Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Relaxation of Restrictions, Part IV - **Read OP for Mod Warnings**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,447 ✭✭✭Ginger n Lemon

Well given he was working in hospital up to catching the virus he was a productive member of society contributing to the country. But if he had asthma or high BP he was about to die anyway and doesn't count?

So the person had underlying condition (perhaps conditions, hence none of this is reported in Irish Times article) and has died with covid.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,324 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

All you can go by is previous trends of it and going by the past trend its coming back.

Balkans are is spreading, Romania is growing also. Its spreading across again.

Really hope I am wrong but I have a feeling we haven't see the worst of this storm yet.

unfortunately second waves are inevitable with pandemics, hopefully our health system can withstand it

Penfailed wrote: »
    Cheering it on?! No.
    A shill? No, I'm not an accomplice of a confidence trickster.
    Doing well economically? No. I've taken a pay cut and my wife is ineligible for the Covid payment. I've taken quite a hit to the pocket.
    My job to muddy the waters in here?! I'm not getting paid to post unfortunately.
    A literal enemy of the Irish people? That's just laughable. I have school age children too.

Your character assassination of me has absolutely no basis in reality.

Jesus Pen - I have taken a pay cut, my wife is not eligible for covid payment and I have school age children. Are you my multi or am I yours?

All you can go by is previous trends of it and going by the past trend its coming back.

Really hope I am wrong but I have a feeling we haven't see the worst of this storm yet.

I've missed this. :rolleyes:

No I havent.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    unfortunately second waves are inevitable with pandemics, hopefully our health system can withstand it
    A robust, responsive testing system is the front line in that.

• Advertisement

is_that_so wrote: »
    A robust, responsive testing system is the front line in that.

thats only one part of the system thats needed, with most covid cases being front line staff, and most of those still outta work, we could have a problem!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,851 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

So the person had underlying condition (perhaps conditions, hence none of this is reported in Irish Times article) and has died with covid.

Tommy Rivs in the USA is fighting for his life with Covid. The man is a utlra endurance athlete, no under lying health issues and very strong.

Sadly he is fighting for his life. If he recovers, it will be doubtful he get back to where he was before this

We dont know if he did or did not have underlying condition. However that's is not relevant at all as he was a productive member of society who died well before his time.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,851 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

thats only one part of the system thats needed, with most covid cases being front line staff, and most of those still outta work, we could have a problem!

I was in the hospital yesterday, that particular hospital all the front line are back. They tested my dad before admitting him.

They are bracing for the next phase of it though.

We dont know if he did or did not have underlying condition. However that's is not relevant at all as he was a productive member of society who died well before his time.

You dont know. yes. But doesnt stop you from posting Irish times article saying "look, a person under the age of 80 without underlying conditions has died from covid!"

You havent changed a bit I see.

• Advertisement

I was in the hospital yesterday, that particular hospital all the front line are back. They tested my dad before admitting him.

hope your fathers doing okay

Coronavirus: Only 4,100 calls made to check up on 60,000 arrivals to Dublin Airport

Figures show percentage of follow-up calls being answered appears to be declining

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/coronavirus-only-4-100-calls-made-to-check-up-on-60-000-arrivals-to-dublin-airport-1.4311056

:D

So our govt is telling us to do a staycation, while it cant even be bothered to ring people who have arrived here from US, etc.? Beautiful

Coronavirus: Only 4,100 calls made to check up on 60,000 arrivals to Dublin Airport

Figures show percentage of follow-up calls being answered appears to be declining

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/coronavirus-only-4-100-calls-made-to-check-up-on-60-000-arrivals-to-dublin-airport-1.4311056

:D

So our govt is telling us to do a staycation, while it cant even be bothered to ring people who have arrived here from US, etc.? Beautiful

this is a really serious problem, this will more than likely fail spectacularly

• Registered Users Posts: 7,857 ✭✭✭growleaves

Protests in Argentina against the lockdown
    The mobilizations began at 4 pm and again included people without social distancing or wearing masks, as required by Covid-19 protocol to avoid spreading the virus. Protests also took place in Córdoba, Mendoza, Mar del Plata and Santa Fe, with the epicenter in the city of Avellaneda, headquarters of the Vicentín company.
    "We march for freedom, justice and the welfare of the Argentine people. For the shopkeepers who are going bankrupt while the president is engaged in an unsustainable quarantine," was the message promoted by the group CampoMasCiudad to convene the protest.

The balkans are treating this much more lightly than we are. The measures we have in place, even when pubs and schools return, will prevent exponential type growth as seen in March

growleaves wrote: »

so the question is, are our economic systems robust enough to withstand natural but rare events such as pandemics?

You dont know. yes. But doesnt stop you from posting Irish times article saying "look, a person under the age of 80 without underlying conditions has died from covid!"

You havent changed a bit I see.

20% plus of the population have underlying conditions - doesn't make them expendable

• Registered Users Posts: 7,572 ✭✭✭Penfailed

Hannibal36 wrote: »
    Is that an attempt at a personal insult?Your weakness is showing,wonder why you have to resort to personal attacks i wonder.

Hahaha! Maybe don't attack people personally yourself?

Gigs '24 - Ben Ottewell and Ian Ball (Gomez), The Jesus & Mary Chain, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Pearl Jam, Green Day, Stendhal Festival, Forest Fest, Electric Picnic, Ride, PJ Harvey, Pixies, Public Service Broadcasting, Therapy?, IDLES(x2)

• Registered Users Posts: 28,848 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

growleaves wrote: »

It'll happen here yet when the recession really starts to bite and the schools don't go back in September.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,572 ✭✭✭Penfailed

Jesus Pen - I have taken a pay cut, my wife is not eligible for covid payment and I have school age children. Are you my multi or am I yours?

Are you a shill or an enemy of the Irish people though? ...that's the real benchmark.

Gigs '24 - Ben Ottewell and Ian Ball (Gomez), The Jesus & Mary Chain, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Pearl Jam, Green Day, Stendhal Festival, Forest Fest, Electric Picnic, Ride, PJ Harvey, Pixies, Public Service Broadcasting, Therapy?, IDLES(x2)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,950 ✭✭✭polesheep

I'm curious how you know this. We are only ever told 'healthcare' staff. Anecdotally, I'm given to understand that it doesn't seem to be front line staff or hospital staff that are mostly affected. It seems to be nursing and care home staff. It would be very helpful if we were given more accurate information.

Penfailed wrote: »
    Are you a shill or an enemy of the Irish people though? ...that's the real benchmark.

Denigration of expertise, alternative facts, those who question the narrative being classed as enemies of the people, where else do we hear such narratives being pushed

polesheep wrote: »
    I'm curious how you know this. We are only ever told 'healthcare' staff. Anecdotally, I'm given to understand that it doesn't seem to be front line staff or hospital staff that are mostly affected. It seems to be nursing and care home staff. It would be very helpful if we were given more accurate information.

thats a really good point, i dont know the full facts, i guess i should have said, the majority of covid patience work in the health care sector, theres very little absolute info regarding this, as far as im aware, i know a cleaner in my local hospital, a part of her job was to clean covid wards, on ****e money!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 127 ✭✭Hannibal36

again, this is not a flu, far from it in fact, its far far more serious, theres plenty of information coming back from within the health care system to prove this, these in fact are the real facts.

to answer your previous question regarding the well being of my economy, it deteriorated quickly at the beginning of covid, as my mental health services were severely cut back, which resulted in high elevations of anxiety and very low mood(depression), thankfully, our health care system was able to catch me, and provide me with medication, which is helping to resolve my economic issues, and my mental health services are slowly returning, but its a very different world now, so things may never truly return to normal, but other than that, im good.

i will partially agree though, some very wealthy individuals are more than likely making out like bandits, as they always do, particularly in downturns, as thats what they do, and we continually allow it, go humans!

With the greatest of respect can you explain and i have asked this a number of times i have yet to get an answer from any of you.

But can you explain how the leader of our country,a doctor no less on the frontline,6 months into the pandemic,didn't seem to realise it was a serious virus when he allowed thousands to gather to protest and felt like working movie quotes into his speeches on said "pandemic". It didn't seem very serious to him and he knows more about the virus than a lot of us.

Or how about - They have been preparing for the possibility that it might come back again? Doesn't sound as alarming though, does it?

Or how about - They have been preparing for the possibility that it might come back again? Doesn't sound as alarming though, does it?

unfortunately it looks like second waves are inevitable

unfortunately it looks like second waves are inevitable

No, it doesn't.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,379 ✭✭✭FintanMcluskey

Won't be any hassle to withstand it I reckon.

They can just cancel every other procedure and let citizen's suffer and die from other causes.

No need for triage then.

Only a Covid death is actually a death it seems.

Hannibal36 wrote: »
    With the greatest of respect can you explain and i have asked this a number of times i have yet to get an answer from any of you.

But can you explain how the leader of our country,a doctor no less on the frontline,6 months into the pandemic,didn't seem to realise it was a serious virus when he allowed thousands to gather to protest and felt like working movie quotes into his speeches on said "pandemic". It didn't seem very serious to him and he knows more about the virus than a lot of us.

leo hasnt worked as a doctor for a long time, he may not know more than some citizens, but he is a very intelligent chap. we virtually had no knowledge of this virus when it begun, thats humanity as a whole, not just us irish folk. but we ve learned extremely quickly, its impressive to see how efficient and quickly our global health and research systems reacted to this, and still are, its something to be proud of, but this virus is complex, it effectively shuts down our immune system, this is the real deal, this is what we ve be warned about for years

• Advertisement

No, it doesn't.

according to history, it is

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement