Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Relaxation of Restrictions, Part IV - **Read OP for Mod Warnings**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,447 ✭✭✭Ginger n Lemon

How's the Dublin metro going?

Comparing Ireland to Germany is like comparing Sunderland to Real Madrid.

or Bohemians to Bayern Munich.

And official version (apart from the one that claimed it would cost way too much) was that they didnt want to shut down green line tram service for 6 months in a certain area in south of Dublin so were pressurised into deciding not to proceed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭crossman47

Ah no, sure it was the other way round ;)

No, it wasn't the other way round either. When we had a recession, we got loans that had to be paid back. Germany was among the countries that didn't allow us to burn some of the bondholders. We were badly treated by the ECB who do what Germany tells them. The ECB had run an interest rate policy that was suitable for Germany but not for Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,572 ✭✭✭Penfailed

It just doesnt have to be that way at all. They are back to school in UK making us officially the last country in Europe to send our children to schools?

That's simply not true. Schools are still closed in Spain and Italy. Many countries have only opened primary schools. Others are only opening secondary schools. In yet other countries, parents are keeping their kids away from school even though they are open. We are not outliers on this by any means.

Gigs '24 - Ben Ottewell and Ian Ball (Gomez), The Jesus & Mary Chain, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Pearl Jam, Green Day, Stendhal Festival, Forest Fest, Electric Picnic, Ride, PJ Harvey, Pixies, Public Service Broadcasting, Therapy?, IDLES(x2)

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭greensheep777

crossman47 wrote: »
    The ECB had run an interest rate policy that was suitable for Germany but not for Ireland.

Ah nothing is suitable for Ireland, Ireland is special!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,407 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Penfailed wrote: »
    That's simply not true. Schools are still closed in Spain and Italy. Many countries are only opened primary schools. Others are only opening secondary schools. In yet other countries, parents are keeping their kids away from school even though they are open. We are not outliers on this by any means.

Well seen as we’ve zero schools open compared to the above, yes, we are outliers and very much so.
    As we are with everything else because we don’t have a proper accountable government

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,379 ✭✭✭FintanMcluskey

Penfailed wrote: »
    Suddenly things begin to make sense.

Ignorant post to be honest.

Ivan Yates was an elected TD at 21.

Lots of younger minds talk more sense than bitter resentful older ones

I wasn't casting aspersions.

Gigs '24 - Ben Ottewell and Ian Ball (Gomez), The Jesus & Mary Chain, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Pearl Jam, Green Day, Stendhal Festival, Forest Fest, Electric Picnic, Ride, PJ Harvey, Pixies, Public Service Broadcasting, Therapy?, IDLES(x2)

road_high wrote: »
    Well seen as we’ve zero schools open compared to the above, yes, we are outliers and very much so.
    As we are with everything else because we don’t have a proper accountable government

Did you miss the bit where I pointed out that schools are still closed in Spain and Italy? It was in response to G and L claiming that we are officially the last country to open schools. It's not true. Fake news. Lies. Call it what you want.

• Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭SSr0

Ah nothing is suitable for Ireland, Ireland is special!

I love hearing Irish expats piss all over Ireland on Boards.

Micky 32 wrote: »
    Yeah it seems your opinion doesn’t matter if you’re 22.

Did I say otherwise?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,892 ✭✭✭the kelt

I swear it’s actually scary how much the old catholic Ireland ethos still has a stranglehold with so many many people and it seems lockdown which by nature is draconian, simplifying people lives by means of rules and regulations has given them new life.

The validity of an opinion relevant to age.
    Don’t dare question someone in authority.
    If you dare question or disobey you are someone who should be shunned from society.
    Ordinary people spying on neighbours and friends waiting for the opportunity to condemn them.

Like little pups waiting patiently for someone to give them a pat on the head telling them they’re good boys whilst tut tutting at others who aren’t conforming to the fullest.

And the ironic thing is those who are happiest with the restrictions as they are on here tend to be the most aggressive posters on here over the course of the threads, last night we saw one of them happy to see a cutthroat taken to another posters throat and ask the poor lady in the last thread who admitted to struggling mentally with her kid tonight this, she got rounded on and accused of being everything from a bad mother to an attention seeker.

Suffer anything Covid Related medically and receive all the empathy in the world but don’t dare suffer from anything else, that doesn’t matter, as I saw the other day on Facebook “your cancer screening can wait, we have a pandemic to deal with so don’t be so selfish”

SSr0 wrote: »
    I love hearing Irish expats piss all over Ireland on Boards.

"Expats"? What are you, some 60 year old English person living in Spain complaining about foreigners?

Also, I didn't realise that I lose an opinion on Ireland once I leave the place. Should my citizenship be revoked too?

Very Irish attitude you have. Shoot the messenger, put your finger in your ears and sing "La la la". Go get a passport and get out and see the world. You might learn something.

the kelt wrote: »
    I swear it’s actually scary how much the old catholic Ireland ethos still has a stranglehold with so many many people and it seems lockdown which by nature is draconian, simplifying people lives by means of rules and regulations has given them new life.

The validity of an opinion relevant to age.
    Don’t dare question someone in authority.
    If you dare question or disobey you are someone who should be shunned from society.
    Ordinary people spying on neighbours and friends waiting for the opportunity to condemn them.

Like little pups waiting patiently for someone to give them a pat on the head telling them they’re good boys whilst tut tutting at others who aren’t conforming to the fullest.

Don't forget - turning on anyone who had the audacity to leave the country and might have had reasons for why.

We might be in the EU, but apparently you're not allowed to use your freedom of movement and go out there and make something of yourself. That'd be notions! Get back to Ireland and be miserable, who do you think you are!

Crabs in a bucket.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,857 ✭✭✭growleaves

And the ironic thing is those who are happiest with the restrictions as they are on here tend to be the most aggressive posters on here over the course of the threads, last night we saw one of them happy to see a cutthroat taken to another posters throat and ask the poor lady in the last thread who admitted to struggling mentally with her kid tonight this, she got rounded on and accused of being everything from a bad mother to an attention seeker.

Then every once in a while someone will come along and ask why this thread is such an echo chamber.

Maybe if pro-restrictions posters would stop getting themselves banned due to their emotional incontinence it would be less of an echo chamber!

• Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭SSr0

"Expats"? What are you, some 60 year old English person living in Spain complaining about foreigners?

Also, I didn't realise that I lose an opinion on Ireland once I leave the place. Should my citizenship be revoked too?

Very Irish attitude you have. Shoot the messenger, put your finger in your ears and sing "La la la". Go get a passport and get out and see the world. You might learn something.

Indeed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 904 ✭✭✭Blaze420

Anyone know if Leo has a speech planned this week? Time to show some balls and some leadership

• Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

Sammy2012 wrote: »
    I take slight offense to this as I am a teacher but I also have an accountancy degree! And common sense. How they just gave out the payment without any kind of checking is just beyond me. I know students can claim it even though they were in full time college up to a couple of weeks ago!!!!
    There was no time, you can't introduce a system of checks in the space of a few weeks. There would have been war if the government have said "give us time to put checks in place, and in a few weeks you'll get your unemployment benefit." - I can only imagine the outrage from the likes of SF and PBP.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,460 ✭✭✭FishOnABike

road_high wrote: »
    Our secondary schools and third level institutions would be closed at this time of year anyway so we're really only talking about primary schools which would be closed for the Summer in a few weeks anyway.

We were a few weeks behind other countries in CoViD-19 reaching us so we'd expect to be a few weeks behind them reopening things. By which time our primary schools would be closed for Summer holidays anyway.

Nothing to see here. Move along.

Our secondary schools and third level institutions would be closed at this time of year anyway so we're really only talking about primary schools which would be closed for the Summer in a few weeks anyway.

We were a few weeks behind other countries in CoViD-19 reaching us so we'd expect to be a few weeks behind them reopening things. By which time our primary schools would be closed for Summer holidays anyway.

After being closed for three months already. You may think that loss of learning time is “nothing to see“, I don’t. Our school year is short enough without a major chunk of it gone. Just think of even 5th years, you want to go into LC with the majority of the curriculum covered. Not rushing into it next September.

• Registered Users Posts: 884 ✭✭✭seamusk84

Blaze420 wrote: »
    Anyone know if Leo has a speech planned this week? Time to show some balls and some leadership

Yup Friday between 6 and 9 is what I have heard.
    He has to officially announce phase 2 and also let us know if anything else is being brought forward.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭fleet_admiral

Do you have children?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,455 ✭✭✭TheCitizen

hmmm wrote: »
    There was no time, you can't introduce a system of checks in the space of a few weeks. There would have been war if the government have said "give us time to put checks in place, and in a few weeks you'll get your unemployment benefit." - I can only imagine the outrage from the likes of SF and PBP.
    So they did it immediately because of fear of criticism from SF or PBP? I don't think so.

It's as if you're trying to shoe horn a dig at SF or PBP for the sake of it, you wouldn't be trying to do that now would you hmmm.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 904 ✭✭✭Blaze420

seamusk84 wrote: »
    Yup Friday between 6 and 9 is what I have heard.
    He has to officially announce phase 2 and also let us know if anything else is being brought forward.

All remaining phases accelerated to a week maximum between each or he can **** off, dragging things to August isn’t a runner any longer.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

Jayesdiem wrote: »
    You know, you’re right. That’s why, adopting your and his logic, I’ve decided to trade in my vehicle and walk everywhere from now on. That way I’ll never get myself into a car accident: safe and logical. I mentioned a few posts back an analogy of not wanting a certain type of individual alongside you if you were in trench warfare. You (and that Cork boy 53 guy) were the two I had in mind when I wrote it.

You seem to be arguing that no-one should ever make any attempts to take safety precautions under any circumstances.

Using your car analogy:

You don't have to trade in your vehicle. But you could minimise your risk by doing sensible things that everyone knows to be smart.

Like you can follow the rules of the road, you can practice safe driving, you can wear a seat-belt, you can drive at safe speeds.

You see it's all about minimising risk where you can, not about eliminating risk entirely. It's the same when it comes to putting measures in place to curb the spread of the disease.

Lol, mate, I'm crushed that I won't be beside you dying for illogical arguments in your imaginary trench warfare.

• Registered Users Posts: 713 ✭✭✭gral6

Tony will say it for him

• Registered Users Posts: 908 ✭✭✭Jayesdiem

Jim Root wrote: »
    I’ve booked a week in a holiday home for August. Feels good to start planning life again.

Fine but please promise me you will not leave that house for ANY reason whatsoever Jim. There is only one way to ensure you don’t catch this virus and who knows how bad things will be in August!

All remaining phases accelerated to a week maximum between each or he can **** off, dragging things to August isn’t a runner any longer.

I want them to end tomorrow but this would be a major departure in policy to date. He’s doesn’t have the balls to cut and run from the nanny staters. I’d love to be proven wrong but I think it’ll be more of the sticking to the plan rubbish we’ve been force fed for 3 months surrounded by the usual fluffy words

• Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

TheCitizen wrote: »
    So they did it immediately because of fear of criticism from SF or PBP? I don't think so.
    What would the response have been from SF and PBP if there was not an immediate introduction? Do you think it would have been - "Well done for introducing checks and balances before making any payments, let's wait a few months and see how the situation evolves."?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭fleet_admiral

He has to do something because phase 2 is only phase 1 with bells on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,636 ✭✭✭Nermal

Arghus wrote: »
    You see it's all about minimising risk where you can, not about eliminating risk entirely. It's the same when it comes to putting measures in place to curb the spread of the disease.

It's not about minimising risk where you can.

It's minimising risk where it's economically justifiable to do so.

The distinction is crucial.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement