Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Relaxation of Restrictions, Part IV - **Read OP for Mod Warnings**

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 904 ✭✭✭Blaze420

Idbatterim wrote: »
    I hope if the IMF come in this time, they stick around for Good. Let's see where they make the cuts and tax increases. Not decided by rte...

That would be a dream come true - never worked a day in your life? Why are you getting 206 a week from a pot you never contributed to? Have a family home or hidden husband but pretending to be homeless and waiting on the list - go **** yourself, sleep on a couch somewhere until you learn about money and what it takes to earn it.

• Registered Users Posts: 879 ✭✭✭risteard7

Blaze420 wrote: »
    That would be a dream come true - never worked a day in your life? Why are you getting 206 a week from a pot you never contributed to? Have a family home or hidden husband but pretending to be homeless and waiting on the list - go **** yourself, sleep on a couch somewhere until you learn about money and what it takes to earn it.

The biggest threat to the Economy now is the government & Nphet not the Coronavirus

• Registered Users Posts: 12,851 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

risteard7 wrote: »
    It's really not worth it, I went to Starbucks earlier. I was hoarded in & out like some diseased creature. No toilet facilities, you cant do your own milk & sugar & takeaway only which is fair enough but if you cant actually use the facilities to sit in or use the toilet it should be cheaper for the coffee.

Then I went to Harvey Norman. Two security men on the door who all of a sudden have become self important wondering what I was looking to buy and they let me in. Then a store assistant followed me around showing me the products. If I was left alone & to use my own intelligence to social distance & Sanitise I might have actually bought something. I was more likely to crash the car on the way home than contract covid.

Starbucks coffee was always the same price take away or not. Not sure why u expect different now.
    They definitely dont rush you out in the one in Lucan.

Can you not go to.the toilet before you head to Starbucks?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,636 ✭✭✭Doctor Jimbob

Idbatterim wrote: »
    If they thought people were just going to lock themselves in doors, particularly the young. For months. In this weather. Just because they are too lazy or cautious to bri g forward business reopening, then lol. The 350 payment, I'd say its being blown nearly exclusively on fast food and alcohol by many. Let them do what they like with it. The morons in power gave it all to them ..." spend it in the local economy " you have shut down the local economy you gob****es!

They're not asking people to lock themselves in at the moment. Plenty of businesses are coming up with ways to stay open in line with the guidelines.

I get that people are frustrated but our "lockdown" is nowhere near as severe as some on here are implying.

• Registered Users Posts: 879 ✭✭✭risteard7

Starbucks coffee was always the same price take away or not. Not sure why u expect different now.
    They definitely dont rush you out in the one in Lucan.

Can you not go to.the toilet before you head to Starbucks?

It was always the same price but you had a Choice included in that price of where you wanted to drink it. I wasn't in Lucan. My bladder doesn't give me a timeline of when I need the toilet. Anymore questions??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,851 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

risteard7 wrote: »
    It was always the same price but you had a Choice included in that price of where you wanted to drink it. I wasn't in Lucan. My bladder doesn't give me a timeline of when I need the toilet. Anymore questions??

Still dont get why u expect it to be cheaper, nothing has changed on the take away.
    Seats were just a nice extra, maybe they will charge for that soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 520 ✭✭✭lukas8888

Arghus wrote: »
    I'm outside right now as a matter of fact. I reckon I spend more time outside than yourself to be honest.

So, basically what you're saying is the virus is unlikely to seriously effect you - so fck trying to take measures to protect against the spread of it?

I was a bookmaker in a former life and i would bet high odds that your telling us a fib.Maybe a quick look outside to check the strength of sun,and then a dash for cover, Danger.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,290 ✭✭✭MarinersBlues

lukas8888 wrote: »
    I was a bookmaker in a former life and i would bet high odds that your telling us a fib.Maybe a quick look outside to check the strength of sun,and then a dash for cover, Danger.

1/10 you are bull****ting

1/10 you are bull****ting

In the real world if you keep offering tens on,you must definitely would not last very long bookmaking.

• Registered Users Posts: 908 ✭✭✭Jayesdiem

I'm outside right now as a matter of fact. I reckon I spend more time outside than yourself to be honest.

So, basically what you're saying is the virus is unlikely to seriously effect you - so fck trying to take measures to protect against the spread of it?

I’m pretty sure I had it and guess what....I’m not exactly typing this from beyond the grave. Not a fact of mine but apparently more children died in the UK last year whilst putting their trousers on than have died from coronavirus. If the risk was high, I’d take precautions. The numbers tell us there is next to no risk so I won’t be tip toeing around the virus like you are.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

Yeah, sure, good man.

Well judging by below its all well underway (and we are still 2 months and 10 days away from coming into phase 5)

"Cork party-goers in student area giving ‘two fingers’ to locals

Young people who staged “Magaluf or J1-style house parties” in rented homes in Cork’s university precinct over the weekend have been accused of “giving two fingers to the community” and of putting people at risk of contracting Covid-19.

They said some of those involved admitted they had lost part-time jobs, and were using their €350 Covid-19 payments to move into student accommodation near University College Cork for the summer because their foreign travel or holiday plans had been cancelled."

https://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/ireland/cork-party-goers-in-student-area-giving-two-fingers-to-locals-1002716.html

Whether they are minority or majority, they will spread covid and these house parties happen all over the country every day of the week. So our tactic of "cases as low as possible" simply is not working. In fact "keeping youth at home" is backfiring badly.

Typically I can’t stand this type of behaviour but given the circumstances I say more power to these louts for trying to retain some normality and may they continue to brighten up this dark summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

Jayesdiem wrote: »
    I’m pretty sure I had it and guess what....I’m not exactly typing this from beyond the grave. Not a fact of mine but apparently more children died in the UK last year whilst putting their trousers on than have died from coronavirus. If the risk was high, I’d take precautions. The numbers tell us there is next to no risk so I won’t be tip toeing around the virus like you are.

I wouldn't be unduly bothered that I'd be left seriously ill by the virus either. I'm young enough, fairly fit, generally healthy. I'd be very, very unlucky to become seriously ill - but I don't want to help to spread it to people that might not be so lucky. That's really what my main motivation is, not self preservation.

Dr. Bre wrote: »
    Ireland’s next president

We deserve him.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,015 ✭✭✭Hulk Hands

No bookie in history has ever put the words "I would bet high odds" together in a sentence

• Registered Users Posts: 9,420 ✭✭✭splinter65

Sen Lynne Ruane showed up in Lidl today looking for bread dressed in a swimsuit twinned with a thigh high split sarong.
    A member of staff discreetly asked her to dress more appropriately the next time she comes.
    Totally affronted she left and got straight on the Twitter machine to complain to all her followers in an effort to get her revenge.
    Of course Lidl were on like a **** looking for the details of who where and when.
    She could have sorted it in store but no, has to be a **** about it. I hate what this country has become.
    https://twitter.com/senlynnruane/status/1267439424444477442?s=21

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,047 ✭✭✭Clonmel1000

Who is Lynne Ruane?

I wouldn't be unduly bothered that I'd be left seriously ill by the virus either. I'm young enough, fairly fit, generally healthy. I'd be very, very unlucky to become seriously ill - but I don't want to help to spread it to people that might not be so lucky. That's really what my main motivation is, not self preservation.

Your motivations are your motivations but they sure are mathematically odd. Do you behave like this in flu season? If not, why not? If you do, why don’t the rest of society? Do you keep up these coronavirus shenanigans forever? Do you typically respond to minuscule risks in this way? Do you agree that quarantining should focus on shielding the sick, not the healthy? Are you one of those waiting for the elusive vaccine? If not, what rate of infection will motivate you to crawl out of your hole? Are you satisfied with wearing ludicrous face coverings and standing 7 ft away from people for the rest of your life? Do you think the clothes stores which are planning on quarantining tried on garments -yes you read that correctly- for three days are acting rationally? Please give me an insight into the risk averse brain of someone who is happy to run away from this thing indefinitely. You could help a bitter man get over his despondency of this Orwellian era.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,420 ✭✭✭splinter65

Who is Lynne Ruane?

A senator

• Registered Users Posts: 5,655 ✭✭✭Charles Babbage

Your motivations are your motivations but they sure are mathematically odd. Do you behave like this in flu season? If not, why not? If you do, why don’t the rest of society? .

Sorry to intervene with logic, but might it perhaps be because there is a flu vaccine which people over 65 and with illnesses get?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,447 ✭✭✭Ginger n Lemon

Your motivations are your motivations but they sure are mathematically odd. Do you behave like this in flu season? If not, why not? If you do, why don’t the rest of society? Do you keep up these coronavirus shenanigans forever? Do you typically respond to minuscule risks in this way? Do you agree that quarantining should focus on shielding the sick, not the healthy? Are you one of those waiting for the elusive vaccine? If not, what rate of infection will motivate you to crawl out of your hole? Are you satisfied with wearing ludicrous face coverings and standing 7 ft away from people for the rest of your life? Do you think the clothes stores which are planning on quarantining tried on garments -yes you read that correctly- for three days are acting rationally? Please give me an insight into the risk averse brain of someone who is happy to run away from this thing indefinitely. You could help a bitter man get over his despondency of this Orwellian era.

Damn that was good.

Hulk Hands wrote: »
    No bookie in history has ever put the words "I would bet high odds" together in a sentence

Thank you for pointing out my unusual use of bookmaking semantics,but i did not expect to encounter many knowledgeable punters on a covid thread,just using the term high odds for the uninitiated.Not that it matters on an anonymous site but yes years running an independent shop before selling out to a multiple.Now back to topic.

• Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭vid36

77 new cases today , 71 in Spain with ten times our population. But yeah open everything up like Donald, Boris and his mate Dom.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,655 ✭✭✭Charles Babbage

vid36 wrote: »
    77 new cases today , 71 in Spain with ten times our population. But yeah open everything up like Donald, Boris and his mate Dom.

Exactly. It is appropriate to call on the government to get the cases down so that things can open up. It is madness to call on them to open up given that the cases are not coming down.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,428 ✭✭✭ZX7R

Spain have not reported there full numbers for the day yet

• Registered Users Posts: 3,447 ✭✭✭Ginger n Lemon

4th week in a row new cases in double digits.

Yesterday 2 deaths, today 1 death. This time last week 0 deaths.

Are we seriously trying to eradicate the damn thing? If not, if we arent listening to Gerry Killeen, can we get them phase 3 and 4 to begin 8th of June?

This feels like some sort of a horrible nightmare.

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭greensheep777

splinter65 wrote: »
    Sen Lynne Ruane showed up in Lidl today looking for bread dressed in a swimsuit twinned with a thigh high split sarong.
    A member of staff discreetly asked her to dress more appropriately the next time she comes.
    Totally affronted she left and got straight on the Twitter machine to complain to all her followers in an effort to get her revenge.
    Of course Lidl were on like a **** looking for the details of who where and when.
    She could have sorted it in store but no, has to be a **** about it. I hate what this country has become.

Hate what the country has become? You must be new. Ireland has been oppressing women for years. Anyway, what's this got to do with coronavirus? Is the virus a devout Catholic that attacks bare female flesh on sight?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,216 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

splinter65 wrote: »

Its totally weird to wear swimwear out and about as clothes and its generally frowned up in actual hot places with pools and beaches. But what does it have to do with coronavirus?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭mountgomery burns

Don't forget - turning on anyone who had the audacity to leave the country and might have had reasons for why.

We might be in the EU, but apparently you're not allowed to use your freedom of movement and go out there and make something of yourself. That'd be notions! Get back to Ireland and be miserable, who do you think you are!

Crabs in a bucket.

You've invented this in your head.
    Chief, I get it. You didn't like it at home so you moved to Germany. So fair enough, don't be subjecting me to your angst about your homeland.

I think the gov is moving way too slow with the plan but expect a pivot....but not prepared to watch an expat sniping at his own, putting yourself on a pedestal for emigrating.

I took exception to the vitriol and derision leveled at Irish people, being that that would include my friends, family, colleagues, teammates etc.

Your comments are aimed at bigots and spiteful people (by the way, might want to take a look in the mirror) who exist in every Country, not a trait acquired by being Irish by birth.
    Along with the fact that, as a nation, we're most comfortable when we're miserable? Maybe because it feels familiar? We also love moralising over others and their actions. There was a time you had to be an unmarried mother to get so much judgement and vitriol off other people. Now you just have to go more than 5km away from your house.

Moralising indeed
    I'm sorry that you're upset that some of us have the education, skills and get-up-and-go to go somewhere else. I also didn't realise that I'm not allowed to have an opinion on my own home country! Lord bless us and save us! How many Our Fathers should I say?

Expat? No, I'm an immigrant. It's not a dirty word. Don't worry, you'll be begging for my German taxes when Ireland runs out of money. It won't be long, and it won't be the first time. But it's good to see the good old fashioned Irish begrudgery coming out. You're miserable, so everyone else should be too.

I'm very sorry that I had valid reasons for leaving, along with the thousands of other Irish people before me. Also, it's "she". I know it might be difficult to understand, but women are able to use computers as well.

Expat, immigrant, semantics. They're interchangeable terms.

You've assumed from my one comment that I am sexist, religious and xenophobic I think from the above none of which is true. I don't begrudge you at all for living abroad, I want to live here, you want to live there, fair enough.

As for your dole comment, 10 years ago I was 17. I'm fortunate enough to have been employed since I graduated and haven't ever claimed social welfare.
    I'm sorry that you're upset that some of us have the education, skills and get-up-and-go to go somewhere else. I also didn't realise that I'm not allowed to have an opinion on my own home

Of course you're allowed have an opinion, just don't expect to deride an entire country and not expect some hostility. Aside from incorrectly assuming your gender, the only other assumption I'd make is your very arrogant but that is pretty self evident. Are you suggesting that what prevents everybody else from emigrating is a lack of education, skills and motivation? Incredible.

I also think you're deluded if you believe the reason for Ireland's slow exit from lockdown is due to a lazy workforce who have no desire to be employed, and that they are now somehow lobbying the government into prolonged restrictions.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭vid36

4th week in a row new cases in double digits.

Yesterday 2 deaths, today 1 death. This time last week 0 deaths.

Are we seriously trying to eradicate the damn thing? If not, if we arent listening to Gerry Killeen, can we get them phase 3 and 4 to begin 8th of June?

This feels like some sort of a horrible nightmare.

There is no chance of skipping phases with these number.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement