Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Relaxation of Restrictions, Part IV - **Read OP for Mod Warnings**

Options

Comments

joeguevara wrote: »
    The poster did reference Europe so I tried to stick to that with areas of Spain and the UK being obvious examples but you are correct. Also this idea that we are refusing to go back to normality is ridiculous. The only areas that are not open are large sporting events and pubs that don't serve food.

It isn't just pubs though. Pubs is a huge area. But there also lots of nightclubs that are not allowed to open and other entertainment venues.

The whole entertainment industry relies on pubs, clubs and venues been open.
    Actors, musicians, comedians etc are all out of work since March.

Most of the places that are open are running at extremely reduced capacities with the 2M distancing.

There are still 350000 people receiving the Covid payment. That is all the evidence needed to know that its not just a few pubs still closed.

It is obvious the government are reluctant to reopen. They would have used any excuse they could find to keep the pubs closed. They reluctantly had to allow the ones that sell food to open. They don't want nightclubs until a vaccine is found. They don't want people to travel. They don't appear to be making progress with how the schools will reopen.

It couldn't be any clearer that they'd prefer to sit this out until somebody else gives us a vaccine and hopefully the EU will cover a chunk of our costs.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,444 ✭✭✭robbiezero

Most club gaa matches wont have more than 200 people at them.

What doesn't it allow? And I don't see sporting events as stopping normality.

Most senior club championship games will easily have 200+ people at them, I would think. Certainly in Tipperary anyway it would be hard to get a meaningful senior or intermediate championship game with less than this.

For some people, not being able to attend sporting events is quite definitely stopping normality.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,056 ✭✭✭joeguevara

robbiezero wrote: »
    Most senior club championship games will easily have 200+ people at them, I would think. Certainly in Tipperary anyway it would be hard to get a meaningful senior or intermediate championship game with less than this.

For some people, not being able to attend sporting events is quite definitely stopping normality.

100% agree and Im on your side on this one. Being from Tipp but living in Dublin I am fully aware of how it is so important. But in the context of Ireland being the most backward in Europe and not opening up, I think we are doing quite well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,047 ✭✭✭Clonmel1000

Most club gaa matches wont have more than 200 people at them.

What doesn't it allow? And I don't see sporting events as stopping normality.

There is nothing normal about this country currently. We can’t travel abroad. We can’t stay in a restaurant for more than 105 minutes. No talk on the 2m social distancing and the queue outside shops and cafes etc. All pubs shut down cinemas likewise. Sporting events curtailed massively ditto. Church services etc. The list goes on. Normal it certainly isn’t.

There is nothing normal about this country currently. We can’t travel abroad. We can’t stay in a restaurant for more than 105 minutes. No talk on the 2m social distancing and the queue outside shops and cafes etc. All pubs shut down cinemas likewise. Sporting events curtailed massively ditto. Church services etc. The list goes on. Normal it certainly isn’t.

Well... The official advise is NOT to travel and to cancel your holidays. But you might not get a refund. And we are going to publish a Green List. But then the green list is delayed. And now the tanaiste is publically questioning why we would publish a green list at all if the advise is not to travel...

Did I mention the word farce yet?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,298 ✭✭✭facehugger99

You totally can.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,636 ✭✭✭Doctor Jimbob

I think the obvious solution is just to open everything up and hand out forms everywhere. It's sufficient for travel so presumably it will be sufficient for everything else.

You totally can.

Unfortunately I’m my job it’s impossible with the quarantine restrictions but I take your point. My point about things not being normal stands.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,351 ✭✭✭NegativeCreep

Unfortunately I’m my job it’s impossible with the quarantine restrictions but I take your point. My point about things not being normal stands.

They don’t have to know where you’ve been or even that you travelled at all

They don’t have to know where you’ve been or even that you travelled at all

Easier said than done when there’s my wife and kids involved also. The whole situation is ludicrous.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,572 ✭✭✭Penfailed

There is nothing normal about this country currently.
    We can’t travel abroad. We can.
    We can’t stay in a restaurant for more than 105 minutes. I did last week but I wouldn't have been staying much longer anyway...how long does it take to eat?
    No talk on the 2m social distancing and the queue outside shops and cafes etc. All pubs shut down cinemas likewise. I was at the cinema last week
    Sporting events curtailed massively ditto. Church services etc. The list goes on. Normal it certainly isn’t.

There is nothing normal about ANY country at the moment.

Gigs '24 - Ben Ottewell and Ian Ball (Gomez), The Jesus & Mary Chain, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Pearl Jam, Green Day, Stendhal Festival, Forest Fest, Electric Picnic, Ride, PJ Harvey, Pixies, Public Service Broadcasting, Therapy?, IDLES(x2)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,379 ✭✭✭FintanMcluskey

Do you not know that other countries have gone into lockdown again and even done localised lockdowns? How do you explain that?

Population density.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,044 ✭✭✭TaurenDruid

You can travel abroad if your travel is essential. Self-isolate for 14 days when you return.

You can stay in a restaurant for more than 105 minutes.

I don't know what your exact issue is with 2m social distancing, but it's preventing infections when observed?

I've been in two different pubs on three occasions in the past two weeks?

Cinemas - yeah, it's a shame they haven't all reopened yet, but they're all allowed to open. Some have. You can find the listings on entertainment.ie

Sport is curtailed, but they have a roadmap for reopening. Plenty of organised soccer going on in my local park, golf courses were open ages ago.

Churches are open.

So, um... maybe get out in the real world and enjoy what's there, because a lot of life appears to be passing you by while you read and repeat misinformation on the internet...

You can travel abroad if your travel is essential. Self-isolate for 14 days when you return.

You can stay in a restaurant for more than 105 minutes.

I don't know what your exact issue is with 2m social distancing, but it's preventing infections when observed?

I've been in two different pubs on three occasions in the past two weeks?

Cinemas - yeah, it's a shame they haven't all reopened yet, but they're all allowed to open. Some have. You can find the listings on entertainment.ie

Sport is curtailed, but they have a roadmap for reopening. Plenty of organised soccer going on in my local park, golf courses were open ages ago.

Churches are open.

So, um... maybe get out in the real world and enjoy what's there, because a lot of life appears to be passing you by while you read and repeat misinformation on the internet...

So a 2 week holiday means taking 4 weeks leave and this is normal and doable?

The 2 metre thing is killing a lot of smaller business whilst not being observed in the “real world” as you call it. Head to any large retail unit and you’ll see this.

I’m not interested in paying €9 for food I don’t want and certainly won’t make me safer from Covid.

Supporters not allowed to our gaa games last weekend once the teams and officials were accounted for despite their being acres of space nonsensical and certainly not normal.

Churches allowing very reduced numbers and many masses cancelled as a result. We’ve had another crazy decision to cancel a mass on A mountain locally next week for to public health concerns. The side of a feckin mountain!
    So I dunno maybe the “new normal” is good for you but I certainly don’t find it less than normal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 296 ✭✭Golf is my Game

Thats not what it is its just that you cant go overseas for them holidays this year but you can have your 2 week holidays no bother.

I’m not interested in paying €9 for food I don’t want and certainly won’t make me safer from Covid.

The nine quid thing is making you safer from covid whether you go to a pub or not because its reducing the number of pubs open and the numbers of people going in them which is the point not that nine notes worth of food does anything for you, but your not the only one missing the point of this which maybe in fairness to those who didnt get it should have been explained better by the nephet and health.

Supporters not allowed to our gaa games last weekend once the teams and officials were accounted for despite their being acres of space nonsensical and certainly not normal.

This is like the pubs because its about having few people in there because you cant trust big groups of lads to keep social distance at a game like that and thats quite right, so the risk is reduced which is a good thing, and at least the game can go on.

Churches allowing very reduced numbers and many masses cancelled as a result. We’ve had another crazy decision to cancel a mass on A mountain locally next week for to public health concerns. The side of a feckin mountain!
    Yes but the risks is too high of groups of people concentrating near once another whether its outside or not is by the way. Once you understand there thinking actually a lot of these things that are being regulated make sense really, but its that a lot dont look at them fully understanding.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,379 ✭✭✭FintanMcluskey

Once you understand there thinking actually a lot of these things that are being regulated make sense really, but its that a lot dont look at them fully understanding.

"Once you understand there thinking"

Who are you referring to?

The 2 metre thing is killing a lot of smaller business whilst not being observed in the “real world” as you call it. Head to any large retail unit and you’ll see this.

So, in summary, you're confirming that all of what you wrote in your OP is, in fact, incorrect. Grand, so.

If you're talking about Reek Sunday being cancelled, thank ****ing Christ for that! "Thousands" of people last year, an estimated 5,000 in 2018, and 25,000 in 2017. All of them going up and down a fairly narrow trail! Of course it should have been cancelled, and if you can't work out why, well... yeah.

• Advertisement

Thats not what it is its just that you cant go overseas for them holidays this year but you can have your 2 week holidays no bother.

I am off to Bulgaria for my essential week of holidays next week. Since I work from home, self isolation is nothing new for me. Even though Bulgaria has been fully opened for several weeks now, their infection rate remains low.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,407 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Ireland is the most reluctant country in Europe to get back to a level of normality.
    We've extended lockdown before.
    Pushed back homeware due to a "typo".
    Pushed back phase 4 of the reopening.
    Advised people against travel.
    Threatened to go back phases
    Have constantly finger waved at people and allowed a very negative media narrative to continue.

It is not difficult to see that the plan is to keep the people scared and compliant.

It is working too. Too many gullible people brainwashed by RTE.

Problem is there are a lot of people perfectly happy with the lockdown and happily take the €350 per week to do nothing and take zero responsibility. And who could blame them? It’s state sponsored insane laziness.
    There’s almost a carnival atmosphere of doing nothing the past month during week days in any tourist spots. The lost productivity through this and the reduced capacity via that 2m rubbish must be breathtaking

• Closed Accounts Posts: 491 ✭✭YellowBucket

Given that 1.8m of us normally jet off of Spain (& that’s only Spain), I would certainly hope there are busy domestic tourist destinations.

That carnival atmosphere you’re tutting at is the sound of some of the nearly 6 billion Euro we normally on overseas trips re-circulating into the domestic economy.

If you didn’t see any activity at Irish domestic tourism destinations there would be something seriously wrong and an indication of tipping into an economic depression and money not being spent at all.

That activity is very much part of what will keep us afloat.

Have I mentioned the word farce on this thread yet?

So we published a green list of countries that it is ok to travel to, but we don't want you to travel...
    And we don't we want you to go the pub in Ireland, but you can go nuts in Italy if you want to. But we'd prefer if you didn't. A staycation with no pubs would be better for you.
    And you can go to Gibraltar but not to Spain. What f*cking gombeen actually came up with this? Enjoy Gibraltar if you have a parachute.
    Now I don't know for sure, but I believe Monaco is the same.

This would be comedy gold if it wasn't actually real life.

road_high wrote: »
    Problem is there are a lot of people perfectly happy with the lockdown and happily take the €350 per week to do nothing and take zero responsibility. And who could blame them? It’s state sponsored insane laziness.
    There’s almost a carnival atmosphere of doing nothing the past month during week days in any tourist spots. The lost productivity through this and the reduced capacity via that 2m rubbish must be breathtaking

If you honestly can't comprehend why there needs to be 2m social distancing while there's an active and growing respiratory viral pandemic, maybe use your increased time at home to read some more.

From books and reputable sites like the WHO, not conspiracy theory sites on facebook.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,129 ✭✭✭Lundstram

WHO and repuatble are words that should never be used in the same sentence.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,851 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

I am off to Bulgaria for my essential week of holidays next week. Since I work from home, self isolation is nothing new for me. Even though Bulgaria has been fully opened for several weeks now, their infection rate remains low.

That is funny, their infection rate is at the highest it ever was. Considering that region the cases are going up and up.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,179 ✭✭✭Gavlor

That is funny, their infection rate is at the highest it ever was. Considering that region the cases are going up and up.

The truth is not allowed on this thread. Hang your head in shame.

Imagine you had to explain this whole farce to somebody who just woke up from a coma...

We were told a killer disease was on the way. The media kick started absolute hysteria. People were terrified. But we wouldn't close the airports. Eventually Covid arrived in Ireland. The country went into lockdown and people absolutely panicked, stockpiled on canned foods and toilet rolls of all things.

Months passed by and the death rate was actually extremely low. Most of the people that passed away had very serious illnesses already. And we were also overstating the deaths. If Covid was even suspected, we'd stick it down as a Covid death.

After the curve was flattened and hospital numbers started dropping, we thought we'd spend a few more weeks in lockdown before announcing the longest reopening plan in all of Europe. At the very first hurdle, some rumours started about people looking forward to going to Ikea. So we forced the homeware industry to remain closed for another couple of weeks.

When restaurants opened, a bunch of pubs stated they would also reopen and serve food. The government panicked and some expert decided that you had to spend at least 9 euro on food and could only stay in the pub for 105 minutes.

A bunch of weeks passed by and we had practically no cases. All of a sudden we started doubling the amount of testing we were doing. The cases numbers increased a tiny bit so we decided to delay phase 4 of the reopening for another 3 weeks at least.

We told people to cancel their holidays and stay in Ireland. But then we published a green list of places that you can go to. But we don't want you to go to them. And you can go to pubs and do what you please in those countries, but please stay in Ireland. And of course, you can go to NI and do whatever you want up there. Fly to wherever you want.

Oh yeah, and the economy is f*cked for the forseeable future.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,038 ✭✭✭KrustyUCC

This is like the pubs because its about having few people in there because you cant trust big groups of lads to keep social distance at a game like that and thats quite right, so the risk is reduced which is a good thing, and at least the game can go on.

The issue is with thinking like yours and the one size fits all approach

By in large people can be trusted and are generally compliant

My club is playing championship in a 16,500 capacity stadium

We're stuck with 200 outdoors thanks to one size fits all approach

No good reason why you couldn't close of various sections inbetween, fill a section, then move people to next open section

500 wouldn't put a dent in a stadium like that even if it was 95 supporters on 4 sides of the grounds

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement