Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Relaxation of Restrictions, Part IV - **Read OP for Mod Warnings**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,298 ✭✭✭facehugger99

Gavlor wrote: »
    I can’t believe the amount of people Spouting this nonsense.

We borrow billions now over what is considered in govt bond markets as short term ie under 10 years at a low interest rate. Happy days.

What happens in 5 or 10 years time when they need to be repaid??

Inflation?? Unlikely

Pay it off at that stage?? Nope

We refinance at an infinitely higher rate which will be on top of the new finance that we currently require on an annual basis to keep the country going.

Borrowing 000’s of billions now will cripple the country for generations.

It's borrowing against our kids and grandkids future productivity.

It's become the latest fashion amongst the 'can't someone else pay for it' brigade.

Why would you make a tough decision now as a politician when you can just kick the can down the road for a few years?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,179 ✭✭✭Gavlor

It's borrowing against our kids and grandkids future productivity.

It's become the latest fashion amongst the 'can't someone else pay for it' brigade.

Why would you make a tough decision now as a politician when you can just kick the can down the road for a few years?

Yup, trump is doing it so what could possibly go wrong?

It’s not like we’ll ever need to retire anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,407 ✭✭✭✭road_high

And we've lads ringing the HSE and the Guards over crowds in the Japanese Gardens.

No wonder we're fcuked as a country.

Indeed...”worried” about the crowds while there themselves. You couldnt make it up. These are the kind of hyper-curtain twitchers driving and driving new restrictions and new hysteria

• Registered Users Posts: 2,659 ✭✭✭rovers_runner

What's laughable is your lot talking about going out and living yet ye are seemingly chained to the keyboard, fingers poised waiting to patronise anyone who disagrees with your views on the matter. The irony is, if there is a surge in cases for whatever reason, it will be you complaining loudest about the return of the lockdown. And for those of you saying it can't happen look at Victoria.

Easiest thing in the world for people to observe a few sanitary procedures, ensure the last few restrictions are lifted and allow society to return to normal yet a small minority would prefer to advocate for a complete and utter disregard of basic hygiene practices during a pandemic.

If you had actually read my post instead of jumping to some knee jerk conclusion you would have noticed me registering my dislike for the restrictions. I have no wish for the country to return to lockdown but when morons fail to observe even a modicum of sense that's what we have to look forward to, especially given we are labouring under what is essentially a populist government, at least in response to covid.

I expect a spike beyond the levels of the first wave down the line.
    The Govt have no intention of stopping air travel or house parties.
    If they were serious about this they could have stopped non commercial air travel and come down hard on house party addresses.

As the Govt have shrugged their shoulders at the most obvious ways to limit the virus all we can do is get on with our lives.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,261 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,953 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

The Government know the costs of all this, and are acting accordingly.

From 2008 to date everyone thought we would be bankrupt and would never ever recover. But we did and were doing really well until Covid.

We will recover again. The whole world is not going to bankrupt each other. Well that's what's keeping me going, we are not alone in this like the awful times when the IMF came in and NAMA and paycuts and doom and gloom.

Let's hope for stability, but in fairness I think caution is the way to go now. A few more weeks of restrictions, and slowly opening up sounds sensible to me. But hello to those who disagree with me, I don't mind it's a free country (well apart from the rules lol), so let's be stricter than others, it is not a competition. It is for the good of us all.

Having said that I think FF made a balls of it so far, so I'm hoping their message will be clear and concise when they make decisions on Green lanes etc. and opening up of pubs.

And I also think opening schools in late Aug/Sep is their goal without a spike from those visiting pubs and going abroad. I'm just guessing.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,407 ✭✭✭✭road_high

How convenient! Couldn’t Leo chair that one

road_high wrote: »

If you don't think the schools and colleges are being considered in this decision making delay, well I think they are. And this is a co ordinated scheme to get them back before families perhaps spike the numbers and/or infect others.

Personally I think that's the plan.

Anyway most things are open now anyway, but pubs are very problematic for spread, as is potentially bringing it back from abroad.

If you don't think the schools and colleges are being considered in this decision making delay, well I think they are. And this is a co ordinated scheme to get them back before families perhaps spike the numbers and/or infect others.

Personally I think that's the plan.

Anyway most things are open now anyway, but pubs are very problematic for spread, as is potentially bringing it back from abroad.

This is nothing to do with schools. Martin in Brussels so they've pulled the meeting. Likely to be Thursday appearently but thats TBC

Must want to do it himself.
    Fairly sure he'd have to have some sort of presence at it be it by phone or in person.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 917 ✭✭✭MickeyLeari

Must want to do it himself.
    Fairly sure he'd have to have some sort of presence at it be it by phone or in person.

The biggest Cabinet decision in our history was pretty much done by phone - the bank guarantee. It suits Govt to kick the can down the road on this one.

This is nothing to do with schools. Martin in Brussels so they've pulled the meeting. Likely to be Thursday appearently but thats TBC

I think it very much is myself, not disputing your view either BTW.

The issue of funding from EU is a different matter. Every EU country has freedom to either open up or close things down, or delay things, or insist on masks etc.

We'll see.

• Registered Users Posts: 988 ✭✭✭brendanwalsh

The travel quarantine is not being policed at all.

My friend came home from Spain and filled in a Mickey Mouse form and was in the pub later that evening.

Total joke

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 14,117 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

My friend came home from Spain and filled in a Mickey Mouse form and was in the pub later that evening.

Total joke

Did you call you friend out on it? Pretty sh1tty thing for them to do, while I’m sure they took precautions, it’s still coming through a travel hub and putting others at risk.

Total joke

That would MM from FF lol.

Shambles from day one in a lot of ways. But let's see what happens going forward.

The Government know the costs of all this, and are acting accordingly.

From 2008 to date everyone thought we would be bankrupt and would never ever recover. But we did and were doing really well until Covid.

We will recover again. The whole world is not going to bankrupt each other. Well that's what's keeping me going, we are not alone in this like the awful times when the IMF came in and NAMA and paycuts and doom and gloom.

Let's hope for stability, but in fairness I think caution is the way to go now. A few more weeks of restrictions, and slowly opening up sounds sensible to me. But hello to those who disagree with me, I don't mind it's a free country (well apart from the rules lol), so let's be stricter than others, it is not a competition. It is for the good of us all.

Having said that I think FF made a balls of it so far, so I'm hoping their message will be clear and concise when they make decisions on Green lanes etc. and opening up of pubs.

And I also think opening schools in late Aug/Sep is their goal without a spike from those visiting pubs and going abroad. I'm just guessing.

Jesus - read a paper or something before spouting your clappy-seal ****e on here - we had nearly €200bn of debt still on the books from the last recession.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,460 ✭✭✭FishOnABike

Total joke

And yet will probably have the hypocrisy to complain that things aren't opening up quick enough, totally blind to the fact that lack of personal responsibility like their's is what will slow down reopening things or even close them down again.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭Diarmuid

Talk about ironic.... Our approach from 2nd week of March was to borrow, keep borrowing, and now look at us, begging EU to give out "grants". Open up the damn country fully - and get on with life. We have 0.000001% infection rate in Ireland per day, maybe its 0.0000001% ... useless.

It's incredible. "You French, Germans and Dutch need to get back to work to pay for us to hide at home under the covers"

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭dabestman1

Total joke
    did you say anthing to your friend or did you him/her a drink. Typical.
    Personal responability.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,218 ✭✭✭snowcat

So the results of the antibody tests are in from Ireland. About 5% of us have had the Covid. 1753 deaths. Mortality rate of .03%.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/health/coronavirus-ireland-has-no-significant-herd-immunity-study-shows-1.4308216

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭Diarmuid

snowcat wrote: »
    So the results of the antibody tests are in from Ireland. About 5% of us have had the Covid. 1753 deaths. Mortality rate of .03%.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/health/coronavirus-ireland-has-no-significant-herd-immunity-study-shows-1.4308216

France off the Green list yet in cities like Nice have 1.3% have had it, a fraction of Ireland. All the population were eligible for testing and 53,000 people took up the offer
    https://www.francebleu.fr/infos/sante-sciences/campagne-de-depistage-a-nice-1-3-des-53-000-habitants-volontaires-testes-positifs-au-covid-19-1594023678

• Registered Users Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Seweryn

These 1700 deaths are well overstated. Death statistics show that clearly and even officially they say they may have overestimated the Cov. deaths. If you deduct the Cov. deaths from the statistics the gap to the previous year's average is just too large, the numbers make no sense TBH.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,852 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

The last bust disgraceful as it was , will be far more forgiveable than the choice of bust they are opting for this time. I agree with the position of the dutch and finnish etc...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,044 ✭✭✭TaurenDruid

Diarmuid wrote: »
    France off the Green list yet in cities like Nice have 1.3% have had it, a fraction of Ireland. All the population were eligible for testing and 53,000 people took up the offer
    https://www.francebleu.fr/infos/sante-sciences/campagne-de-depistage-a-nice-1-3-des-53-000-habitants-volontaires-testes-positifs-au-covid-19-1594023678

Oh! Got a link to the Green List handy?

Indeed...”worried” about the crowds while there themselves. You couldnt make it up. These are the kind of hyper-curtain twitchers driving and driving new restrictions and new hysteria

You saw the bit where they arrived, saw the crowds, and so they left after a few minutes, no?

Evidently you can make up what you want to think you've read...

Which actually means: "...there is a very large susceptible population there, and that is one of the reasons why we have to be so careful with moving through the reopening phases,” he said. “Because so many people have not had the infection and if the virus kicks off again, it will transmit very readily to people purely because there is no significant level of population immunity at this point.”

and

"They show the State is still some way off achieving herd immunity, where 60-90 per cent of population become immune to a virus to halt it spreading."

and that's all assuming that it's a once-and-immune deal.

You saw the bit where they arrived, saw the crowds, and so they left after a few minutes, no?

Evidently you can make up what you want to think you've read...

Ah come on - has to be up there as one of the most unintentionally hilarious posts since Covid kicked off.

It has all the ingredients, from arriving at a popular visitor site on a sunny weekend, the pompous and righteous indignation of discovering others were doing the same right through to the hysterical overreaction of phoning the Guards.

The lack of self-awareness was comedy gold

• Registered Users Posts: 1,218 ✭✭✭snowcat

Which actually means: "...there is a very large susceptible population there, and that is one of the reasons why we have to be so careful with moving through the reopening phases,” he said. “Because so many people have not had the infection and if the virus kicks off again, it will transmit very readily to people purely because there is no significant level of population immunity at this point.”

and

"They show the State is still some way off achieving herd immunity, where 60-90 per cent of population become immune to a virus to halt it spreading."

and that's all assuming that it's a once-and-immune deal.

Very arrogant telling people what the article means. People can draw their own conclusions from the article.

Exposes the central contradiction at the heart of the lockdown-narrative.

The cases are so low because we've stayed in lockdown and we have to stay in lockdown because the cases are so low.

It's been obvious from the the start that we were headed for a paralysis and now we're stuck in a rut with the politicians afraid to make any decision.

The lockdown was supposed to buy us a few weeks of time and here we sit months later with a bunch of overpaid gombeens kicking the can down the road and adding billions to our debt because they're terrified of being labeled 'granny-killers' on twitter.

• Advertisement

0.03% of the entire population. 0.7% of those infected - in line with studies from other countries

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement