Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Relaxation of Restrictions, Part IV - **Read OP for Mod Warnings**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

lukas8888 wrote: »
    No,whats your point?

Try to guess.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 296 ✭✭Golf is my Game

Appreciate your help,now will you guarantee the covid payments and wage subsidies for the long term,as i fear they will be needed when a large number of retail,leisure aviation etc fold.

I think we have to because its best all round. Until theres a vacine then its better to support them that has to lose their jobs or close or whatever and I think we should all be happy to do than not just think good luck to them im all right Jack. Because thats better then hurting all the economy with more lockdowns and then the country being worse off all round. Thats the thing of it. So yes we has to support pub workers and air travel people and the likes. Its in everyones good to do that.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,179 ✭✭✭✭fr336

road_high wrote: »
    BS- you need to get out more. There's a whole lot of people in between that are neither of variations of both.
    To me the so called "sensible" you are eulogising are some of the most reckless- destroying our economy, kids education, health screening etc all because they are too scared to fcukin live. Pack of absolute brain dead brainwashed loons.

Brainwashed by who?

• Registered Users Posts: 520 ✭✭✭lukas8888

Arghus wrote: »
    Try to guess.

I get the smart arse wake from the dream comment,is that the best reply you can make to my post.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,953 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Appreciate your help,now will you guarantee the covid payments and wage subsidies for the long term,as i fear they will be needed when a large number of retail,leisure aviation etc fold.

Very happy to help, but how could you expect me to guarantee anything.

• Advertisement

I get the smart arse wake from the dream comment,is that the best reply you can make to my post.

I don't know what else is necessary for me to say.

You said it yourself that life doesn't feel like it did in March/April.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 837 ✭✭✭John O.Groats

Idbatterim wrote: »
    Why are the covid bedwetters leaving their house to go shopping etc or coming in contact with any one. If they are so selfless and concerned about others?

Jesus if the mickey mouse virus generates this hysteria, imagine what an actual serious one would do.... we can go back to feudalism...

Mickey mouse virus? Covid bedwetters? You must be on a windup. This can`t possibly be a serious post.

I don't know what else is necessary for me to say.

You said it yourself that life doesn't feel like it did in March/April.

But you maintain that everything is almost back to normal.

I wouldn’t say this thread is funny, quite the opposite.

The economy tanking is absolutely not funny. Record numbers unemployed is not funny. Not educating our children for 6 months and counting is also no laughing matter. Cancelling very important screenings/tests and treatments for months on end is not funny. 350000 still getting a Covid payment that is now extended is not funny.

Unfortunately most people just can’t see this. Shielded by a government prepared to borrow billions and billions to kick the can further down the road rather than make any decisions. God help them if the Oxford vaccine doesn’t work out.

All of this for an illness that hasn’t even killed 2000 people with the government admitting that the deaths have been overstated.

Maybe the reality will hit one day, as you wave your kids off at the airport, wishing there was something for them to stay here for. But we didn’t prioritise their futures. We selfishly worried about our own health.

I wish people were as concerned about the youth during normal times. Instead they're told to stop moaning, accept their lot and get on with it. Something doesn't add up...

• Registered Users Posts: 16,023 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

I cant leave the country without probaly losing my job, how is that normal. I cant go to watch any sport, how is that normal, weddings, christenings, funerals cant happen as before. How is that nornal. How can anyone say we are nearly back to normal.

• Advertisement

But you maintain that everything is almost back to normal.

Correct.

Yeah we flushed kids futures down the toilet and will get them to pay the bill for the overreaction for the rest of their lives but at least the bushes are plentiful in Wicklow!!

Again if only the future of the youth was so taken into consideration in normal times. It's not okay to "flush their future down the toilet" for a killer virus but it's just fine when corporations and banks are rolling in it while the country and public services go to the dogs. I don't remember Covid being responsible for homelesss youth on the streets.

Correct.

Now i know i am definitely dreaming.

So pubs, clubs and the entire entertainment industry.... do we just keep paying them to sit at home and get the banks to give them a free pass on their mortgages/ loans for the next year? Keep borrowing to kick the can further down the road?

People on this thread need to stop saying that things are back to normal. We wouldn’t be paying 350000 people the Covid payment if things were back to normal.

niallo27 wrote: »
    I cant leave the country without probaly losing my job, how is that normal. I cant go to watch any sport, how is that normal, weddings, christenings, funerals cant happen as before. How is that nornal. How can anyone say we are nearly back to normal.

Anyone can say it, but they are wrong.

And the figures back it up.

So pubs, clubs and the entire entertainment industry.... do we just keep paying them to sit at home and get the banks to give them a free pass on their mortgages/ loans for the next year? Keep borrowing to kick the kick further down the road?

People on this thread need to stop saying that things are back to normal. We wouldn’t be paying 350000 people the Covid payment if things were back to normal.

Phase 4 has been delayed for a matter of weeks. Where did you get next year from?

fr336 wrote: »
    Phase 4 has been delayed for a matter of weeks. Where did you get next year from?

Poster above said pubs should stay closed until a vaccine arrives.

I’ll be shocked if pubs are actually allowed open in a matter of weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,595 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

Ireland is absolutely not back to normal...I'm working from my bedroom 5 days a week, then on the weekend I can't go to a rugby game then a bar/club like I would have before.

You can call it justified, but it ain't normal.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,852 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

There seems to be a lot of anger and all that on this thread.

I cannot understand it, we have done very well. A lot of things are open again now. It must be the pubs issue so.

But whingers will whinge. No matter what.
    Penfailed wrote: »
    So he didn't do an excellent job then?

He nailed a lot of it. He was way off with the figures on deaths though... however we are an extreme , other countries have struck far better balances...

Now i know i am definitely dreaming.

Let's look at what I did say:
    nearly everything in the country, aside from some pubs, has been back to some normality now for over a month.

Some important words there, which maybe you didn't notice:

Nearly everything: as in not everything in the country is back to normal yet.

Some normality: things are not exactly as they were, but we're getting there, normal life is reasserting itself, but it's a gradual process. But, in general, life is more normal for people than what it was a few months ago. That's undeniable.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,444 ✭✭✭robbiezero

I don't get the nonchalance about all the borrowing and racking up of debt that we will need to do. I understand that we may never need to pay it back and possibly inflation might serve to reduce it organically, but surely at some level of debt, the countries position could potentially be fairly precarious e.g. if in 10 years time when we need to refinance our debt and the markets are the equivalent of 2008, the interest rates could put a sizable hole in our budget

Some normality: things are not exactly as they were, but we're getting there, normal life is reasserting itself, but it's a gradual process.

We are still miles away though, we are getting there slowly but for me any sense of normality feels a lifetime away

robbiezero wrote: »
    I don't get the nonchalance about all the borrowing and racking up of debt that we will need to do. I understand that we may never need to pay it back and possibly inflation might serve to reduce it organically, but surely at some level of debt, the countries position could potentially be fairly precarious e.g. if in 10 years time when we need to refinance our debt and the markets are the equivalent of 2008, the interest rates could put a sizable hole in our budget

But as mcwillians said if the interest rates are high it means things are booming, the wont rise if we are still in recession.

A lot of angst here.

But it is not replicated elsewhere. Just take a deep breath and go with the flow. We are doing very well infection wise.

Some normality: things are not exactly as they were, but we're getting there, normal life is reasserting itself, but it's a gradual process. But, in general, life is more normal for people than what it was a few months ago. That's undeniable.

Thank you for the clarification,but my point remains we are a long long way from normal.

Not much the screamers can do now.

The pubs will open when allowed to do so.

Good. The LVA or the other crowd wouldn't give you a packet of peanuts or a packet of Tayto to help you on your way. Miserable gits.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,654 ✭✭✭Charles Babbage

Having most things is the very reason we shouldnt have pubs. Theres enough risk level already with the important stuff so its the right thing to keep the risk low by staying away from stuff that not at all essential. If theres a resonable prospect of a vaccine next year then I think that seals it and pubs should stall all closed food or not until we all get the vaccine.

There are pubs that can probably be operated successfully, others need to be the closely regulated. The "oul fellows" pub may work, the "party" pub may not. We need detail, not blanket opening and closing.

We can't be truly "normal" until we get a vaccine, no point in pretending otherwise.

There are pubs that can probably be operated successfully, others need to be the closely regulated. The "oul fellows" pub may work, the "party" pub may not. We need detail, not blanket opening and closing.

We can't be truly "normal" until we get a vaccine, no point in pretending otherwise.

And if there is no vaccine?

Should we continue to live in fear of a virus with a tiny death rate?

The death rate is only part of it.

A bigger problem is how infectious it is and how easily outbreaks can get out of hand, with the potential to overwhelm your health system.

Maybe 90-95% of people won't need hospital treatment, but that remaining 10-5% could all need it simultaneously, or near enough to that. And it has the potential to infect a lot of people quickly. It's very easy to lose control of the situation.

And then it has other knock on effects. People who would otherwise survive, don't make it because they can't get access to treatment, people die of other causes because the health system can't cope with the excess burden.

That's why governments are so scared, because outbreaks can get out of control quickly and easily, like what's happening right now in many parts of the US.

Everyone hopes that a vaccine or an effective treatment comes along sooner rather than later because then the endgame is a lot less clear. There isn't really an easy way out otherwise.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 296 ✭✭Golf is my Game

No,then we have to keep that it is only a tiny death rate by paying the price of doing without nonessential parts of life even if we like them that add high risk like closing pubs completely or keeping it only for the nine euro food thing, only for over 65s, or maybe a rationing system for it. If theres no vacine then somethings gotta give give like the Jack Nickolson movie and there no point kidding ourselves that we can have everything we did have and say sure live has to go on. The the death rate wont be tiny and youl be sorry. So pubs never opening again like we used to know them is a real possibility and we shouldnt dismiss that. Same for nightclubs, cinemas, big crows and the football and whatever.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement