely not be observing the social distancing that we are here.

I’d love to fly away myself this year - believe me, but I don’t fancy being in lockdown for 3 months and having my freedom taken away, just so people can come in here for their holidays, or fly off abroad, and undo all the good work we’ve done. Once we contain the virus here, foreign travel is the one thing that can set us back.

And do you want to be dealing with this type of ****e too?

https://www.thesun.ie/news/5485968/flight-lanzarote-140-passengers-quarantined-arrival-coronavirus/
    A FLIGHT from Madrid to Lanzarote with 140 people on board was quarantined on arrival after a passenger tested positive for the coronavirus while in the air.

Shocked passengers were hurried off the plane and forced into quarantine after landing at Cesar Manrique airport on the Canary Islands yesterday.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,266 ✭✭✭CruelSummer

If you read my post, I just suggested that we should holiday at home for the time being and I also suggested that the tourist industry should adjust their prices accordingly to attract the tourists. This is because I think it will be difficult to go abroad this year and I don't want people to loose their money to MOL. I have no problem with people going abroad. I agree totally that the prices are too high and I think there is a way they can bring them down and still profit and now is the time.

Fair enough. I do love the Irish coast. Will make the best of it but not paying those prices.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,242 ✭✭✭Sammy2012

I agree with you. But others wont. That's why we had made the decision a month ago as a family that we wouldn't be travelling this summer and rebooked for next year.

I also wonder if you happened to get sick on holidays will travel insurance cover you this year?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,666 ✭✭✭DebDynamite

Exactly - it’s just too risky in my eyes. Also, the Belgian prince who tested positive after travelling to Spain for a party.

Air travel is what brought the virus in in the first place, and we shouldn’t be in any hurry to bring travel back

• Registered Users Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭Micky 32

A rain jacket and you're sorted.
    Plenty of things to see and do in Ireland over the summer.

If you think there is "nothing to do", well you're not looking hard enough.

Maybe some people aren’t interested going around a country they live in day out. People like to travel. Personally i like to hop on to the Irish Ferries Ulysses to Wales some weekends and take a nice Sunday drive/walks around the Snowdonia mountains. I also hop on the WB Yeats to take a drive around France once a year and fill the boot with wine on my return

Did I mention i have family in the USA i like to visit? I hop on a plane twice a year for that .;)

No more than on public transport, buses, trains, dart, Lucas etc etc

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,141 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Frankly bud I couldn`t give a flying **** if he used a cutthroat razor on you.

1 week sitaban for this

Exactly, and if the virus dosent die away, which it may or may not there isn't any avoidance of this. I have read reports of Germans pushing their way into Spain and demanding to go to their holiday homes weeks back before the virus had even reached a peak. I cant imagine how Angela Merkel can instruct people to open their borders. Germany has on average around 500 new cases daily and that is those detected. You can treble that. They have outbreaks in meat factories, churches and wherever else they are keeping quiet about. There is no country that is safe to travel to at the moment and countries are opening up for economic reasons only eg Greece. I pray it dosent spread there. People don't seem to realize the likes of MOL don't care about this, But hey these are the same people that queue for hours outside MCDonalds and don't equate that they are they are a big part of the reason we and the rest of the world have big clusters of virus in meat factories, They are complicit in abusing migrant workers and their staff. And slowing up the opening of our economies. People need to look at the bigger picture. We have been given breathing space to sit back and look where mistakes have been made. We don't seem to be taking this space.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,110 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

I don’t believe Holohan can justify and delay in moving to phase 2

• Registered Users Posts: 3,447 ✭✭✭Ginger n Lemon

Gael23 wrote: »
    I don’t believe Holohan can justify and delay in moving to phase 2

With the numbers we get daily now he needs to justify not entering phase 3 on 8th of June. And phase 4.

• Registered Users Posts: 784 ✭✭✭daydorunrun

Just catching up with this thread, think some people have spent too long in the sun!

“You tried your best and you failed miserably. The lesson is, never try.” Homer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,969 ✭✭✭Assetbacked

People cannot be allowed to fly into the country without mandatory quarantining for two weeks if it is the case that we are still required to follow guidance. Even if restrictions are eased and we can start to get back to normal, I don't think anyone will follow measures if they are reintroduced in circumstances where people flying in reignite the infection.

The US and UK are hotbeds for it but are major destinations for flights into the country. If there is a possibility of reintroducing restrictions from a flare up of the virus then the government must ban flights from these countries. If we are assured that lockdown won't be reintroduced only then can flights from other countries be allowed.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,407 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Frankly bud I couldn`t give a flying **** if he used a cutthroat razor on you.

No just a scissors and blade cut. It was great, whole family will be into her the next few weeks too. Just like the Gardai whos hair she cut last week.

Just a word for anyone desperate for a cut- if you have a regular barber or hairdresser and they’re on social media drop them a line or text. Many will be more than happy to sort you out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 917 ✭✭✭MickeyLeari

Exactly, and if the virus dosent die away, which it may or may not there isn't any avoidance of this. I have read reports of Germans pushing their way into Spain and demanding to go to their holiday homes weeks back before the virus had even reached a peak. I cant imagine how Angela Merkel can instruct people to open their borders. Germany has on average around 500 new cases daily and that is those detected. You can treble that. They have outbreaks in meat factories, churches and wherever else they are keeping quiet about. There is no country that is safe to travel to at the moment and countries are opening up for economic reasons only eg Greece. I pray it dosent spread there. People don't seem to realize the likes of MOL don't care about this, But hey these are the same people that queue for hours outside MCDonalds and don't equate that they are they are a big part of the reason we and the rest of the world have big clusters of virus in meat factories, They are complicit in abusing migrant workers and their staff. And slowing up the opening of our economies. People need to look at the bigger picture. We have been given breathing space to sit back and look where mistakes have been made. We don't seem to be taking this space.

Is there any evidence of a cover up on cases in Germany?

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭greensheep777

It still shut our economy down and has made many people unemployed. And if it continues to spread it will do so again, no question.

The virus didn't shut anything down, the government did.
    have read reports of Germans pushing their way into Spain and demanding to go to their holiday homes weeks back before the virus had even reached a peak. I cant imagine how Angela Merkel can instruct people to open their borders.

Germany and Spain don't share a border.
    Germany has on average around 500 new cases daily and that is those detected. You can treble that.

I can't believe I have to explain this - but are you aware that Germany has 83 million people? Is it a big shock to you that a country of 83 million has more cases than a country of 5 million?

Ireland has 5,000 cases per 1 million people.
    Germany has 2100.

And why should Germany's numbers be trebled but not Ireland's? Did you have these same problems with the Germans when they were handling the Irish lab work because Ireland's backlogs were so bad?
    They have outbreaks in meat factories, churches and wherever else they are keeping quiet about.

It's been all over the German news? What are you on about?

https://www.google.com/search?sxsrf=ALeKk00-EDhI3QlPIgR0THvGUcVq5X_Yzw%3A1590962027910&source=hp&ei=ayfUXrTzNM32kwXUwKOYAw&q=Coronavirus+Fleischfabrik&oq=Coronavirus+Fleischfabrik&gs_lcp=CgZwc3ktYWIQAzICCAAyBggAEBYQHjIGCAAQFhAeUPcDWPcDYMMGaABwAHgAgAGFAYgBhQGSAQMwLjGYAQCgAQKgAQGqAQdnd3Mtd2l6&sclient=psy-ab&ved=0ahUKEwj01Ja0i9_pAhVN-6QKHVTgCDMQ4dUDCAk&uact=5

https://www.google.com/search?sxsrf=ALeKk01lr6LhB9hmmtCARVIAf6kx9sRL0g:1590962127605&q=Coronavirus+Ausbruch+Kirche&spell=1&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwjx1t3ji9_pAhWsM-wKHXvTAdQQBSgAegQIDBAq&biw=1440&bih=766
    There is no country that is safe to travel to at the moment and countries are opening up for economic reasons only eg Greece. I pray it dosent spread there.

Ah, prayers. That'll help!
    We have been given breathing space to sit back and look where mistakes have been made. We don't seem to be taking this space.

Given breathing space by who? The economy waits for no one. Don't worry, you'll have plenty of space to sit back when you're unemployed for months and your €350 is a distant memory. Enjoy Budget 2020, your crowd have earned it.

Juwwi wrote: »
    As a 22 year old surely there's more healthier things to be doing than sitting on boards 12 hours a day everyday , you've said it yourself plenty of times the lockdown is over ,people are getting back to normal ,it's great to see ,get more vitamin D into yourself you'll end up a nervous wreck in a few years time the way you are worrying about businesses ,MO'L ect ,, your health is your wealth ,,

If he wants to post 24/7 here what has it got to do with you?

• Advertisement

Is there any evidence of a cover up on cases in Germany?
    Just an educated guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,110 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

When can we expect an announcement? Friday afternoon?

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭greensheep777

Just an educated guess.

More like you want to keep getting your €350 a week so you're demonising all dem foridners who went back to work instead of clutching their rosary beads.

Just an educated guess.

So that’s a no then. But it fits with the scare mongering about second waves so who cares about actual evidence eh?
    Reckless Germans on a cover up job yet again.

We now have Mr McConkey sticking the boot in now. “ The time to open up the country for internal travel completely is certainly not now”

More like you want to keep getting your €350 a week so you're demonising all dem foridners who went back to work instead of clutching their rosary beads.
    I don't get 350 a week but for all those that do I'm sorry its not more.

road_high wrote: »
    So that’s a no then. But it fits with the scare mongering about second waves so who cares about actual evidence eh?
    Reckless Germans on a cover up job yet again.
    I'm not scare mongering about anythink. You or I don't know how this virus will play out, Am I right??? I think so. Germany is at the early stages of Pandemic I'm afraid and you cant change that by sniping at me.

Micky 32 wrote: »
    We now have Mr McConkey sticking in the boot now. “ The time to open up the country for internal travel completely is certainly not now”

Keep the money roadshow going for another blast- once it ends him and his cronies are out of a handy few bob “advising” and doing zilch tangible in the way of preventing the virus spreading.

I'm not scare mongering about anythink. You or I don't know how this virus will play out, Am I right??? I think so. Germany is at the early stages of Pandemic I'm afraid and you cant change that by sniping at me.

But you have no evidence of your quite explosive claim which makes your assertion null and void. That’s not sniping, it’s just pointing out you’ve no evidence to support it.

• Advertisement

Micky 32 wrote: »
    Maybe some people aren’t interested going around a country they live in day out. People like to travel. Personally i like to hop on to the Irish Ferries Ulysses to Wales some weekends and take a nice Sunday drive/walks around the Snowdonia mountains. I also hop on the WB Yeats to take a drive around France once a year and fill the boot with wine on my return

Did I mention i have family in the USA i like to visit? I hop on a plane twice a year for that .;)
    That is living life and makes me smile thinking of it. I was just pointing out that just now for a short time we could spend some money here. I love travelling and will be the first on a plane when its safe.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement