Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Relaxation of Restrictions, Part IV - **Read OP for Mod Warnings**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,852 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

I'm sorry that you're upset that some of us have the education, skills and get-up-and-go to go somewhere else. I also didn't realise that I'm not allowed to have an opinion on my own home country! Lord bless us and save us! How many Our Fathers should I say?

Expat? No, I'm an immigrant. It's not a dirty word. Don't worry, you'll be begging for my German taxes when Ireland runs out of money. It won't be long, and it won't be the first time. But it's good to see the good old fashioned Irish begrudgery coming out. You're miserable, so everyone else should be too.

I'm very sorry that I had valid reasons for leaving, along with the thousands of other Irish people before me. Also, it's "she". I know it might be difficult to understand, but women are able to use computers as well.

What's it like going from probably the worst run country in Europe to the best ? I hear they even have good public transport there. Bottle and can return schemes. No boil water notices in 2020... rules are upheld, antisocial scum not bent over backwards tir like here ... no endless welfare and excuses. Congratulations on the move. I agree with your sentiment. We shouldn't be bailed out again, because the morons here thought shutting everything down for months on end and paying all recently unemployed e350 as a blanket payment, was some genius idea! Banana republic!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 138 ✭✭Sheep_shear

Aaaaaaand reality hits

Yup. This all needs to be paid for. Expect more measures. I mean we can't just have people staying at home, being paid by the government indefinitely

road_high wrote: »
    Visited one the other day. And they are flat out. And it was fantastic thanks, really super service and much appreciated. Hope they are cleaning up with nixers and claiming the Covid payment- the government created this farcical rubbish so I couldn’t really two fcuks about doopy Donohoe and the mess he’s helped walk the country’s finances into.
    People like you are in la la land- the works is going on around you, people are living lives again despite the nonsensical stuff. Only a small matter of time until it’s officially brushed aside. You’ll have to find new juices to stew in I guess

I agree . I hope the surging black market economy for the likes of this stays. Like you said, we have morons making decisions. It comes at a big cost! Those fg morons claiming they are safe pair if hands with the economy is comedic. They are ultra weak and populist government

• Registered Users Posts: 1,242 ✭✭✭Sammy2012

Idbatterim wrote: »
    I agree . I hope the surging black market economy for the likes of this stays. Like you said, we have morons making decisions. It comes at a big cost! Those fg morons claiming they are safe pair if hands with the economy is comedic. They are ultra weak and populist government

Why would you hope that? It's unfair on businesses who are following the rules. I'd hate to see them close as a result of the black market economy. I look forward to the day my own hairdressers reopens and I'll go to support them. Wonder are those business operating on the black market declaring their income???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 917 ✭✭✭MickeyLeari

Micky 32 wrote: »
    Yeah it seems your opinion doesn’t matter if you’re 22.

Indeed. Job prospects are reduced, will face the repayment of debts and getting a mortgage will be more difficult. On the plus side, learn German or study a transferable skill and get out of dodge while you can before you are saddled with a mortgage in negative equity.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 917 ✭✭✭MickeyLeari

Sammy2012 wrote: »
    Why would you hope that? It's unfair on businesses who are following the rules. I'd hate to see them close as a result of the black market economy. I look forward to the day my own hairdressers reopens and I'll go to support them. Wonder are those business operating on the black market declaring their income???

Agree but we do not want to let the shadow economy become embedded in this period.

Funnily enough there is nothing to stop someone declaring their income from a non regulated activity.

My brother was taking back on two staff members and thanking tyeknfir coming back to work. Earning around e390 after tax , plus worki related expenses v e350 and sitting out in the sun all week. Lol !

I'd actually give less Blame for the 2008 catastrophe, than the current morons who have actually engineered the perfect storm. Shut everything down, reopen at glacial rate. E350 welfare payments, regardless of what you earned before and they are even paying it out Tom illegal immigrants! You couldnt dream this **** up, yet you dont have to dream it up. Its ireland!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,447 ✭✭✭Ginger n Lemon

Yup. This all needs to be paid for. Expect more measures. I mean we can't just have people staying at home, being paid by the government indefinitely

It just doesnt have to be that way at all. They are back to school in UK making us officially the last country in Europe to send our children to schools?

"Coronavirus latest news: Happy Monday as children go back to school, shoppers besiege Ikea and sport returns

After months of lockdown, Britain has experienced its first taste of freedom today - schools have welcomed more children, social-distancing rules have been relaxed and some shops have reopened.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/global-health/science-and-disease/coronavirus-news-schools-open-uk-lockdown-boris-johnson/

We allow these people into our country without any quarantine form filling or requirements. They can fly in today. They can cross the NI border today.

Why are we doing this madness of "as low as possible" in light of this?

Because its better off in the small mans pocket than the government morons wasting it all on ****e . I think there has been a 13 billion pet year increase in spending over the last few years. 13 billion per year. Services and infrastructure are still appalling.

The government are creating a serious mess of their own making and they'll pay the price shortly, believe me. We all will. Where this 350 going in the local economy? To the two hour long q in McDonalds? To buy ****e imported from China online ? They've shut the local economy for the most part. Its the problem with electing teachers and total spoofers to the dail

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭greensheep777

What's it like going from probably the worst run country in Europe to the best ? I hear they even have good public transport there. Bottle and can return schemes. No boil water notices in 2020... rules are upheld, antisocial scum not bent over backwards tir like here ... no endless welfare and excuses.

Yeah, it's very different.
    The public transport is amazing. It still wows me how quickly I can get across the city, day or night. No huge backlogs of rush hour traffic because there are less cars. I don't think I've ever seen a traffic jam, and I live in a city - unless of course there'd been an accident or something.

So much more freedom. Many clubs and bars open all night (obviously not right now, but normally). Go home whenever you want and you can get there safely - no mad rush for taxis. Can buy drink whenever you like and drink it on the street. Nice to get a bottle of beer for the tram ride or walk to the bar or wherever we're going.

The healthcare is better as well. Approx 29 ICU beds per 100k people (I think) versus Ireland's 6/7.
    The mindset is much more positive. They don't just sit back and say "ah sure it'll be grand" or assume everything is someone else's problem, they fix it. It's also a much more European mindset. Germany wants to be up there setting the standards. Ireland is more "yeah that's what *other* countries are doing, but we're Ireland, that's not for us". Ireland compares itself too much to the UK, it's a race to the bottom.

The Catholic guilt overhang isn't there, at least where I live. Much more secular. Better attitude to women. The men aren't as entitled.

Yeah, they're also big on recycling, special schemes for bottles both glass and plastic.

• Advertisement

Because its better off in the small mans pocket than the government morons wasting it all on ****e . I think there has been a 13 billion pet year increase in spending over the last few years. 13 billion per year. Services and infrastructure are still appalling.

I'm not saying services arent appalling. I work in the public service and have family working in other departments and the wastage is unreal. I'm not disputing that but why should some businesses benefit while others wait. It's just profiting off the backs of others. I'm sure the vast majority of people would love to be back at work.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,857 ✭✭✭growleaves

People who say it is important to listen to the experts may be interested to know that health experts in Denmark counselled against lockdown and the Danish government decided to ignore them.

Leaked mails reveal battle over Denmark's lockdown
    In an in-depth article, the Politiken newspaper detailed how the government's emergency law on March 12 had stripped powers from the Danish Health Authority, changing it from an "regulatory authority" to an "advisory" one.

This allowed the government to ignore the authority's opinion that Covid-19 was not a sufficiently dangerous disease to permit the government to impose compulsory interventions on the public under Denmark's epidemic law.

As late as March 15, the Danish health Authority, argued there was insufficient ground for banning public events and gatherings of ten people under the law.

"The Danish Health Authority continues to consider that covid-19 cannot be described as a generally dangerous disease, as it does not have either a usually serious course or a high mortality rate," it wrote.

Oh I know, believe me. My dads german, I visit it the odd time. Youve hit the nail on the head with everything you've said. You cant even get a metro here to a large international airport in 2020. I'd live to know what my marginal tax rate of fifty percent here actually gets me. Other than being ruled out if all the freebies which im paying for so that others can leech the system dry, fully supported by all our elected representatives .

Glad to see the wreckless plan with the pensions is off the cards for now

• Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭crossman47

And you're in the right country for someone who hates to see others doing well and wants to sit on their arse taking handouts for as long as possible.

Bet you weren't slagging off the Germans when they were paying for your dole 10 years ago.

Germany didn't pay for any Irish persons dole.

What's it like going from probably the worst run country in Europe to the best ?

The country that has been building a new airport in Berlin for decades thats gone way over budget and still hasn't opened!

Covid-19: the ethics of clinical research in quarantine
    To be ethically justified, quarantine must be at minimum necessary and effective, a proportionate response to the risk of disease, and the least infringing measure available.8 Historically, quarantine can exacerbate an outbreak if implemented poorly as people who would not otherwise contract the disease are exposed repeatedly to those carrying a virus or by encouraging recidivism or reluctance to report symptoms to public health authorities.3 It might also be replaced or supplemented with less invasive measures, such the Republic of Korea’s approach to covid-19 using testing, contact tracing, and case isolation.9

I'm not saying services arent appalling. I work in the public service and have family working in other departments and the wastage is unreal. I'm not disputing that but why should some businesses benefit while others wait. It's just profiting off the backs of others. I'm sure the vast majority of people would love to be back at work.

Because the geniuses in the dail seem to think that the virus will stop at the door of all the business they are going to permit to reopen on different dates.

You just need to do here, what serves your best interest if you run a business. I would ask varadkar to open my business related post. Too many here blindly following a bunch of spineless morons and it's your life...

crossman47 wrote: »
    The country that has been building a new airport in Berlin for decades thats gone way over budget and still hasn't opened!

That is a disgrace, but it's one total outlier. Otherwise the two countries are near as polar opposite as it gets

• Registered Users Posts: 2,666 ✭✭✭DebDynamite

Who cares if they’re not declaring it? It’s not like they doing anyone else out of business - nowhere else is open! They’re providing a valuable service. Prisioners are even allowed haircuts! Plus, the more barbers/hairdressers who are opening now on the QT, the less demand there’ll be when they officially open and we’ll all get a haircut sooner

Its the problem with electing teachers and total spoofers to the dail

I take slight offense to this as I am a teacher but I also have an accountancy degree! And common sense. How they just gave out the payment without any kind of checking is just beyond me. I know students can claim it even though they were in full time college up to a couple of weeks ago!!!!

• Advertisement

The barbers is funny one. But many now probably bought hair cutting stuff and will continue doing it themselves or getting a family member to do it or just continue going cash in hand

Coronavirus: Norway wonders if it should have been more like Sweden
    Cost of lockdown sees prime minister raise questions about strategy
    On Wednesday night, Norway's prime minister Erna Solberg went on Norwegian television to make a startling admission: she had panicked. Some, even most, of the tough measures imposed in Norway's lockdown now looked like steps too far. "Was it necessary to close schools?" she mused. "Perhaps not."

It was a preemptive step only a leader with Solberg's folksy, down-to-earth style could get away with. "I probably took many of the decisions out of fear," she admitted, reminding viewers of the terrifying images then flooding their screens from Italy.

The clear picture coming out of Denmark and Norway is not triumphalism at having suffered less deaths than Sweden, but rather that the lockdowns there were more contentious than was supposed and may be viewed as a mistake in retrospect.

I take slight offense to this as I am a teacher but I also have an accountancy degree! And common sense. How they just gave out the payment without any kind of checking is just beyond me. I know students can claim it even though they were in full time college up to a couple of weeks ago!!!!

Sorry for any offence caused. The level of what runs for the daily just annoys the fcuk out if me. All with the same message etc. Its like several different vanilla flavours. The result is the country we have. In other countries you have a somewhat diverse background running for office. We dont here, and it's a big problem

• Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭Jim Root

I’ve booked a week in a holiday home for August. Feels good to start planning life again.

That is a disgrace, but it's one total outlier. Otherwise the two countries are near as polar opposite as it gets

I agree to some extent but its far from down to government. Irish people still have a post colonial attitude to laws. They're for other people but I'm an exception. Think pub closing time, speed limits etc or the annual whinge about school buses "Yes, I'm outside the limit for one but sure it passes my door so my Johnny could get it".

Having said that, I recall a teacher who brought a group of kids to Germany telling me that he expressed envy to a colleague at the way all the German kids instantly obeyed orders. The other man thought of history and said "Maybe not such a good thing".

Sorry for any offence caused. The level of what runs for the daily just annoys the fcuk out if me. All with the same message etc. Its like several different vanilla flavours. The result is the country we have. In other countries you have a somewhat diverse background running for office. We dont here, and it's a big problem

Ah no offense taken really! There is alot in this country that annoys me too but as someone wiser than me once said "if you keep doing the same thing you cant expect a different result".

• Registered Users Posts: 2,666 ✭✭✭DebDynamite

You cant even get a metro here to a large international airport in 2020.

Don’t count on ever seeing it in the next 20/30 years either. Calls on the Metro now to be scrapped because of this economic fiasco. Absolute lunacy what we’re doing to the country

Don’t count on ever seeing it in the next 20/30 years either. Calls on the Metro now to be scrapped because of this economic fiasco. Absolute lunacy what we’re doing to the country

Its already been put on the back burner from what I've heard.

How's the Dublin metro going?

• Advertisement

Germany didn't pay for any Irish persons dole.

Ah no, sure it was the other way round ;)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement