Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Relaxation of Restrictions, Part IV - **Read OP for Mod Warnings**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 29,324 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Won't be any hassle to withstand it I reckon.

They can just cancel every other procedure and let citizen's suffer and die from other causes.

No need for triage then.

Only a Covid death is actually a death it seems.

so have whats wrong with our health care systems?

Hannibal36 wrote: »
    With the greatest of respect can you explain and i have asked this a number of times i have yet to get an answer from any of you.

But can you explain how the leader of our country,a doctor no less on the frontline,6 months into the pandemic,didn't seem to realise it was a serious virus when he allowed thousands to gather to protest and felt like working movie quotes into his speeches on said "pandemic". It didn't seem very serious to him and he knows more about the virus than a lot of us.

Didn't prevent does not equal allowed. And Varadkar choosing to work a couple of in jokes into speeches does not mean its not a global pandemic. You make think it was not appropriate, but does not materially change any facts. Have you not laughed at anything relating to covid since march? Finding humour in difficult situations is a human trait. Do you excoriate people at a funeral who share a joke about the deceased?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 127 ✭✭Hannibal36

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    leo hasnt worked as a doctor for a long time, he may not know more than some citizens, but he is a very intelligent chap. we virtually had no knowledge of this virus when it begun, thats humanity as a whole, not just us irish folk. but we ve learned extremely quickly, its impressive to see how efficient and quickly our global health and research systems reacted to this, and still are, its something to be proud of, but this virus is complex, it effectively shuts down our immune system, this is the real deal, this is what we ve be warned about for years

Cop yourself on will you,the pandemic began last year in China and Leo knew nothing about it 6 months later?when he forced us all to be locked indoors but BLM protesters were deemed immune.

Them Belarusians must be made of some superior genes then because it is not deadly in Belarus,it seems it is only deadly in western wealthy nations that can afford to milked by the WHO.

Cop yourself on will you,the pandemic began last year in China and Leo knew nothing about it 6 months later?when he forced us all to be locked indoors but BLM protesters were deemed immune.

Them Belarusians must be made of some superior genes then because it is not deadly in Belarus,it seems it is only deadly in western wealthy nations that can afford to milked by the WHO.

oh god!, leo and co were well aware of the virus months ago, very few humans truly understood its real dangers, we re still learning, some very interesting interviews out there with researchers on the front line, including irish folk, well worth a gander

i personally believe, we ve made our western economies so efficient, they are now in fact extremely fragile towards major shocks such as pandemics

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,950 ✭✭✭polesheep

according to history, it is

As this is the first time for Covid-19 there is no history.

• Advertisement

polesheep wrote: »
    As this is the first time for Covid-19 there is no history.

first time for covid, not first time for pandemics, yes theres an element of assumptions, but all past pandemics have experienced second and sometimes subsequent waves, so going by that, a second wave is highly likely

Didn't prevent does not equal allowed. And Varadkar choosing to work a couple of in jokes into speeches does not mean its not a global pandemic. You make think it was not appropriate, but does not materially change any facts. Have you not laughed at anything relating to covid since march? Finding humour in difficult situations is a human trait. Do you excoriate people at a funeral who share a joke about the deceased?

Completely avoiding the thousands that gathered on mass to protest about something in America i see.

You guys will say anything,you do realise Irish people had to die not being able to touch their family and the last thing they seen was people around them in space suits treating them like lepers before they died.

And you think its normal to work movie quotes into speeches about this actual tragedy for a bet no less,people have died,people are dying,lives are being ruined daily,show some respect.Do we tell jokes at funeral masses?

If only we were more like Belarus

https://www.newstatesman.com/world/europe/2020/06/how-poor-handling-covid-19-has-caused-uproar-belarus

• Registered Users Posts: 7,572 ✭✭✭Penfailed

But can you explain how the leader of our country,a doctor no less on the frontline,6 months into the pandemic,didn't seem to realise it was a serious virus when he allowed thousands to gather to protest and felt like working movie quotes into his speeches on said "pandemic". It didn't seem very serious to him and he knows more about the virus than a lot of us.

He didn't 'allow' it. He didn't give it his blessing. He didn't tell them to go ahead. He told people to stay at home and stay apart.

Gigs '24 - Ben Ottewell and Ian Ball (Gomez), The Jesus & Mary Chain, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Pearl Jam, Green Day, Stendhal Festival, Forest Fest, Electric Picnic, Ride, PJ Harvey, Pixies, Public Service Broadcasting, Therapy?, IDLES(x2)

Completely avoiding the thousands that gathered on mass to protest about something in America i see.

You guys will say anything,you do realise Irish people had to die not being able to touch their family and the last thing they seen was people around them in space suits treating them like lepers before they died.

And you think its normal to work movie quotes into speeches about this actual tragedy for a bet no less,people have died,people are dying,lives are being ruined daily,show some respect.Do we tell jokes at funeral masses?

Yes, yes we do, all the time.

• Advertisement

jaysis, this is even more bizarre,you want to reopen the economy, yet you re deeply concerned for dying people, very strange stuff

Yes, yes we do, all the time.

Well we have been to different funerals i guess i seen nothing but respect at any funerals i went to.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,978 ✭✭✭✭Stark

I've been to a few where there was a joke told or two.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,379 ✭✭✭FintanMcluskey

oh god!, leo and co were well aware of the virus months ago, very few humans truly understood its real dangers, we re still learning, some very interesting interviews out there with researchers on the front line, including irish folk, well worth a gander

That Gerry Killeen lad has done some interesting interviews alright. I imagine his ideas will go down in history

• Registered Users Posts: 12,851 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

Coronavirus: Only 4,100 calls made to check up on 60,000 arrivals to Dublin Airport

Figures show percentage of follow-up calls being answered appears to be declining

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/coronavirus-only-4-100-calls-made-to-check-up-on-60-000-arrivals-to-dublin-airport-1.4311056

:D

So our govt is telling us to do a staycation, while it cant even be bothered to ring people who have arrived here from US, etc.? Beautiful

Agree with you on this.

Listened to a person from HSE saying its only Irish coming back, but this is bull

Stark wrote: »
    I've been to a few where there was a joke told or two.

A respectful joke in memory of the person that passed,i never seen a priest try to work movie quotes into the mass for a bet,it could have happened and if it did that would be highly disrespectful too.

Well we have been to different funerals i guess i seen nothing but respect at any funerals i went to.

Laughing is not disrespect. There is a great tradition in Irish funerals of remembering and respecting the deceased through humour.

The balkans are treating this much more lightly than we are. The measures we have in place, even when pubs and schools return, will prevent exponential type growth as seen in March

Not true. Croatia lockdown started early.

• 27 February: carnival festivities are cancelled
    • 10 March: schools and universities are closed
    • 12 March: Olympic flame is lit in Ancient Olympia with a handful of VIP guests; Greece confirms first Covid-19 death
    • 13 March: cafes and restaurants are shut
    • 22 March: restrictions on movement imposed

Neighbour was not allowed to fly home and see his family in Croatia in March or April

• Registered Users Posts: 7,572 ✭✭✭Penfailed

Laughing is not disrespect. There is a great tradition in Irish funerals of remembering and respecting the deceased through humour.

...and at wakes.

Gigs '24 - Ben Ottewell and Ian Ball (Gomez), The Jesus & Mary Chain, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Pearl Jam, Green Day, Stendhal Festival, Forest Fest, Electric Picnic, Ride, PJ Harvey, Pixies, Public Service Broadcasting, Therapy?, IDLES(x2)

When did Leo tell the joke? I never seen him laugh? Tell me where was the joke?

The joke was on us,an in house joke during an important speech in seemingly a "pandemic"

This is completely different to telling a joke at a funeral,he didn't tell a joke we were not in on it,if we were that would be different.

What if i went to a funeral and started working movie quotes into my conversations with the family and then went home and laughed with my boyfriend about it,you think that's not disrespectful?

That's fine is it,the Irish tradition of making people laugh even though the only people laughing are me and my friends in on the joke.

• Advertisement

Not true. Croatia lockdown started early.

• 27 February: carnival festivities are cancelled
    • 10 March: schools and universities are closed
    • 12 March: Olympic flame is lit in Ancient Olympia with a handful of VIP guests; Greece confirms first Covid-19 death
    • 13 March: cafes and restaurants are shut
    • 22 March: restrictions on movement imposed

Neighbour was not allowed to fly home and see his family in Croatia in March or April

A lot of places in central and eastern Europe seemed to think they had job done in May

• Registered Users Posts: 7,857 ✭✭✭growleaves

The biggest thing to hurt the credibility of the lockdown in this country was the go-ahead of the BLM march when gatherings were banned. Leo winked at it by saying "Racism is a virus" directly afterwards and the guards did not break it up or issue fines. There was a bit of censure by the authorities a day or two later when they saw the reaction of the ordinary locked-down person.

Obviously if we really were in a WWII-like struggle for existence, the usual rotation from one news-cycle cause celebré to another (a sudden switch to an anti-racist crisis/narrative abrogating the pandemic) would be suspended for the duration.

Pretty much everyone in the country understood that instantly bar a few regulars on this forum asking "What's the big deal?"

When did Leo tell the joke? I never seen him laugh? Tell me where was the joke?

The joke was on us,an in house joke during an important speech in seemingly a "pandemic"

This is completely different to telling a joke at a funeral,he didn't tell a joke we were not in on it,if we were that would be different.

What if i went to a funeral and started working movie quotes into my conversations with the family and then went home and laughed with my boyfriend about it,you think that's not disrespectful?

That's fine is it,the Irish tradition of making people laugh even though the only people laughing are me and my friends in on the joke.

Its what we do.

Why the quotation marks on pandemic?

A lot of places in central and eastern Europe seemed to think they had job done in May

Their numbers indicated like ours did in June.

But holiday season is massive to these countries so all risks will be taken.

Its what we do.

Why the quotation marks on pandemic?

We mock people behind their backs at funerals? I don't,personally i try to be upfront with people and speak clear and honest.I don't work quotes into my conversations with people for a bet,at the expense of the person i am speaking to.

Because it's not a pandemic,just one in name only,an alleged pandemic but not a real one.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,044 ✭✭✭TaurenDruid

We mock people behind their backs at funerals? I don't,personally i try to be upfront with people and speak clear and honest.I don't work quotes into my conversations with people for a bet,at the expense of the person i am speaking to.

Reduced to putting words in people's mouths...
    Because it's not a pandemic,just one in name only,an alleged pandemic but not a real one.

The numbers prove you wrong, but if that's what you're coming out with, I'd question whether it's a good use of anyone's time responding further.

Maybe you should go look for the conspiracy theory thread?

Sharing a joke is not mocking people. Working quotes into speeches did not materially change what was being said and was not at the expense of anyone. Should he have done, no, but no one was mocked or misled in any way

And your second statement - come on, what is it then? Even if no one was to die its a pandemic. All credibility lost

• Registered Users Posts: 7,636 ✭✭✭Doctor Jimbob

The whole world is just pretending there's a pandemic?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 837 ✭✭✭John O.Groats

It`s not a real pandemic?!!!!! I would ask are you for real?

• Advertisement

Reduced to putting words in people's mouths...

The numbers prove you wrong, but if that's what you're coming out with, I'd question whether it's a good use of anyone's time responding further.

Maybe you should go look for the conspiracy theory thread?

Why not tin foil hat man,that's weak man but not one bit new.

Where are these numbers?I mean because the numbers i get from the Hopkins college must be showing different than the ones u are getting,where are you getting your figures from i would love you to point me in the direction of somewhere else with reliable figures on the death rate.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement