Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Relaxation of Restrictions, Part IV - **Read OP for Mod Warnings**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,654 ✭✭✭Charles Babbage

That is not comparable to Ireland.

A few countries were forced into harsh lockdowns as they were some of the first impacted and couldn't get control of the illness. Those lockdowns did not last long and most of those countries started reopening months ago now.

We had a headstart. And the illness never really got bad over here. Didn't stop us keeping a travel restriction in place up until a few weeks back.

We did run behind other places by a couple of weeks. It may not have been "really bad" here, but it wasn't great. Our restrictions were not as harsh as a consequence, perhaps if they had been harsher they would have ended sooner.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,969 ✭✭✭Assetbacked

We did run behind other places by a couple of weeks. It may not have been "really bad" here, but it wasn't great. Our restrictions were not as harsh as a consequence, perhaps if they had been harsher they would have ended sooner.

It only got bad in residential/care/nursing home settings due to total HSE/NPHET/government failure. As a result of a fear of being found out for this massive mistake, they have been persisting with OTT restrictions far beyond have been necessary, the necessity being measured with our incredibly stable data for months at this stage. Tony Holohan himself said in early May that the virus was effectively extinguished in the community. Here we are nearly 3 months later and we're barely back to some level of normality but still far behind other countries in Europe and receiving inconsistent advice, such as here is a green list but non-essential travel is still the advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,953 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

The Shinners are dropping by for an anti Government rant I see. Nothing to do with the pubs at all!

The Shinners are dropping by for an anti Government rant I see. Nothing to do with the pubs at all!

You keep trolling this thread with the same rubbish and most people just ignore it. I probably should too... but

Plenty of concerns are raised on this thread that are not related to pubs at all.

People have discussed the government, schools, airports, the economy and almost every other aspect of the restrictions.

It seems to be only you that is obsessed with the pub.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,044 ✭✭✭TaurenDruid

Odd, the impression I got from the "OMG we're still in lockdown, re-open everything NOW!" crowd is that they're FFG self-employed/small business owners who really don't give a toss about anyone's health as long as their tills are open.

While some of the more illiterate ones are probably outside the GPO every Saturday, talking about the covid hoax, the NWO, big pharma, George Soros and Bill Gates.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,379 ✭✭✭FintanMcluskey

In all fairness the rhetoric pedalled in the post here is utter boloxoligy, it was the same yesterday.

But thats what the pro restriction argument is solely based upon. "Suck it up, sure isnt it grand".

Jackman25 wrote: »
    If you're not going to do it, why do you care?

Because someone asked me and I was curious. ****ing hell this place gets worse by the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

It only got bad in residential/care/nursing home settings due to total HSE/NPHET/government failure. As a result of a fear of being found out for this massive mistake, they have been persisting with OTT restrictions far beyond have been necessary, the necessity being measured with our incredibly stable data for months at this stage. Tony Holohan himself said in early May that the virus was effectively extinguished in the community. Here we are nearly 3 months later and we're barely back to some level of normality but still far behind other countries in Europe and receiving inconsistent advice, such as here is a green list but non-essential travel is still the advice.
    HIQA, HSE and care homes themselves, nobody else. NPHET just provide public health advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,451 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Am I right in saying that since the Government announcement last week there have been what, 3 or 4 deaths? I do know that there were a lot of days with no recorded deaths at all.

Good job they found all those historical deaths to announce.

Am I right in saying that since the Government announcement last week there have been what, 3 or 4 deaths? I do know that there were a lot of days with no recorded deaths at all.

Good job they found all those historical deaths to announce.

Which were all clearly announced as historical, on all the news I heard/read.

They can't win. They over-report the figures, they're criticised. They specifically announce they had some omissions and correct the figures - they're criticised.

• Advertisement

Which were all clearly announced as historical, on all the news I heard/read.

The headline on RTE news website on the day in question clearly and simply stated "9 deaths from Covid".

Not, "1 death today", not "1 death today and 8 others confirmed from previous months".

No, the headline on the national broadcaster was "9 deaths from Covid".

Save your agenda please.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,779 ✭✭✭Benimar

The headline on RTE news website on the day in question clearly and simply stated "9 deaths from Covid".

Not, "1 death today", not "1 death today and 8 others confirmed from previous months".

Save your agenda please.

Then your issue is with RTÉ, not with the Government or NPHET.

It was explicitly stated by Ronan Glynn right at the start of the press conference that 8 were historical. From day one they have announced deaths on day of notification.

Save your agenda please.

Ah, seriously? FFS!

https://www.rte.ie/news/coronavirus/2020/0723/1155184-coronavirus-ireland/

"At a media briefing this evening, the acting Chief Medical Officer, Dr Ronan Glynn, said eight of the nine deaths are late notifications that took place in April, May and June."

Second sentence of the article. It's not exactly hidden, like.

I guess maybe if you only look at headlines things might confuse you.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,549 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Ah, seriously? FFS!

"At a media briefing this evening, the acting Chief Medical Officer, Dr Ronan Glynn, said eight of the nine deaths are late notifications that took place in April, May and June."

Yep. A whole lot of issues revolve around an inability to read. Articles use too many words to understand. Should be explained in one sentence maximum.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,321 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Reckon non food pubs will still be closed after the 10th Aug cause the government are scared of a rise in numbers before schools are suppose to return

Getting pissed off at it all at this stage

Ah, seriously? FFS!

In your haste to act indignant you perhaps forgot to actually read any of my posts?

Here is a clue, my first sentence mentioned the 3/4 deaths this week. For the logical that might have been an indication that I know there weren't 9 deaths that day.

Now, do you want to try again?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,899 ✭✭✭Dickie10

a lot of pubs opening up and doing token food, espically rural pubs. only right.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

In all fairness the rhetoric pedalled in the post here is utter boloxoligy, it was the same yesterday.

But thats what the pro restriction argument is solely based upon. "Suck it up, sure isnt it grand".

Not really.

The argument is based around getting control of the outbreak of an infectious and dangerous virus and trying to protect public health.

However the "pro opening up" argument is indeed largely based around "open it up, sure isn't it grand."

Arghus wrote: »
    However the "pro opening up" argument is indeed largely based around "open it up, sure isn't it grand."

No its based around the fact little evidence exists as to the benefits of why Ireland are the most restrictive nation in Europe?

No its based around the fact little evidence exists as to the benefits of why Ireland are the most restrictive nation in Europe?

In other words: open up, sure it'll be grand.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭Jackman25

In other words: open up, sure it'll be grand.

And so far it has been and no reason to think Phase 4 would have been any different.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,549 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

PTH2009 wrote: »
    Reckon non food pubs will still be closed after the 10th Aug cause the government are scared of a rise in numbers before schools are suppose to return

Getting pissed off at it all at this stage

Hey I thought this thread wasn't about the pubs?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,436 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

Look at the current numbers, we're among the best in Europe right now

Jackman25 wrote: »
    And so far it has been and no reason to think Phase 4 would have been any different.

All thanks to our slow and steady approach in opening up.

Look at the current numbers, we're among the best in Europe right now

The best in Europe?

How exactly?

Dickie10 wrote: »
    a lot of pubs opening up and doing token food, espically rural pubs. only right.

No it’s not. They should all be closed and hopefully it will actually be remembered at licence time.

All thanks to our slow and steady approach in opening up.

You would have said the exact same had we not sped up the opening up of restrictions phases which you opposed.

I reckon you would be saying the same if we were still in Phase 1 at the moment.

Already it looks like an error to postpone Phase 4.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭fleet_admiral

My local is wedged. I left a few minutes ago because I was there since 3. They do food til 7 then the chinese kicks in

Yep. Menus from the local take away. Fair play to them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭Santy2015

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement