Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Relaxation of Restrictions, Part IV - **Read OP for Mod Warnings**

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 23,285 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ten of Swords

Jayesdiem, you are still banned from posting in this thread and you know this because your latest ban from the covid forum was the latest in a string of escalating bans because you keep posting in this thread.

This is your final warning, if you post in this thread one more time I will ban you from this forum permenantly

• Registered Users Posts: 2,010 ✭✭✭GooglePlus

The world's gone mad

• Registered Users Posts: 3,447 ✭✭✭Ginger n Lemon

The world has truly gone mad

A FURTHER NINE people with Covid-19 have died in Ireland, the Department of Health confirmed this evening.

There have also been an additional seven cases reported to health officials in Ireland today.

Eight of today’s confirmed deaths occurred in April, May and June this year.

Seven new cases today. 7.

Keeping pubs in 3 week further lockdown will go down as the dumbest decision politicians have ever made. But when asked, later on, why the extension - they ll relay the medical advice. We do live afterall, in a Republic of medical advice of Ireland. :rolleyes: as is, 4 days of this week we've kept over 15,000 pub staff at home collecting what will soon become 300 euro weekly payment for every 1 person who died with covid. Most outrageous thing is we dont know who died, how old were they, how many underlying conditions they had or whether covid was even the main cause of death.

• Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭AUDI20

Idbatterim wrote: »
    Why are the covid bedwetters leaving their house to go shopping etc or coming in contact with any one. If they are so selfless and concerned about others?

Jesus if the mickey mouse virus generates this hysteria, imagine what an actual serious one would do.... we can go back to feudalism...

Very enlightening post as usual, Mickey Mouse virus says a lot about your level of intelligence,

• Registered Users Posts: 19,407 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Why are the covid bedwetters leaving their house to go shopping etc or coming in contact with any one. If they are so selfless and concerned about others?

Jesus if the mickey mouse virus generates this hysteria, imagine what an actual serious one would do.... we can go back to feudalism...

Covid bedwetters Lol. Them to a T.
    They’re the exact same loons that were queuing everywhere and clearing the stores of bog roll. Selfish arses

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,852 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

AUDI20 wrote: »
    Very enlightening post as usual, Mickey Mouse virus says a lot about your level of intelligence,

More deaths from road accidents and probably work place deaths... take in the roads and everyone stop working... you can live forever....

• Registered Users Posts: 19,407 ✭✭✭✭road_high

More deaths from road accidents and probably work place deaths... take in the roads and everyone stop working... you can live forever....

Don’t give them ideas..the “new normal” cult wouldn’t hesitate to do either if they could!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 296 ✭✭Golf is my Game

Keeping pubs in 3 week further lockdown will go down as the dumbest decision politicians have ever made.

No its spot on. You have to close the pubs at least until late September to be on the safe side of the number until people are pretty much all back from holidays and the schools have been open a few weeks or whatever. We all likes to criticise the politicians and they get a lot wrong and have to answer for, but when the rare case of them getting it right happens then you have to say fair play and not just complain about them.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,953 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

I don't see or hear a mad clamour to reopen the pubs, except on here TBH.

But that's the nature of many comments on the thread, to be contrary, and I don't think it is reflected in real life out there much.

Most people just shrugged and got on with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭ilovesmybrick

A FURTHER NINE people with Covid-19 have died in Ireland, the Department of Health confirmed this evening.

Eight of today’s confirmed deaths occurred in April, May and June this year.

See this is the utter bull**** of the reporting that is currently going on. Don't get me wrong, I know that this is a vicious virus and quite deadly, but running headlines that suggest 9 people died today is disingenuous at best, and blatant nonsense. This type of nonsense is the reason that you end up with people not engaging with public health notices, vacinations, or generally good health advisory warnings.

Christ if I'd tried that disingenuous representation of figures in my degrees I would have been hounded out of it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,572 ✭✭✭Penfailed

But that's the nature of many comments on the thread, to be contrary, and I don't think it is reflected in real life out there much.

Exactly.

Gigs '24 - Ben Ottewell and Ian Ball (Gomez), The Jesus & Mary Chain, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Pearl Jam, Green Day, Stendhal Festival, Forest Fest, Electric Picnic, Ride, PJ Harvey, Pixies, Public Service Broadcasting, Therapy?, IDLES(x2)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,444 ✭✭✭robbiezero

No its spot on. You have to close the pubs at least until late September to be on the safe side of the number until people are pretty much all back from holidays and the schools have been open a few weeks or whatever. We all likes to criticise the politicians and they get a lot wrong and have to answer for, but when the rare case of them getting it right happens then you have to say fair play and not just complain about them.

They can't even do a simple f**king thing like easily and clearly announce that 1 person has died in the last 24 hours.

In the day of push notifications and live updates and a clickbait media it really isn't good enough to lead with "9 deaths" and know perfectly well that all the clickbait will lead with that headline.

• Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭dubdaymo

I have to admit that I can't help feeling that the death figures announcements are being manipulated.

After a few days with few or none suddenly it shoots up to 9 creating the impression that things have suddenly turned worse when that is not the case. I got quite a shock when I heard the 9 only to discover that when you drill down there was only one death today.

The headline should have been that there was only one death today and then an addendum that 8 more come from previous months going back to April. It's not what you say but how you say it that counts.

As well as that the figures should always have been accurately divided at least between those who died in the confines of a nursing/care home and those who died in the outside world. That's the only way to gauge what is actually happening out there in the big bad world.

I watch the 6.01 news every evening and I have never heard those figures given out.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,379 ✭✭✭FintanMcluskey

AUDI20 wrote: »

No it says some can apply critical thinking.

Most are afraid because they are told to be afraid.

The same ones that are told it was suddenly safe to drive 20km from their homes after 2 months of stupid restrictions.

The same ones that don't challenge anything authority tells them.

The reporting of deaths this evening is just ridiculous. And its the reason why anyone with a functioning thought process will make their own decision about holidays abroad and having a house party with lots of friends.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,444 ✭✭✭robbiezero

dubdaymo wrote: »
    I have to admit that I can't help feeling that the death figures announcements are being manipulated.

After a few days with few or none suddenly it shoots up to 9 creating the impression that things have suddenly turned worse when that is not the case. I got quite a shock when I heard the 9 only to discover that when you drill down there was only one death today.

The headline should have been that there was only one death today and then an addendum that 8 more come from previous months going back to April. It's not what you say but how you say it that counts.

As well as that the figures should always have been accurately divided at least between those who died in the confines of a nursing/care home and those who died in the outside world. That's the only way to gauge what is actually happening out there in the big bad world.

I watch the 6.01 news every evening and I have never heard those figures given out.

I do think that they are very happy to keep promoting the climate of fear.
    At this point a 5 year old would know what the headlines of the press conference were going to be after the opening line.

The biggest issue for us is that the spontaneity of normal life seems to be gone for now.

You know, you go for a drive or take the DART somewhere, go for a walk and decide to have a bite to eat. It ain't that easy anymore just dropping into a restaurant/food pub anymore. That's the only thing.

But getting good at the old picnic basket thing. Toilets and their proximity are a bit of an issue though.

But we will get over it. Bushes out in the Wicklow hills are ubiquitous!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 474 ✭✭ChelseaRentBoy

Looks like the virus is surging worldwide again. Not looking forward to the coming Autumn and Winter if things keep on this track.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,379 ✭✭✭FintanMcluskey

The biggest issue for us is that the spontaneity of normal life seems to be gone for now.

You know, you go for a drive or take the DART somewhere, go for a walk and decide to have a bite to eat. It ain't that easy anymore just dropping into a restaurant/food pub anymore. That's the only thing.

But getting good at the old picnic basket thing. Toilets and their proximity are a bit of an issue though.

But we will get over it. Bushes out in the Wicklow hills are ubiquitous!

Yeah we flushed kids futures down the toilet and will get them to pay the bill for the overreaction for the rest of their lives but at least the bushes are plentiful in Wicklow!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,501 ✭✭✭bb1234567

Hannibal36 wrote: »
    I would beg to differ based on figures our economy faces the flu every year,the facts are there in the lockdown v no lockdown countries that it is no worse than a seasonal flu,its just a matter of if you want the facts or not,and what is the reason you don't want the facts? because you are doing well from the bond money.

Excess deaths equating to 0.3% of the entire population of New York died during March and April alone. Do you believe this to be common occurrence during flu season? If it was, New York would have a serious depopulation issue

• Registered Users Posts: 520 ✭✭✭lukas8888

Looks like the virus is surging worldwide again. Not looking forward to the coming Autumn and Winter if things keep on this track.
    But guess what,after reading many of your posts i have the sneaking feeling that you are.

• Advertisement

Yeah we flushed kids futures down the toilet and will get them to pay the bill for the overreaction for the rest of their lives but at least the bushes are plentiful in Wicklow!!

Relax and breathe.

Every generation pays the bills for past borrowings, nothing unusual about that. If you really think that opening pubs will sort out our economy, I'm sorry it won't.

But having said that, we are nearly there. Getting gradually to where some screamers want to be.

Patience is everything for the good of us all and the SCHOOL openings, which in fairness is a big priority now, if DES gets its act together. Over to you Norma.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

Nail on the head.

Everyone else in the country getting on with it and continuing with life. Adjusting and managing.

In here the usual suspects still ranting and raving about the same things for months now. Oblivious. I don't think the restrictions are really the root cause of all those frustrations. I'm actually beginning to feel a certain degree of sympathy for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,572 ✭✭✭Penfailed

How are kids futures being flushed down the toilet exactly?

Gigs '24 - Ben Ottewell and Ian Ball (Gomez), The Jesus & Mary Chain, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Pearl Jam, Green Day, Stendhal Festival, Forest Fest, Electric Picnic, Ride, PJ Harvey, Pixies, Public Service Broadcasting, Therapy?, IDLES(x2)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

No it says some can apply critical thinking.

Yep, definitely a few examples that spring to mind alright...

Arghus wrote: »
    Nail on the head.

Everyone else in the country getting on with it and continuing with life. Adjusting and managing.

In here the usual suspects still ranting and raving about the same things for months now. Oblivious. I don't think the restrictions are really the root cause of all those frustrations.

It is great fun reading some of their posts, can literally see the spittle of anger coming out of their mouths. For what purpose I don't know. The pubs will re open when they are allowed to do so.

Must be the fact that some people think they are in straightjackets or something. They are not.

road_high wrote: »
    Covid bedwetters Lol. Them to a T.
    They’re the exact same loons that were queuing everywhere and clearing the stores of bog roll. Selfish arses

Yes, bedwetters, how funny, how very very funny. And so witty. Billy Connolly or Bill Hicks have nothing on these guys

• Registered Users Posts: 5,654 ✭✭✭Charles Babbage

Roads are a very good example. Road deaths are now a fraction of what they used to be because of better driving, better engineering, better cars, following simple steps like wearing seatbelts. There may be some damage done by Covid but it will be minimised if we all have to follow the rules, just as we do on the road. We still can use the roads, but in a responsible way. Life will go on under Covid but in a responsible way.

If this forum had existed 30 years ago there would be the same suspects ranting that seat belts are an infringement on liberty and that you can drive rightly with 6 or 7 pints in you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 296 ✭✭Golf is my Game

Roads are a very good example. Road deaths are now a fraction of what they used to be because of better driving, better engineering, better cars, following simple steps like wearing seatbelts. There may be some damage done by Covid but it will be minimised if we all have to follow the rules, just as we do on the road. We still can use the roads, but in a responsible way. Life will go on under Covid but in a responsible way.

If this forum had existed 30 years ago there would be the same suspects ranting that seat belts are an infringement on liberty and that you can drive rightly with 6 or 7 pints in you.

Thats a good point and I think thats what their doing where people can be safe. On the pubs Id probably go for it being restricted to older people in the beginning say over 65s where theres a limit onthe numbers and where it wouldnt get out of hand like if theres a free for all.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,550 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

It is great fun reading some of their posts, can literally see the spittle of anger coming out of their mouths. For what purpose I don't know. The pubs will re open when they are allowed to do so.

Must be the fact that some people think they are in straightjackets or something. They are not.

Agreed these threads have been a blast during all this. The conspiracies and complete lack of reality has been amazing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,852 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

A consultant who did an excellent job of tryimg to predict how this would pan out, reckined 30-40 deaths day woukd be what public deemed acceptable to get back to some normality. He was wrong , its zero. You couldnt account for the idiocy of policy , public and politicians here .

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement